This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Bantam A or AA vs High School  (Read 6083 times)

toma_13

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
Bantam A or AA vs High School
« on: July 07, 2020, 09:45:58 AM »
I'm relatively new to moving my son up the ladder as he progresses (2nd year Bantam).  My choice is Bantam (either A or AA) or LAKHSL (JV or Varsity depending which one he makes)....  Can any of you experienced parents let me know of the main differences in both quality and price between Club and High School League?   Son is solid team player but not "star" quality.   Thank you.

Hockey sophist

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +50/-98
Re: Bantam A or AA vs High School
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 12:26:05 PM »
I'm relatively new to moving my son up the ladder as he progresses (2nd year Bantam).  My choice is Bantam (either A or AA) or LAKHSL (JV or Varsity depending which one he makes)....  Can any of you experienced parents let me know of the main differences in both quality and price between Club and High School League?   Son is solid team player but not "star" quality.   Thank you.
We had a similar choice last season.   BNAA or D-1 HS?   He had played BNAA the year before and it was appealing to play for his school.   D-1 was definitely more competitive than typical BNAA although if the choice is a club team like the Bears, Saints, or Kings it could be a tossup.   Probably depends on the coach and your son's social preference.  D-1 in ADHSL was competitive and out-of-state tournaments, especially in Minnesota, offered tough competition.   The opponents are bigger, faster, and more physical than BNAA.  Our son matched most HS opponents physically but he still played a little intimidated at times.  Some of these opponents are 18. It did teach him to pass quicker. 

The problem with JV is that the best players may also play Varsity and/or could play on good AA Bantam or Midget teams but the worse players are sometimes in-house level.  That is a huge variation.  If your son is used to passing, he will pass to an in-house level player who will lose the puck.  How does your son or you respond to that?   It makes for a weird game.  Doing the right thing can lead to a bad play.  It is relatively easy for a good player to go coast-to-coast at the JV level, which violates the team-oriented goal but can be confidence building in contrast to D-1 Varsity.   Watched some D-2 games but cannot speak to that level.   A good AA coach and program should be better than JV.   A key issue is when you need to make a decision.  Just be happy if your son can play this season and safely.

toma_13

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 01:47:29 PM »
Thanks for your insight.   Yes you hit it on the head when you described my boy who is pass first and wants to make the right play.. Although some would argue that will not get you noticed - but hopefully a good coach can always use that type of player.    Perhaps it would be best to try out with the AA team with a good coach.   Then have High School as a fallback.    Do you know who usually has try-outs first?  Club or HS?   I imagine even that is up in the air this year! 

Rats13

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-2
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 07:48:28 PM »
I'm under the impression the ADHSL is a higher level of hockey then most of LAKHSL?

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 10:25:01 AM »
I'm under the impression the ADHSL is a higher level of hockey then most of LAKHSL?

Depending on the team, no doubt about it.  But there are a lot of teams in the ADHSL, and not all of them are great. 

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 10:57:14 AM »
LAKSHL for what it is, is too expensive in my opinion.  The Kings have pulled out all their subsidies, and there has been a revolving door of disinterested management of it.   The league itself is on fumes -- 8 Varsity teams (with the weakest of the teams not having a JV) does not bode well for competition.

There are kids who are playing club hockey AND high school, and especially in the Ducks league these are the kids that make the difference.  The past few seasons Burbank has emerged as the strongest LAKHSL team, due to the large number of kids who previously played at the Bears.  After a number of seasons without a U16 option, the Bears have resurrected a U16 AA team, so this might put a crimp in that pipeline, but the connection is clear.

Now before we talk about Varsity vs. JV, it seems your kid is not that experienced.  They will be most likely overmatched in Varsity, and if they are easily making your local Varsity team, then that should tell you something about the talent level.  The physicality in both JV and Varsity is a real crapshoot.  Believe it or not, there are Sr's playing on JV teams. 

I would highly recommend playing club hockey if you have to make a choice.  Look at the clubs local to you, seek out the Bantam coaches and get your kid on the ice with them.  This is going on as we speak -- clinics, scrimmages, coaches times, camps etc.  You need to find out where your kid is in comparison with other players his age, meeting coaches and figuring out your plan A,B and C options.  There are kids on the ice 3+ times a week right now, preparing themselves for next season.

Ideally you would like to see a progression to AA, but only if your son will be competitive, and will be playing for a coach that is going to develop them and give them opportunities. 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 11:15:24 AM by lcadad »

toma_13

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 11:34:45 AM »
Very good info Icadad.  Have seen your posts and you seem well informed.   My son is on the ice twice a week right now so he is definitely not inactive, but can do more.   I would say his arrow is pointing up so that's why I love getting info from people like you and I'm doing my best to get him where he needs to be and doesn't regress.    Hopefully we can chat a little more soon. 

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 09:58:44 PM »
Very good info Icadad.  Have seen your posts and you seem well informed.   My son is on the ice twice a week right now so he is definitely not inactive, but can do more.   I would say his arrow is pointing up so that's why I love getting info from people like you and I'm doing my best to get him where he needs to be and doesn't regress.    Hopefully we can chat a little more soon.

Just to be clear, it's really more about kicking the tires on clubs and coaches than anything.  I'd have preferred my kid did played another sport for much of the spring and summer, but COVID19 made that impossible this year.  It also killed all the traditional tournaments, which was a good way to get some experience with a team and a coach you might not know real well. You will unfortunately have to take a more direct approach this year.