This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Tryouts are pushed agaoin  (Read 73352 times)

HockeyGuy-99

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +22/-8
Re: Tryouts are pushed agaoin
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2020, 12:31:26 PM »
AAA teams can sign but CAHA will not be approving any USA Hockey rosters for anyone to travel out of state once the "nationwide" season starts.  Come September you'll all be asking yourselves why you signed on the 24th of July. 

Play some soccer in the back or front yard to work on foot speed, play wiffle ball to keep you hand eye coordination sharp and throw the baseball around so your AAA hockey player doesn't look like a fish out of water when he joins a men's softball team when he's 22 and looking to try something new in life that he never got to try. Maybe have your kid run some routes and throw a football to him. 

If I not mistaken the two California boys that got drafted 1st round last year were the only ones in their age group that never played in the spring and summer.  They were off becoming athletes!  There's an opportunity that has been forced on each and everyone of us!  I hope you are all taking advantage of it as I'm sure we'll all be back to business of year round hockey by this time next year, being sold that you'll be left behind if you don't spend gobs of money inside my rink this off-season.  Be the daddy coach at home that's always banging on the glass at the rink.  These kids are high-end 13-14 year old boys.  They'll be back to form in 2 weeks once they get back to skating 5 days a week. 

2 Cups in LA

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +8/-31
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2020, 02:20:32 PM »
Hockey Guy 99 Your right!  Kids should be playing more than one sport. 

HM

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-2
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2020, 02:41:10 PM »
RE HockeyGuys first sentence: should that happen,  I can see players  DROP and regroup under the banner of independent teams. Not all, but certainly some. I hope CAHA doesn't try the strong arm approach.

fistocuffs

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +40/-61
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2020, 04:25:12 PM »
Here is a CAHA snippet

Member League Clubs are not permitted to form independent teams that solely participate outside of CAHA sanctioned league play. 

This has been on the books for a while if memory serves.   

AAA hockey is a very very small percentage of overall youth hockey in CA.   Here is an interesting page
https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/us-state/active-nhl-players-born-in-california-career-stats.html

8 active players.  List seems to be missing a few names, but for the names i do see - they left CA after Bantam.  Its a smattering across birth years for sure.    overall ods seem to be 1/4000.

What I have seen is that the kids that do make it are simply natural born athletes to say the least - they are "that" kid in your neighborhood that is great playing baseball, can run pretty quick, great reflexes, and most of all loves the sport - any sport.     Some kids take lessons 5 days a week - they are technically very good, but they seem to not have "it".  Those kids that have "it" will take summers off, maybe ski, maybe play golf, who knows, then they throw on the skates and in a matter of 2-3 weeks they are zipping around skating circles around everyone else. 
These kids have a shot.   They are gifted.     

So, I am of the camp that your whole future is not ruined because you cannot get on a team while COVID is ripping around the country.  If people are that worried about losing their competitive edge - i feel you lost it long ago.

Kids more often than not make it not because of the parents,  but in spite of the parents.     Most of the kids that have the chance, can play a few sports.  They pick the one they love the most - dont make them hate hockey before they turn 14.

HM

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-2
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2020, 04:52:01 PM »
I wasn't referring to member clubs. I would not expect Kings,Ducks et al to form an independent team.

JackBender

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-20
    • Tom's Chuckle Barn
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2020, 06:52:58 PM »
Sorry Fist... you lost me at Jurassic Park being the best movie ever.
I'm your Huckleberry

alfirst

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-39
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2020, 07:04:18 PM »
Nice story, Fist. You are obviously entitled to your own opinion - and the funny part you are talking about making NHL - which I e.g. did not even mention, How about - college at the most
 or just be better than average players (who take summers off due to various reasons) and having fun in games.
I can't see the future - and especially now would not care too much about 5-6 year ahead. But I do care now.
And I know for the fact that people at this age in eastern European countries spend crazy time on ice and the best of them fill the leagues afterwards - the very best NHL. They do not take summers off during the development years - 12-14.
Yes, the stars/gifted will shine no matter what - but that's a small % that you see on the front page of magazines. There are tons of hard working guys who just out skated the competition.

In any case - deal for now just to strive to be better. I am telling you - tons of kids are skating. So if you are around average - you might miss the boat... But  - it's everyone decision for sure.       

5lap5hot

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-7
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2020, 08:01:25 AM »
College is a stretch unless you want them to play ACHA DII.  The NCAA DI schools are pulling the best of the kids from Juniors very few are selected from high school to play.  That's why you get so many 20 year old freshman at the DI schools.  They had to play JRs for a couple years.  You still have to be a player with "it" to make DI.  If you want to play NCAA DIII its a bit easier, but again no scholarships unless you're 3.7 or higher since they can only offer academic scholarships.  ACHA DI and DII are good choices for a great college experience, but your still going to be paying to play hockey and you're going to have to pick your school and then try out.  NCAA DI are full up through 2005 birth year (not many spots available)so unless you're standing out now probably time to enjoy the time off.

Problem with playing different sports now is that there aren't any. 

notTHATdad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +46/-17
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2020, 10:17:44 AM »
Here is a CAHA snippet

Member League Clubs are not permitted to form independent teams that solely participate outside of CAHA sanctioned league play. 

I don't think anyone was suggesting forming independent teams. The only point was that T1EHL will go on, so there will be at least 3 existing teams in the state playing games. CAHA certainly wont get in the way of that.

Absolutely, the best hockey players tend to be the best natural athletes. I think that's very different than 'playing multiple organized sports', which is where a lot of people get it wrong. For a player taking hockey seriously at the 15+ (maybe 13+) AAA level, it's actually very difficult to commit to a second organized sport. Hockey is a 10 month a year sport (unfortunately) at this age and level. It starts with practices in August. The season (hopefully) goes to March if you make districts. There is typically about 4 weeks off at that point, then you are in to prep for tryouts and tryouts themselves.

After (or before) that, if you are good, there is probably one to three summer events worth going to - the WHL combine, the USHL combine, and then later at the 16+ point, main jr team tryout camps. Plus a lot of the better kids will do a weeks skating camp during the summer. So there is some summer time off, but if you want to look good at those camps you are still practicing.

And yes, people will bring up the occasional example of kids that did well while skipping all camps, because most of them ARE money-grabs, but the reality is that most top end kids attend at least one or two carefully selected events every summer.

This all makes it very difficult to commit to another team. And a lot of these events are still going on this summer - certainly all the main jr camps are happening, and there have been California players flying out to attend them. What I've encouraged is for my kids to pick a main sport, and then an individual sport that can be 'fit in' to the gaps.

ohnonotagain

• Mite
  • LR Justice +16/-5
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2020, 11:55:46 AM »
"WHL combine, the USHL combine"

Would HIGHLY recommend the WHL combine.  USHL Combine, not so far.  Save your $.

alfirst

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-39
« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2020, 01:43:25 PM »
WHL looks like happening in Canada only this year - and there are travel restrictions for US  - so not sure this is the year...

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2020, 02:04:21 PM »
WHL looks like happening in Canada only this year - and there are travel restrictions for US  - so not sure this is the year...

Currently Canada requires a 14 day self quarantine, so yeah, doesn't make travel from the US particularly viable right now.

notTHATdad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +46/-17
« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2020, 05:10:55 PM »
"WHL combine, the USHL combine"

Would HIGHLY recommend the WHL combine.  USHL Combine, not so far.  Save your $.

I can only talk for one of my kids experiences at the USHL combine - it was a highlight of the year for him. Extremely good competition.
 On ice combine, off ice combine, both with reports indicating percentiles on each event, 5 games, really good lunch/presentations. Nice touches like professional photos, and nice sweaters/socks.  I think it was less than $500 (plus travel of course). Yeah, it costs, and you have to get invited (even if you register), but if it was a money grab, then they did it badly :-) There were also lots of scouts, including most of the coaches.

If you can't compete though, it would be tough. It is for real though.

Beer Leaguer

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-2
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2020, 07:42:23 AM »
Going back east for prep school to play may not be an option this year. From what I’ve been told the ISL and eight school association have canceled fall sports. 

Handboni

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +9/-15
« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2020, 10:03:32 AM »
So does the CAHA statement on pushing tryouts mean that AAA teams can form prior to the official tryouts for the purpose of going to out of state tournaments?