This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Tryouts are pushed agaoin  (Read 73123 times)

alfirst

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-39
Tryouts are pushed agaoin
« on: July 15, 2020, 02:21:03 PM »
It is pretty quiet here, meanwhile tryouts are postponed again - now till October.
Rinks are open so far - but who knows how ling that lasts.

Would suck big time having no games this year ... 

justanotherhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +59/-56
Re: Tryouts are pushed agaoin
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 03:57:54 PM »
Not exactly a surprise here. Hospitals are maxed out and people still argue over masks and social distancing... Blaming others and ignoring data and facts won't help. This will take a collective effort from EVERYONE. If we want to have a season at all, we better do our part and encourage others to do theirs.

KickSave

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +23/-26
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 04:29:39 PM »
Well said, hockey dad.

JackBender

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-20
    • Tom's Chuckle Barn
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 10:29:30 PM »
From what I've seen, the rinks have been very responsible with all the safety precautions in place.  It's a controlled environment, and they've been good. 

A concern CAHA should really have is kids leaving. We can be flippant, but AAA and AA kids looking to take hockey to the next level (juniors, college, etc.) will leave. Very soon. Most of the rest of the country and Canada have had tryouts or formed teams without tryouts.  No one is going to wait around.

Let's not do a political debate... but the state has lost a minimum of 5 sheets already.  That's a big, big problem.  We should all be concerned... and smart or the sport will be severely stunted in the state for years to come.   
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 11:53:54 PM by JackBender »
I'm your Huckleberry

M@sshole

• Mite
  • LR Justice +4/-2
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 06:59:20 AM »
Agree with Jack.  If Covid exposure is the concern, better to pick your teams now and get going on skills practices with the same 20 kids than having the players bouncing from clinic to clinic all over So Cal and being exposed to 60+ kids each week...

Stick Tap

• Mite
  • LR Justice +29/-26
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 08:12:20 AM »
CAHA has no clue what they are doing. Meanwhile, teams all over the country are formed or will be formed in the next couple of weeks. The constant pushing of tryout dates leaves so many families up in the air. Parents rightfully are starting to think that there won't be a season at all and are looking for options out of the state.

At the AAA level, the 03 and 04 birth year were already decimated from kids leaving. This spring with so much uncertainty the 05s left in droves. Several 06s bounced as well. With this new change in date and no guidance from CAHA on what the season looks like, watch lots more kids across all those birth years find a better option very soon. Why wouldn't they?

CAHA needs to state very clearly what their plan is so parents can decide what's best for their kid in the fall.

When can practices begin?

When will games begin?

Can teams travel out of state this season? If so, when? (Lots of teams have tournaments booked in September and October. Do they have to cancel them?)

Are there certain thresholds that need to be met by the state for any of this to happen, if so, what are they?

Are there any other restrictions they plan on implementing for the upcoming season?

Can LOI's be signed before tryouts to allow teams to plan their seasons?

These are just some of the questions CAHA should have posted with with announcement of pushing tryouts.

JackBender

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-20
    • Tom's Chuckle Barn
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 09:26:19 AM »
Agree with Jack.  If Covid exposure is the concern, better to pick your teams now and get going on skills practices with the same 20 kids than having the players bouncing from clinic to clinic all over So Cal and being exposed to 60+ kids each week...

This is a GREAT point. Want to localize things and "keep kids at home"... then allow teams to roster.  AAA and AA coaches already know the kids and the landscape, any kind of formal tryout is a charade anyway.  Allowing rostering now would be the first step in stabilizing the situation.
I'm your Huckleberry

Landshark

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +77/-47
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2020, 01:31:58 PM »
We are looking at flushing the season and just finding a good school system in a safe area to get the kids learning again. Hockey is important to us, but I'm actually more worried that my youngest will have another semester of school that doesn't really measure up to standard.

alfirst

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-39
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 01:37:06 PM »
"Hospitals are maxed out" - is it the fact? Have not heard or read anything like that in OC.
One party is saying school should reopen as kids are not subject to it (at least not to extent to worry) and masks are still an open debate;
the other party is saying masks and closed schools.
And it's an election year. Would make a bet that covid reaction and debate would be WAY different if it was you 'normal" year.

Anyway - tryouts might be "pre-decided" in certain or majority of the cases - but this year picture is blurry - as some AA coaches changed clubs, some high ranked kids [size=78%]are changing clubs, and some teams (AA) are almost looking to start form ground 0. [/size]
So - yes - limiting traveling around would be great and settling on "what is this season" would be even greater - but I guess CAHA/SCAHA have no idea what tomorrow brings and what data to believe - and the governor does belong to the party that favors "hush-hush" (no politics - just stating the facts).

Whatever they decide - they will be criticized. Have a season - will be parents who in "hospitals are full" mode; not have a season - will be parents who will say "they are killing hockey in CA"
Sure they are in a spot where you can't please everyone. And I do not know whether it's 50/50 split or what between the opinions.     

I would settle on a some kind of a season - and those who are still in fear might just elect not to play (this is simple) and those who are willing to play - will play.
And do all the possible measures, of course, - dressing not in locker room, masks for parents (just in case), limited travel etc.etc.
But I am not in CAHA...     

Deuce

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +6/-4
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2020, 01:47:11 PM »
Saw this on twitter the other day, worth a read...

THREAD
I need to rethink things.

People have been shaming me & others for months now for speaking up against the #COVID19 shutdowns.
Hospitals! Hospitals are overwhelmed!
They may be right. I have to share some quotes about our hospitals.
Read to the end please

These are actual quotes from pieces I've just read. I don't know why I've been ignoring this. Let me say that I'm serious about my respect for frontline workers. I'm confident THEY are NOT the ones calling for us to lose our jobs so they can do theirs. Politicians did that.

"Tallia says his hospital is 'managing, but just barely,' at keeping up with the increased number of sick patients in the last three weeks. The hospital’s urgent-care centers have also been inundated, and its outpatient clinics have no appointments available.”

"Dr. Bernard Camins, associate professor of infectious diseases at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, says that UAB Hospital cancelled elective surgeries scheduled for Thursday and Friday of last week to make more beds available"

“We had to treat patients in places where we normally wouldn’t, like in recovery rooms,” says Camins. “The emergency room was very crowded, both with sick patients who needed to be admitted”

"In CA… several hospitals have set up large 'surge tents' outside their emergency departments to accommodate and treat … patients. Even then, the LA Times reported this week, emergency departments had standing-room only, and some patients had to be treated in hallways.”

"In Fenton, Missouri, SSM Health St. Clare Hospital has opened its emergency overflow wing, as well as all outpatient centers and surgical holding centers, to make more beds available to patients who need them. Nurses are being “pulled from all floors to care for them,”

“it’s making their pre-existing conditions worse,” she says. “More and more patients are needing mechanical ventilation due to respiratory failure”

“From Laguna Beach to Long Beach, emergency rooms were struggling to cope with the overwhelming cases… and had gone into 'diversion mode,' during which ambulances are sent to other hospitals.”

“Hospitals across the state are sending away ambulances, flying in nurses from out of state and not letting children visit their loved ones for fear they’ll spread… Others are canceling surgeries and erecting tents in their parking lots to triage the hordes of… patients.”

“There’s a little bit of a feeling of being in the trenches. We’re really battling these infections to try to get them under control,” McKinnell said. “We’re still not sure if this is going to continue…”

"At Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas, waiting rooms turned into exam areas as a medical tent was built in order to deal with the surge of patients. A Houston doctor said local hospital beds were at capacity”

“Dr. Anthony Marinelli says they've seen a major spike in… cases. It's so overwhelmed the community hospital that they've gone on bypass at times -- that means they tell ambulances to bypass this ER and find another.”

“Dr. Atallah, the chief of emergency medicine at Grady, says the hospital called on a mobile emergency department based nearly 250 miles away to help tackle the increasing patient demand. "At 500-plus patients a day you physically just need the space to put a patient in.”

Our workers are incredible and I know they've been trained to deal with this.  But maybe the lockdown folks are correct. Maybe we opened up too quickly. Maybe we should stay in shutdown mode.

I mean nothing like this has ever happened to our hospitals before?!

Except these are all quotes from the 2018 flu season which may have killed as many as 100K Americans. Healthcare workers are amazing. I know they can do their jobs without the rest of us having to forfeit our lives.

End the lockdowns.
Get the kids back to school.
We got this.

JackBender

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-20
    • Tom's Chuckle Barn
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2020, 02:40:34 PM »
Let's not get lost in the weeds, folks... this thread is about tryouts being pushed... not hospitals, schools, or elections. 

Let's focus on how to get hockey going, in a smart way, so that more rinks aren't lost and kids don't continue to leave the state in droves. Skates have been going on for weeks, if not months. Coaches know the kids, and if they don't, they can talk to the clubs or other parents. It's not that big of a market. Coaches can have a few more skates and then fill their rosters with electronic LOIs.  That would move things forward. 

If people are scared... they don't have to play. That's their decision and totally understandable.   
I'm your Huckleberry

2 Cups in LA

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +8/-31
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2020, 02:57:10 PM »
Bender well said...  Direct & to the point!

Knuckle Puck

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +56/-11
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2020, 03:11:57 PM »
go where? michigan and mass rinks are closed, and while chicago rinks are open, they dont know if there is going to be a season. many ne preps have the advantage of their own rinks, but its late to get your kid a spot. canada is the place to go if you're canadian or married to one, and yes, i've heard of several socal kids heading there for the school year.

there isn't going to be a season in cali as long as the pandemic continues to rage. so wash your hands, stay away from groups as much as possible and stop bitching about wearing a damn mask.

justanotherhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +59/-56
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2020, 04:38:23 PM »
"Hospitals are maxed out" - is it the fact? Have not heard or read anything like that in OC. - Come to my ER, pick a day, any day and I'll show you 'maxed out' and you can judge for yourself how true that is.

One party is saying school should reopen as kids are not subject to it (at least not to extent to worry) and masks are still an open debate; - If schools are to be re-opened, masks have to be worn and social distancing of some form must be in place, if not, you can expect schools to be closed, again.

And it's an election year. Would make a bet that covid reaction and debate would be WAY different if it was you 'normal" year. - The ENTIRE GLOBE is adopting these safety measures and I highly doubt anyone outside the US give a crap about our election and the president. Covid doesn't care about politics.

So - yes - limiting traveling around would be great and settling on "what is this season" would be even greater - but I guess CAHA/SCAHA have no idea what tomorrow brings and what data to believe - and the governor does belong to the party that favors "hush-hush" (no politics - just stating the facts).- Yes I would also like to see limited travel or to places reachable by car.

Whatever they decide - they will be criticized.  - This.   

I would settle on a some kind of a season - and those who are still in fear might just elect not to play (this is simple) and those who are willing to play - will play. And do all the possible measures, of course, - dressing not in locker room, masks for parents (just in case), limited travel etc.etc. - Well said.

JackBender

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-20
    • Tom's Chuckle Barn
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2020, 04:56:39 PM »
go where? michigan and mass rinks are closed, and while chicago rinks are open, they dont know if there is going to be a season. many ne preps have the advantage of their own rinks, but its late to get your kid a spot. canada is the place to go if you're canadian or married to one, and yes, i've heard of several socal kids heading there for the school year.

there isn't going to be a season in cali as long as the pandemic continues to rage. so wash your hands, stay away from groups as much as possible and stop bitching about wearing a damn mask.

Of the 50 states and Canada... you named two state where you think they're closed. So, to answer your question, people will go to Canada or the 48 other states. However, of the two remaining states, the rinks are open in the same capacity as the SoCal rinks. And in Mass, most prep schools own their own rinks, which make them private.

The point is let's not be alarmists and act irrational with blanket statements conflating several things at once. AAA/AA are in a different situation than A and below. These kids and families have ambition and goals and they aren't going to just wait around. The adults can make smart decisions for themselves. Put restrictions in place. Everyone act responsibly. And let's carry on.

There are clinics right now with an on-ice max of around 24 or more. Teams are no more than 20 (mostly less).  So merely by forming teams the ice rinks would be safer, no? 
I'm your Huckleberry