This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Tryouts are pushed agaoin  (Read 76977 times)

HockeyGuy-99

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +22/-8
Re: Tryouts are pushed agaoin
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2020, 09:39:45 AM »
Out of curiosity, why would anyone sign with a team on Friday?  Pressure? Maybe the idea your kid won't make it if you don't sign that day? Are too many kids skating at different rinks right now and certain clubs want all the money in house so they came up with this?  Or is it fear from CAHA that too many people have been talking about making independent teams?  I'm curious to the last minute change on this.   

I don't think we can be naive enough to say that everyone wants to protect the players and families by keeping them under one roof and with the same groups.  That I can't buy for a second, otherwise all age groups and levels would be doing the same. 

notTHATdad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +46/-17
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2020, 01:07:59 PM »

Some thoughts...

- Forces a kid to pick a team to practice with. Stops team-shopping. Provides stability.
- Allows teams to have 'kids camps' with a set attendee list maybe?
- Allows AAA teams that are planning Tier 1 Elite participation to form rosters (T1EHL tournaments start October)

There is no money function here because according to the rules you CANNOT charge until after tryouts occur.

Strawman

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-47
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2020, 03:08:33 PM »

Some thoughts...

- Forces a kid to pick a team to practice with. Stops team-shopping. Provides stability.
- Allows AAA teams that are planning Tier 1 Elite participation to form rosters (T1EHL tournaments start October)

There is no money function here because according to the rules you CANNOT charge until after tryouts occur.

Ironic that CAHA would be encouraging AAA kids to travel out of state to play while apparently curtailing in-state travel for games.  Rising to dizzying heights of illogic.

ohnonotagain

• Mite
  • LR Justice +16/-5
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2020, 03:53:56 PM »

Ironic that CAHA would be encouraging AAA kids to travel out of state to play while apparently curtailing in-state travel for games.  Rising to dizzying heights of illogic.

Really interested to see how this truly plays out.  Forget USA Hockey, right now many (most?) states have a 14-day quarantine period for travelers from certain states, which includes people returning to their home state.  Given CA's recent spike, travel to many other states isn't a pragmatic option for hockey.  Not to mention many states still have restrictions on size of gatherings.  And who knows what the future holds given the political will to destabilize the US economy.

https://www.kayak.com/travel-restrictions/united-states

alfirst

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-39
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2020, 04:23:58 PM »
2 cups in LA,

I would agree if scientists and doctors were on the same page - but seems like their opinions are also set and determined based on what side politically they take.

At least it is not that simple to see clear through all the noise.
And again, Europe is open and moving forward...

And line on " if scared sit tight " might be old - but still true.
Isn't it the land of the free?

KickSave

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +23/-26
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2020, 05:02:48 PM »
Oh yay the “freedom” excuse. My bingo card for the day is now full.

alfirst

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-39
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2020, 07:16:57 PM »
Never thought of freedom as an excuse - but go figure...

If some are free to flood the  streets in protests I think
I am free to play hockey.

I guess, thank you CAHA for at least some move forward...

notTHATdad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +46/-17
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2020, 07:50:04 PM »

Some thoughts...

That's an odd way of looking at it. CAHA has no impact on T1EHL. All they can do is control what they control, and react to state conditions. The fact that some teams happen to play in another national league that plays out of state is not their problem, is it?

I get that they might be conservative, but I don't see how they are 'encouraging' kids to travel out of state.

Landshark

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +77/-47
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2020, 08:32:24 PM »
You're missing glib condescension - oh wait no. You've got plenty of that.

Strawman

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-47
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2020, 09:57:00 PM »

Some thoughts...

That's an odd way of looking at it. CAHA has no impact on T1EHL. All they can do is control what they control, and react to state conditions. The fact that some teams happen to play in another national league that plays out of state is not their problem, is it?

I get that they might be conservative, but I don't see how they are 'encouraging' kids to travel out of state.

I think I figured it out: AAA players must be less susceptible to infection than AA and A players.  Science strikes again!

2 Cups in LA

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +8/-31
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2020, 08:36:13 AM »
Most of these comments are too political and support the POS in the White House.  Get back to the reality what’s more important than hockey is everyone health and not spreading COVID to people that have weak immune systems.

fistocuffs

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +40/-61
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2020, 10:20:36 AM »
I agree.  Being a leader is all about setting examples and protecting the week.  almost 4M cases in the us, about 143k deaths.  or about 3.5% mort.  Since very few kids are dying from this, and very few 20 something's, that means a 5%+ for us older people take the hit to counter the almost 0% mort for the youngsters.  As I have said all along, you have to look beyond yourselves - kids will be fine, thats not the concern.  Its the people that unknowingly carry to virus  for about 7-10 days before anyone knows they have COVID - kids show few symptoms - taking temps misses the mark by about 7 days.   
For something as simple as shutting down for 60 days, you would think we would have this virus cornered after 100+ days like the EU and Asia.   One would think..  and one would think that something as simple as wearing a mask in public is really not much of a burden to bear for people here in the US - given how effective it is in stopping the spread - as all other developed nations mandated.  Here we are sitting 100+ days into this.. while other nations are doing laps around us and getting back to normal lives, while we fret about our day, figuring out ways to "beat the system".   These days, there seems to be no greater cause than that of "cause of self", and "number of followers", and "why can't I".    As Jurassic park states (a paraphrase) - the best movie ever -

People in the US are so preoccupied with [/size]whether[/color][/size] or not [/color][/size]they[/color][/size] could do something, [/color][/size]they[/color][/size] never [/color][/size]stop to think if they actually should... [/color]

alfirst

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-39
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2020, 10:31:10 AM »
It's not about support one or the other - and your comment is political too, by the way. I do not want to divide though...

But let's get back to hockey situation - if they shut down everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, leaving only true essentials  - for whatever period needed (and I'll leave "simple matter" of who's paying for that as it's for another forum) - then we can all concentrate on family, health etc.

But as shut down works very sporadically  - and hockey is being played across the US - one might feel on the wrong side of competition. On top of that - rinks have been open for a while (some earlier than others) and I have never heard of anything "virus-wise" since then related to youth hockey. We have been skating since May and same kids are coming to practices. It is not like people fall dead or sick left and right. And most rinks do a great job (wearing a mask dressing up to skates seems overboard but whatever) -  following county guidance to mitigate potential risks.
So personally (and of course I might me wrong - but so far it works) - I do not feel too much risk in youth hockey.
Not more than me having to go to the office once in a while (closed environment) or to some stores.

Again, I also totally understand people who do not want to do youth sports now while I am with those who with some precautions want to continue playing - and, yes, including games.
We did not feel comfortable (and did not feel necessary) to go to the tournament as it included flying - would hate to sit in a mask on a plane for several hours - but play locally has been working
for us so far.

Could we all agree on both positions?   
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 10:34:22 AM by alfirst »

fistocuffs

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +40/-61
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2020, 10:57:20 AM »
I see a few sides.  If you talk to most families, they are doing everything they can and are following all the things to keep safety in the front.  When groups are small and its the exception rather the norm, it feels manageable and maybe it is - given its time-boxed and senses are heightened.     

My concern is the random nature when you turn the faucet on for all.  The unpredictability of people is what undermines it for everyone.   

I know that if nobody goes to a rink, plays a game, etc.. there is a ZERO chance of spread
I feel that if a few groups willing to take the risk, and represents the exception of the base, they will manage it for a period of time.  There is a minimized chance. (But maybe a false sense of security forms - like when you finally think you have figured out your golf swing.)

I feel that if everyone is now in the mix - even with rules in place - and during COVID's unchecked spread, there is a good to fair chance it will spread (this is my concern case), it only takes a few groups and a couple lapses to undo do everything.

Because of this, i like and know the ZERO chance outcome.

2 Cups in LA

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +8/-31
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2020, 11:16:49 AM »
Well said Fisticuffs!!!