This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Tryouts are pushed agaoin  (Read 73340 times)

notTHATdad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +46/-17
Re: Tryouts are pushed agaoin
« Reply #195 on: September 15, 2020, 10:52:57 AM »
Sure.

If 1 in 16 cars (i.e. the number of teams at a tournament) that you drove by had the potential to cause your car to burst into flames.

This is an area where the leagues should be 'stepping up' and creating some standard prevention criteria for admission into tournaments.

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #196 on: September 16, 2020, 11:41:45 AM »
didn't jd and jk midgets just return from omaha where they played the dallas jr stars?

At this point, in Midget AAA, from 50-60% of all the teams have already played as many as 10 games.  That includes the Dallas Stars Elite, who played both the JK's and JD's, and are from the Dallas area.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 11:43:49 AM by lcadad »

HockeyGuy-99

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +22/-8
« Reply #197 on: September 16, 2020, 01:09:47 PM »
Sure.

If 1 in 16 cars (i.e. the number of teams at a tournament) that you drove by had the potential to cause your car to burst into flames.

This is an area where the leagues should be 'stepping up' and creating some standard prevention criteria for admission into tournaments.

I'd actually call it about 240 cars(15 players per team) with about a 99.8% chance or better if your one of those drivers you'll make it home. 

Any mention as to how many sleeping pills he took?  1, 2, 6, or 10? 

As for the AAA players that recently played and are coming back home, if you're that concerned take another 7 months off cause those boy will all be bouncing around to you local facilities getting their ice time in. 

Strawman

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-47
« Reply #198 on: September 16, 2020, 11:03:24 PM »
Sure.

I'd actually call it about 240 cars(15 players per team) with about a 99.8% chance or better if your one of those drivers you'll make it home. 

Any mention as to how many sleeping pills he took?  1, 2, 6, or 10? 

As for the AAA players that recently played and are coming back home, if you're that concerned take another 7 months off cause those boy will all be bouncing around to you local facilities getting their ice time in.

Actually about 100% if you're talking about the kids.  More people under 20 years of age have died from seasonal flu than Covid since March (i.e., during flu "off-season").  Since ice hockey is played mainly during the height of "flu season," it sounds like the whole hockey experiment in California was just a big mistake.  It's never too late to make Solitaire our state sport.  Checkers is probably too much of a contact sport for us.

fistocuffs

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +40/-61
« Reply #199 on: September 17, 2020, 08:26:45 AM »
I know, it should not matter about indirect exposure.   That wedding in New England - 175 people ended up with it, i think 6 died. Some some of the dead did not even go to the wedding, they were simply hangin doing their thing.  Eh, but as long as you are not impacted directly, its ok - well its not ok. because you are inconvenienced by this world wide "experiment"

Landshark

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +77/-47
« Reply #200 on: September 17, 2020, 09:57:18 AM »
I'd urge that if you cannot connect your point to hockey that you post it elsewhere.  On a wedding planning site perhaps? The world is a dangerous place. Hockey is not a proven a vector for your fears.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 09:59:26 AM by Landshark »

Strawman

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-47
« Reply #201 on: September 17, 2020, 10:25:39 PM »
I know, it should not matter about indirect exposure.   That wedding in New England - 175 people ended up with it, i think 6 died. Some some of the dead did not even go to the wedding, they were simply hangin doing their thing.  Eh, but as long as you are not impacted directly, its ok - well its not ok. because you are inconvenienced by this world wide "experiment"

I agree that sick people shouldn't hang around long-term care homes full of terminally ill elderly people, which is what you're referring to there.  Now, do you have a point related to hockey?

notTHATdad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +46/-17
« Reply #202 on: September 18, 2020, 07:53:25 PM »
To be fair, the topic of this latest discussion was 31 youth hockey players in Texas getting Covid, and a coach dying at death that was at least related to it. I also know kids on two teams at private school that have been quarantined for covid exposure. Not hard to find news of other tournaments beset with it too.

There are safe ways to play and practice. And ways that are not safe. That was the discussion.

Think it's just like the flu? Talk to my dead uncle :-(

Strawman

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-47
« Reply #203 on: September 20, 2020, 02:59:53 PM »
To be fair, the topic of this latest discussion was 31 youth hockey players in Texas getting Covid, and a coach dying at death that was at least related to it. I also know kids on two teams at private school that have been quarantined for covid exposure. Not hard to find news of other tournaments beset with it too.

There are safe ways to play and practice. And ways that are not safe. That was the discussion.

Think it's just like the flu? Talk to my dead uncle :-(

Now do seasonal flu.

There is no "safe" way to play hockey.  You've got the wrong sport. 

But thankfully, driving to the rink is an exponentially greater risk than Covid.

Landshark

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +77/-47
« Reply #204 on: September 21, 2020, 10:35:36 AM »
You don't know how Strawman drives. :)

notTHATdad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +46/-17
« Reply #205 on: September 21, 2020, 12:24:53 PM »
It's ok, man.

They've cancelled the Quebec peewee tournament. But clearly Strawman knows better than all the people (doctors, health department, etc) that they no doubt consulted before cancelling the largest youth tournament in the world. It must be safer than driving.

I stand in awe.

notTHATdad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +46/-17
« Reply #206 on: September 21, 2020, 12:38:20 PM »
BTW, obviously that last post was meant as a joke.

My basic point is that if we could stop talking about sound bite notions (like 'it's just like the flu' or 'it's no worse than driving') and instead focus on:

1. It is a real problem
2. There are ways to make playing safer
3. We need the leagues to help make that happen

We'd have a lot more luck with a season. My original point was that the leagues should be mandating conduct to allow clubs into tournaments. I haven't seen a league (or even USAHockey) take any kind of stand. They are all being chicken, probably out of fear of lawyers. It doesn't have to be that way:

- Come out with some minimum standards around things like (a) what to do if a player is exposed (b) what to do if a player is sick.
- Come out with some minimum standards around how practices should be done (no dressing rooms, parents, etc)
- Make admission to tournaments require adhering to those minimums.

Be very explicit that these are minimums and don't guarantee safety.

Might people cheat? Yeah, it's youth hockey, some clubs will cheat. But at least there would be SOME kind of guardrails their to avoid coming up against teams like that Texas team.

KickSave

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +23/-26
« Reply #207 on: September 21, 2020, 12:54:47 PM »
Thank you

Miss My 48080

• Mite
  • LR Justice +15/-4
« Reply #208 on: September 21, 2020, 02:55:08 PM »
It's ok, man.

They've cancelled the Quebec peewee tournament. But clearly Strawman knows better than all the people (doctors, health department, etc) that they no doubt consulted before cancelling the largest youth tournament in the world. It must be safer than driving.

I stand in awe.

Maybe they figured the US-Canada border closure would keep too many teams out and didn't want a watered-down tournament. Are fans even allowed in the stands in Canadian arenas?

Even if there were no Covid, if I were organizing "The largest youth hockey tournament in the world" with these conditions I would shut it down:
  • No US Teams
  • No ticket revenue
  • No concession revenue
  • No broadcast revenue
  • Potential damage to the "brand" if we don't have the very best teams competing
Of course, I would put out a statement that said something like "For the health and saftey of the children and families involved, we have decided to postpone the tournament and come back next year better than ever! Please stay safe everyone."

It sounds much better than saying, "If we can't get the best teams on the planet, and if we can't make any money off the tournament, we're not going through the trouble."

alfirst

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-39
« Reply #209 on: September 21, 2020, 04:04:12 PM »
NotTHATdad,

Can't agree more with lack of general guidance and leadership in all this. I am talking youth hockey only here...

There are no universal rules across US - hence we have no games and masks on the ice in CA. We see Denver, CO tournament among some others being held no problem

We see scrimmages in AZ with some precaution.

State where you reside started to define not only the political picture (which for the most part does not affect average Joe everyday life) but day-to-day routine including youth sports...

I think clearly kids are less exposed to this virus and have far better chance to live through it - so some simple measures could suffice to allow youth sports to happen.