This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Tryouts are pushed agaoin  (Read 73087 times)

ABCDE

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +25/-8
Re: Tryouts are pushed agaoin
« Reply #210 on: September 21, 2020, 11:29:31 PM »
They have juniors leagues considering cancelling season in Canada.  It's not fear of covid, it's that they won't be able to break even on costs due to the limited admittance.  At 25% attendance, it's difficult to survive as operating at a huge loss.  So I'm going to agree with they figured the US-Canada border closure would keep too many teams out of the Quebec tournament.  They need revenue, ability to get the teams into and out of the country.  They won't have that.  We can have safe hockey, so don't hang the Quebec tournament cancellation as your example of science at work.  Consider economics and, as was brought up, potential damage to the "brand" if we don't have the best teams competing.

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #211 on: September 22, 2020, 06:16:00 AM »
As I stated previously, 60% of all AAA midget teams have already been playing games, and that was a week ago, so the totals are now closer to 70-80%.  That includes several of the CA clubs.  I will say that there is a lot of extremely short sighted and reactionary nonsense that goes along with this.  For example, some shrews who live in an area around the rink called the police to report that people were "tailgating" in the parking lot of a rink in a Maryland suburb.  This was complete horseshit.  Because the rink will not allow any spectators, people are having to suffice with sending a designated video person to stream the game on facebook live, youtube or periscope.  In this case, a group of parents were watching the game on a monitor on the side of an RV. 

So what does the local municipality do?  Tell the rink that parents can no longer even PARK in the parking lot.  So for practice, when dropping off your 7 year old for the u8 ADM, you are supposed to drop em at the door, and then drive a mile away, returning only when your kid's session is over.  Needless to say, parents are livid over this nonsense, and asking where is the common sense and interest in the well being of the kids?  Is hockey now "child care?"  Meanwhile rinks that have the capacity to seat hundreds of spectators could very safely open to 25% of capacity, and still accommodate the parents who want to watch, while allowing for adequate social distancing.    There are rinks in other states doing exactly that with no issues. 

As for the Texas story, there are a lot of things left out of that story.  Clearly the death of a young healthy coach is scary, but also a statistical anomaly, complicated by the taking of the sleeping pills.  They have ruled his death accidental, caused by the sleeping pills having slowed his heart, and that issue complicated by Covid, which according to his family, they were not sure he actually had.  Is there a lesson to be had?  Don't take sleeping pills when you are very sick, whether that be the flu or any other sort of respiratory disease.  I will go one more step and say that sleeping pills are in general really bad for you, and don't really even allow for restful sleep, because they suppress REM sleep. Yet I digress....

What we also don't know is whether or not the kids on the team in question, were going to the same school, as Texas schools reopened with In person instruction around the same time.  For all we know, this was caught at school, not unlike the way kids routinely get the flu.   I don't want to go out on a limb here, but with all the thousands of skates that have occurred for youth hockey players and figure skaters, and even beer league players, all we have is a handful of reported cases.  How many hockey sessions are required before it's clear that your chances of getting Covid playing youth hockey aren't very high?

Where is the follow up on the Texas team?  If all those kids were sick, how many of them now are fully recovered?  How many passed it on to other members of their family?  Is there a quarantine going on, and if so how many days into the quarantine are they?  That would be actual reporting, but we probably won't get that information, because it isn't inflammatory enough.  Only the story of the Typhoid Mary team, and how Covid killed their young 29 year old coach remains.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 06:20:23 AM by lcadad »

Maverick

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +27/-11
« Reply #212 on: September 22, 2020, 08:54:11 AM »
As I stated previously, 60% of all AAA midget teams have already been playing games, and that was a week ago, so the totals are now closer to 70-80%.  That includes several of the CA clubs.  I will say that there is a lot of extremely short sighted and reactionary nonsense that goes along with this.  For example, some shrews who live in an area around the rink called the police to report that people were "tailgating" in the parking lot of a rink in a Maryland suburb.  This was complete horseshit.  Because the rink will not allow any spectators, people are having to suffice with sending a designated video person to stream the game on facebook live, youtube or periscope.  In this case, a group of parents were watching the game on a monitor on the side of an RV. 

So what does the local municipality do?  Tell the rink that parents can no longer even PARK in the parking lot.  So for practice, when dropping off your 7 year old for the u8 ADM, you are supposed to drop em at the door, and then drive a mile away, returning only when your kid's session is over.  Needless to say, parents are livid over this nonsense, and asking where is the common sense and interest in the well being of the kids?  Is hockey now "child care?"  Meanwhile rinks that have the capacity to seat hundreds of spectators could very safely open to 25% of capacity, and still accommodate the parents who want to watch, while allowing for adequate social distancing.    There are rinks in other states doing exactly that with no issues. 

As for the Texas story, there are a lot of things left out of that story.  Clearly the death of a young healthy coach is scary, but also a statistical anomaly, complicated by the taking of the sleeping pills.  They have ruled his death accidental, caused by the sleeping pills having slowed his heart, and that issue complicated by Covid, which according to his family, they were not sure he actually had.  Is there a lesson to be had?  Don't take sleeping pills when you are very sick, whether that be the flu or any other sort of respiratory disease.  I will go one more step and say that sleeping pills are in general really bad for you, and don't really even allow for restful sleep, because they suppress REM sleep. Yet I digress....

What we also don't know is whether or not the kids on the team in question, were going to the same school, as Texas schools reopened with In person instruction around the same time.  For all we know, this was caught at school, not unlike the way kids routinely get the flu.   I don't want to go out on a limb here, but with all the thousands of skates that have occurred for youth hockey players and figure skaters, and even beer league players, all we have is a handful of reported cases.  How many hockey sessions are required before it's clear that your chances of getting Covid playing youth hockey aren't very high?

Where is the follow up on the Texas team?  If all those kids were sick, how many of them now are fully recovered?  How many passed it on to other members of their family?  Is there a quarantine going on, and if so how many days into the quarantine are they?  That would be actual reporting, but we probably won't get that information, because it isn't inflammatory enough.  Only the story of the Typhoid Mary team, and how Covid killed their young 29 year old coach remains.

Stick Tap for this post....

« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 08:55:38 AM by Maverick »

OneandDone

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +91/-39
« Reply #213 on: September 22, 2020, 09:50:29 AM »
They have juniors leagues considering cancelling season in Canada.  It's not fear of covid, it's that they won't be able to break even on costs due to the limited admittance.  At 25% attendance, it's difficult to survive as operating at a huge loss.  So I'm going to agree with they figured the US-Canada border closure would keep too many teams out of the Quebec tournament.  They need revenue, ability to get the teams into and out of the country.  They won't have that.  We can have safe hockey, so don't hang the Quebec tournament cancellation as your example of science at work.  Consider economics and, as was brought up, potential damage to the "brand" if we don't have the best teams competing.

Don’t forget Liability and the risks to the tournament organizers and their insurance carriers.  Regardless of signed waivers etc., there is always the potential for lawsuits - legitimate or not.  This IMO is the main reason SCAHA/CAHA won’t do a thing until it is allowed at the State level.  Breaking that State mandate opens you up to all kinds of Liability issues.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 09:51:05 AM by OneandDone »

KickSave

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +23/-26
« Reply #214 on: September 22, 2020, 02:02:30 PM »
I think the parking lot banning had something to do with contact tracing, although that may have been in a different state... where a hockey program had an outbreak traced to congregating parents.

Agreed about the Dallas kids and school. It makes things a lot more complicated.

How hard is it to, as a parent, wear a mask and keep some distance if it means the kids can play? Kids - can you travel to tournaments and maybe not all hang out in the same room to stare at your phones if it may mean your state won’t shut things down? At least try?

What it all boils down to is some people don’t take the virus seriously. It’s not about disagreeing about what is dangerous and what isn’t, it’s about whether the virus is a worry at all. If someone thinks it’s all overblown, then there’s little hope for discussing the other stuff.

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #215 on: September 22, 2020, 03:45:05 PM »
I think the parking lot banning had something to do with contact tracing, although that may have been in a different state... where a hockey program had an outbreak traced to congregating parents.

If that happened somewhere it wasn't in Maryland.  Here's a link to the petition if anyone is curious: https://www.change.org/p/let-hockey-parents-in-and-park?recruiter=1049336773

KickSave

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +23/-26
« Reply #216 on: September 22, 2020, 04:19:16 PM »
It was Michigan.

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
« Reply #217 on: September 24, 2020, 09:45:47 AM »
After coming back from a AAA weekend I can tell you that CA kids are at a huge disadvantage because they are not able to scrimmage or play games of any kind in the state. The other states are not that way and non of the teams we faced looked as if it was their first game of the year.

I am so sick of this...

JackBender

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-20
    • Tom's Chuckle Barn
« Reply #218 on: September 24, 2020, 11:06:12 AM »
On the bright side... by 2035 we'll all have electric cars.  8)
I'm your Huckleberry

justanotherhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +59/-56
« Reply #219 on: September 24, 2020, 11:48:59 AM »
The other states are not that way and non of the teams we faced looked as if it was their first game of the year.

Then how do you explain the CA teams that actually won their out-of-state tournaments? I know a few AAA and AA teams that competed just fine, with a few going to finals and a few winning it all.

alfirst

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-39
« Reply #220 on: September 24, 2020, 11:53:59 AM »

Yep, my son has not played competitive game since play downs in late February. That's about to change in upcoming weeks finally....
 When a lot of CA kids went to some tournaments or scrimmages, not mentioning other state kids who never stopped playing (or only for a short break).

They got competitive advantage just by residing in some other state - this part has self-directed irony in it (for those who jump with "beer league" comments and those who just seeing this will do "face washes" haha)   

Everyone has his own path. We are trying not to lose ours...

alfirst

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-39
« Reply #221 on: September 24, 2020, 11:57:30 AM »

Then how do you explain the CA teams that actually won their out-of-state tournaments? I know a few AAA and AA teams that competed just fine, with a few going to finals and a few winning it all.

I guess some specifics are needed here - did they face competition they normally do?  As as bad as it is CA is not the only state shutting down your sports.
 Then I know that ID AA team that badly wanted to be AAA team this year is being handed their ass to them  - and they did 3 tourney already at the least.

justanotherhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +59/-56
« Reply #222 on: September 24, 2020, 12:05:13 PM »
I guess some specifics are needed here - did they face competition they normally do?  As as bad as it is CA is not the only state shutting down your sports.

Well if you go out of state, obviously you won't face competition you're familiar with. Oh, wait...

Some teams belong in their registered division and some don't. It has always been that way. And like you said, CA is not the only state with restrictions applied to youth hockey, so losing your tourney and blaming it on Covid seems like a cop out to me.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 01:57:25 PM by justanotherhockeydad »

Bear71

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +34/-9
« Reply #223 on: September 24, 2020, 12:21:41 PM »
On the bright side... by 2035 we'll all have electric cars.  8)

Visit my soon to be opened car dealerships in beautiful Primm, NV and Quartzsite, AZ.

alfirst

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-39
« Reply #224 on: September 24, 2020, 02:09:01 PM »

Well if you go out of state, obviously you won't face competition you're familiar with. Oh, wait...

Some teams belong in their registered division and some don't. It has always been that way. And like you said, CA is not the only state with restrictions applied to youth hockey, so losing your tourney and blaming it on Covid seems like a cop out to me.

By "normally" I actually meant  - do those winning AAA teams are facing teams they usually face during their out-of-state travel - and not some scrub scrimmage/travel teams. If they are winning vs teams there were playing against last year  - then, I guess, shut down worked fine for them (or they did find a way to
prepare themselves game wise)