This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Tryouts are pushed agaoin  (Read 73130 times)

Knuckle Puck

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +56/-11
Re: Tryouts are pushed agaoin
« Reply #225 on: September 24, 2020, 02:54:36 PM »
what is hurting the competitiveness of socal teams more than anything is that dozens of top players have left the state for good (2006s and older). this is now year six of that trend.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 02:57:32 PM by Knuckle Puck »

CAHockeyParent

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-4
« Reply #226 on: September 24, 2020, 09:30:05 PM »
The Denver CCM 14U AA had 3 California teams:

Angry Eskimos (Wave)
Home School Hockey (GSE N/S?)
Rapid Athlete Development (Kings)

The remaining spots were filled with teams from Nevada (Jr Knights), Utah (Eagles), and Colorado (Highland Hills, Arvada Gold/Black, Krivo, Monument Hockey (?))

Wave went 2-2 and missed the Semis
Home School went 6-0 beating RAD 3-2 in Round Robin, the Jr. Knights in the Semis and Arvada Gold in the Finals
RAD went 3-2 losing to Home School 2-3 and Arvada Gold in the Semis

The California teams at the AA level faired well against the top CO and Utah teams. So far that's the only gauge that I'm aware of at the AA level.

Obviously the 06 AAA Kings are playing and have been doing well (based on their MHR record and scores). Unsure if any of the 07AAAs are playing.

In CO there were a few of the younger AAA teams (08, 10 at least).

Edit: it also appears that the 07 AAA Ducks and Kings have played. The Kinga did well in Minneapolis against, what should be, fairly formidable teams.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 11:01:23 PM by CAHockeyParent »

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
« Reply #227 on: September 25, 2020, 08:57:00 AM »
The teams that had been together for many years showed. I know that many of the CA teams mentioned above have been together since at least PW maybe longer.  A newly formed team is at a greater disadvantage because they can not play and determine who fits where, this has to be done on the fly. Think SCAHA/CAHA selects or any scouting combine.

BTW, nice of some of you to read this as an excuse for losing a tournament. I could care less about losing or winning tournaments (Junior scouts do not care). At the older higher levels it is about individual scouting and wins and losses do not matter. I understand many of you believe you must win at all cost.

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #228 on: September 25, 2020, 10:01:48 AM »
The teams that had been together for many years showed. I know that many of the CA teams mentioned above have been together since at least PW maybe longer.  A newly formed team is at a greater disadvantage because they can not play and determine who fits where, this has to be done on the fly. Think SCAHA/CAHA selects or any scouting combine.

BTW, nice of some of you to read this as an
 excuse for losing a tournament. I could care less about losing or winning tournaments (Junior scouts do not care). At the older higher levels it is about individual scouting and wins and losses do not matter. I understand many of you believe you must win at all cost.
Maybe the "newly formed" team just sucks  :'(

Its good to be back !

alfirst

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-39
« Reply #229 on: September 25, 2020, 10:08:21 AM »
At Denver there was ID 07 team at AAA level playing under Tever Bulls name. They lost 3 games (2 of them by a big margin) and tied one. In Wisconsin about a month earlier they had similar record - with some blow out losses.   

justanotherhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +59/-56
« Reply #230 on: September 25, 2020, 11:02:16 AM »
The teams that had been together for many years showed. I know that many of the CA teams mentioned above have been together since at least PW maybe longer.  A newly formed team is at a greater disadvantage because they can not play and determine who fits where, this has to be done on the fly.
Yes it does matter that a newly formed team may lack chemistry and familiarity with each other. But like I said, some teams belong and some teams don't, no matter how long they've been together. Our team lost 1/3 of kids from last yr and went to 2 tournaments with 5-6 new kids.

At our first tournament of the year, we went 0-5. At the second tournament, we went 5-0. Granted some of the kids at the 2nd tournament were not at the 1st and vice versa, our kids are acclimating to a new team/coach/environment/covid etc, just like your team. BTW, at our latest tourney, three of our kids have been together since PW and of those three, two of them are goalies and the rest have been together maybe 2-3 seasons.

BTW, nice of some of you to read this as an excuse for losing a tournament. I could care less about losing or winning tournaments (Junior scouts do not care). At the older higher levels it is about individual scouting and wins and losses do not matter. I understand many of you believe you must win at all cost.
I don't believe in winning at all cost, but at the same time, you won't hear me cry about what a disadvantage CA kids have if we lose a tournament. Covid restrictions have been affecting all youth hockey teams one way or another... It is what it is.

Like you said, at this level, it's about individual scouting, right? So don't worry about your team and how they perform, just worry about your kid, otherwise it may be a long season judging by your club's past history...

notTHATdad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +46/-17
« Reply #231 on: September 27, 2020, 01:13:02 PM »

At this point in a normal year (end of September) most AAA teams have played one tournament. Maybe two. T1EHL never starts before October, so it depends on how many 'warmup' things they do.

Instead hopefully they have been practicing. Seems a bit over dramatic.

Maybe the team is just bad.

Seems over dramatic.

Maybe the team just sucks

After coming back from a AAA weekend I can tell you that CA kids are at a huge disadvantage because they are not able to scrimmage or play games of any kind in the state. The other states are not that way and non of the teams we faced looked as if it was their first game of the year.

I am so sick of this...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 01:13:54 PM by notTHATdad »

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
« Reply #232 on: September 30, 2020, 09:29:59 AM »

BTW, nice of some of you to read this as an
 excuse for losing a tournament. I could care less about losing or winning tournaments (Junior scouts do not care). At the older higher levels it is about individual scouting and wins and losses do not matter. I understand many of you believe you must win at all cost.
Maybe the "newly formed" team just sucks  :'(

Its good to be back !

Could be....  Does not matter as long as they are competitive with no big blowouts as individual scouting is all that maters at the older upper levels.

805hockey

• Mite
  • LR Justice +4/-1
« Reply #233 on: October 07, 2020, 02:32:04 PM »
Kinda quiet......anybody planning on going to AZ Thanksgiving Tournament in their respective divisions?

AllEyesOnYou

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-3
« Reply #234 on: October 07, 2020, 08:56:12 PM »

Then how do you explain the CA teams that actually won their out-of-state tournaments? I know a few AAA and AA teams that competed just fine, with a few going to finals and a few winning it all.   

Which few AAA and AA teams went to the finals and which few won from CA? 

I guess some specifics are needed here - did they face competition they normally do?  As as bad as it is CA is not the only state shutting down your sports.
 Then I know that ID AA team that badly wanted to be AAA team this year is being handed their ass to them  - and they did 3 tourney already at the least.

Strawman

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-47
« Reply #235 on: October 08, 2020, 05:11:34 PM »
A tragic story. Turns out the coach took sleeping pills (I guess to go to sleep while feeling like crap) while he had Covid. A terrible idea from a respiratory point of view. But he was pretty clearly in bad shape. Really sad.

But before we all take this an an indication that there is no way to do anything safely...

He coached for the Texas Warriors. Here are their Covid rules:

https://www.texaswarriors.org/news_article/show/1122406

They read like an organization just trying to skirt the public health office and keep quiet. Note the part about if you post to facebook about a player or coach having Covid you will be suspended for a year. Also that if 3 kids are caught without masks they will be suspended for a game on successive games (because I guess it's more important to play than enforce).

But here is the kicker....

“20% rule is still in place – If 20% of a team is infected at the same time there will be a 14 day shutdown of the team. We understand that the health department is saying that even one positive result should result in the shut down of a team but we will be adhering to the league rule.”

That's a league rule. You could have 3 or 4 kids with Covid who had been practicing and playing with your team, and they would be FINE with you keeping playing, and potentially using asymptomatic carriers in a competitive game against other teams. Just make sure those 3 or 4 that are showing symptoms stay at home.

That's nuts. No wonder their league has had 31 cases.

Oh my, this didn't age well, like so many horror stories in 2020.

https://twitter.com/AlexBerenson/status/1314345211896778753?s=20

Ice-o-Matic

• Mite
  • LR Justice +7/-2
« Reply #236 on: October 09, 2020, 03:42:10 PM »
By the way the death of the 29-year-old Texas hockey coach was ruled by the medical examiner an accidental death due to oxycodone and alprazolam toxicity with Covid complications contributing...

Ice-o-Matic

• Mite
  • LR Justice +7/-2
« Reply #237 on: October 09, 2020, 03:44:07 PM »
Oh sorry, someone just posted that!!!

CAHockeyParent

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-4
« Reply #238 on: October 12, 2020, 09:43:33 AM »
Looks like Dallas is in full swing.

Looks like
Kings 06 AAA are going in strong  Should be a good battle with DSE.
Ice Dogs 06 AAA had good weekend making it to the Semis.

Both the 07 Ice Dogs (AA #2?) and 07 Kings AA (playing in AAA) made a strong push but failed to make it out of the Semis. Omaha and DSE with the eliminations.

The 06 AA Kings appear to have split and lost the play-in game.

07 AA Ducks (#2?)  are going to the Ship?
07 AA Reign look to have had a rough draw. Going 1-3. Beating the team the Ducks are playing in the ship.

Any other tournaments?

« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 07:14:55 AM by CAHockeyParent »

5lap5hot

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-7
« Reply #239 on: October 12, 2020, 12:15:41 PM »
That was the Kings 07 AA not triple