Author Topic: Tryouts are pushed agaoin  (Read 27598 times)

UhhhhDuhhhh

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +72/-29
Re: Tryouts are pushed agaoin
« Reply #285 on: November 20, 2020, 11:27:17 AM »

Nice idea... but who takes care of the invalid?

My Uncle is dead. In a home. During lockdown.

My parents are in a retirement home in Canada. They are pretty much locked down. But other people make their meals, clean, keep the place running. Mostly young people with kids. Who can do that and really avoid spreading it? If your answer is 'inevitably they will get it', no. It's been 9 months now. They are alive.

It's impossible to isolate people completely. Especially the aged or infirmed. And once it gets in that kind of environment, it spreads like wildfire. In one Canadian old age home 50 people died within 2 weeks. The workers were stacking bodies like cordwood.

It's all trade-offs. There ARE things we could do. Approve rapid at-home testing, even though it's not perfect for instance. Wouldn't it be great to be able to easily test these teams that are practicing a couple of times a week? Or before and after playing in tournaments out of state? It's a $5 test in Germany. They come in packs of 25 and are similar to pregnancy tests. That's a federal government thing. But they are pretending it just doesn't exist.

I get that any life lost is tragic but when you're talking about infirmed and invalid there are very few years of potential life lost .  In life sometimes you have to weigh the lesser of two evils and sadly in Orange County teen suicide calls have increased 8000 percent https://www.ocregister.com/2020/04/19/suicide-help-hotline-calls-soar-in-southern-california-over-coronavirus-anxieties/

That doesn't even take into account the years of potential life lost for people who aren't going to the doctor for routine testing and early detection of other disease; not to mention the fallout we've all yet to feel financially in the coming months/years. The cost to protect people makes no sense when those actions cause more suffering than the disease itself.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 02:30:09 PM by UhhhhDuhhhh »

Ice-o-Matic

• Mite
  • LR Justice +6/-2
Re: Tryouts are pushed agaoin
« Reply #286 on: November 22, 2020, 10:39:51 PM »
Uhhhduhhhh, that story you linked to is *heartbreaking*....