This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Latest CAHA Non-sense  (Read 13322 times)

In The Crease

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +38/-12
Latest CAHA Non-sense
« on: October 30, 2020, 07:57:12 AM »
TIER 2Tier 2 regular season team formation and player contracts (bilaterally binding) shall be permitted effective 11/20/20, and per previously posted league tryout dates. What this means is that players choosing to commit to a Tier 2 team on/after 11/20/20 without an on-ice tryout will be bound to that team subject to the terms/conditions of player contract they enter into, and CAHA/USAH rostering rules and guidelines. Additionally, Tier 2 tournament rosters will not be approved after 11/20/20.

[/size]Ridiculous!  Is there a even going to be a season?  When?  What does it look like (how many games? etc.)?  Why would I sign without knowing this?  What is the purpose of the "contract"?  You can not control where I go and who I play with without a CAHA season.  The last statement that they will not approve Tournament rosters after 11/20 is truly the main issue.  Are there other parents questioning this?  We will not be signing.  Parents need to unite and push back.  Thoughts?

Nowhearthis

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +26/-12
Re: Latest CAHA Non-sense
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 09:02:52 AM »
I agree, this is the only sport my kid has played that did not provide transparency, including costs, travel requirements and a preliminary game schedule.  This has been the main CAHA failure for over a decade, and why many kids stop (and eventually quit)at the in house level.  I know this from direct experience in recruiting classmates and neighbors years back.  Parents shied away from the long and costly commitment (even if overly worried) and moved on to the easier to manage sports.  Kids have told me years later that they wished that they still played and that their parents were turned off by the commitment, both financial and time.  I think if the season was somehow split like back east we would get a lot more participation.

Moving on with our current environment, I know that the teams have their budgets and an idea of game schedules.  Make them share.  We need to respect ourselves as customers - or at least respect our money - and should be demanding a bit more than what CAHA has traditionally provided.  This is a special year in so many ways and that is when changes can occur.  An then maybe one day it won't be like "oh my, how fantastic that my kid has made the team! (as if he wouldn't somewhere) Take my money commit please so I can be your controlled plebe for the next 7-8 months!"

ohnonotagain

• Mite
  • LR Justice +16/-5
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 09:22:13 AM »
Have you talked to your association(s)?  They should know by now what their specific plan is, and what their backup plans are if things open up more, or what they will do if things get more restrictive.  CAHA has already stated they won't schedule a AA season, so its up to the associations/teams to create their own schedule - presumably out of state while King Newsom continues to dictate restricting kids' growth and development.

There are already AA teams formed at Midget and Bantam level.  Check myhockeyrankings.com for how they are doing.  They are traveling and playing out of state.

Hockeymomx

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +5/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 03:46:39 PM »
To be precise CAHA told SCAHA and NorCal to schedule the AA games.  The plan, I believe, was for 11-14 games. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 03:51:53 PM by Hockeymomx »

Beer Leaguer

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-2
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 04:01:04 PM »
Schedule them where? Do NorCal and SoCal play each other or is it separate until play downs/States?

Hockeymomx

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +5/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 04:46:38 PM »
My understanding is there are no CAHA weekends.  Southern teams will play each other and Northern teams will play each other.  SCAHA will have a certain number of teams they can send to playdowns (4) and NorCal will have two slots.  CAHA released this in July:

2020-2021 Tier 2 Season Format[/size]Due to the number of Tier 2 teams and the continued postponement by the State with respect to youth sports competition, coupled with the already noticed Tier 2 tryout dates, CAHA will not be scheduling the usual CAHA Tier 2 Weekends, but rather Tier 2 games this season will be scheduled by their respective Leagues (NORCAL/SCAHA) at such time the State permits youth sports competition. CAHA Tier 2 State Championships will differ this year only, from the normal (4) teamision format, to a six (6) teamision format (2-NORCAL/4-SCAHA) with the teams selected by their respective League to advance.Sincerely,Thomas HancockCAHA President
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 04:52:18 PM by Hockeymomx »

Beer Leaguer

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-2
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 05:43:16 PM »
Not playing in California

805hockey

• Mite
  • LR Justice +4/-1
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020, 08:54:09 PM »
Soooo, that mean A/B levels can still form tournament teams? 

BladesofSteel66

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +29/-22
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2020, 11:49:48 AM »
Signing LOIs is the RIGHT call.  Players were jumping from team to team to go to tournaments all over the country.  Some families essentially didn't care about being the outbreak monkey. 

Most Tier teams are invited to tournaments and have to re-roster every time and it is a long painful process.  Signing LOIs locks rosters in so that clubs don't have to go through the process of rostering for every tournament AND stopping players from jumping to multiple clubs/teams for random tournaments. 

It is the right thing to do. 

As for games in CA - never gonna happen.  The season scheduled for Feb-Mar-Apr-May will only get games played if/when clubs agree to "weekends" in another state.  Maybe once a month, go to another state w/4 teams and they all play each other.  That is the only way I can see a CAHA season getting completed. 

As for tournament teams, not too many states are going through with scheduled tournaments.  Even those are getting cancelled.  So, what is the point of NOT signing?  What would the advantage to that be? 

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2020, 03:31:11 PM »
Signing LOIs is the RIGHT call.  Players were jumping from team to team to go to tournaments all over the country.  Some families essentially didn't care about being the outbreak monkey. 

Most Tier teams are invited to tournaments and have to re-roster every time and it is a long painful process.  Signing LOIs locks rosters in so that clubs don't have to go through the process of rostering for every tournament AND stopping players from jumping to multiple clubs/teams for random tournaments. 

It is the right thing to do. 

As for games in CA - never gonna happen.  The season scheduled for Feb-Mar-Apr-May will only get games played if/when clubs agree to "weekends" in another state.  Maybe once a month, go to another state w/4 teams and they all play each other.  That is the only way I can see a CAHA season getting completed. 

As for tournament teams, not too many states are going through with scheduled tournaments.  Even those are getting cancelled.  So, what is the point of NOT signing?  What would the advantage to that be?
The advantage is for the clubs.  Money for essentially getting paid to used their name in tournaments and sell a few uniforms

fistocuffs

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +40/-61
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2020, 03:43:01 PM »
How does signing for one team keep you from being an outbreak monkey?  You are going to out of state tourney's - traveling in groups.  All staying in hotels.  All playing teams from other states- and really mixing it up with checking, close contact, indoors, on benches with zero social distancing for close to 2-3 hours w/ zero cohorting . btw.  Coaches are coaching multiple teams, kids are signing for both AA and HS.. .. by definition. you are all outbreak monkeys on this one.  (so to speak).   

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2020, 11:57:27 AM »
None of these COVID rules make since.  They are all arbitrary and do not hold up to scrutiny.

alfirst

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-39
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2020, 12:41:48 PM »
Yeah,

and meanwhile kids are skating, playing (where and whenever they can), some got tested positive, sit at home for couple days (like with any other cold/flu) - some have to quarantine then for 14 days and life goes on...[size=78%] [/size]

5lap5hot

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-7
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2020, 08:14:18 AM »
I'm not sure I understand CAHA's latest attempt to cancel and rescind travel approvals.  CAHA is responsible to USA Hockey to uphold the USA Hockey rosters and manage a season for youth hockey in CA.  I don't understand how they have an ability to advise on anything beyond that.  CAHA somehow feels they have a legal liability if they approve travel.  But that doesn't quiet make sense under their guidelines.  Nothing this like is highlighted as a responsibility to adopt a liability of allowing a team to travel.  In fact the guidelines indemnify CAHA from the member (Team) so that they are held harmless.  So CAHA is sticking their necks into a liability issue that they don't have, but by doing so might be opening it up to a liability.  So next year a team travels and someone gets the flu or the measles is CAHA liable?  A hotel is infected with bed bugs is CAHA liable?  A car accident and a hockey player is injured is CAHA liable?  It is the Member (team) and the player and family that make the decision to go.  CAHA is simply approving a USA Hockey registration and the tournament is sanctioned.

Its not a simple decision to go or stay.  The pandemic is real and there are people that are getting sick.  But its not CAHA that has any liability.  Its the team and the player/family.  Covid is not an unknown and it should be very clearly stated by the team that this is a decision that is made and the risks are accepted.

I'm not knocking CAHA board or minimizing covid in this post.  But trying to understand the legal basis that CAHA has to not allow travel due to their concern about legal issues against them.

KickSave

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +23/-26
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2020, 09:01:12 AM »
The fact that the state mandate clearly states no travel out of state for youth sports should be enough for clubs to hit pause.