This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Latest CAHA Non-sense  (Read 13211 times)

Richard Cranium

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-1
Re: Latest CAHA Non-sense
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2020, 10:17:49 AM »
The fact that the state mandate clearly states no travel out of state for youth sports should be enough for clubs to hit pause.

Yea and all the other state mandates that have been created have been totally warranted!! Oh brother! Let people police themselves...

KickSave

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +23/-26
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2020, 10:56:28 AM »
“You’re not the boss of me!” is annoying enough when it comes from a child.

Newsflash: our kids’ hockey future will survive a missed tournament or “showcase”. Let’s get this thing under control so that when we travel we can actually play different teams, not the same 6 or 7 others who still insist on traveling.

CAHockeyParent

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-4
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2020, 11:28:01 AM »
“You’re not the boss of me!” is annoying enough when it comes from a child.

Newsflash: our kids’ hockey future will survive a missed tournament or “showcase”. Let’s get this thing under control so that when we travel we can actually play different teams, not the same 6 or 7 others who still insist on traveling.

If you're following all guidelines, mandates or recommendations as it pertains to COVID in California then I applaud you. They are difficult to track and even harder to follow. If you are following all recommended guidelines it also means that players aren't practicing or playing and will not be for an extended period and haven't for quote a while. It's critical to remember these are "recommended precautions".

We will get through this and we will do it faster by being vigilant and careful just as much as if we were isolated. The case rates between California and Texas don't vary much, but their approaches are polar opposites with regards to shutting down.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 11:33:37 AM by CAHockeyParent »

KickSave

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +23/-26
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2020, 03:52:53 PM »
Show me one team that traveled out of state that was truly vigilant. Name one team that has traveled that hasn’t had an outbreak. They’re asking us to stop. Our doctors and nurses are asking us to stop.

CAHockeyParent

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-4
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2020, 05:15:34 PM »
Show me one team that traveled out of state that was truly vigilant. Name one team that has traveled that hasn’t had an outbreak. They’re asking us to stop. Our doctors and nurses are asking us to stop.

Doctors and Nurses aren't asking us to stop. The government is asking us to stop. The Doctors and Nurses are asking us to follow the CDC recommendations of washing our hands, wearing a mask, etc. There are virologists that being the immediate stay-at-home (thus indoors) order are more harmful than good.

There have been many California teams travel out of the state that have not contracted a single case. There are also teams that have gone out of state and contracted the virus. Was it from hockey? Was it from travel? or was it from behavior that was not inline with the recommendations from the CDC?

There are CA schools in session that have been in session since April without a documented case of in-school transmission. There are teams that are practicing that have not had a single case of transmission on ice and there are teams that have traveled that have not contracted a single case. Why can't we use the positive behaviors as an example rather, why must we look at the behaviors that have caused the spread?

Again, I applaud you in being able to following all recommendations, guidelines, and mandates. They aren't easy to do and I commend your dedication in helping eradicate the virus.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 05:24:17 PM by CAHockeyParent »

KickSave

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +23/-26
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2020, 05:27:27 PM »
We totally agree. Here the thing: not all the teams traveling are following guidelines. Rinks kick parents outside, where the parents then congregate to watch livestreams. Watch video - look at the parents and some coaches- no masks, yelling... Go to the restaurants - same thing. What’s the solution?

And yes, doctors and nurses are asking. You may not know them, but they are asking.

It’s not easy. With human nature and politics play way too much of a role in all of this, there is no good answer.

CAHockeyParent

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-4
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2020, 05:55:26 PM »
Yup, I feel we agree. The best we can do is, as individuals, decide what's best even if it may not align directly with the recommendations. Some recommendations are absolute no-brainers, others are a bit rougher. I could go on-and-on about the restrictions against practices (which I do not agree with and would go against the restrictions if the opportunity arose), but, at least I have more time to go to the mall, which is open.

Regarding the original statement by 5lap5hot, I agree, CAHA is currently in a pickle. Will they take a CA state recommendation and turn it into a CAHA mandate? Utah had this exact situation a few months back when they entered their first shutdown. They opted to allow the teams to travel with no cases in the state being linked to this behavior and decision. CAHA may feel like there's no right, or no wrong decision, but, it has potential impact of who stays going forward. I wish them the best and admit, I'm glad I'm not in the position to make the decision.

What if any travel between post Xmas and MLK happen to be the last available games across the entire country until May or the next season? It would sure make playing feel well worth it (for many of these kids it'd be the first time playing a competitive game since March). The unknown of what's going to happen in the future (regardless of the availability of a vaccine) causes a feeling of FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) so some individual family decisions are made based on that. I just hope the families that do travel are being vigilant and are using science based common sense.

Edit:
I also feel any decision that affects post Xmas and MLK travel will also impact Presidents Day (at a minimum).
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 06:01:01 PM by CAHockeyParent »

5lap5hot

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-7
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2020, 07:56:45 PM »
Yes CA Hockey Parent. That’s the question that I proposed. Not if we should or shouldn’t go. That’s not the point. I don’t see anywhere in the CAHA regulations that give them the authority to not authorize a USA Hockey sanctioned event with USA Hockey players. I think they’re asking for more exposure when none exists. Your team has the ability to go or not and you as a player/family has the choice as well.

I don’t want to jump into the fight about covid as it’s too emotional. This is purely a “legal” question. I don’t see it for CAHA.

NotfromSoCal

• Mite
  • LR Justice +4/-19
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2020, 08:58:52 PM »

Plenty of teams have travelled to multiple states, played teams from multiple states, and continue to hold practices with zero cases.  No need to name them, I think you can figure it out.  Successful programs are controlling the environment and risk as much as possible and have the buy-in and commitment of players, coaches, and families to do that.

According to news sources, the spread at Thanksgiving family gatherings is through the roof.  Could it just be that people let their guards down at home?  Hell, maybe these families all make out or have big orgies after dinner?  IDK what goes on in other people’s households.

I would argue that the risk goes down with activities out of the household because the level of structure and awareness is higher.

The rules applied by Ca lawmakers is nothing more than a guess since they seem to have ZERO data despite spending millions on the contact tracing team (all led by Newsom’s business buddies).  I’m sure they are being paid very well but there is ZERO data being shared regarding the spread.  Listened to the Fresno County Health Director today blame gyms for being super spreaders.  They have been closed for six months, how could they be to blame.  Total BS but people are stupid enough to believe the BA!

Finally, for those who said missing a tournament or two won’t hurt your kids development.  It’s not a tournament or two, it’s now a year or two if we don’t push to make games and travel happen.  I assume most of you have a kid in tier hockey but can you say the kid who plays A or B hockey who started a year or two ago isn’t going to suffer by being off the ice for a year?  Most A and B aren’t on the ice at all.  How many of those kids will not come back?

If you are at risk, stay home otherwise be safe and play hockey!!!

KickSave

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +23/-26
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2020, 10:20:30 PM »
It’s just plain sad and depressing that legal standing has to even be an issue. People will never do the right thing if it’s an inconvenience to them. Sure a lost season is a travesty. We shouldn’t even be in this situation, yet here we are arguing about the entitlement to have a USA Hockey roster.

If everyone could agree to the right things, I have no doubt hockey and other sports could be done safely. But at this point everyone is too busy complaining and being outraged.

Have a great night. It’s a beauty.

5lap5hot

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-7
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2020, 08:00:20 AM »
Kicksave you just can't get off your high horse.  Everything I've got three kids traveling and have done tournaments all around the country.  Not one of mine have come back with covid and together we've done 11 tournaments/travel out of state.  I've now spent almost a $1000 on testing and still negative.  Tell me why I would want to stay here in CA when we have the most cases?  CA has been very good at pushing masks for over 6 months but we still have the most cases in the country and its growing super fast with these, but still my family has been at these tournaments and practices and still no covid for us.  So either we're immune or we've been following the guidelines and its been handled well among the teams.

So yes if you don't like dealing with legal issues don't sign a contract ever.  Yes I would like people to follow the rules that's why they're there.  If you don't want to answer the question and simply complain that its come to this your missing the point of the question.  As I said its not about COVID but about what they can do.  Its a forum on CAHA its here to ask questions and even theoretical ones.  So either answer that or go to another thread.

Hockey sophist

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +50/-98
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2020, 12:40:52 PM »
CAHockeyParent
"According to news sources, the spread at Thanksgiving family gatherings is through the roof.  Could it just be that people let their guards down at home?  Hell, maybe these families all make out or have big orgies after dinner?  IDK what goes on in other people’s households."
I hope the turkey wasn't involved in the orgies.    IDK what goes into those turkeys.

805hockey

• Mite
  • LR Justice +4/-1
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2020, 06:16:39 PM »
Looks like caha is letting those who want to play out of state,  play

fistocuffs

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +40/-61
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2020, 06:28:31 PM »
That’s one way to look at it.   I read it more like. Caha overreaached.  They are not in the business of policing.   Teams can read and know what the state said about out of state sports

If you look at bylaws of caha. They simply are there to make sure penalties are properly enforced and rosters are correct and legal and all teams are following USA hockey rules of play

I feel the liability is now on the team. And the families if crap hits the Covid fan.  This is where it belongs I feel. 

Caha is not allowing anything.  It was never their call to dictate

CAHockeyParent

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-4
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2020, 10:56:22 PM »
That’s one way to look at it.   I read it more like. Caha overreaached.  They are not in the business of policing.   Teams can read and know what the state said about out of state sports

If you look at bylaws of caha. They simply are there to make sure penalties are properly enforced and rosters are correct and legal and all teams are following USA hockey rules of play

I feel the liability is now on the team. And the families if crap hits the Covid fan.  This is where it belongs I feel. 

Caha is not allowing anything.  It was never their call to dictate

I'm glad with the decision. Moreso, I'm glad they included an explanation as to why the temporary per.it requirement was implemented. It's a good realization by CAHA and a win for individuals and their clubs so the decision could be done at the team and family level.

Hope everyone has been healthy and stays healthy as we head into the holiday stretch.