This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Lots and lots of AAA teams next year  (Read 17000 times)

notTHATdad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +46/-17
Lots and lots of AAA teams next year
« on: March 24, 2021, 10:30:53 AM »
I guess everyone in SoCal complaining about the small number of AAA teams will get their wishes. On CAHA site today:

Boys
11U - Anaheim Jr. Ducks, LA Jr. Kings, San Jose Jr. Sharks
12U - Anaheim Jr. Ducks, Calif. Golden Bears; LA Jr. Kings, San Jose Jr. Sharks
13O - Anaheim Jr. Ducks, LA Jr. Kings, San Jose Jr. Sharks
14U - Anaheim Jr. Ducks, Calif. Golden Bears, LA Jr. Kings, Jr. Reign Hockey Club, San Jose Jr. Sharks
15O - Anaheim Jr. Ducks, Anaheim Ice Dogs; Golden State Elite, LA Jr. Kings, Jr. Reign Hockey Club, San Jose Jr. Sharks
16U - Anaheim Jr. Ducks, Anaheim Ice Dogs, Golden State Elite, LA Jr. Kings, Jr. Reign Hockey Club, San Diego Saints, San Jose Jr. Sharks
18U - Anaheim Jr. Ducks, California Wave, LA Jr. Kings, Jr. Reign Hockey Club, San Diego Saints, San Jose Jr. Sharks

Personally, given what I saw this year from the Jr Reign, I don't see how it works. The Reign are ranked #113 out of 119 AAA clubs in the country. The Jr Sharks (who so many in SoCal consider terrible) beat them 9-3 and 10-0 in States, and it wasn't even as close as the scores indicate. Yes, they somehow pulled off a win against the Kings, who only carried over 2 or 3 AAA players from last year, but also lost 6-1 to them. I've always thought that a 3rd AAA team from down south was marginal, and that seems to be what happened this year. Probably worth it, but marginally.

But to add two MORE to 18's? A year when every team struggles to get qualified players? And even more at 16's? California AAA hockey will just be embarrassing.  And it has other impacts as like this year, we end up sending players to districts from terrible rosters because "every team wants their best there", instead of better players from other rosters.

California AAA is going to be a national joke next year.

AllEyesOnYou

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-3
Re: Lots and lots of AAA teams next year
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 10:56:10 AM »
I guess everyone in SoCal complaining about the small number of AAA teams will get their wishes. On CAHA site today:

Boys
14U - Anaheim Jr. Ducks, Calif. Golden Bears, LA Jr. Kings, Jr. Reign Hockey Club, San Jose Jr. Sharks
15O - Anaheim Jr. Ducks, Anaheim Ice Dogs; Golden State Elite, LA Jr. Kings, Jr. Reign Hockey Club, San Jose Jr. Sharks
16U - Anaheim Jr. Ducks, Anaheim Ice Dogs, Golden State Elite, LA Jr. Kings, Jr. Reign Hockey Club, San Diego Saints, San Jose Jr. Sharks
18U - Anaheim Jr. Ducks, California Wave, LA Jr. Kings, Jr. Reign Hockey Club, San Diego Saints, San Jose Jr. Sharks

Personally, given what I saw this year from the Jr Reign, I don't see how it works. The Reign are ranked #113 out of 119 AAA clubs in the country. The Jr Sharks (who so many in SoCal consider terrible) beat them 9-3 and 10-0 in States, and it wasn't even as close as the scores indicate. Yes, they somehow pulled off a win against the Kings, who only carried over 2 or 3 AAA players from last year, but also lost 6-1 to them. I've always thought that a 3rd AAA team from down south was marginal, and that seems to be what happened this year. Probably worth it, but marginally.

But to add two MORE to 18's? A year when every team struggles to get qualified players? And even more at 16's? California AAA hockey will just be embarrassing.  And it has other impacts as like this year, we end up sending players to districts from terrible rosters because "every team wants their best there", instead of better players from other rosters.

@NotTHATDad  ..... you're sure sounding like 'that guy'.  My guess is CAHA is trying to stop the bleeding out of California talented athletes to other destinations and give them something to chase...extra AAAAAAAAA's.  Having only 3 clubs permitted at AAA level hasn't exactly worked so well... or has it?  Comparing California hockey to the rest of the country via myhockeyrankings is clearly a challenge in itself as well.

AllEyesOnYou

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-3
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 11:09:28 AM »

@NotTHATDad  ..... you're sure sounding like 'that guy'.  My guess is CAHA is trying to stop the bleeding out of California talented athletes to other destinations and give them something to chase...extra AAAAAAAAA's.  Having only 3 clubs permitted at AAA level hasn't exactly worked so well... or has it?  Comparing California hockey to the rest of the country via myhockeyrankings is clearly a challenge in itself as well.[/size]

Boys

@NotTHATDad  ..... you're sure sounding like 'that guy'.  My guess is CAHA is trying to stop the bleeding out of California talented athletes to other destinations and give them something to chase...extra AAAAAAAAA's.  Having only 3 clubs permitted at AAA level hasn't exactly worked so well... or has it?  Comparing California hockey to the rest of the country via myhockeyrankings is clearly a challenge in itself as well.

notTHATdad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +46/-17
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 11:14:06 AM »
AAA has to mean something.

The Reign (who I'm saying are not a bad idea... but marginal) have a 7-21-1 record against AAA teams that, frankly, mostly nobody has heard of, plus a few better-known-but-bad teams (Renegades, Bobcats, Sundevils...) . To their credit, they have been playing teams of their caliber mostly, and not getting stomped, which makes sense as a "growth" AAA org. It's a good strategy - stay away from the T1EHL teams, and the east coast monsters while you grow.

Can we afford as a state a team in that 'growth' state? Maybe. Probably.

Are there the horses to support 3? Forgetaboutit.  The players just aren't there.

AllEyesOnYou

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-3
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 01:14:32 PM »
Well, AAA in California is merely AA/A/B hockey in many other destinations.   Found some intriguing posts on this subject from prior that might stir it up a bit even more, hope you can open and read these.

https://www.calhockey.com/index.php?topic=4391.0

notTHATdad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +46/-17
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 01:29:51 PM »
Meh.

You can't totally base it on clubs, because each year is different, but there is some consistency...

Ducks are almost always in the 20's nationally.
Jr Sharks are often ranked in the 40's
Kings are often in that area or better (recent implosions aside)

That's real AAA.

In general the AAA ranking list can almost always be split into 3 zones (again, with exceptions):

"Elite" AAA teams. Usually starts somewhere between 15-20 ranked teams. Cream of the crop.
"Regular" AAA teams. Starts where Elite leaves off. Ends somewhere around #60-70
"AAA Wannabe's". Starts where "Regular" leaves off, goes to the bottom. Either teams having really bad years, or not really AAA caliber.

Teams are usually competitive within those groups. And typically on a "1 out of 5" or so basis can beat one level up or down. Almost never beyond that. It's remarkably consistent year over year (at least for the 10 years I've been watching it)

The question is how many teams do you really want in that third group. And at some point are you just pulling players away from the first 2 groups and damaging the situation.

#4BobbyOrr

• Midget
  • LR Justice +98/-106
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 05:36:57 PM »
Thank you CAHA! Now the Kings and Ducks will have to compete on price.

notTHATdad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +46/-17
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 07:52:04 PM »
Competition is DEFINITELY good. And I'd love to see it (in Norcal especially!), but only if the players are there.

BTW, a lot of the content in that thread from a couple of years ago is absolute horse crap, including the premise that started it off. I can think of few worse measures for 'how well a state is doing' than national championships (or even appearances). The rules change over the years. The politics change over the years. The other states change over the years. It's not a strict 'ladder'. The ones that make it are always the ones that win multiple 1-game deciding games in previous rounds, which we all know in hockey is not a great predictor (thus 7 game series in real leagues, and even up in Canadian youth hockey.)

And it's kind of like saying the only reasonable NHL teams are those that make the conference-finals... Uh... no. Rankings (which at least have SOME data behind them, and usually a 30-40 game sample size) are a much better mechanism. In my experience, the myhockeyrankings are damn good predictors.  The people who don't like them are typically just pissed off that their bad AAA teams are ranked low, or their AA teams are shown as way behind the AAA teams in the combined rankings (news flash - they are). Butt hurt parents.

The other thing you are going to see with too many teams is a whole lot of players playing 'up' who shouldn't be. Count on it. That was the plan for the aborted GSE attempt a couple of years ago, because when coaches look at players that clearly aren't AAA, versus 'stars' from the previous year, that's where they go. MAYBE they can hack it, but mostly what it means is one less year of development. Where you typically see that is in reduced hockey-sens - just less experience. Players playing 'up' should the in the top 4 or so players of the team they are play up TO, not just 'good enough to keep up'. If they are forced up due to lack of players, they end up as bench fillers losing valuable development while getting no ice time, and/or you are going to see more injuries as underdeveloped kids play 16AAA and 18AAA. AAA is about winning, because if that level isn't, what level is?. They will sit.

JackBender

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-20
    • Tom's Chuckle Barn
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2021, 11:13:48 PM »
BTW, a lot of the content in that thread from a couple of years ago is absolute horse crap, including the premise that started it off.

Hmm... guess we'll see.  ;)
I'm your Huckleberry

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2021, 12:16:22 AM »

Ducks are almost always in the 20's nationally.
Jr Sharks are often ranked in the 40's
Kings are often in that area or better (recent implosions aside)

"Elite" AAA teams. Usually starts somewhere between 15-20 ranked teams. Cream of the crop.
"Regular" AAA teams. Starts where Elite leaves off. Ends somewhere around #60-70
"AAA Wannabe's". Starts where "Regular" leaves off, goes to the bottom. Either teams having really bad years, or not really AAA caliber.

The question is how many teams do you really want in that third group. And at some point are you just pulling players away from the first 2 groups and damaging the situation.

The damage has already been done, and it's ongoing.  Kids leaving Cal to play elsewhere.  This being an unprecedented year, whilst simultaneously terribly limiting, Covid also stemmed the bleeding and artificially propped up teams, because a fair number of prep bound kids deferred/played in Cal because hockey was locked out of many schools either for the entire year, or most of it.  Obviously, the Sharks didn't even launch, until just prior to states.  I guess that the dates and CAHA bylaws were just thrown out this year, which again I understand, however, realistically, CAHA apparently just allowed the Sharks teams to form with whomever wanted to join literally at playoff time.

In one example, at U15 this year looking at the rankings within the Pacific district as we speak:

Team Alaska (41st)
JD (53)
Saints (66)
JK (86)
Sharks (92)
NW Stars [Seattle area] (101)

This is the 1st year I really took a hard look at myhockeyrankings, and the reality is that the algorithm does favor socal teams in a subtle but important way.  Quality of competition is one of the most important factors.  It is hard to move up or down for many teams that play top level teams and are competitive, but also due to league play, must play a significant number of games against teams with lower quality of competition.  Unless you are blowing out everyone, you often lose points even when you win, and slip in the rankings.

With the artificial constraint of local limitation, the franchised AAA teams from Cali must travel the majority of the year, to play other teams, and they can avoid playing games against teams that are likely to drain some of their ranking score.  Of course you do have to be able to compete with top notch teams, but you can also avoid playing "middling" teams that might beat you on a given day, and keep your ranking a bit higher than other locales.   If you are playing mostly high ranked teams you can lose the majority of your games and still maintain a relatively high ranking, so long as you can avoid playing teams with a low ranking.  Again you can't get blown out, but things like better than average goaltending can help keep scores close even if you really are getting pretty soundly outplayed by a team.  The rankings don't factor that in at all.

It's also a lot easier for the Cal teams to win states and districts and gain a national berth when you don't have to beat out any number of top 50 teams, and in some places 1 or 2 top 20 or better teams from your district.  Yes in some years past at some age groups there was some parity and competition, but this year not so much.  In most of the age groups there is one team that is a clear front runner from a ranking standpoint.

As for Butt hurt AA parents -- umm, no, sorry.  How many do you know?  Again, at the '05 level, last year in Bantam, the Bears1 team beat every AAA team in California as I recall, and were actually the 2nd ranked AA team, as they were unable to beat the Saints.  An extreme example for sure, but another harbinger of the results of recent CAHA policies, because those teams had multiple AAA players who chose to play AA on those teams for that season.  And no, the teams were not just made up of AAA refugees, even though they had some former AAA players. 

Also the AA people, don't complain about their rankings relative to AAA teams, nor in my experience do they really think about it or care much. 

With that said, this year at 16U if you just look at the combined 15/16u rankings for  california, JD is highly ranked but then you have:

Sharks 16uAAA (80th) based on 6 whole games of which 3 were against the JK  :)
JK 16uAAA (140th)
Bears 16uAA (167th)
Ice Dogs 16uAA (184th)

How much money would you be willing to bet that the JK beat the Bears if they were to have played a game this year?  Ice Dogs are also pretty good.  I'd be nervous if it was my money -- and this is again 16u.

And one final comment in defense of the Reign 16u --- again I don't know every kid, but I do know a significant chunk of their roster, perhaps even the majority of it, was 15u players. 

Perhaps if the Reign had more flexibility, they might have rostered a 16u AND 15u team, and the 15u team might have emerged from the state championships, as the Saints 15u did -- going undefeated btw.  Yes the Saints 15u team, who will likely present a significant challenge for the JD in the District playoffs, and were up to this year a AA team, even though in several prior years, they played and defeated quite a number of AAA teams in tournaments. 

CAHA's opening up the field to more AAA options could be looked at as giving into letter chasing parents, which some have persistently argued, or it could just be recognizing what was plainly evident to a lot of people. 

Cali has 2 '06 14u teams this year in the top 20:

JK #9
Ice Dogs #15

It kinda speaks for itself, that CAHA rules made it difficult for JD, the Saints, ID and Bears to field AAA teams when they were plainly good enough to do so, often for seasons at a time.

I take no pleasure in this, as I know it had to be miserable for norcal families who love hockey and in the past year, were unable to form due to local restrictions, but the '06 Jr Sharks AAA team, with their 0-19 record, are for good reason, ranked behind the Rose City Pats AA -- a club that was literally formed this season.   :o

notTHATdad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +46/-17
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2021, 10:37:42 AM »
LOL. Let's actually start with facts.

First - I'm not saying the Reign are a bad idea, even though they are uncompetitive. There is a middle ground between "just the three NHL clubs" and "Hey... let's add 3 more in a year". If you look up above, that was my original point. I worry particularly at 18's where it's really tough to get players, because a lot of the best AAA players move on to Jr.

On your other points...

The Jr Sharks teams were formed last year at the normal time last year. The Roster date was extended one month by CAHA, but the Sharks to my knowledge did not take advantage of that.

Santa Clara county wielded a huge amount of influence on the Jr Sharks. In addition to the state Covid restrictions, they put in place a county law which said, effectively, that any youth organization caught organizing or participating in any event, even out of county, would henceforth not be able to do business in Santa Clara county. Basically, you lose your business license.  Bad. And when you find out that the Santa Clara considers the Jr Sharks and BIG Sharks one organization... Really Bad. The club's hands were tied. Apart from the 18's that made it to a single tournament before that decree, they played zero games as a club. But this all happened late in the game. I hope your assertion isn't that CAHA should have PULLED the teams from the Jr Sharks?

Do the Jr Sharks 06's suck? Yup. No news there. The 04 Jr Kings also suck (relative to other JK years and, honestly, the JK 04's 3 years ago). In both cases due to (very different) internal issues - that all clubs go through some times.

On the stats, there are interesting aspects. You actually pay a huge price in the myhockeyrankings for playing bad teams because there is a goal limit. For instance, The 04 Sharks played the Reign twice, and beat them 9-3 and 10-0. There is a 5 goal expected differential between them. They SHOULD beat them by 5 goals. In fact they beat them by 6 and 10, so that should move the Jr Sharks up in the rankings. But to explicitly avoid this 'hack', of just playing shitty teams, they limit the diff calculation. I can't remember the number, but I think it's 3 or 4 goals. What teams realize is that if you care about rankings, you don't even play shitty teams, because there is no way to win. They just drag you down.

Note that the ducks RARELY play shitty teams. I've always assumed that was intentional, or at least part of the calculation.

But... my observation remains. Within the three groups I identified, competition is always good. The rankings work. I can pretty much look at a game my kids team is going into and know if it is going to be tough based on them, and I've been able to do it for years. It's certainly better than some notion of 'national championships' as being meaningful.

On the Reign, you mention one of my fears - that with too few players, too many players will 'play up'. That leads to bad hockey and broken development, something that both the Reign and the Jr Kings are experiencing. Not every kid playing up shouldn't, but it has an impact. And if your team is a struggling one down in the 100's... probably nobody is good enough to play up unless they are the absolute superstars on the team. It also hurts the team they are leaving - one of the reasons the 05 Jr Sharks are struggling is two of their best players are on the 04 Jr Sharks this year (In that case though, they are both kids that were drafted, etc. I'll leave it to their parents and the coaches to decide if it's been a good thing for them though.)

And yeah, I have multiple kids that play, and have experienced everything between in house to AAA, to HS, as a hockey dad, a manager, a coach... too much. I've met WAY TOO MANY butt hurt AA parents in my time :-) In fact, I'd say (present company clearly excepted! :-) ) AA is where 'peak butt-hurt' occurs. But that's just my observation (and said in jest... mostly...) ;-)

Knuckle Puck

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +56/-11
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2021, 11:39:43 AM »
five to ten years ago, there were this many teams in aaa, quite a few were nationally competitive, only a handful of kids left the state before they turned 17, and most every club could boast of graduates to major junior and d1.

in 2015, caha started actively restricting the number of aaa teams. the exodus of midget players started immediately thereafter, and now every birth year sees 40-50 kids leave before 16u eligibility ends. the exodus of talent has turned aaa midget hockey into a poor value for those who stay.

perhaps the thinking is that going back to "the way it was" will encourage more quality kids in the '07 and younger birth years to stay home longer. personally, i think the horse has long since left the barn. i think the only way to keep the majority of top talent home through u16 is the building of a competitive regional circuit (la, sd, norcal, vegas, phoenix) that offers high level competition, less costly travel and missed school, and attracts scouts to watch. you know, something similar to what is available in other parts of the continent. but i dont see that happening
with the current lack of vision and every-club-for-itself mentality out here. sad.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 11:59:18 AM by Knuckle Puck »

notTHATdad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +46/-17
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2021, 12:15:49 PM »
Well, there is one thing we can agree on.

We need AAA teams in Seattle and Vegas. That would make a nice circuit and would change everything.

Knuckle Puck

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +56/-11
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2021, 01:28:49 PM »
san diego and vegas would be better because driving. vegas now with 4 rinks should be able to support aaa in a few years. sd already produces enough quality players if they would just stay home and aggregate at one club. a legit elite sports academy in socal that includes a hockey division is ultimately what will be needed to keep the best talent home. we can dream, right?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 01:36:50 PM by Knuckle Puck »

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2021, 09:36:37 PM »
On the stats, there are interesting aspects. You actually pay a huge price in the myhockeyrankings for playing bad teams because there is a goal limit. For instance, The 04 Sharks played the Reign twice, and beat them 9-3 and 10-0. There is a 5 goal expected differential between them. They SHOULD beat them by 5 goals. In fact they beat them by 6 and 10, so that should move the Jr Sharks up in the rankings

It's actually 7 goals.  They cap it at 7, so in your example the Goal differential on those 2 games was 13 -- very close to the maximum you could have.

That is not what I'm talking about though, I'm talking about the socal teams, mainly the Kings and Ducks, have enjoyed a subtle advantage compared to teams in other districts where they have played numerous top 10 teams, even getting wins and ties against those opponents, but due to having to play league opponents with a lower quality of competition, lose points and ranking position.  It's a subtle weakness of the algorithm.  Overall, I don't disagree that the computation does a good job of providing you a general idea of the relative strength of teams you are going to be playing, but it's certainly not cut and dry, nor a substitute for actually playing games.   

First - I'm not saying the Reign are a bad idea, even though they are uncompetitive. There is a middle ground between "just the three NHL clubs" and "Hey... let's add 3 more in a year". If you look up above, that was my original point. I worry particularly at 18's where it's really tough to get players, because a lot of the best AAA players move on to Jr.

In fact, that is one of the very best things about AAA -- that you play in your birth year.  It's not that the Reign chose to have 11 '05's playing up on their team.  It's that they were only sanctioned to have a U16 team, and the group of '05's, many of whom have played together on various A and AA teams previously, went as a group to the Reign.

As for the Sharks, I get that they were in a tough spot, and as I said, I take no pleasure in the restrictions to any of the many norcal hockey families.  With that said, the problems they face due to county restrictions, is in no way different to the restrictions that closed any number of community/city owned rinks, and which have kept them closed to this day.  The Pats I mentioned came out of Pasadena, and the Pasadena rink they expected to play in, closed at the start of Covid restrictions, and as we speak is still closed.  Should the Sharks been allowed to form teams in 2021 just in time to play in the state championships?  I personally don't see the harm, but something tells me that if it was a small club somewhere -- the existing rules regarding team formation and rostering dates might have been enforced.  In other words, are the Sharks teams, actual teams, or just tournament teams that have to win 2 small regional weekend tournaments to get a bid to the national championship?

We need AAA teams in Seattle and Vegas. That would make a nice circuit and would change everything.

Neighboring states with far fewer hockey players and teams having AAA would be a game changer, but Cali having 5 or 6 AAA teams at age group would not?

Last I looked, LA to Seattle is about the same drive as LA to Texas, so I'm not sure how that's going to change a whole lot.  Seattle teams are already capable in normal years of playing Vancouver teams.

It's a lot more likely that a regional circuit will evolve if there's a healthy California AAA league that can provide a baseline of games that don't require expensive air travel. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 09:39:17 PM by lcadad »