This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: PeeWee AA 21-22  (Read 9997 times)

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
Re: PeeWee AA 21-22
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2021, 12:34:36 PM »

As for teams like the 09's Ducks and 09' Kings that are top teams in the country, their top rivals in the country and top 10 teams will continue to see through their loss of an A and will continue to play them whenever they want.  Top teams know each other and they find each other regardless of a stupid technicality like this. 

I don't know the right answer to this so correct me if I'm wrong but I thought T1E doesn't start until 2nd year Bantam, when you can play for a national title. Yes, no?

The official divisions of T1E start at Bantam, but they have Youth showcase divisions that go down to Squirt now. 

As for "top teams" playing each other, well yes and no.  They need a platform to play.  Many of the top teams play in 2-4 leagues already, and have commitments to play those league games, leaving little to no room for "independent games".  Schools like Shattuck that have an independent schedule will reach out to teams willing to travel to them to play, but that is the exception.

If you look at 'AA' teams that were really quasi 'AAA' teams, and saw where they played AAA teams, it was almost always in tournaments.  A lot of the time, the "top" AAA teams who aren't otherwise already playing each other in a league, play each other in showcase weekends.  Now assuming that you have 3 of the best teams from the East coast playing a showcase weekend in Pittsburgh or Boston area, your LA 'AA' team is going to have to fly and stay in a hotel to get in those 3 games.  You do 2 or 3 of these weekends, and now explain to me the major cost savings and difference between what you had before? [size=78%]  [/size]

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2021, 12:38:27 PM »
this is the way things were until about 10 years ago. there was no minor-year aaa; the best minor birth-year teams played in aa. iirc, in 2012, the first full-roster minor-year birth teams started playing in aaa, but they had to compete in the same division as the major birth-year kids. that didn't work so good, so around 2015 caha introduced 11aaa, 13aaa and 15aaa. going back to having the best minor-year kids playing in aa is not a big deal, imo.

The best minor year kids won't be playing there, they will be playing up on major year teams.  As for birth year teams, like many things that have changed, regardless of when they changed, it is the new norm.  The youth hockey playing world now has myhockeyrankings and eliteprospects. California might think it can go back to the way things were in the past, but the rest of the country is not going to follow them.

#4BobbyOrr

• Midget
  • LR Justice +98/-106
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2021, 01:15:01 PM »
no tournament will care how many "A's" are on your team name, they will care about your team's rating on myhockeyrankings.

HockeyGuy-99

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +22/-8
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2021, 03:59:43 PM »

As for teams like the 09's Ducks and 09' Kings that are top teams in the country, their top rivals in the country and top 10 teams will continue to see through their loss of an A and will continue to play them whenever they want.  Top teams know each other and they find each other regardless of a stupid technicality like this. 

I don't know the right answer to this so correct me if I'm wrong but I thought T1E doesn't start until 2nd year Bantam, when you can play for a national title. Yes, no?

The official divisions of T1E start at Bantam, but they have Youth showcase divisions that go down to Squirt now. 

As for "top teams" playing each other, well yes and no.  They need a platform to play.  Many of the top teams play in 2-4 leagues already, and have commitments to play those league games, leaving little to no room for "independent games".  Schools like Shattuck that have an independent schedule will reach out to teams willing to travel to them to play, but that is the exception.

If you look at 'AA' teams that were really quasi 'AAA' teams, and saw where they played AAA teams, it was almost always in tournaments.  A lot of the time, the "top" AAA teams who aren't otherwise already playing each other in a league, play each other in showcase weekends.  Now assuming that you have 3 of the best teams from the East coast playing a showcase weekend in Pittsburgh or Boston area, your LA 'AA' team is going to have to fly and stay in a hotel to get in those 3 games.  You do 2 or 3 of these weekends, and now explain to me the major cost savings and difference between what you had before? [size=78%]  [/size]

There will be no cost savings!  Actually quite the opposite.  We'll all be forced to throw more money at CAHA and then add those extra fly away events. 

The shift is strategy is beginning.  CA hockey has become quite good at the top.  Future goals will be to stop these high end talent players from leaving the state.  I mean, it seems like half of Shattuck's are CA boys.  Optimum, Fairmont, whatever KHS calls their school and I'm sure the kings will follow suit soon too.  Everyone at the top is just going to continue to try to keep the money in house.  Starting with Mites that aren't allowed to travel out of state.   If that still is the rule post covid?  Not sure.     

I do agree with BobbyOrr though.  Those AAA Superseries teams will still take a CA AA team full well knowing they are really a AAA team as long as they stay birthyear. 

#4BobbyOrr

• Midget
  • LR Justice +98/-106
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2022, 10:54:42 PM »
i'd like to see MN hockey go on the same calendar birthyear as the rest of the country so you could compare apples and apples. if the 09's went to MN to play the best teams, those MN teams would be made up of  predominantly 08's because of their different age classifications. The california birthyear teams do just fine against the mn spring teams, except maybe the MN fire which is a statewide all star team.

HockeyGuy-99

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +22/-8
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2022, 01:04:42 PM »
i'd like to see MN hockey go on the same calendar birthyear as the rest of the country so you could compare apples and apples. if the 09's went to MN to play the best teams, those MN teams would be made up of  predominantly 08's because of their different age classifications. The california birthyear teams do just fine against the mn spring teams, except maybe the MN fire which is a statewide all star team.

Yeah....there's that too and you beat me to it. CA is not MN, patches of ice are easier to come by than outdoor basketball courts in CA.  But we're doing things better her than most states with very limited numbers in comparison to places like MN.  Take the 06' birthyear, 16 of the top 40 WHL draft picks were CA boys.  As for MN most prestigious prep school, it's filled with CA boys.  Weird but reality.

TopCorns88

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-2
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2022, 11:53:09 PM »
12AA spring skates are in full swing