This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: CAHA's Tier 1 eligibility announcement  (Read 6635 times)

JagrBomb

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +5/-0
CAHA's Tier 1 eligibility announcement
« on: April 12, 2022, 08:27:10 AM »
Any thoughts on the officially released eligibility list from CAHA?   :o

alfirst

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-39
Re: CAHA's Tier 1 eligibility announcement
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 12:28:35 PM »
Does it mean no Bears and/or Ice Dogs Tier 1 this year?

JagrBomb

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +5/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 01:59:44 PM »
So they just amended the announcement to now address the grandfathered teams (Bear and Ice Dogs remain) from last season and Flyers getting 15O.

alfirst

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-39
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 02:47:33 PM »
 Yeah - that was quick - I guess those club players freaked out...

ohnonotagain

• Mite
  • LR Justice +16/-5
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 04:29:23 PM »
Any thoughts on the officially released eligibility list from CAHA?   :o

Wow things have changed in the last few years.  From too few Tier I teams to what feels like too many.  And Vegas is adding an 18AAA team on top of their 14AAA and 16AAA.

Are these SoCal teams attracting players from out of state?  How are they filling their rosters?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 04:31:04 PM by ohnonotagain »

JagrBomb

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +5/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2022, 09:33:35 AM »
[Are these SoCal teams attracting players from out of state?  How are they filling their rosters?

I know the Kings bring in from all over the state, country and am hearing even north of the border for this coming season.

I just don't get the logic of granting the teams with the "most registered hockey players" Tier status.  The most A and B players doesn't add up to more As.  Add to that, the basic geography failure from this plan and it just seems to hurt California hockey more than anything.  All SoCal Tier 1 options are either on the far south end of LA County or outside it altogether.  Windshield time continues...

ohnonotagain

• Mite
  • LR Justice +16/-5
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2022, 01:03:38 PM »
I just don't get the logic of granting the teams with the "most registered hockey players" Tier status. 

I think it was about a decade ago USA Hockey tried to get associations to only offer Tier I teams if they were actually developing the pool of hockey players as motivation to grow the game and grow players from within to focus on development, rather than letting other associations develop and "steal" those players later.  If the last few years CAHA has gotten away from that, this sounds like its a move back to the intent of USA Hockey from the early ADM days.