This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Bantam AA 16/17  (Read 160396 times)

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
Re: Bantam AA 16/17
« Reply #195 on: October 09, 2016, 10:42:39 PM »
well, first "weekend" is officially in the books.  anyone care to provide some updated rankings?  looks like our SD friends took a few on the chin and looks like the 02 sharks are the real deal...

You do know SJ1 was the Bantam Minor AAA team from last year minus 2 that went to St. Louis Jr Blues and 1 to SJ U16 AAA?

I didn't realize that, thanks for the info. They look like the top dogs.

Panther Coach

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +41/-21
« Reply #196 on: October 10, 2016, 07:12:18 AM »
With the new schedule and less games than teams, the Bears don't even play OC1 or Ducks 1 in the regular season. Although a few months back both teams beat the Bears Memorial Day. For me the Bears have more to prove this early since they didn't play the IHE tournament with the rest of the top teams. They are good but small

You do know that the Bears spring team wasn't as loaded as there team now right? Also you are not correct they play The Ducks and OC as part of their 12 games.

I don't see on the CAHA schedule where they play these teams but it looks like 10 games are scheduled and maybe the 2 remaining are them.  I also get that Spring teams change.  Both OC and Ducks teams changed a couple of players as well.  All I am saying is they haven't played any of the top teams yet and blowing out low end AA to A teams is not a good measure.  The Bears AA last year was not very strong in the AA division and while I get adding the 03's from their AAA program will help I don't see it that much.  Look at the AAA Gulls at IHE playing AA Labor Day. 

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #197 on: October 10, 2016, 07:42:11 AM »
The Bears will be a top team this year.  Plenty of talent and good coaching.  According to some sources they are ranked #14!   ;)

They beat the Jr. Flyers yesterday in a game that was close for 2 periods and then finished 9-4.  Flyers down one strong player and the 03 goalie in net.

goonhockey

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +21/-24
« Reply #198 on: October 10, 2016, 08:20:24 AM »
defense wins championships - and by my estimation, they have surrendered 6 goals in 2 CAHA games against mid to weak opponents while others are posting shutouts.

just saying...

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #199 on: October 10, 2016, 08:25:27 AM »
With the new schedule and less games than teams, the Bears don't even play OC1 or Ducks 1 in the regular season. Although a few months back both teams beat the Bears Memorial Day. For me the Bears have more to prove this early since they didn't play the IHE tournament with the rest of the top teams. They are good but small

You do know that the Bears spring team wasn't as loaded as there team now right? Also you are not correct they play The Ducks and OC as part of their 12 games.

I don't see on the CAHA schedule where they play these teams but it looks like 10 games are scheduled and maybe the 2 remaining are them.  I also get that Spring teams change.  Both OC and Ducks teams changed a couple of players as well.  All I am saying is they haven't played any of the top teams yet and blowing out low end AA to A teams is not a good measure.  The Bears AA last year was not very strong in the AA division and while I get adding the 03's from their AAA program will help I don't see it that much.  Look at the AAA Gulls at IHE playing AA Labor Day.

It's on the SCAHA schedule.

Teahupoo

« Reply #200 on: October 10, 2016, 08:28:30 AM »
we will find out if the bears are the real deal on Nov 6th when they play OC1. History has shown they do not like to get hit. and I do not want to hear any excuses about having two games on that day.

Panther Coach

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +41/-21
« Reply #201 on: October 10, 2016, 08:34:26 AM »

Got it.  Thanks.  I don't know why they can't get the 2 to match and it would be nice to see the NorCal games on the CAHA website not just weekends

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #202 on: October 10, 2016, 08:38:55 AM »

Got it.  Thanks.  I don't know why they can't get the 2 to match and it would be nice to see the NorCal games on the CAHA website not just weekends

Totally, things are so messed up this year. Wave drop a bit in the rankings getting killed 5-0 by Ducks 1

area51

• Midget
  • LR Justice +82/-61
« Reply #203 on: October 10, 2016, 09:24:09 AM »
Last year Bantam AA played 12 games on the SCAHA schedule, this year it's 14 games (12 reg/2 pre) CAHA weekends are similiar to doing a tournament, you still have to pay to play in them. Pick up a couple more tournaments and the cost will end up being the same.
My son's Peewee AA team will be pushing 70 games counting playdowns, and we're taking XMas break off.

rosetta

• Mite
  • LR Justice +5/-5
« Reply #204 on: October 10, 2016, 09:35:09 AM »
Last year Bantam AA played 12 games on the SCAHA schedule, this year it's 14 games (12 reg/2 pre) CAHA weekends are similiar to doing a tournament, you still have to pay to play in them. Pick up a couple more tournaments and the cost will end up being the same.
My son's Peewee AA team will be pushing 70 games counting playdowns, and we're taking XMas break off.

In Bantam AA, there will be about 20 league games including pre-season (CAHA and SCAHA). Add 5 games in playdown if you go all the way. Where are you guy getting the other 45 games? That's about 10 tournaments.

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #205 on: October 10, 2016, 09:57:41 AM »
Totally, things are so messed up this year. Wave drop a bit in the rankings getting killed 5-0 by Ducks 1
While I wouldn't coin the phrase "killed 5-0", I must admit that the Wave did look out of their element against a bigger, stronger, and more seasoned team. (disclaimer: I am a Wave parent)  The Ducks played more physical and the Wave paid for it, although the Ducks spent more time in the box.  One silver lining was how the Ducks defense got exposed on several occasions that led to 2-on-1 and 1-on-0 situations.  If not for the exceptional play of their goalie it may not have ended in a shut out.  The Ducks did put tremendous pressure in the offensive zone which lead to those scoring chances but the Wave were unable to capitalize.  Maybe against a bigger team the Ducks will play a bit more conservative on D, and maybe the Wave will improve on putting the puck in the net when the opportunity presents itself.  The Ducks won a game they should have, but saying the Wave got killed is a bit of an overstatement, IMO.  Hopefully they will see each other again as the learning experience benefits the Wave more than the Ducks.

Yes killed is way too strong good point. 5-0 is dominated though.

area51

• Midget
  • LR Justice +82/-61
« Reply #206 on: October 10, 2016, 10:05:00 AM »

In Bantam AA, there will be about 20 league games including pre-season (CAHA and SCAHA). Add 5 games in playdown if you go all the way. Where are you guy getting the other 45 games? That's about 10 tournaments.
CAHA/SCAHA 18 games, five tournaments 25 games minimum, scrimmage games 20 (already have 10), playdowns 4 games = 67 games.

Teahupoo

« Reply #207 on: October 10, 2016, 10:19:31 AM »
While I wouldn't coin the phrase "killed 5-0", I must admit that the Wave did look out of their element against a bigger, stronger, and more seasoned team. (disclaimer: I am a Wave parent)  The Ducks played more physical and the Wave paid for it, although the Ducks spent more time in the box.  One silver lining was how the Ducks defense got exposed on several occasions that led to 2-on-1 and 1-on-0 situations.  If not for the exceptional play of their goalie it may not have ended in a shut out.  The Ducks did put tremendous pressure in the offensive zone which lead to those scoring chances but the Wave were unable to capitalize.  Maybe against a bigger team the Ducks will play a bit more conservative on D, and maybe the Wave will improve on putting the puck in the net when the opportunity presents itself.  The Ducks won a game they should have, but saying the Wave got killed is a bit of an overstatement, IMO.  Hopefully they will see each other again as the learning experience benefits the Wave more than the Ducks.

it's your story, spin it whatever way you want to. What I saw was an ass kicking. when you can't score on a 5 on 3 power play and then get scored on in the same 2 man advantage, that's an ass kicking. the wave had no answer for the Ducks size and speed, although they are not a highly skilled team, they have 4 big solid lines that come in waves( excuse the pun) at you and will be tough for even the top teams to deal with, just ask OC1. they have lost to them 3 times this year already. the breakways were a self inflicted wound. it was the same knuckle head d-man who got all the penalty and was one of the ones that kept jumping up and giving the breakaways. that can be corrected by benching him, since they have 6 competent d-men.
btw, you are correct, the goalie is awesome and last I checked a goalie is part of the team and having a good goalie does cover up your flaws, just ask the LA Kings.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 10:23:10 AM by Teahupoo »

Handboni

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +9/-15
« Reply #208 on: October 10, 2016, 10:45:35 AM »
well, first "weekend" is officially in the books.  anyone care to provide some updated rankings?  looks like our SD friends took a few on the chin and looks like the 02 sharks are the real deal...

You do know SJ1 was the Bantam Minor AAA team from last year minus 2 that went to St. Louis Jr Blues and 1 to SJ U16 AAA?

SJ goalie also left.

Crash

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +24/-169
« Reply #209 on: October 10, 2016, 11:23:12 AM »
Well, you can't have your rhetorical sandwich both ways. If the Ducks are THAT good, then why didn't they win by more?

SOG give a lot of context. I'm not a complete analytics nut, and we shouldn't be at this level, but to fairly weigh two teams against each other accurately you need to consider a lot of factors and watch the game.

We played a game this year, maybe a scrimmage, where the other team had ZERO shots. Maybe 1. That's KILLING. Also it's a season, not a short tournament. Teams play each other the first time, the next time, there are adjustments on both sides.

Hockey is interesting because there are a lot of variables. Reaching into the hyperbole basket this early in the year just makes you look like a rookie, which is fine too, just don't expect to be taken seriously.