This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Bantam AA 16/17  (Read 159933 times)

1hockeydad

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-3
Re: Bantam AA 16/17
« Reply #210 on: October 10, 2016, 12:10:11 PM »
well, first "weekend" is officially in the books.  anyone care to provide some updated rankings?  looks like our SD friends took a few on the chin and looks like the 02 sharks are the real deal...

You do know SJ1 was the Bantam Minor AAA team from last year minus 2 that went to St. Louis Jr Blues and 1 to SJ U16 AAA?

SJ goalie also left.

Yes, correct.  On JD 02 AAA.   Crazy. It is a shame for JS that the AA1 team couldn't stay Tier 1.  Good group of players.

Tripod

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-1
« Reply #211 on: October 10, 2016, 03:33:19 PM »
well, first "weekend" is officially in the books.  anyone care to provide some updated rankings?  looks like our SD friends took a few on the chin and looks like the 02 sharks are the real deal...

You do know SJ1 was the Bantam Minor AAA team from last year minus 2 that went to St. Louis Jr Blues and 1 to SJ U16 AAA?

SJ goalie also left.

Yes, correct.  On JD 02 AAA.   Crazy. It is a shame for JS that the AA1 team couldn't stay Tier 1.  Good group of players.

I would even argue they are the hardest working Bantam team.  They just are not quite as big as the other teams.  There are AAA teams and then there are AAA teams willing to fly around everywhere to play in "showcase" tournaments.  In last years bantam minor playoffs, I believe they finished 3rd, ahead of the wave and kings.  In bantam major this year, I think they could have been competitive with the Gulls, 02 and 03 Kings.  But you have those players who are looking at a bigger arena than just California. 

KickSave

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +23/-26
« Reply #212 on: October 12, 2016, 09:48:45 AM »
So why the drop to AA?

Tripod

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-1
« Reply #213 on: October 12, 2016, 11:02:54 AM »
I would assume that the parents/players would prefer to be at the top of AA than in the middle of AAA.

I would say the same for AA teams from GSE, Ducks.

I don't think the travel is all that different between AA and AAA (for the in state games, anyways).  Last year, we travelled to San Jose and got all our league games against the Sharks over a single weekend.  The difference is when you have a collection of parents/players who want to travel all over the continental US and the 10 provinces to attend "showcase" tournaments where no CA AAA team can really crack the top 20. 

Teahupoo

« Reply #214 on: October 12, 2016, 11:14:18 AM »
they call themselves the Sharks 14AA national, so I am assuming that they dropped to compete in the AA nationals.

PutYourFootOnTheGas

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +6/-18
« Reply #215 on: October 12, 2016, 12:41:23 PM »
SJ AA National team is good but the lopsided scores at first CAHA weekend have more to do with how BAD the Saints, Oilers, Gulls and Kings are. The GSE team and Santa Clara teams were also blowing them out. Let's see how they do against Ducks, OC and Bears.

1hockeydad

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-3
« Reply #216 on: October 12, 2016, 01:23:30 PM »
SJ AA National team is good but the lopsided scores at first CAHA weekend have more to do with how BAD the Saints, Oilers, Gulls and Kings are. The GSE team and Santa Clara teams were also blowing them out. Let's see how they do against Ducks, OC and Bears.
[/quote
Don't know if all those teams are "bad"  as much as SJ1 and GSE2 are almost all 02 birth year teams.  Same for JD1.  Teams with mostly 03 will tend to struggle against bigger, faster kids that can be close to 2 years older.

dustydad

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-0
« Reply #217 on: October 14, 2016, 12:33:22 PM »

Take a look at the current CAHA standings after only 3 games. The top 5-6 teams are dominating, it's not just the SJ AA national team. But you're right, it'll be interesting to see SJ1 and GSE1 play the Ducks1 and Bears.

I wouldn't call those lower teams BAD. The challenge is that they're not A teams (just like the Artesia Wave move-down) so playing AA is appropriate, but they don't have enough players with size and skill so they will struggle against the bigger and better teams. It's the same issue with the top AA teams - they're good and could probably play AAA, but they're still not refined enough relative to the stronger AAA teams so AA is appropriate for them. Though if the SJ national team continues to have double digit shutouts, then I'll change my mind and say they should have moved up!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 12:36:10 PM by dustydad »

Handboni

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +9/-15
« Reply #218 on: October 14, 2016, 06:22:09 PM »

Take a look at the current CAHA standings after only 3 games. The top 5-6 teams are dominating, it's not just the SJ AA national team. But you're right, it'll be interesting to see SJ1 and GSE1 play the Ducks1 and Bears.

I wouldn't call those lower teams BAD. The challenge is that they're not A teams (just like the Artesia Wave move-down) so playing AA is appropriate, but they don't have enough players with size and skill so they will struggle against the bigger and better teams. It's the same issue with the top AA teams - they're good and could probably play AAA, but they're still not refined enough relative to the stronger AAA teams so AA is appropriate for them. Though if the SJ national team continues to have double digit shutouts, then I'll change my mind and say they should have moved up!

There was a previous discussion on the Midget board about how the 02 AAA JD dominated one of the top Midget AA teams. Based on that, I doubt any of the AA Bantam teams could be competitive in AAA.  The SJ National team lost some of their best players, so would be challenging for them also.

1hockeydad

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-3
« Reply #219 on: October 14, 2016, 11:18:58 PM »

There was a previous discussion on the Midget board about how the 02 AAA JD dominated one of the top Midget AA teams. Based on that, I doubt any of the AA Bantam teams could be competitive in AAA.  The SJ National team lost some of their best players, so would be challenging for them also.

I have seen good  AAA teams.  From what I have observed, JS1 and GSE2 could hang in at AAA level.  So could JD1.  Bears are on the cusp.

Handboni

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +9/-15
« Reply #220 on: October 15, 2016, 06:59:45 AM »

[quote author=1hockeydad link=topic=3209.msg38542#msg38542 date=1476512338

I have seen good  AAA teams.  From what I have observed, JS1 and GSE2 could hang in at AAA level.  So could JD1.  Bears are on the cusp.
[/quote]

Bears played 2015 Carmen Star in the AAA division and were not competitive.

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #221 on: October 16, 2016, 05:35:03 PM »
Any scores from today?

Crash

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +24/-169
« Reply #222 on: October 16, 2016, 07:48:15 PM »
Bears AA 12
Kings AA 0

Someone posted for another age group that there was a big power outage in San Diego, many games cancelled. Don't know if it was rink or area, but a huge drag for all concerned.

1hockeydad

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-3
« Reply #223 on: October 18, 2016, 12:26:37 AM »
Bears AA 12
Kings AA 0

Someone posted for another age group that there was a big power outage in San Diego, many games cancelled. Don't know if it was rink or area, but a huge drag for all concerned.

Not much, but Bears v Kings was 11 -0.

Xfactor_56

« Reply #224 on: October 18, 2016, 08:54:24 AM »
Bears AA 12
Kings AA 0

Not much, but Bears v Kings was 11 -0.

Thanks for clarifying  ;D