This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Pee Wee A 2016-17  (Read 337424 times)

• Midget
  • LR Justice +36/-53
  • So how about it boys? Look like hockey to you?
Re: Pee Wee A 2016-17
« Reply #135 on: September 21, 2016, 03:43:03 PM »
Skates, its not really fair or accurate to belittle the Wave or their competition as lower tier.  Wave tied OCHC 1 and beat OCHC 3 in a close game.  These may not be top teams in your view, but they  certainly cannot be characterized as lower end teams.  Right now,  I would say there is only team that is clearly ahead of the pack, and that is Runtso Ducks, based on their 7-0 record to date.  Even then, I don't think there is a lot of separation with many of the other teams.   Btw, you clearly have an opinion as to the top teams, so let's hear it.

Rats13

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-2
« Reply #136 on: September 21, 2016, 03:46:45 PM »
I don't think Wave 1 will make a playoff spot unless they get the luck of the draw of playing the lower teams as every one calls it. I think they will be middle of the pack. Have not seen them play against any of the top peewe A teams. I think their size will affect them. Just my guess from looking at who they have played so far.

I believe they are all '06s... and thus far, they've been doing quite well. They're fast and skilled, which is tough to beat at this level, regardless of size.  Teams dropping from AA will affect things, of course, but I'd be surprised if they didn't make the playoffs or come very close.

If you want to look at a problem '06 team, look at Kings 2, the all '06 PWA team. All the elite talent went to the AA team, which is '05/'06.  What was left has no business in PWA, let alone PWBB or PWB.  Several kids on the team played SQB last year... and not that well.  If they stay at PWA, they will be lucky to win one game, let alone score more than 20 goals on the season.

Jr Kings only have one SQA team and I think it is all 07.

It will be interesting to see if SCAHA sticks to the rule of not letting kids playing up into squirts next season.

area51

• Midget
  • LR Justice +82/-61
« Reply #137 on: September 21, 2016, 03:52:02 PM »
I don't think Wave 1 will make a playoff spot unless they get the luck of the draw of playing the lower teams as every one calls it. I think they will be middle of the pack. Have not seen them play against any of the top peewe A teams. I think their size will affect them. Just my guess from looking at who they have played so far.

I believe they are all '06s... and thus far, they've been doing quite well. They're fast and skilled, which is tough to beat at this level, regardless of size.  Teams dropping from AA will affect things, of course, but I'd be surprised if they didn't make the playoffs or come very close.

If you want to look at a problem '06 team, look at Kings 2, the all '06 PWA team. All the elite talent went to the AA team, which is '05/'06.  What was left has no business in PWA, let alone PWBB or PWB.  Several kids on the team played SQB last year... and not that well.  If they stay at PWA, they will be lucky to win one game, let alone score more than 20 goals on the season.

It will be interesting to see if SCAHA sticks to the rule of not letting kids playing up into squirts next season.
Are the Kings the new Wildcats?

Just Saying

« Reply #138 on: September 21, 2016, 03:55:55 PM »
Exactly why you can't say yet whether or not the wave 1 team will make playoffs.  They played the Kings 2 team and won only 6 to 0. What top pw A team has the wave 1 team played so far and won, where you can say they would make playoffs? They have only played the lower end teams so that puts them in the middle of the pack so far.  Now don't get me wrong they could grow ad become faster with the more practice but I am just guessing now what it looks like.

I could be wrong, but I just don't think there are that many great PWA teams.  Wave 1 went 2-1-1 over Labor Day, beat PML 8-0 in friendly, and 2-1 in preseason, crushing their elder team 11-1. As for the Kings 2 game, it was a massacre.  Only 6-0 in score, but out shot them like 32-6 and it became a passing practice for the Wave.  Complete different leagues.  They have a good coach, all good players, and with development, they could make their way into the top 8 by the end of the season. 

Just Saying

« Reply #139 on: September 21, 2016, 03:58:37 PM »

The '06 PWA Kings should be a SQA team.

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #140 on: September 21, 2016, 04:13:58 PM »

ALL  good 06 teams should be SQ A

station26

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +133/-92
« Reply #141 on: September 21, 2016, 04:22:44 PM »
I don't think 06s playing Peewee A is the problem. Which teams are majority 06s besides Wave 1 and Kings 2? Wave 1 will be a playoff team. No idea how the Kings will do. I suspect not as well because they have a handful of 06s playing AA. But, they did tie a Heat team that I presume is filled with 04s & 05s.

It seems the real problem with the division are the teams with 04/05 players who shouldn't be playing at this level. And it seems there is the same problem in AA.

I'm trying to make sure I didn't misunderstand what was written here. So 06's (who are obviously playing up into the PW division as they are clearly SQUIRTS) are NOT the problem as much as 04s and 05s who are rightfully in the their age appropriate division might be the problem? My god what?

station26

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +133/-92
« Reply #142 on: September 21, 2016, 04:23:27 PM »
There's really two problems that have lead to this.

1. They just added Peewee BB, and as a new division clubs aren't yet comfortable with what it means, and whether or not they should play in that division. 

Obviously at each Tier there are impediments for the clubs and parents involved, making those fundamental decisions.  At the "travel" tier (Anything A or under)  there are always going to be teams that could move one way or another, but for clubs that are only able to field one team, or possibly one team and a second "new to the sport" team, there is inevitably a need to find the balance between serving the best players on the roster via more challenging competition, or the less skilled players, who will be overmatched.   When people complain about teams, they are almost always complaining about teams where there are substantial extremes from the median sklll level of the team.  Occasionally and historically there have been clubs that seem to regularly field teams that are entirely in the wrong division (not talking about the Riptide A team from last season!!!!)  but that's a whole different issue, and not the norm.

2.  Peewee is the end of the line for the "Play up" era, that started with the implementation of Mite ADM cross ice.

What has happened since that time, is that it has become the norm for individual kids as well as entire teams to play up a division.  This starts with disgruntled Mite families who have kids that have essentially outgrown cross ice, and then continues year after year.  For some reason, once on this habitrail wheel,  people are convinced that their kids are not going to make the NHL unless they are playing at the next available age group, whether or not that is appropriate or even logical.  Again this year we see numerous '06's playing Peewee A when they could have played Squirt A, and believing that this will make their kids better hockey players in the long run, even though there is absolutely no data to support this that doesn't involve anecdotal Wayne Gretzky or Sidney Crosby stories.  These generational players who are complete outliers, seem to drive decision making, while the story of Auston Matthews who learned the game playing 3v3 on small rinks is ignored.  Meanwhile, all those Canadian and "traditional US hockey market" NHL players all grew up playing against kids in their own age group.

Scaha, which at one time had clear rules forbidding this practice, has essentially rubber stamped it the last few years.  It's bad enough that so many kids are unnecessarily playing up a division against kids 2-3 years older, but when you consider the thought process behind this idea, it becomes clear that the practice doesn't have the same cache when bragging to others about how your kid is so advanced they HAVE to play in a higher age group, if you don't have at least one A to tack onto their league.   I know that many parents just follow the team and the coach along on this journey, but that doesn't make it any more reasonable.

So here we arrive at a Scaha Peewee A division with 24 teams as we speak, 16 games, and eight playoff spots to be won.  Teams will play completely unfair schedules and find their season is essentially over by christmas.  Other lesser teams will make it into the playoffs purely due to the luck of the draw.  The top 4-6 teams may never play each other unless they meet up in tournament play. 

Teams at the bottom of the A division who will be beaten by 98% of the division, and absolutely crushed by the top 70%, would be far better off in BB, but that would mean losing that all important 'A'.    I'm sure in a few seasons things will level out, but apparently this season, the Peewee A division is going to be the crucible where all the issues of the last 5 years are made manifest.

Yep goona have to agree with this one..

station26

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +133/-92
« Reply #143 on: September 21, 2016, 04:24:51 PM »
I don't think 06s playing Peewee A is the problem. Which teams are majority 06s besides Wave 1 and Kings 2? Wave 1 will be a playoff team. No idea how the Kings will do. I suspect not as well because they have a handful of 06s playing AA. But, they did tie a Heat team that I presume is filled with 04s & 05s.

It seems the real problem with the division are the teams with 04/05 players who shouldn't be playing at this level. And it seems there is the same problem in AA.
06's should be playing Squirt A, but Squirt A should only be the elite teams. Since that's not the case, kids play up a division.
I've seen some nasty collisions this season between 04's and 06's and we're only 8 games. And the 06 parents are screaming and yelling for a penalty. This is another problem with kids playing up. 04's will be moving to Bantam next season. Peewee AA and even Peewee A should be allowing a lot more body contact, but Ref's will almost always call a game to protect the little kids. These are Peewee games that should be played with 04's & 05's, and an occasional 06, but not at the level we see today. This is an important season for 04's to get ready for checking next season.

Regarding the little 06s getting knocked over by 04s  YEP!

station26

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +133/-92
« Reply #144 on: September 21, 2016, 04:34:16 PM »
Skates, its not really fair or accurate to belittle the Wave or their competition as lower tier.  Wave tied OCHC 1 and beat OCHC 3 in a close game.  These may not be top teams in your view, but they  certainly cannot be characterized as lower end teams.  Right now,  I would say there is only team that is clearly ahead of the pack, and that is Runtso Ducks, based on their 7-0 record to date.  Even then, I don't think there is a lot of separation with many of the other teams.   Btw, you clearly have an opinion as to the top teams, so let's hear it.

I watched that Wave team.. I think they will be fine.,.  and Yes Runtso is probably Tops in class for now

• Midget
  • LR Justice +36/-53
« Reply #145 on: September 21, 2016, 04:39:38 PM »
The Kings are not the new Wildcats.  The Wildcats are the new Wildcats.  They have multiple teams getting slaughtered. 

skates

« Reply #146 on: September 21, 2016, 04:55:19 PM »

I was not belittling the wave 1, I was just stating my opinion. At this point I don't think that OC 1 and 3 are top A teams either.  OC 3 has lost twice to runsto ducks now by a wide margin (not even close)(but they could get better) and OC 1 is doing just okay.

We have a long season to go and I do hope the teams get better, it makes it a fun season. All I am saying is that some predictions may be too soon to make.

My top team 3 predictions so far is, 1. Runsto, 2. Bears, and 3. 0C 2

I see Wave 1 at this time around 10th place but that could change if I ever get to see a score from a game where they have played a team in the top 6.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 06:12:16 PM by skates »

Hockey05

• Midget
  • LR Justice +59/-33
« Reply #147 on: September 21, 2016, 09:46:40 PM »

Yea, but if they don't field that team they can't field their AA team.  Or their AAA '05 team that didn't make the AA playoffs last year.

• Midget
  • LR Justice +36/-53
« Reply #148 on: September 21, 2016, 11:01:38 PM »
Off topic, but NA vs Sweden OT was amazing.

Handboni

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +9/-15
« Reply #149 on: September 21, 2016, 11:15:46 PM »
NA is my favorite team to watch. Probably on the outside looking in, but I hope they make the semis.