This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Pee Wee A 2016-17  (Read 336760 times)

• Midget
  • LR Justice +36/-53
  • So how about it boys? Look like hockey to you?
Re: Pee Wee A 2016-17
« Reply #165 on: September 23, 2016, 06:02:38 AM »
So let me get this straight.  The reason Pee Wee A is full of weak teams is that undeserving and tiny 06s are robbing legit Pee Wee A caliber 04s and 05s of their roster spots.  What a load of crap.  With around 35 teams at Pee Wee A and AA, it is hard to think that there is a player with legit A level skills who couldn't find a team. If a kid can't earn one of the 500 or so roster spots available at these levels, lets just fess up and admit that the issue is probably with the skater and not the better player chosen over him.  There are too many bad 04s and 05s in Pee Wee A, and you say it is the parents of the kids playing up who are doing so out of vanity and their own worst instincts?  Given the diluted level of play, any one concerned with the level of play should welcome any kid or team that raises the median level of play.  Put the 06s back in Squirt A, and the level of play falls even more.  Replace them with supposedly deserving but less skilled 04s and 05s and the level of play becomes an even bigger joke.   

BigDuke6

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +21/-14
« Reply #166 on: September 23, 2016, 06:22:26 AM »
I am very happy that my kid is a bantam and the "playing up" issue is behind us.  I was never a fan of it, never saw the point.  To each their own, and if the rules and clubs are willing to allow it I never objected to it.  I also never understood it. 

I always figured at Squirt there are 3 levels of play available A, BB, and B.  That seemed sufficient for 9 and 10 year olds to find an appropriate level of hockey.  I think it is a combination of issues.  Parents, coaches, clubs, and leagues allowing teams to play at inappropriate levels.  I have seen first hand that the star squirt players are not the same players once they get to bantam, the kids change so much between squirt and bantam and they all change, physically and mentally, and different paces.

skates

« Reply #167 on: September 23, 2016, 06:55:23 AM »
Okay 6607 I disagree.  Most 04's and 05's felt like they had to go play AA just to get away from the young 06's playing up to A in order to have a more competitive season. And 06's playing up, must have crazy parents. I don't think the 06's playing up to PW A will be dominating at all. Eugene has all the dominate 06 players along with the Kings 06. That's why they are playing AA too. The rest of the 06's are probably in hopes of catching up to those teams. Same thing for the 05 ducks. You will always have a small group of talented kids in each age group but then everyone else thinks they should be on those teams too. For the 04's and 05's that didn't move up to AA, does not mean they are not skilled. Just means their parents didn't drink the koolaid.  My son will be playing squirt A this season and wlll be a lead player for his team. And no we didn't try out for pw A or one of those superstar teams (let me make that clear before someone try's to jump all over that). I just didn't drink the koolaid. I have done my research. Best for my kid to play with his age group. He will show and build much more confidence on the ice.

Also did I mention that I have 2nd year bantam player too? So I have been through all this peewee stuff already but the playing up just keeps getting worse.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 07:32:49 AM by skates »

skates

« Reply #168 on: September 23, 2016, 07:31:53 AM »
Yeah but the 06's playing AA are the few talented kids in each age group that I mentioned so at least it will be competitive.

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #169 on: September 23, 2016, 08:04:17 AM »
I am very happy that my kid is a bantam and the "playing up" issue is behind us.  I was never a fan of it, never saw the point.  To each their own, and if the rules and clubs are willing to allow it I never objected to it.  I also never understood it. 

I always figured at Squirt there are 3 levels of play available A, BB, and B.  That seemed sufficient for 9 and 10 year olds to find an appropriate level of hockey.  I think it is a combination of issues.  Parents, coaches, clubs, and leagues allowing teams to play at inappropriate levels.  I have seen first hand that the star squirt players are not the same players once they get to bantam, the kids change so much between squirt and bantam and they all change, physically and mentally, and different paces.

Nailed it.

It so doesn't matter at squirt.  The cards are going to get reshuffled every year for as long as they play.  Half of squirts won't even be putting on skates when they become bantam age for a series of reasons.  I have seen many stand out SQ and PWs fade to the back of the pack by Bantam and Midget.  We have all seen the in-house player or roller player become a standout bantam too.  There are a few that continue to excel and every parent thinks their boy is that player.  Having an 02 gives one a lot of perspective.  In the northern climates, kids develop playing all different ages outdoors.  I don't think anyone would argue that the 15 year old playing with a group of neighborhood kids 12-14 is not developing.  In fact non-organized hockey is GREAT for development.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 08:19:45 AM by Puck Yeah »

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
« Reply #170 on: September 23, 2016, 08:29:25 AM »
Yeah but the 06's playing AA are the few talented kids in each age group that I mentioned so at least it will be competitive.

This is where the argument falls apart. The 2 peewee A teams with majority 06s ARE competitive at this level. The Wave much more than the Kings.

If the 2 majority 06 peewee A teams were getting their asses kicked (like a bunch of 04/05 teams are) then they should drop down. But that's not what is happening.

The only "Majority" 06 team doing well is the Wave 1. Kings 06 .. Not so much and should consider dropping.

skates

« Reply #171 on: September 23, 2016, 08:59:18 AM »
How can you say the wave 1 team is even doing well? They have only played for pre season the other wave team that should not be in A and the Kings team that should not be in A. And they tied the Eagles I think. And that team is questionable. And they are not a true all 06 team. They had to add some 04's and 05's to help them out. I believe their goalie is even an 05.  So call it what it is. Wave 1.

• Midget
  • LR Justice +36/-53
« Reply #172 on: September 23, 2016, 09:16:06 AM »
Skates, I am happy that you made a well thought out decision to have your son play squirt A.  I would never state that he was undeserving of playing that level or higher, nor that you were crazy for making the decision to do so.  So when you state that parents of 06s playing Pee Wee A are crazy, and imply, that the kids are underserving, you just sound petty and, yes, jealous.  And the notion that there are 06s who should play at PW AA, and at Squirt A, but not at PW A, is just illogical.   Why not just be comfortable with your decision to play Squirt A?

I am sure there are parents chasing letters at A and AA; there are also parents chasing easy wins and easy goals at Squirt A.  But there are also a lot of parents, hopefully most of us, that made well thought out decisions about our player's skill, size, desire, maturity etc., and tried him out for the team and level that we thought he would best fit.   Some of us may even have consulted multiple coaches and tried various levels in the spring to see what was the best fit. 

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
« Reply #173 on: September 23, 2016, 09:20:56 AM »
How can you say the wave 1 team is even doing well? They have only played for pre season the other wave team that should not be in A and the Kings team that should not be in A. And they tied the Eagles I think. And that team is questionable. And they are not a true all 06 team. They had to add some 04's and 05's to help them out. I believe their goalie is even an 05.  So call it what it is. Wave 1.

So this goes back to my question i've asked a few times... Why do people keep calling them an 06 team?

I also said "well", not "Great"... you can only play who they put in front of you. If they had lost any of those games, that would be a different discussion; but they won.

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #174 on: September 23, 2016, 09:22:19 AM »
My 2 cents as my son is out of pee wee now and is a Bantam. I don't see a point in having an 06 play up unless he is just leading the league in  Squirt A. If it's a whole squirt A team moving up did they win it all last year?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 09:37:42 AM by Pistonkev »

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
« Reply #175 on: September 23, 2016, 09:25:22 AM »
My 2 cents a my son is out of pee wee now and is a Bantam. I don't see a point in having an 06 play up unless he is just leading the league in  Squirt A. If it's a hole squirt A team moving up did they win it all last year?

Great point and from my observations, to answer your question, I would have to say no! This isn't the case. Of course not including Ducks 06.

Hockey05

• Midget
  • LR Justice +59/-33
« Reply #176 on: September 23, 2016, 09:26:08 AM »

"MOST" 04s and 05s jumped to AA to avoid playing against 06s?

Now, that's just beyond stupid. 04s and 05s are probably playing AA because that's where they see their talent level and their team's. They probably feel AA is the best division for their child's development, skill and overall ability. If their main reason was to avoid playing against 06s - it sure backfired. 2 of the 8 AA teams have 06s. They'll actually be playing against 06s more often than had they played A where only 2 of the 24 teams are majority 06s!

I think we've played this topic out.  There are a lot of things that go into where your kid plays.  Besides friends and families, parents often follow a coach.  Sure some parents will drive anywhere but for many the options where to skate their kid really don't go beyond two at the most.  So if a parent can follow a coach, he may choose to have a kid play up.  Parents send their kids where they think their kid is going to grow, have fun and be a good fit.  If they are chasing anything, it is often an extra letter which is often dictated by a club.  Nobody is running from a '06 team, but I have seen more than a few parents of older kids not be happy when their son's team loses to a team two years younger. 

I actually believe the number of kids playing up are lower than last year.  I don't believe there are anywhere near the number of 06 kids at tier 2. 

[size=78%]That Ducks 05 team did very well at AA last year playing up and I believe nearly made the finals.  [/size]
[size=78%]And for all the posts of only 8 teams in squirt.  I remember when mite was full ice and their were only 3 A teams and 20 B teams.  Those 3 A teams would have killed the other teams.  [/size]

• Midget
  • LR Justice +36/-53
« Reply #177 on: September 23, 2016, 09:36:23 AM »
We keep hearing at our rink that there are teams dropping to BB.  Wave 2 is often mentioned.  Any parents want to confirm or deny?

skates

« Reply #178 on: September 23, 2016, 09:56:33 AM »

"MOST" 04s and 05s jumped to AA to avoid playing against 06s?

Now, that's just beyond stupid. 04s and 05s are probably playing AA because that's where they see their talent level and their team's. They probably feel AA is the best division for their child's development, skill and overall ability. If their main reason was to avoid playing against 06s - it sure backfired. 2 of the 8 AA teams have 06s. They'll actually be playing against 06s more often than had they played A where only 2 of the 24 teams are majority 06s!

My point was that because younger kids crazy parents want their kids to play up so it forces more kids to play AA because the whole system gets watered down by these crazy parents that think their 06 will be the next superstar.  You kid is 10. Why have age groups if everyone plays wherever they want?

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #179 on: September 23, 2016, 09:59:33 AM »
This all started by letting Mites play up. That was the beginning of the problem. Last year 7 teams at least had  no business playing pee wee A. Last years AA was much stronger then this years too.