This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Pee Wee A 2016-17  (Read 336711 times)

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
Re: Pee Wee A 2016-17
« Reply #270 on: October 07, 2016, 01:49:26 PM »
Adjusted Standings.  Not a power ranking. 

1.     Ducks 2 (9-0.)   Beat Eagles 8-4.  Next up: JK1
2.     Bears (7-0-2.)  Beat JK1 7-3.  Next  up:  Condors
3.     OC 1 (6-1-1).  Beat  Sts. 9-2.  Next up:  Maple Leafs
3.     OC 2 (6-1-1).   Beat JK2  8-0.  Next up: Mariners
5.     Wave 1 (5-2-2).  Lost 3-0 to Ducks 1.  Next up: Saints
6.     Ducks 1 (6-3.) Beat Wave 1, 3-0 and lost 3-0 to Heat.  Next up: OC3
6.     OC 3 (6-3.) Beat Lady Ducks 6-2.   Next up: Ducks
6.     Wave 3 (6-3.)  Beat Blaze 5-3.  Next up: Lady Ducks
9.     Heat  (4-2-2 .) Beat Ducks 1, 3-0.  Next up: WC2
10.   Maple Leafs (4-4.)  Beat Wave 2, 10-1.  Next up: OC1
11.   Ontario Eagles (3-4-1).  Lost to Ducks 2, 8-4.  Next up: JK2
12.   Saints (3-5.)  Lost to OC1, 9-2.  Next up:  Wave 1
12.   Condors  (3-5.)  Beat WC1 13-1.  Next up:  Bears
13.   Kings 1 (2-5-1.)  Lost to Bears 7-3.   Next up: Eagles
14.   Blaze (2-6.)  Lost to Wave 3, 5-3.  Next up:  WC1
15.   Wave 2 (1-7.)  Lost to PML 10-1. Next up:  Bye
16.   Mariners (1-7).  Beat WC2, 6-4.  Next up: OC2. 
17.   Kings 2 (0-6-2.)  Lost to OC2, 8-0. Next up: Eagles
18.   Wildcats 1 (0-4.)  Lost to Condors 13-1.  Next up: Blaze.
19.   Wildcats 2 (0-4.) Lost to Mariners 8 6-4.  Next up:  Heat.

Wildcats 1 and 2 and Mariners are dropping out of PWA.  J Gulls and Wildcats are dropping into PW A.

I am really looking forward to seeing the outcome of OC1 vs Leafs. I think they are better than their record from watching them play.

hockeymom48

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-3
« Reply #271 on: October 07, 2016, 03:33:25 PM »
Schedule is out. So much for scaha stepping in and forcing teams to drop.

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
« Reply #272 on: October 07, 2016, 08:35:22 PM »
Schedule is out. So much for scaha stepping in and forcing teams to drop.

I heard a ton of teams moved this year.. most in a long time. It's a start. I for one don't want them making the calls but the coaches and clubs making the right call on placement! At this point in the game, parents can look and see what's going on.

nirradus

• Mite
  • LR Justice +9/-7
« Reply #273 on: October 10, 2016, 02:06:46 PM »

I'm curious about these rankings--do you think there will be much parity in the division this year or does it look like there might be a few dominant top teams that are going to win week in and week out. I'm concerned about the competition level throughout the season.

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
« Reply #274 on: October 10, 2016, 02:19:52 PM »

I'm curious about these rankings--do you think there will be much parity in the division this year or does it look like there might be a few dominant top teams that are going to win week in and week out. I'm concerned about the competition level throughout the season.

There will be 2-4 dominate teams and the other 4-6 playoff spots will be fought out between 8-10 teams.  That is how it has been in the non-checking play up era...

nirradus

• Mite
  • LR Justice +9/-7
« Reply #275 on: October 10, 2016, 03:17:26 PM »
Skating Dad:
Curious, will the 8-10 teams fighting for the other playoff spots be good enough to challenge those top 2-4 teams or will there be lack of parity?

What if a family were to find themselves on one of those top teams (and they thought, were told, the team would be middling, which it's not) and were concerned about possibly a lack of challenge for their kid. Would it be wrong to try and move the kid up to PWAA? Not a big fan of this, not married to the letters, not ego driven family--but we want our kid to be challenged and at this point are concerned he might be somewhat bored throughout the season. Thoughts???

Hockey05

• Midget
  • LR Justice +59/-33
« Reply #276 on: October 10, 2016, 04:14:26 PM »
Unless you will be released, I don't really see how you can do it.  Or, you could pay the $$$ and walk, but you'd probably not make any friends and then there's the questions as to if a AA team would pick you up.  Maybe ask to play up a level at tournaments if your kid's team is so good. 

« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 04:17:28 PM by Hockey05 »

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
« Reply #277 on: October 10, 2016, 04:43:59 PM »
Skating Dad:
Curious, will the 8-10 teams fighting for the other playoff spots be good enough to challenge those top 2-4 teams or will there be lack of parity?

What if a family were to find themselves on one of those top teams (and they thought, were told, the team would be middling, which it's not) and were concerned about possibly a lack of challenge for their kid. Would it be wrong to try and move the kid up to PWAA? Not a big fan of this, not married to the letters, not ego driven family--but we want our kid to be challenged and at this point are concerned he might be somewhat bored throughout the season. Thoughts???

In the non-checking / play up era, the SCHA championship has been decided by these top teams.  One of the other non top teams may make it to the semi's. There are more factors with state championship...

Unless you are paid in full, no club will release you.  Even then, they may not release you depending on the club and team circumstances.   Then, you would have to get a spot on one of the top teams.  The top teams are almost always full as they had their pick of players. 

The way it is set up, the off season is when you make your move. At this age coaching is the number one thing you should be looking at.  You have to have your little Gretzky skate with multiple teams at multiple levels. There are a lot of stand up coaches out there that will give you a fair assessment. There are others who are in it for the money and are not truthful. You can usually tell who is who with a little research and talking with other parents. You will know where your kid is at and the strength of each team, then you can make your move. Even then, there are no guarantees...

nirradus

• Mite
  • LR Justice +9/-7
« Reply #278 on: October 10, 2016, 05:20:11 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not concerned about getting a release and the particulars of moving up to PWAA-- that's not the point. I'm thinking about my kids development, that's it for the purpose of this discussion. am i overthinking it or do i have a valid concern. without getting too specific let's say he plays a very specific position, one that doesn't favor us being on a top team. last year we were on a top 2 team where he pretty much didn't get much game action at all. Now we find ourselves on another top team where he's not going to see a lot of quality action. team coaches don't matter so much for him. He's got private coaches. i'm only concerned with game action, speed of game, his overall development. We've been told by multiple coaches that he would be absolutely fine at the PWAA level so I'm just trying to get some feedback from the forum here before we 'possibly' approach our club about options that may or may not be available to us.

goalie_dad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +17/-8
« Reply #279 on: October 10, 2016, 05:48:57 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not concerned about getting a release and the particulars of moving up to PWAA-- that's not the point. I'm thinking about my kids development, that's it for the purpose of this discussion. am i overthinking it or do i have a valid concern. without getting too specific let's say he plays a very specific position, one that doesn't favor us being on a top team. last year we were on a top 2 team where he pretty much didn't get much game action at all. Now we find ourselves on another top team where he's not going to see a lot of quality action. team coaches don't matter so much for him. He's got private coaches. i'm only concerned with game action, speed of game, his overall development. We've been told by multiple coaches that he would be absolutely fine at the PWAA level so I'm just trying to get some feedback from the forum here before we 'possibly' approach our club about options that may or may not be available to us.

If he is seeing private coaches he will develop and there are other options for game action such as tournaments, scrimmages, etc.  Most ice time kids get is in practices and that is where the development comes from IMO.  I wouldn't get hung up on the 10 games where he isn't seeing much action.  There will be many more where he is seeing action (practices, privates, the handful of competitive games).

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #280 on: October 10, 2016, 05:58:03 PM »

Yes, you are over thinking it.  He is a PW.

nirradus

• Mite
  • LR Justice +9/-7
« Reply #281 on: October 10, 2016, 06:16:30 PM »

If he is seeing private coaches he will develop and there are other options for game action such as tournaments, scrimmages, etc.  Most ice time kids get is in practices and that is where the development comes from IMO.  I wouldn't get hung up on the 10 games where he isn't seeing much action.  There will be many more where he is seeing action (practices, privates, the handful of competitive games).

Thanks Goalie Dad. Good advice. Just what I needed to hear.

Handboni

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +9/-15
« Reply #282 on: October 10, 2016, 07:20:47 PM »

Sounds like your son is a goalie.  Development generally comes from privates, particularly for goalies.  Your son is fine, no matter his position.  Enjoy the year, supplement the training, and evaluate options for next season.  Most importantly, make sure your son has a good time on his team.

Just Saying

« Reply #283 on: October 10, 2016, 09:41:51 PM »

Thanks Goalie Dad. Good advice. Just what I needed to hear.

Not to mention... the Bears had a very weak preseason schedule. Two of the teams they played (Wildcats!) are dropping down. There will be some easy games, but the 5-5 OCHC (2) is more like the norm. Top half of PWA are all tough.   
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 10:13:24 PM by Just Saying »

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
« Reply #284 on: October 10, 2016, 11:55:38 PM »
Is it me or did I just see the Ducks(2) score vs Jr Kings (1) 4-5? Did anyone see this game?