This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Pee Wee A 2016-17  (Read 337867 times)

Wildwinger

• Mite
  • LR Justice +8/-1
Re: Pee Wee A 2016-17
« Reply #495 on: January 10, 2017, 06:39:25 PM »
Oops sorry skates did I kick you in the groin??? By the looks of your post, you must have a defenseman on that team....  they do have the best defense and it's because of their offense.  We played them, not just watched as you say but seriously doubt. I did not see anything close to what you claim the defense can do.  They do have fast forwards not just at center but wingers as well.... pretty good sized ones too.... all credit to oc2 they are a strong team....

skates

« Reply #496 on: January 10, 2017, 07:32:03 PM »
Oops sorry skates did I kick you in the groin??? By the looks of your post, you must have a defenseman on that team....  they do have the best defense and it's because of their offense.  We played them, not just watched as you say but seriously doubt. I did not see anything close to what you claim the defense can do.  They do have fast forwards not just at center but wingers as well.... pretty good sized ones too.... all credit to oc2 they are a strong team....

What are you talking about? Just because I find stats fun and taking a guess at what teams are at the top, you assume I have a defenseman on the OC team. My numbers and the score board just show that they have the best defense. And 6 of those goals out of 15 happened to be from 1 game. So do the math out of the total games played what is their percentage of average goals against per game in the remaining games.   And from watching a couple of their games, the games I saw their defense was on fire!  So if you played them of course, you thought your team was better than their defense. Did you win?

« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 08:04:36 PM by skates »

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
« Reply #497 on: January 11, 2017, 11:13:28 AM »
So I guess my picks last week were not that accurate but I was rooting for the underdog in most cases and lost. Guess I will have to do a better pick for next weekend. 

Hmmm it appears after last weeks games, OC 2 has taken 1st place.  Their defense is strong. And their  forwards are coming through for them when needed.

It appears to me that there really are only Top 6 teams and then the rest are fighting just to survive making a playoff spot. Should be an interesting 2nd half of the season. Good luck!

OC2 vs Ducks2 in two weeks should be a great game.  They have the same system and both rely heavy on their defense and goaltending. I expect it to be a low scoring game and it will most likely set the first seed.

HMMM  they rely heavy on their defense? ??? ??? ??? ? They are the top scoring team. I think their offense is their defense....... Having played against them, they have small defense who are a bit on the slow side.  If it weren't for their very fast forwards the defense would be in a lot of trouble. Their defense is the weakness of the team......... OC2 will fall from first place anyways, all of the top teams have fallen from it this year..........That game vs Ducks will be a good one though...........

Wildwinger what team/game were you watching? I happened to see a couple of OC 2 games. Also they have the best defensive record. They have a few fast forwards but from what I have seen their forwards do not back check and like to demonstrate their speed but need to work on passing because the games I saw they relied on their defense quite a bit when their forwards got into a bind and defense with their speed had to save the forwards butts a lot the games I saw. And their defense sets up most of their plays getting them out of the defensive area.

Grant it they are all just peewee A and every kid at this level will make a few mistakes.

No kid in this fight but what you described is not the type of game and chemistry that I saw.  I think that is why they have climbed to the top.

Defense does not mean Defenseman, defense is a team effort.  All the players have to buy into playing a defensive system.  A good defensive team will spend a lot of time in their attacking zone because they are able to move the puck out of their defensive zone.  The best way to determine if a team is a good defensive team is by shots against.  A good goalie will make a team with low shots against a great team.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 11:22:12 AM by SkatingDad »

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
« Reply #498 on: January 11, 2017, 12:21:09 PM »

What are you talking about? Just because I find stats fun and taking a guess at what teams are at the top, you assume I have a defenseman on the OC team. My numbers and the score board just show that they have the best defense. And 6 of those goals out of 15 happened to be from 1 game. So do the math out of the total games played what is their percentage of average goals against per game in the remaining games.   And from watching a couple of their games, the games I saw their defense was on fire!  So if you played them of course, you thought your team was better than their defense. Did you win?

I think we talked about this a while back... Let's look a bit deeper into this stat.

The only stat I keep looking at is when OCHC2 plays a top team, they are giving up 4.5 GA per game. Looking at Ducks2, they are giving up 2 GA per game, Kings 1 2.75 GA just to list a few (against the same top 9, added OC3). Since the 2nd half has more top teams coming up for OC2, I think the stat you look at will change a bit and even out. Statistically, the Ducks2 "Team" D seems to be the best right now. But hey, OC2 has handled their business up to this point, so you have to give them their due! They deserve to be right where they are...1st!

Icelife

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +6/-4
« Reply #499 on: January 11, 2017, 12:31:11 PM »
Our kids played against OC2 and we watched them play in a tournament. They have an all around decent team and their defense is pretty fast and isn't afraid to carry the puck or shoot. In the game against us their defense scored half of the goals. Much like every team at this level, there are lapses in judgement in terms of positioning and penalties but for the most part their defense was making the plays out of their zone and passing it up,  in each of the games I saw. There are a couple kids on D that are faster than their forwards. Maybe not all the time but at the games we watched, it was consistent. We had them tied but, they ultimately came ahead by their D scoring. They have a lot of kids that are fast and I hear a few are 05's. Should be fun for the next half of the season. I think the teams are all putting on a great show. We should all keep in mind these kids are 11 and 12 and still learning the fundamentals and body placement. They all deserve a huge high 5 regardless of the standings!
Let's all remember, these are kids!

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
« Reply #500 on: January 11, 2017, 01:36:25 PM »
I don't think anyone is being critical of the kids play, unless I missed a post. I think it's a great field for sure! Skates and I are stat nuts! Haha! Again, this has zero to do with how hard these kids are playing. As I've said from the beginning.... it's an any given Sunday kinda season!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 01:37:02 PM by MO-ICETIME »

skates

« Reply #501 on: January 12, 2017, 07:43:56 AM »
The winning team isn't the team with the most individual talent. It's the team that comes together and becomes a team of talent. 

nirradus

• Mite
  • LR Justice +9/-7
« Reply #502 on: January 12, 2017, 10:44:31 AM »
The winning team isn't the team with the most individual talent. It's the team that comes together and becomes a team of talent.

Well said. Now if we could only get our kids to play like a team on a consistent basis we'll be unstoppable  :)

White Skates

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-0
« Reply #503 on: January 13, 2017, 12:01:34 PM »
Weekend's Picks, Skates?

Anyone else care to chime in?!

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
« Reply #504 on: January 13, 2017, 03:52:01 PM »
Here is what I got:

Wave1 over Wildcats3
Bears over Heat
OCHC2 over Ducks1 - I just think OC size will be too much for the Ducks
OC1 over Wave Ont
Kings1 over Gulls
Ducks2 over Condors
Eagles over Blaze
PML over OC3 - this was hard for me! I'm an OC3 fan but PML is pretty tough and big.
Kings2 over Wave2

The 2 games I'll be looking at are Leafs/OC3 (Can OC 3 continue the climb in standings. This would be a great win for them!) And OC2/Ducks1 should be a great game!

Good luck to everyone!

« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 03:53:53 PM by MO-ICETIME »

Kidisontheice

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-1
« Reply #505 on: January 14, 2017, 06:07:59 PM »
Well said.

skates

« Reply #506 on: January 15, 2017, 07:04:48 AM »
Here is what I got:

Wave1 over Wildcats3
Bears over Heat
OCHC2 over Ducks1 - I just think OC size will be too much for the Ducks
OC1 over Wave Ont
Kings1 over Gulls
Ducks2 over Condors
Eagles over Blaze
PML over OC3 - this was hard for me! I'm an OC3 fan but PML is pretty tough and big.
Kings2 over Wave2

The 2 games I'll be looking at are Leafs/OC3 (Can OC 3 continue the climb in standings. This would be a great win for them!) And OC2/Ducks1 should be a great game!

Good luck to everyone!

My picks for the weekend:

Wave 1 vs. wildcats - should of been a close game. Wave 1 by 2
Bears vs. Heat - Bears by 3
OC vs. ducks1 - should be a good game.
OC 1 vs. wave3 - OC 1 by 2
Kings vs gulls - Kings by 3
Ducks2 vs condors- Ducks2 by 5
Eagles vs Blaze- Eagles by 4
PML vs OC 3 - PML by 2
Kings2 vs wave 2 - should be a fun game for both sides. Kings by 2

Good luck everyone!

• Midget
  • LR Justice +36/-53
  • So how about it boys? Look like hockey to you?
« Reply #507 on: January 15, 2017, 02:12:57 PM »
OC3 beat Maple Leafs 3 to 1.   Other scores?

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
« Reply #508 on: January 15, 2017, 05:34:01 PM »
Looks like the scores are coming in now! Was anyone at the OC2/Ducks1 game? Heard some things and I hope the kid is ok! I didn't notice any ejections or major penalties though.

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
« Reply #509 on: January 15, 2017, 05:37:30 PM »
OC3 beat Maple Leafs 3 to 1.   Other scores?

And here comes the big push by OC3! OC2 has Ducks2 next week, so it doesn't get any easier for them. The Eagles have 4 tough ones coming up too! 2nd half schedule could shake things up it seems!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 05:37:56 PM by MO-ICETIME »