This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Squirt A 2016-17  (Read 294100 times)

nuffsed

• Mite
  • LR Justice +4/-15
Re: Squirt A 2016-17
« Reply #315 on: November 21, 2016, 10:23:41 AM »
Although I feel for the Jr Ducks kid who may or may not belong in the company of the big players, I'm more concerned for the BIGGER Ice Dog Defenseman who may or may not have been coached to make use of that big frame and WIN the puck.  Penalty should have been on the JrDucks' Forward for taking a DIVE... apparently he "didn't miss a single shift."  The Defenseman clearly has his stick down, which tells me he had intentions to play the puck and NOT just skating into the Forward.  Some parents should enjoy these few years of FUN hockey... don't allow what happens on the ice to get you so fired up you have to use profanity to a 10 year old, because had that been MY kid you were cussing at, you may not like his response.  Football is taking all precautions these days to ruin their sport, it's cheaper too, I'm sure they'll take your abled body and temper as well. Nuffsed.

Rats13

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-2
« Reply #316 on: November 21, 2016, 10:47:50 AM »
Didn't look "dirty".  Certainly a penalty in squirts probably Pee Wee too.  Can't go through a player to get the puck.   Definitely not a dive.  Looked like the kid got rocked.

Any parent screaming at kid in box needs to have their head examined.  And that goes for any parent screaming "the kid took a dive" at a player down on the ice (Not here...but I've seen it).

Just my unsolicited 2 cents.

• Midget
  • LR Justice +36/-53
  • So how about it boys? Look like hockey to you?
« Reply #317 on: November 21, 2016, 11:00:25 AM »
Watched the video a few times, looked at the score sheet.  IMHO, refs got this one right.  Clear  charging.  Not a dive and not a dirty play.   Scoresheet shows a fair number of roughs and body checks, looks like by both teams.   Forward needs to learn to keep his head up.  Defender needs to learn how to use his size and realize that big kid/smaller kid collisions will draw a call at this level.  Hopefully, the team has a long talk to the parent who thought it was acceptable to lay into a kid in the penalty box.  BTW, if you are not comfortable with the play on the video, its time for you to find a different sport for your kid.  Game gets much bigger, faster, and rougher at Pee Wee, even though technically checking is not allowed. 

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #318 on: November 21, 2016, 02:59:19 PM »
Watched the video a few times, looked at the score sheet.  IMHO, refs got this one right.  Clear  charging.  Not a dive and not a dirty play.   Scoresheet shows a fair number of roughs and body checks, looks like by both teams.   Forward needs to learn to keep his head up.  Defender needs to learn how to use his size and realize that big kid/smaller kid collisions will draw a call at this level.  Hopefully, the team has a long talk to the parent who thought it was acceptable to lay into a kid in the penalty box.  BTW, if you are not comfortable with the play on the video, its time for you to find a different sport for your kid.  Game gets much bigger, faster, and rougher at Pee Wee, even though technically checking is not allowed.

Not just at SQ level any more.  10 & 2s are handed out like M&Ms on Halloween even at Bantam.  I suspect the Officials have been schooled on calling them because the calls are happening on all teams by all Refs.  European hockey is coming your way folks.

Iceinmyveins

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-0
« Reply #319 on: November 21, 2016, 09:12:13 PM »
If the parent was whining about that play then he needs to remove his child and himself from the sport of hockey then pick up a new hobby like chess. Yes it was a penalty at Squirt/PW Level, but body contact is to be expected in hockey and I will never discourage puck aggression. So lesson learned to the kid who ran into a wall is to have your head on a swivel at all times and the other player needs to learn how to properly battle for the puck or this won't be the only time he is sitting in the box.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 09:16:08 PM by Iceinmyveins »

Tommy, The Bomber

« Reply #320 on: November 21, 2016, 09:29:51 PM »
It wasn't even my kid that got hit, but I hope that everyone that is ok with that hit still has the same stance if it were their kid. I also don't condone any parent berating any 10 year regardless of the situation. That was uncalled for and embarrassed our club.

BigDuke6

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +21/-14
« Reply #321 on: November 21, 2016, 09:58:02 PM »
Didn't look horrible, certainly didn't look dirty.  It was a penalty, but in a few years these kids will be bantams and that won't be a penalty.  Never too early to learn to keep your head up.

nuffsed

• Mite
  • LR Justice +4/-15
« Reply #322 on: November 21, 2016, 10:03:34 PM »
It wasn't even my kid that got hit, but I hope that everyone that is ok with that hit still has the same stance if it were their kid. I also don't condone any parent berating any 10 year regardless of the situation. That was uncalled for and embarrassed our club.

To say "everyone that is ok with that hit" would claim some members condone it... can't speak for everyone, but if the Defenseman's intentions were to just hit the oncoming Forward, than the Defenseman should do the time. I still stand by the Defenseman was attempting to play the puck, but I was not present for this game nor do I read minds of 10 year olds.  However, I still stand by the JrDucks kid who rolled TWICE to sell that he was knocked down... DIVE.  Just like they do in soccer, sell the contact to get a call.  Call made was correct, but C'monMan... "he didn't miss a single shift." Oh well, my opinion.

Iceinmyveins

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-0
« Reply #323 on: November 21, 2016, 10:55:17 PM »
Get your head up or get hit is the message I preach to my son. So one of the risks I understand playing the game for over 30 years and now being a parent is that with hockey your gonna get hit regardless of if it's clean or not and there is no crying in hockey. I would not be the least bit mad if that were my son and as long as my son wasn't concussed he would skate back to the bench even if he was in tears hurting.

Bear71

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +34/-9
« Reply #324 on: November 22, 2016, 08:00:16 AM »
Nothing to worry about when your team plays the Bears.  We don't hit anyone...nor the back of the net.

Tommy, The Bomber

« Reply #325 on: November 22, 2016, 08:17:31 AM »
Bear71, I dont even know how to respond to that. Is that a dig at your coach or kids.  Either way I probably wouldn't have posted that. If the Bears are soft I would probably look at the parents, apples don't fall far from the tree.

Just Saying

« Reply #326 on: November 22, 2016, 09:20:47 AM »
Bear71, I dont even know how to respond to that. Is that a dig at your coach or kids.  Either way I probably wouldn't have posted that. If the Bears are soft I would probably look at the parents, apples don't fall far from the tree.

YES!  First parent fight of the year!  Alright, alright, alright... your kid apparently plays for the Ducks (2), which is very convenient, since the Bears play Ducks (2) on Friday morning in Yorba Linda.  So here are the rules: chains and sticks only. No knives. No guns.  Loser has to watch from the arcade area atop the fifty cent toddler plane ride while wearing the winner's team jersey.

Not to mention, these two teams have a bit of a blood rivalry going after the last debacle at KHS. This will work out nicely.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 09:43:40 AM by Just Saying »

Tommy, The Bomber

« Reply #327 on: November 22, 2016, 09:26:35 AM »
Just Saying, that is hilarious. I'm game. Lol

Just Saying

« Reply #328 on: November 22, 2016, 10:18:42 AM »
But let's make sure everyone has their insurance policies up to date... or has Trump already canceled all those?  Damn it... you know what, let's just have a drinking contest.  Same place.  Same time.  Everyone wins.

But I have to warn you, Bears have a LOT of alcoholics in the stands.

Bear71

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +34/-9
« Reply #329 on: November 22, 2016, 12:05:13 PM »

More comic relief than anything else, TTB.  Our kids and coaches are just fine, as is our parents' ability to consume adult beverages (on an as needed basis).