This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Squirt A 2016-17  (Read 294079 times)

Tommy, The Bomber

Re: Squirt A 2016-17
« Reply #435 on: November 30, 2016, 09:48:33 AM »
It will be interesting to see the roster for the Ducks once it's available.

goalie_dad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +17/-8
« Reply #436 on: November 30, 2016, 09:51:29 AM »
My guess is that there just are not enough teams in the "West".  It will make some of those games more competitive.  Still think Dallas and Kings beat the Gulls but those will be close games between those three teams.

I did see the Ducks roster is up and that is a good group of kids, just think they are a group of individuals and will not play as a team.  Just like the California Brick teams...

I am sticking by my predictions.

Tommy, The Bomber

« Reply #437 on: November 30, 2016, 09:54:08 AM »
Goalie_dad, can you post the link of the Ducks roster?

goalie_dad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +17/-8
« Reply #438 on: November 30, 2016, 10:01:28 AM »
Not too many surprises.  Guess we all knew about the Wave kids.  Otherwise, SQA Ducks kids and a few SQ BB Ducks kids.

http://nhlyc.stats.pointstreak.com/players-team-roster.html?teamid=636590&seasonid=15916

Hockeyking

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-4
« Reply #439 on: November 30, 2016, 02:06:43 PM »
Just looked at the Duck rooster and its stronger than I thought. I think if EK keeps the lines from each team consistant (Duck EK play with Duck EK, Duck Runtso plays with Duck Runtso, wave plays with Wave) they might have a chance. Looks like they have the top line from each team with a few BB boys mixed in. Should be interesting.

Just Saying

« Reply #440 on: November 30, 2016, 03:05:47 PM »
Just looked at the Duck rooster and its stronger than I thought. I think if EK keeps the lines from each team consistant (Duck EK play with Duck EK, Duck Runtso plays with Duck Runtso, wave plays with Wave) they might have a chance. Looks like they have the top line from each team with a few BB boys mixed in. Should be interesting.

Yeah, I was thinking that as well.  However, I always wondered why EK didn't do that with the '06 Brick team (ex. Ducks line, ID line, etc.). I guess it's never as simple as that, as a few kids didn't even go because of him, but that would seemed to have expedited any chemistry problems.

Behind the Scenes

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-4
« Reply #441 on: November 30, 2016, 03:08:14 PM »
My guess is that there just are not enough teams in the "West".  It will make some of those games more competitive.  Still think Dallas and Kings beat the Gulls but those will be close games between those three teams.

I did see the Ducks roster is up and that is a good group of kids, just think they are a group of individuals and will not play as a team.  Just like the California Brick teams...

I am sticking by my predictions.

Just looked at Jr Ducks Roster for NHL Cup at least 5 kids are individual players trying to pad their own stats and you have an end to ender playing D .... some of these kids will be considered for Alberta. Haven't we learned from the past? individuals players don't do well against strong, fast teams ..... good luck to all the teams including the 06 Jr Gulls ....remind me why they call it an 07 Tournament? Are the games being streamed live? Would be nice to watch a few games...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 03:56:00 PM by Behind the Scenes »

Disco Dan

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +17/-32
« Reply #442 on: November 30, 2016, 06:08:53 PM »
Perhaps they were asked to play since there aren't that many teams in the West? And, if I'm not mistaken, the Gulls are an AHL team... so them being there doesn't even make sense to begin. Their 07 BB teams wouldn't be competitive, so perhaps they figured "what the heck." 

And to be fair, the Jr. Kings did just sent their PWAA 06/05 team to the Drew Doughty London Jr Knights tournament and put them in the 06 Major division... even though half their team are 05s.

Kings only took three 05s to the Doughty Tournament.  While I agree with your point, taking an entire 06 team with two 07s is a bit ridiculous.  The Gulls 07 team plus their A players would be competitive, just may not be as strong as the Kings, Ducks, or Stars.

Just Saying

« Reply #443 on: November 30, 2016, 07:07:49 PM »
Perhaps they were asked to play since there aren't that many teams in the West? And, if I'm not mistaken, the Gulls are an AHL team... so them being there doesn't even make sense to begin. Their 07 BB teams wouldn't be competitive, so perhaps they figured "what the heck." 

And to be fair, the Jr. Kings did just sent their PWAA 06/05 team to the Drew Doughty London Jr Knights tournament and put them in the 06 Major division... even though half their team are 05s.

Kings only took three 05s to the Doughty Tournament.  While I agree with your point, taking an entire 06 team with two 07s is a bit ridiculous.  The Gulls 07 team plus their A players would be competitive, just may not be as strong as the Kings, Ducks, or Stars.

No. They took 8 05s and a goalie to London. Check the roster. Majority of that team is 05.

Disco Dan

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +17/-32
« Reply #444 on: November 30, 2016, 07:54:32 PM »

No. They took 8 05s and a goalie to London. Check the roster. Majority of that team is 05.

I didn't realize that Kings had that many 05s in London.  I still don't think bringing an 06 team to an 07 tournament when you have an 07 team is okay.  Kings 06 birthyear is all over the place.  Gulls have a solid team that should be allowed to participate  (just like the Ducks).  I'm glad to see the Ducks pulled up BBS to help out!

#4BobbyOrr

• Midget
  • LR Justice +98/-106
« Reply #445 on: November 30, 2016, 08:03:49 PM »
we should make the 06's wear 10lb weight vests

Just Saying

« Reply #446 on: November 30, 2016, 08:08:18 PM »

Don't worry, the 06s still playing SQWA already skate like they're wearing 10lb weight vests.  :o

Disco Dan

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +17/-32
« Reply #447 on: November 30, 2016, 08:28:26 PM »

Don't worry, the 06s still playing SQWA already skate like they're wearing 10lb weight vests.  :o

Ha!  Regardless, it should be a good tournament.  Good luck to all!

Disco Dan

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +17/-32
« Reply #448 on: November 30, 2016, 09:59:49 PM »
Perhaps they were asked to play since there aren't that many teams in the West? And, if I'm not mistaken, the Gulls are an AHL team... so them being there doesn't even make sense to begin. Their

I didn't realize that Kings had that many 05s in London.  I still don't think bringing an 06 team to an 07 tournament when you have an 07 team is okay.  Kings 06 birthyear is all over the place.  Gulls have a solid team that should be allowed to participate  (just like the Ducks).  I'm glad to see the Ducks pulled up BBS to help out!

I still don't think bringing an 06 team to an 07 tournament when you have an 07 team is okay.

It's my understanding that the Gulls were asked to play in the tournament. They did not seek it out.  Also they are not an all 06 team, it's about a 50-50 split with one 08.

All of the top SCAHA Squirt A teams are very close in skill level, despite birth year breakdowns, so it should be very
competitive and fun for everyone.   8) 

I agree with what you're saying for the most part, especially about the competition.  This age issue is slightly different though because the Gulls should be going in as a favorite (last time I checked the SCAHA standings they were atop or near the top of SQA) and have a legit shot to win.  The Kings were not a favorite in London.

SilkyMitts

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-3
« Reply #449 on: December 01, 2016, 08:39:08 AM »

It absolutely amazes me to listen to adults ramble on about 9 and 10 year old kids, when it is likely that most if not ALL of you have never played a sport past high school or perhaps never even made a varsity team in their lives.  I can assure that I have played the sport at a much higher level than anyone in this discussion and I would never talk about young athletes the way you people do.