This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: CAHA Tier 2 Peewee/Bantam changes for 2017-2018  (Read 31667 times)

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
CAHA Tier 2 Peewee/Bantam changes for 2017-2018
« on: May 02, 2017, 07:49:28 PM »
I've spoken to a number of people about these changes.  From those conversations and some discussion here, I received a number of ideas as to how best to communicate these concerns to CAHA. 

Obviously one way to handle this is through the member clubs, but the reality is that the CAHA board already passed this right through to implementation. 

In searching for another avenue of expression, there's the email address provided with the announcement, however, direct communications doesn't provide any visibility or transparency.

If you are concerned or downright disagree with the plans for CAHA Tier 2, there's another option:  this online Petition.

The url for the Petition for sharing is:  https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/call-to-abandon-unnecessary-and-problematic

If there's enough interest, I'll make sure that the petition is forwarded to the CAHA board. 

« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 07:56:00 PM by lcadad »

• Midget
  • LR Justice +36/-53
  • So how about it boys? Look like hockey to you?
Re: CAHA Tier 2 Peewee/Bantam changes for 2017-2018
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 08:37:51 PM »
Well done.  I've signed.

skates

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 03:24:01 PM »
At least CAHA is trying to do something so parents and clubs will realize that most teams and players should not be AA. Maybe this is to show that the bottom bracket teams really should be playing A. If your team and your player was on a team that were the 6th seed or below last season, your team nor your kid should be playing AA.

justanotherhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +59/-56
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 03:46:30 PM »
If your team and your player was on a team that were the 6th seed or below last season, your team nor your kid should be playing AA.

I don't know but last year's undefeated PWAA GSE2 team may disagree...

skates

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 07:22:33 PM »
If your team and your player was on a team that were the 6th seed or below last season, your team nor your kid should be playing AA.

I don't know but last year's undefeated PWAA GSE2 team may disagree...

Nah! Any team can have a bad game here or there. Still doesn't make that 9th seed AA.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 07:23:52 PM by skates »

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 08:02:06 PM »
At least CAHA is trying to do something so parents and clubs will realize that most teams and players should not be AA. Maybe this is to show that the bottom bracket teams really should be playing A. If your team and your player was on a team that were the 6th seed or below last season, your team nor your kid should be playing AA.

Skates you are aware that hockey is a team sport?  It's a little bit ridiculous to make the declaration that kids on a team should or should not be in a particular division based on seedings or even results.   

In point of fact, an undefeated team lost to the 9th seed.  Not only that, but it was a loss to a smaller local clubs vs. a conglomerate organization (GSE) put together specifically to gather the so called "elite" players from a bunch of norcal clubs.

Lucky for them, Skates wasn't around to let them know they had no business playing an undefeated team, and not only that but they didn't even belong in Peewee AA. 

Funny but 8th seeds recorded upsets in numerous Peewee divisions this season.  I believe the Peewee A 8th seed actually made it to the state championships.  I can't believe that they had the temerity of thinking they had any business playing Peewee A with results like that during the regular season.  :o

« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 08:25:24 PM by lcadad »

justanotherhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +59/-56
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 08:11:04 PM »

Nah! Any team can have a bad game here or there. Still doesn't make that 9th seed AA.

That GSE2 team was the best PWAA team in California, until their losses to the 9th seed OC team and the eventual State Champ Wave1 team. In fact, GSE2 lost 4-5x all year only to AAA teams in tourneys and never lost to any other PWAA teams in the country. Perhaps they had a bad game, but I doubt any PWA team would even stand a chance against them.

Just curious, does your kid even play in AA?

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 08:36:05 PM »
Skates has stated in the past that his kid is an '06 who will be playing Peewee this coming season. 

He's also a numbers guy who was active in the Peewee A thread making predictions using stats to model winners and losers.  I think at times he perhaps forgets that this isn't fantasy hockey. 

skates

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 06:39:41 AM »
Skates has stated in the past that his kid is an '06 who will be playing Peewee this coming season. 

He's also a numbers guy who was active in the Peewee A thread making predictions using stats to model winners and losers.  I think at times he perhaps forgets that this isn't fantasy hockey.

Correct my son played squirt last season and is moving up to PW. Not trying to join the crazy parents with AA this coming season. But I do know those PW A teams from last season the bottom half starting with seed 7 should not be playing AA. Hate to tell you this, but life is made up of stats! And I can tell you that if your team or player is playing AA and you were 7th seed or below, good luck at keeping up or sitting the bench. Dont forget my stats were pretty accurate with last seasons top 4.

Avcadet

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +7/-7
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 09:51:50 AM »

Skates you are aware that hockey is a team sport?  It's a little bit ridiculous to make the declaration that kids on a team should or should not be in a particular division based on seedings or even results.   

In point of fact, an undefeated team lost to the 9th seed.  Not only that, but it was a loss to a smaller local clubs vs. a conglomerate organization (GSE) put together specifically to gather the so called "elite" players from a bunch of norcal clubs.

Lucky for them, Skates wasn't around to let them know they had no business playing an undefeated team, and not only that but they didn't even belong in Peewee AA. 

Funny but 8th seeds recorded upsets in numerous Peewee divisions this season.  I believe the Peewee A 8th seed actually made it to the state championships.  I can't believe that they had the temerity of thinking they had any business playing Peewee A with results like that during the regular season.  :o
Peewee A 8th seed regular season was OCHC3 while playoffs was OCHC1 with neither going to state. It was OCHC2 that took SCAHA and were finalists at the state championships.

Panther Coach

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +41/-21
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 10:32:40 AM »

Correct my son played squirt last season and is moving up to PW. Not trying to join the crazy parents with AA this coming season. But I do know those PW A teams from last season the bottom half starting with seed 7 should not be playing AA. Hate to tell you this, but life is made up of stats! And I can tell you that if your team or player is playing AA and you were 7th seed or below, good luck at keeping up or sitting the bench. Dont forget my stats were pretty accurate with last seasons top 4.

Tons of great insight for a parent who did not have a kid playing PWAA or Tier hockey for that matter  ::)

justanotherhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +59/-56
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 12:37:50 PM »

Tons of great insight for a parent who did not have a kid playing PWAA or Tier hockey for that matter  ::)

Right!? A squirt parent chiming in on something he knows little about and has yet to experience first hand and he calls PWAA parents crazy... Crunch all the nerdy numbers you want, but luckily the game isn't played on paper.

Skates, not sure how many PWAA games you watched last year, but perhaps you should go ask the coaches, parents and players of last year's PWAA division whether the Bears (7th) and OC (9th) belong or not.

7th seed Bears: One of the toughest team to play against, made it to the final 4, lost to eventual State Champs Wave1 5-3, and lost to runner-up JrKings1 4-3.

9th seed OC: lost to GSE1 (final 4 team) 2-1, lost to Bears (final 4 team) 5-3, beat GSE2 (1st seed) 4-3.

All the games mentioned above were close games. Go ask the State Champs how tough the Bears were... Perhaps OC was a borderline playoff team but to say they didn't belong in PWAA is ridiculous. 85% of OC's regular season losses were by less than 2 goals. Only once did they get blown out 6-0 by Wave2 (8th seed) and when they met again in an Arizona tourney, OC won 1-0.

Not to mention the undefeated GSE2, ranked 22nd in the nation, cream of the crop in CA last year, lost only to 4 AAA teams and 3 PWAA teams. The PWAA teams GSE2 lost to were: State Champs Wave1 4-3, USA Eagle AA Lake Forest Academy 0-1 and OCHC 4-3. Against PWAA teams throughout the country, GSE2 allowed 4 or more goals only 3 times - once to Wave1 and twice to OCHC. GSE2 lost to 9th seed OC but somehow destroyed the JrDucks2 (5th seed) 10-2 in the playdown and JrDucks2 went 12-5-2 during regular season...

Statistics can be made to prove anything - even the truth... and the truth here is OCHC may not have been the strongest PWAA teams last year, but they certainly belonged.

skates

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 01:54:07 PM »

Right!? A squirt parent chiming in on something he knows little about and has yet to experience first hand and he calls PWAA parents crazy... Crunch all the nerdy numbers you want, but luckily the game isn't played on paper.

Skates, not sure how many PWAA games you watched last year, but perhaps you should go ask the coaches, parents and players of last year's PWAA division whether the Bears (7th) and OC (9th) belong or not.

7th seed Bears: One of the toughest team to play against, made it to the final 4, lost to eventual State Champs Wave1 5-3, and lost to runner-up JrKings1 4-3.

9th seed OC: lost to GSE1 (final 4 team) 2-1, lost to Bears (final 4 team) 5-3, beat GSE2 (1st seed) 4-3.

All the games mentioned above were close games. Go ask the State Champs how tough the Bears were... Perhaps OC was a borderline playoff team but to say they didn't belong in PWAA is ridiculous. 85% of OC's regular season losses were by less than 2 goals. Only once did they get blown out 6-0 by Wave2 (8th seed) and when they met again in an Arizona tourney, OC won 1-0.

Not to mention the undefeated GSE2, ranked 22nd in the nation, cream of the crop in CA last year, lost only to 4 AAA teams and 3 PWAA teams. The PWAA teams GSE2 lost to were: State Champs Wave1 4-3, USA Eagle AA Lake Forest Academy 0-1 and OCHC 4-3. Against PWAA teams throughout the country, GSE2 allowed 4 or more goals only 3 times - once to Wave1 and twice to OCHC. GSE2 lost to 9th seed OC but somehow destroyed the JrDucks2 (5th seed) 10-2 in the playdown and JrDucks2 went 12-5-2 during regular season...

Statistics can be made to prove anything - even the truth... and the truth here is OCHC may not have been the strongest PWAA teams last year, but they certainly belonged.

You forgot that I also have a Bantam player that played AA in the past.

And if you read my post I was referring to the stats for PW A last year. Your right I don't know what the stats looked like last season for the AA. But I can tell you, any 06's and 05's that were on a 7th seed or below team on PW A last season is not ready to play AA next season so it is good that CAHA is making a change to put those teams in the bottom bracket so that the top bracket will be more competitive. Do I think the 1st seed should get an automatic to the championship game, absolutely not. But CAHA does need a way to limit the teams that go AA.

Hockey05

• Midget
  • LR Justice +59/-33
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 01:56:03 PM »

"And I can tell you that if your team or player is playing AA and you were 7th seed or below, good luck at keeping up or sitting the bench. Dont forget my stats were pretty accurate with last seasons top 4."

Skates, we are saving posts to review at the end of the year.  In corresponding with a few others from this blog there is consensus.  We think this last one has a good chance at the booby prize. 

First off, your stats were from last year and it was PWA youth hockey.  We appreciated them during the season and your predictions.  It was fun.  However, none of us care anymore.  We have all moved on.  Also, most of us would like to think in watching that we are all aware of the teams that are really good.  Secondly, tier hockey isn't A.     

Once you got a few more years under your belt you will see that players move around, so too do coaches, some teams advance, others disintegrate and clubs fold.  You don't know who is moving, which kid has grown 6 inches and gone through profound physical change, what kids are living in an ice rink and others that have traded a hockey stick for a guitar. 

Skates, perhaps you too will soon realize that CAHA has made a mess of things.  High end players have left the state in droves.  This forum over three age categories is focussed on this very topic and new rules CAHA has vaguely put in place that are not defined prior to tryouts.  Do too many teams play AA?  Yes, I'd agree with that.  However, perhaps you should examine some of the many valid points that have been made before you write "good luck keeping up or sitting on the bench". 
Lastly, not every parent cares if their kid's team sucks either, some may see it as a development year, others the convenience with a local club, or there are those that are just grateful to keep their kid playing a sport he or she loves. 

« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 01:58:23 PM by Hockey05 »

skates

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 02:07:17 PM »

"And I can tell you that if your team or player is playing AA and you were 7th seed or below, good luck at keeping up or sitting the bench. Dont forget my stats were pretty accurate with last seasons top 4."

Skates, we are saving posts to review at the end of the year.  In corresponding with a few others from this blog there is consensus.  We think this last one has a good chance at the booby prize. 

First off, your stats were from last year and it was PWA youth hockey.  We appreciated them during the season and your predictions.  It was fun.  However, none of us care anymore.  We have all moved on.  Also, most of us would like to think in watching that we are all aware of the teams that are really good.  Secondly, tier hockey isn't A.     

Once you got a few more years under your belt you will see that players move around, so too do coaches, some teams advance, others disintegrate and clubs fold.  You don't know who is moving, which kid has grown 6 inches and gone through profound physical change, what kids are living in an ice rink and others that have traded a hockey stick for a guitar. 

Skates, perhaps you too will soon realize that CAHA has made a mess of things.  High end players have left the state in droves.  This forum over three age categories is focussed on this very topic and new rules CAHA has vaguely put in place that are not defined prior to tryouts.  Do too many teams play AA?  Yes, I'd agree with that.  However, perhaps you should examine some of the many valid points that have been made before you write "good luck keeping up or sitting on the bench". 
Lastly, not every parent cares if their kid's team sucks either, some may see it as a development year, others the convenience with a local club, or there are those that are just grateful to keep their kid playing a sport he or she loves.

Thanks for your opinion. I will just sit back and observe with my stats.