This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Tier Tryouts  (Read 47799 times)

Crash

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +24/-169
Re: Tier Tryouts
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2017, 08:17:46 AM »
The low CDN $ is a draw if you have US $ assets, and I imagine the level of competition. The Vancouver Selects team we played in C Starr Bantam final was very solid (we lost 0-1 in overtime on a weird play) but my point is the had FOUR freaking coaches on the bench. That's a lot of expense when you're coming to CA from Van.

The other big picture issue for CA is looking ahead to college. There is no Division 1 College team closer than Denver or Arizona. My kid wants to go to Stanford (maths, hard sciences) and they have a D-2/3 team (apparently they all play each other) but you have to pay (no hockey scholarships at all). Welcome to America. He's going to have to play water polo to get an athletic / academic scholarship.

I am just guessing, but I imagine parents think the visibility at a prep school is worth it. I don't know. We have another year of Bantam which is stressful enough to think about.

Why does CA not have a Division 1 College team? Does anyone actually know? Is anyone working towards that?

Icelife

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +6/-4
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2017, 08:20:17 AM »
Just out of curiosity at what age do recruiters for prep schools start looking at kids? Are the kids recruited usually AAA kids that get exposure at out of state tournaments?
Let's all remember, these are kids!

Reality check

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-25
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2017, 08:27:39 AM »
If your player is good enough they will be noticed!!!

Icelife

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +6/-4
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2017, 08:34:04 AM »
I understand that, unfortunately I'm not holding hopes for my kid as he is likely too small but was just curious the age range one gets recruited? Bantam or does it start at Peewee level? Do you have to play AAA to get noticed? Are they mostly getting noticed out of CA while on tournaments? Just curious how the process typically works.
Let's all remember, these are kids!

Ziegler

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +28/-13
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2017, 08:41:47 AM »
Usually New England prep starts looking the summer before 8th grade. Because most of those schools have high educational standards your child would need time to take the appropriate entrance exams. As for Getting noticed in Cali you will have to do the leg work unless your tean has a meaningful tourney in New England to be seen. If not you can look into the chowder cup and try and get him
On a team for that.  There also a prep showcase that takes place in the summer. that may be you way to go

Stanley

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +13/-10
« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2017, 09:08:59 AM »
As for why one would consider a prep school, it depends on your situation.  Depending on where you live and work, if your kid is serious about hockey you may be looking at 2-3 hours a day in the car to get him or her to and from practices, clinics and games.  At a prep school like SSM, that commute can turn into literally a 2-3 minute walk to the rink on most days.  Many serious players in SoCal see their grades plummet, or turn to home schooling, and if your long-term goal is getting your kid into a good college then going to a prep school may be the better route.  Opportunities to play at a high level in SoCal are also limited: in some age groups there are only two AAA teams anywhere near here, and for a variety of reasons often discussed on this board, unless your player was on one of those teams at age 9 or 10 the odds are not good that they will ever get onto them regardless of their level of talent or dedication.  Finally, if you live in the city of LA, you are probably already sending your kid to a pricey private school if you can scrimp and save enough to afford it, so you might actually save a ton of money by sending your kid to a prep school where the hockey is included.  I never thought before this year that I might lose my kid at age 14 or 15 to an out-of-state school, but the more I learn about SoCal hockey the more sense it makes.

Hockey sophist

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +50/-98
« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2017, 10:33:09 AM »
Thanks for the excellent questions and discussion over the last 24 hours or so.   I disagree that if a kid is good, recruiters will find him.   Maybe if you are a King or Duck AAA.  Like most things in the US, the kid or family need to be proactive.   However, a small group of PWAAA Kings and Ducks have already taken orientation trip to the Boston area but that may be only 4-8 kids and families.   There is a lot of development that can happen between ages 12 and 18.   SSM costs in the mid-$50s as one person noted above.   We cannot afford that but I met dad of a HS sophomore at a treadmill session in Carlsbad whose Wildcat son has overtures from Harvard and a prep school in NE.  Two takeaways: 1.  His son has a 4.8 GPA with his AP courses and 2.  His son was offered a substantial scholarship.  That tells me that academic performance does count if a family values education equally to hockey.   Kid A might be #1 or #2 in his age group in CAHA but be a mediocre student while kid B may be #25 (if that kind of precision is possible with pre or early teens) but an outstanding student.  If kid #25 is bigger, stronger, faster but not as good a hockey player, what will 2-6 years of development do to those rankings?  How do academic prep schools and Ivy league universities weigh these two kids?    We would prefer the Pac-12 to have a full hockey program in 3-5 years but, short of that, we will do what we can to assure our son has a shot at continuing his hockey career at a great university.  A SSM or another prep school can make difference because of integrated academics and hockey, more and better hockey, coaching, and teammates, and reputation.   A graduate of SSM told us last summer at a hockey camp that SSM has two types of students: great hockey players and really smart and rich overseas Chinese students.   Who knows what path a 14 year old might take at age 25 or 30 but if social networks matter, then SSM is a good investment.     

glilv

• Mite
  • LR Justice +7/-0
« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2017, 10:51:21 AM »
Usually New England prep starts looking the summer before 8th grade. Because most of those schools have high educational standards your child would need time to take the appropriate entrance exams. As for Getting noticed in Cali you will have to do the leg work unless your tean has a meaningful tourney in New England to be seen. If not you can look into the chowder cup and try and get him
On a team for that.  There also a prep showcase that takes place in the summer. that may be you way to go

Your child would have to take SSAT test.  You need to find testing sites and register in advance.  Usually the deadline to submit the applications to New England prep schools is January 15th.  It's a lot of paperwork, essays, teacher and counselor recommendations, etc.

glilv

• Mite
  • LR Justice +7/-0
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2017, 10:54:53 AM »
I understand that, unfortunately I'm not holding hopes for my kid as he is likely too small but was just curious the age range one gets recruited? Bantam or does it start at Peewee level? Do you have to play AAA to get noticed? Are they mostly getting noticed out of CA while on tournaments? Just curious how the process typically works.

The kids start getting recruited at Bantam level.  You don't have to play AAA to get noticed.  It helps to go out on tournaments, as long as they are useful ones.
Do a lot of personal research, Rubber Magazine, hockey websites.  It's important to be proactive.  If the kid doesn't get scouted, it's not the end of the world.

Oilers1966

• Mite
  • LR Justice +28/-16
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2017, 11:13:31 AM »
They can find you at the U15, U16 camps. Plus at showcases, Combines( yes they are money makers)
They have a good one in Vegas ( Global Prospect Camp and Great Western Prospect camp)

You can talk to College Coaches Div -1 Div -3 and ACHA. 

What CAHA should be more involved ( which they wont) But I think the Kings just did is have a show case for Bantam players, and time to talk with Schools and programs. Invite SSM and other programs like this.

The NAHL has or had one in Simi valley to get seen without paying 2k ( travel costs) to be seen. Too bring in parents who have gone thru this already. And let them tell their stories.

A few have said, Each college has different rules with Grades and how funding is disturbed towards its hockey players.

The best over all IMO is Air Force Hockey Academy its 100% zero cost in funds.( Yes you for to the Air Force for 7 years) But its great program ( not for everyone -and no my son did not go)

If you have a chance to speak with the Coach and speak to players who have gone thru the system.  ( talk with parents who are older that have made mistakes( so you don't repeat them)  There is no book to read - you cant trust anyone. ( but getting the most information will give you more power to make the best decision for you and your son)

Some one asked about grades vs talent- He is correct. RPI Div -1 looks at grades then talent.  Harvard has a mix some great players with ok grades ( B's)  and kids with 4.5 GPA and did very well on ACT and SAT's. 

This has been very helpful. We will never know who paid what to get where. SSM is alot of $$$ I am coming away with that it takes a certain family to play for SSM. 

1. You have to be good ( maybe not great)
2. Funds( many great players just dont have the funds to send their kids away)
3. Willing to send your 14 yr old away.
4. That your son wants to go away and be on his own.

I would think this takes a small group of people that this all works and I wonder how many come back home by December or  and stay and complete the program.

If my son could play Hockey at Stanford ( and I  got a break of any kind I would be thrilled)

This tread of talk has been great.

coachbombay

« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2017, 12:38:11 PM »
no breaks or scholarships for Standford. they play ACHA D2 ( aka club).

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2017, 12:53:11 PM »

Correct also D-3 doesn't offer scholarships

coachbombay

« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2017, 01:01:28 PM »
It is pretty cheap for LBST. I want to say something like $1,200. All the clubs do a lot of fund raising and they charge for admission to see the games.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 01:03:13 PM by coachbombay »

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2017, 02:04:35 PM »

Correct also D-3 doesn't offer scholarships
[/quote

You can however get "leadership grants" "merit grants" etc as a financial incentive.

orangecone

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +14/-4
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2017, 07:13:43 AM »
 3 kids from the AA Bears (Bantam) got recruited for prep schools on the east coast. There's a ton of high caliber players playing AA. Peter Torsson held a camp last season for prep school and had a few coaches at the camp. Every top level coach says the same thing. If you're good enough, they'll find you. AND, every parent thinks their kid is better than he actually is.