This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Tier Tryouts  (Read 47799 times)

glilv

• Mite
  • LR Justice +7/-0
Re: Tier Tryouts
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2017, 10:12:18 AM »
4 Players of the 03 Kings went to SSM. 1 Goalie,2 Def, 1 Forward.  Its also not cheap. So you have to also consider who can afford the program as well.  The 5th player- Def went to Delta Hockey Academy in British Columbia. They were ranked 2nd in Canada for Bantam Majors last season. SSM was forth in the USA According to My Hockey Rankings.

What you should be looking at is what makes these kids and team so different and how they climbed to this level in Southern California to be in the top players & team in North America
. This 03 team started just like any other year for the Kings in the beginning. ( again am I wrong)

I am sure this team travels alot so expenses are high (unless they have a sponsor). But they have been strong since the Brick year it seems.  This thou is the first year that so many moved on ( I think) others know more then me

. But this also helps others who have joined the program and will get better as well.  One question- Why dont they seem to have issues like other programs. I would think they have their key players , shorten benches, etc.  But it works, so if it works them why cant other programs ( age groups, in other areas) create this, so it works for them.

If anyone knows more about this , it would be interesting to hear. How is Crashes team so a mess and this one is not.

or is it the parents listen to the coaches and just pay the bill ???

SSM picked up players from other So Cal teams, as well.  From the overall pool, at least 2 are a package deal
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 10:13:24 AM by glilv »

Hockey sophist

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +50/-98
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2017, 11:21:17 AM »
Good for those kids making it to SSM, but it's kinda crazy that SSM is taking more and more kids all the way from CA... I know of a few CA kids currently playing there, and I always wonder if it's a connection thing (it's always about who you know, right?) or some really legitimately made it on the roster. Just hard for me to believe that there aren't any great player between here and Minn that SSM are looking to pick kids up all the way from CA. But seriously, good for those who's going on to bigger and better things.

Usually for a good prep school (and not a hockey mill), it's a combination of academics (good grades) and great hockey, moral character, etc

Why SSM?  We are a 3rd year PWAA major family evaluating SSM for our son at either the 9th or 10th grade.  We will attend one of the SSM hockey camps this summer and make it a family road trip going and coming.     First, we lived in Minneapolis area for nearly 6 years and our son was born there.   Second, his sister graduated from middle and high school there and has two degrees from the U of Minnesota.   We would all like to be physically closer.   Third, it is a first rate academic institution that promotes moral character as mentioned above.   We are more confident in our son's academic future than his hockey future and finding the right fit for an academic path is not a lot easier than finding the right hockey club or team.  Fourth, he has some potential in hockey but how much is uncertain.   He is only 12 and kids develop at different rates in this complex sport.   If he develops, great, we are doing our due diligence; if not, there are academic and hockey options reasonably close to home.   But the appeal of Shattuck St. Mary's is that it is a quality institution emphasizing both hockey and academics.     

glilv

• Mite
  • LR Justice +7/-0
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2017, 11:47:52 AM »
 Just hard for me to believe that there aren't any great player between here and Minn that SSM are looking to pick kids up all the way from CA

You could ask the same question about the prep schools in New England.  There are plenty of great players between here and Massachusetts.
It's super competitive on all levels.  These are the kids that truly shine 

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2017, 11:53:46 AM »
Just hard for me to believe that there aren't any great player between here and Minn that SSM are looking to pick kids up all the way from CA

You could ask the same question about the prep schools in New England.  There are plenty of great players between here and Massachusetts.

The two kids that are going that I know are not getting a free ride. They are paying to go and no telling how much ice time they get.

glilv

• Mite
  • LR Justice +7/-0
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2017, 12:13:31 PM »

The two kids that are going that I know are not getting a free ride. They are paying to go and no telling how much ice time they get.

I just realized I know 5 kids that are going.  2 are paying.  I don't know about the other 3.

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2017, 12:18:48 PM »

I just realized I know 5 kids that are going.  2 are paying.  I don't know about the other 3.

Most likely they are all paying, some more then others.  I think they have a birth year team and a birth year club team if I am not mistaken.   

09 Dad

• Mite
  • LR Justice +5/-20
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2017, 12:21:05 PM »

I really don't get it.  Perhaps my exposure to hockey is too brief (I have an 09), but what's the point in moving to very-small town Minnesota and paying $35-45k per year for school and $5k extra for hockey ($40k total at least), when you can play AAA here in CA for $7-10k and travel?  The level of play is not THAT much higher at SSM... when Kings or Ducks play SSM in the national tournaments, they don't lose by 20 goals, it's usually very very close.

As I understand it, SSM has at least 5 teams, and they don't guarantee spots on the roster.  You actually tryout (not the wink-wink tryouts we have here).  Maybe you make the big team, maybe you play on their AA team (saw one Jr King on that squad this past season). 

Travel sucks for us, but at least we're with our kids, flying on a jet.  At SSM, they take 5 hour bus rides at least 5 times per season.  Yikes, that's 50 hours on a bus (round trip). 
I can buy lots of skill sessions and extra ice time for the $35k less in schooling costs per year.  Probably more than SSM provides.   And probably with better skill coaches, we have an abundance of retired NHL guys who prefer living and coaching in SoCal over Minnesota.

Exposure is certainly better at SSM.  No doubt.  But, the SSM kids leave in 11th grade to play at NTDP/USHL, just like we do here in CA.  Couldn't the 03 Jr Kings guys do that too, while spending 9th and 10th grade at home, having Mom do their laundry, and enjoying the beach and In-N-Out?

What am I missing?

[size=78%]  [/size]

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2017, 12:25:06 PM »

I really don't get it.  Perhaps my exposure to hockey is too brief (I have an 09), but what's the point in moving to very-small town Minnesota and paying $35-45k per year for school and $5k extra for hockey ($40k total at least), when you can play AAA here in CA for $7-10k and travel?  The level of play is not THAT much higher at SSM... when Kings or Ducks play SSM in the national tournaments, they don't lose by 20 goals, it's usually very very close.

As I understand it, SSM has at least 5 teams, and they don't guarantee spots on the roster.  You actually tryout (not the wink-wink tryouts we have here).  Maybe you make the big team, maybe you play on their AA team (saw one Jr King on that squad this past season). 

Travel sucks for us, but at least we're with our kids, flying on a jet.  At SSM, they take 5 hour bus rides at least 5 times per season.  Yikes, that's 50 hours on a bus (round trip). 
I can buy lots of skill sessions and extra ice time for the $35k less in schooling costs per year.  Probably more than SSM provides.   And probably with better skill coaches, we have an abundance of retired NHL guys who prefer living and coaching in SoCal over Minnesota.

Exposure is certainly better at SSM.  No doubt.  But, the SSM kids leave in 11th grade to play at NTDP/USHL, just like we do here in CA.  Couldn't the 03 Jr Kings guys do that too, while spending 9th and 10th grade at home, having Mom do their laundry, and enjoying the beach and In-N-Out?

What am I missing?

[size=78%]  [/size]

I think that's pretty spot on actually. If your good enough they will find you. Sure it may need to be at a highly scouted event but they will find you. 

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2017, 12:58:36 PM »
I know two 03 Kings went to Shattuck.  Where did the others go?

Yes, very good team, but not surprising they are starting to leave.  There will be as many or more that leave next year.

I know of 3

Good for those kids making it to SSM, but it's kinda crazy that SSM is taking more and more kids all the way from CA... I know of a few CA kids currently playing there, and I always wonder if it's a connection thing (it's always about who you know, right?) or some really legitimately made it on the roster. Just hard for me to believe that there aren't any great player between here and Minn that SSM are looking to pick kids up all the way from CA. But seriously, good for those who's going on to bigger and better things.

CA is the 7th largest youth hockey market in the US.  It makes since they would be looking here.

Xfactor_56

« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2017, 01:38:19 PM »
.. what's the point in moving to very-small town Minnesota and paying $35-45k per year for school and $5k extra for hockey ($40k total at least), when you can play AAA here in CA for $7-10k and travel?

What am I missing?
[size=78%]  [/size]

Speaking as a parent with a Midget aged player, I think the most compelling argument for prep school is that there is less conflict between academics and hockey, especially as they get older.  You are very lucky if you are attending a school that gives you the flexibility to miss 15-25 days without consequences for your player.  Even if the school administration is flexible, they can't require every teacher to be. 
I also know that, all in, your cost for hockey locally will far exceed $7-10k and travel.  When you start adding in the soft costs that are included at prep school, the cost may start to look reasonable if you can afford it. 
I am not a fan of my kid leaving a 14, and $40k a year doesn't sound reasonable to me, but I do think there are valid reasons to consider prep school as an option to playing in California.

go kings

• Mite
  • LR Justice +9/-6
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2017, 03:16:05 PM »

The Kings '03 team was 3rd in the Nation and beat #1 and #2 so if SSM is truly looking at the best of the best maybe they were taking the team rankings into consideration. Also, 5 SSM players were invited to the 2017 National Development Camp, only 1 person playing in California was invited and his dad played in the NHL.

glilv

• Mite
  • LR Justice +7/-0
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2017, 04:22:34 PM »

What am I missing?

[size=78%]  [/size]

The cost is more like $53-$55K with boarding

when you can play AAA here in CA for $7-10k and travel

You need to be able to get on the AAA team, especially when you get to a Midget level. Good luck with that.  See other posts related to that very sore subject.

#4BobbyOrr

• Midget
  • LR Justice +98/-106
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2017, 05:21:17 PM »
But the travel at that level can run you another 15k and if your kid is already going to private school then that could be another $20-30k so in that case it's not that different

Oilers1966

• Mite
  • LR Justice +28/-16
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2017, 05:25:11 PM »

So 6 kids left this team ?   That will impact this team next season against the tournament teams. Not so much in CAHA.

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2017, 12:52:16 AM »
First off, with travel costs, AAA is costing people in CA more than 7-10k.  A lot more for a top tier team that is traveling to play in the big showcase tournaments.  The families involved have all done this, so they know what they've paid. 

None of them are paying full price.  They are all receiving some significant level of financial aid.

Now I happen to know how SSM works, and the more they want your kid, the more they are likely to dip into their scholarship pool and offer up.  SSM starts to notice and recruit kids who have already shown that they are in the top percent of kids their age nationally.  I happen to know of 2 kids who went to SSM, that were recruited from the same Bantam minor team, went to SSM with substantial scholarships, and had multiple elite hockey program D1 scholarship offers.  One kid just played in the USHL playoffs, and the other is on the US Development team.  They paid less than what their travel hockey costs were, and of course not only played hockey, but got a private education.

The SSM teams play hockey for 7 months of the year and up to 70-ish games, so the Ice time is going to be on a completely different level from playing Tier.  We can pretend this approach doesn't work, or might offer a marginal value in comparison to traditional travel hockey, but then you'd have to pretend that the results don't back up the hype, when in fact they do.  SSM has won 24 national championships with it's roughly 8 Bantam, Midget and Girls teams.  And their alumni list is chock full of current NHL players.

Certainly many of these players are so good they very well might have made it to the same level of success but we'll never know, because they all attended SSM at least for a few years.