This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: SQ. BB 2017/2018  (Read 77039 times)

Lady Byng Guy

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-3
Re: SQ. BB 2017/2018
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2018, 10:32:49 AM »
Congratulations, SCAHA!  You just turned a group of 9 and 10 year-old kids into cynics.  I know these kids, and I know they worked their tails off to try to make the playoffs this year.  They upped their workouts, they went to extra stick times, and they won 4 of their last 5 games to qualify.  If it's one thing youth sports are supposed to teach our kids, it's that hard work and determination pay off.  Ask yourselves, what have you taught these kids today with this bureaucratic, overly complicated nonsense?  Seriously, arbitrarily taking two points from an 8 seed and not the 9 seed?  Did you even think this through?  As a Ducks' parent, I find this disgusting and shameful. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 10:41:17 AM by Lady Byng Guy »

LAhockey

• Mite
  • LR Justice +26/-25
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2018, 11:25:58 AM »
What is wrong with SCAHA. I wonder if anyone could do the right thing?   ???

Chris Carcerano
SCAHA Commisionerccarcerano@gmail.com
(949) 280-6774

Top Shelf

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-0
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2018, 12:32:16 PM »
Okay, got more info.

* The Lion's v Ice Dogs were scheduled to play 1/14/18.
The Lion's chose to play a MLK tournament that weekend.
According to Scaha rules, that should be a forfeit. It should have ended right there.

* There is a provision in the rules, I believe it is 27:15 which provides for a situation whereby if the regular schedule is unbalanced, there is a process to create equal numbers of games for all teams but this was not the case here. The Lion's v Ice Dogs game was on the regular schedule. The original schedule was balanced. One team could not make it on 1/14/18. Once again, that is a forfeit! Why should one team's decision to not play a game affect the other 18 teams in the division?
That makes zero sense.

* The standings were displayed on the Scaha site last night showing the Red Wings in 8th with 20 pts and the Ducks in 9th with 19 pts.
Later that night, the standings show the Ducks in 8th with 19th points and the RW in 9th place with 18 pts.
So what happened?
A bizarre decision was made to have each of the other 17 teams not invloved in the canceled game have 1 game not count in the standings in order for all teams to finish with 15 games. Why? A scheduled game was forfeited. There should have been no need for further action. 0 points to the team that forfeited and award points to the team that didn't forfeit according to Scaha rules.

* Even stranger, the game that was not going to count in the final standings was never disclosed to any of the 17 clubs but would be revealed after all of the secret/no count games had been played. WHAT?
Did the league bother to inform the clubs that this was happening? Of course not. It was kept under wraps and not even revealed until last night after the season was over.

Well apparently, by some remarkable coincidence, the Jan 7th game between the Wings and Ducks (Wings won 6-4) was selected as the game for the Wings that was not going to count in the standings. Really?  In short, the RW had an on ice win and 2 pts taken away while the Ducks had a loss removed and 0 pts taken away.
Puhlease!

* In short, only 1 team was affected by the decision to randomly/secretly have 1 game not count in the final standings and that team was the RW.
A few other playoff teams lost positioning but none of them have to deal with the heartbreak which the 9/10 yr olds from the RW will have to deal with after believing they had earned a playoff spot only to have it ripped away from them.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 09:17:59 PM by Top Shelf »

Bear71

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +34/-9
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2018, 01:55:00 PM »
Gotta like consistency.  In PWA, the Lady Ducks forfeited a game due to a tournament conflict, yet that result still is reflected.

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2018, 02:02:50 PM »
More SCAHA bullshit......

Thanksgiving Silver Stick regional tournament.
Jk beat Wave to get the western bid to finals in Ontario Canada. JK accepts bid seemingly giving Wave a forfit win, because game Vs Wave is that same weekend..  Weeks later Wave gets invite to same tournament.  Accepts bid, AFTER jk had already accepted.   SCAHA rules that both would forfit game.  Zero points for each.  One can argue that gsme was already forfited
And Wave could do whatever it wanted that weekend.  Of course since it involved one of the "Golden Child" teams, it didn' turn out that way.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 02:14:34 PM by trans4761 »

LAhockey

• Mite
  • LR Justice +26/-25
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2018, 03:19:40 PM »

Well apparently, by some remarkable coincidence, the Jan 7th game between the Wings and Ducks (Wings won 6-4) was selected as the game for those two teams that was not going to count in the standings. Really?  In short, the RW had an on ice win and 2 pts taken away while the Ducks had a loss removed and 0 pts taken away.
Puhlease!

If that is true it is even worse, they are sending a team that lost a head to head game to the playoffs and eliminating the team that won. What a bunch or royal A-holes.

Gretzky99

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2018, 06:40:54 PM »
They said since the Lions went to a CAHA weekend they canceled the game making an inbalance is schedule. The 18th and 19th teams only played 15 games so they took away a random game (bs) from each team and now the Ducks are in and the RW are out. Seems like a complete fair way to operate.

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2018, 07:15:56 PM »
What, did they go to watch the games?

Top Shelf

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-0
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2018, 07:55:30 PM »
They said since the Lions went to a CAHA weekend they canceled the game making an inbalance is schedule. The 18th and 19th teams only played 15 games so they took away a random game (bs) from each team and now the Ducks are in and the RW are out. Seems like a complete fair way to operate.

I don't care if they went to an NHL tryout......they violated a Scaha rule and should forfeit the game period!
The rule clearly states NO CANCELLATION OF A SCHEDULED GAME and all cancelled games will count as forfeits.
It doesn't say "No cancellation of a scheduled game with the exception of CAHA events." 
Has anyone bothered to shove this rule under their noses and asked them to wriggle their way out of it?

Here it is as written on the Scaha rules page.

27:10

No cancellations of games listed on the master schedule will be permitted. Any team refusing to play a game at any time in the preseason, regular season, or playoff seasons, will forfeit the game and pay forfeiture fees. 

Or perhaps this rule

Any Scaha team wishing to play in tournaments or exhibition games must notify the Scaha statistician in advance of proposed games. The Scaha statistician must give permission for these games to be played. These games must not interfere with Scaha preseason, regular season or league playoff games. Requests to play are automatically denied if the tournament games conflict with league scheduled games.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 08:33:56 PM by Top Shelf »

Bear71

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +34/-9
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2018, 09:04:49 PM »
Sooooooo, is the Red Wing board going to do anything about it or simply bow down to the system?

Avery19

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2018, 09:22:04 PM »
The RW definitely need to protest, as should all teams.   Otherwise, this could happen to any team in the future, and the regular season really means nothing if the “favorites” will always make it. 

Top Shelf

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-0
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2018, 09:31:50 PM »
The worst part is the Red Wings were completely unaware that finishing in a playoff position would not necessarily guarantee them a spot.
Scaha, should have notified all teams 2 months ago  that there would be a game subtracted from their record at some undisclosed (yeah, I'm serious) date.
 These games which were to be subtracted from the 17 clubs, occurred in early January so the league had plenty of time to inform teams of what they were doing as a result of the canceled game (should have been a forfeit) between the Lions and Ice Dogs.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 09:16:38 AM by Top Shelf »

hockeydad21

• Mite
  • LR Justice +7/-0
« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2018, 08:06:12 AM »
SCAHA has decided pull some strings again to benefit the Ducks and screw over the Red Wings. Because months ago the bottom ranked lions and ice dogs had a game canceled, scaha decided to remove a game from every team. All of the top 8 teams had a win removed. But miraculously the 9th place Ducks had a loss removed so now the Red Wings drop to 9 and the Ducks move to 8. Scaha of course does it at the last minute when the Ducks were about to miss the playoffs. I’d be pissed if I were the Red Wings. Scaha cooked the books on the website last night and hoped no one would notice.
I heard this second hand so take it with a grain of salt.
This is major BS.

no way. I feel there has to be another side to the story. That's too egregious.

Avery19

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2018, 08:07:13 AM »
Has SCAHA issued an official explanation?  I’d like to hear how the cancelled games were selected. 

fistocuffs

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +40/-61
« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2018, 11:21:33 AM »
I am pretty sure you do not just cancel SCAHA A/B games.
Either they are a forfeit, or they have to be played (rescheduled) - if there were other circumstances.. (like a fire, missing refs, loss of ice, etc).

It needed to be either a forfeit, or a makeup game created.

The option of removing games seems a very backward way to solve an issue where one team could not show up.   
Not clear that Squirt players in CAHA Girls rules have any mandated tournaments like  the higher levels.

Sounds like a completely botched effort from start to finish.

I would protest the crap out of it.