This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: What AA Bantam Teams for 2018-19?  (Read 287972 times)

socalhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +31/-57
Re: What AA Bantam Teams for 2018-19?
« Reply #150 on: May 31, 2018, 04:59:34 PM »
You don’t have to be a great hockey player to go to prep school.  Any prep school will take your kid as long as they have room and you’ve got the money. It’s not going to get your kid to the NHL. Just like if you have money for AAA go for it. Doesn’t mean AAA has the best skilled kids on the team. Those that can fill wallets. SMH! What has California hockey become?

Sounds like a lot of people who either dont have any kids going to prep school, didnt goto a prep school or not playing AAA...a lot of internet angry folks!

So my 2 cents...

No, ANY Prep school will NOT take your kid as long as they have room and you have money...unless its what, Tahoe since they are building a program? What a wrong statement...most prep schools have pretty specific academic guidelines and are we talking about going to a prep school or playing hockey at a prep school? So, lets talk about Prep schools in New England and Midwest. MOST, that focus on athletics as well as education, have pretty decent hockey programs...yes, not a top tier program that will get you to the NHL but a good competitive program like you would find in a good high school league. Also, forget NHL - talk about college, the goal of a good prep school should be to get your kid to a good college and hockey can 100% be part of that, yes maybe we arent talking going to Boston U but most prep schools have a good pipeline to good colleges. Now, will your kid play hockey for a college? Depends on the college and how good your kid is of course. Now, it does all come down to money because Prep schools are very expensive but if your kid is a true AAA level player I think most would find the cost difference between playing AAA for the Kings or going to a Prep school to not be as much as you think...plus, they are hopefully getting a top flight education that will lead to a great college...so, is the extra 20 or 30 grand worth it? Depends and there is no wrong answer for YOUR family...f everyone else, they are just stuck in the South Bay trying to find an 18AA team to play for.

glilv

• Mite
  • LR Justice +7/-0
« Reply #151 on: May 31, 2018, 05:11:48 PM »
Great point.
I agree, prep schools won't just take your kid, even if grades are there and you're willing to pay.
There are a lot of bright kids and a lot of parents that are willing to pay for good education.  Your kid needs to be "a well rounded individual".  He or she has to be a good student and a good athlete and that particular school has to have a need for a "Forward" or a "defensemen" or a "goalie", otherwise your kid won't get accepted or won't get any financial aid.
Having a coach speak on your behalf is way better than calling "cold turkey".
BTW, Peter Torsson is an excellent coach.

Strawman

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-47
« Reply #152 on: May 31, 2018, 05:59:46 PM »
Prep schools won't just take anyone who can pay, nor is there any coach in California who can sprinkle magic dust over his players to get them on a prep school team that is objectively worth leaving the state to play on.  The player needs to be a solid AAA caliber player (at least), a good student, and a well-rounded person.  It's rare for freshmen and sophomores even to get a whiff of the "A" team (i.e., the "Varsity" or "Prep" team) at NE schools with the better programs, and it's standard operating procedure for them to be told they need to repeat a grade, and gain size and strength, before getting a look (whoops, there goes another 60 or 70 grand down the drain).  There's a good chance your little superstar will get a very nasty surprise after relocating, when he finds out he's been stuck on the "B" or "C" team and might have been better off staying at home.  We hear so much about the kids who leave every year, but less about the ones who turn around and come back home after checking it out.  [size=78%]If you're thinking NE schools, you also have to be willing to accept that it's a three month, 20-25 game season.  If your kid wants to play more than that, then he or she will also have to play on a travel team out there, which adds another whole layer of complexity and expense.[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]It's absolutely the right thing for some families, but it's also way too much the flavor of the month.[/size]

Knuckle Puck

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +56/-11
« Reply #153 on: May 31, 2018, 06:26:33 PM »
Use some mouthwash to get the tast of Peety out of your mouth. I don' know Peety personally, but I heard he' an outstanding coach.  To his credit, he found a niche that parents would eat up.  Hate to break it to you but if you want your lil Greyzky to go to prep school he can get in......as long as you open your wallet.   I know there are some schools that are the exception, but not the norm. Also, if you think you 4 foot 5 stick handler is going to improve his chances to going in the show, your as bright as a box of rocks. Even if you kid is top 10 at his $70k/ year prep school, he will most likely be playing at the Ducks adult league at 10pm on wed  night vs the guy that played Midget A and is now a $300k/year businessman.

No kid who is g
ood at hockey or needs aid pays list price for prep school. Majority of schools cover at least 50% w/ average family looking at $25k-$30k tuition; not hugely more than all-in cost of 8 flyaway weekend Midget AAA season. Facilities, ice time, coaching, travel, exposure is far superior at most preps.  Top 10 kid at a prep school has good chance of at least getting to Jr. A, if not Major Jr., NCAA D3 or D1 brass ring. And if hockey doesn't work out, education received at the likes of Choate, Andover, Shattuck, Tilton, Groton, Culver, Holderness (all schools that Cali players currently attend) is excellent and maybe life changing. With [size=78%]CAHA limiting SoCal AAA spots to 30 skaters per birth year, of course kids will look elsewhere. Silly CAHA![/size]
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 07:31:51 PM by Knuckle Puck »

Fowlmood

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-34
« Reply #154 on: June 01, 2018, 08:14:26 AM »
One doesn't need prep school to play Jr. A

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #155 on: June 01, 2018, 08:36:37 AM »
One doesn't need prep school to play Jr. A
Correct, You need to be good and get the right exposure.

Going to the prep route is a path.

Maverick

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +27/-11
« Reply #156 on: June 01, 2018, 08:52:39 AM »
Getting to Prep School is more important to some families than winning a banner. Who has better contacts and track record there than Torsson? Certainly nobody else at Bantam level. Torsson's got a great calling card considering the political mess that Midget AAA has become, leading an increasing # of kids to leave Cali each year. If the over/under for 2003s leaving the state is 3 dozen, I might take the over. Bad look for CAHA.
Knucklehead,
Use some mouthwash to get the tast of Peety out of your mouth. I don' know Peety personally, but I heard he' an outstanding coach.  To his credit, he found a niche that parents would eat up.  Hate to break it to you but if you want your lil Greyzky to go to prep school he can get in......as long as you open your wallet.   I know there are some schools that are the exception, but not the norm. Also, if you think you 4 foot 5 stick handler is going to improve his chances to going in the show, your as bright as a box of rocks. Even if you kid is top 10 at his $70k/ year prep school, he will most likely be playing at the Ducks adult league at 10pm on wed  night vs the guy that played Midget A and is now a $300k/year businessman.

Ding Ding Ding....winner for todays post of the day even though its still early

InDZone

• Mite
  • LR Justice +4/-2
« Reply #157 on: June 01, 2018, 09:36:38 AM »
Is it true that there is a lot of FREE hockey going around in OC? rumor has it that that is how Empire lost some of their kids!!!

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #158 on: June 01, 2018, 10:06:25 AM »
Is it true that there is a lot of FREE hockey going around in OC? rumor has it that that is how Empire lost some of their kids!!!
Was wondering what the allure was lately, now it makes sense.
( If it's true)

Deuce

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +6/-4
« Reply #159 on: June 01, 2018, 10:13:34 AM »

I heard something similar too. Heard a certain team may be giving players discounts for recruiting last years teammates.

InDZone

• Mite
  • LR Justice +4/-2
« Reply #160 on: June 01, 2018, 10:30:44 AM »

I heard something similar too. Heard a certain team may be giving players discounts for recruiting last years teammates.

I'm hearing it from a few different people so I guess it's not just a rumor.

dionnefan

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +18/-9
« Reply #161 on: June 01, 2018, 10:41:32 AM »
Knucklehead,

Peety has done an awesome job moving kids on to prep school. For some, not only does Prep school offer a great education, it offers some great hockey which doesn't interfere with the academics! And yes, the cost to play/attend isn't much more (possibly less) than playing Ducks/Kings AAA when you factor in Airfare, hotels, rental cars, clinics, privates (all free at the prep school) access to a gym and the ability to enjoy stick time/extra ice time especially on the weekends (again, all free).

Here is a quiz for you:

The USHL recently had their draft; Phase one (2002's only - 160 players taken) and Phase two (open to all unsigned free agent players older than 2002 - approximately 300 taken)

Of the approximately 460 players taken, how many were actually playing in California when they were drafted? I believe 5.

http://draft.ushl.com/
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 10:43:57 AM by dionnefan »

TopCorns88

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-2
« Reply #162 on: June 01, 2018, 11:06:12 AM »

I'm hearing it from a few different people so I guess it's not just a rumor.

That seems crazy to me... Is this normal?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 11:06:44 AM by TopCorns88 »

healthy scratch

• Mite
  • LR Justice +6/-4
« Reply #163 on: June 01, 2018, 11:19:23 AM »
Paying for talent (or paying for recruitment of talent) kinda takes the “Amateur” out of California Amateur Hockey Association, doesn’t it... ;-)

Teemu8

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +32/-18
« Reply #164 on: June 01, 2018, 11:33:32 AM »
Who is offering this and how do I get in on it?  Quick before tryouts tonight!