This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: What AA Bantam Teams for 2018-19?  (Read 287992 times)

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
Re: What AA Bantam Teams for 2018-19?
« Reply #345 on: August 16, 2018, 02:39:15 PM »
You guys are crazy fun because of how sensitive you are. 

I grow bored talking to the same people with different screen names. 

Enjoy your season this will all be over before we know it...

Voice in ur head

• Mite
  • LR Justice +29/-15
« Reply #346 on: August 16, 2018, 03:33:49 PM »
We are not the same people. We may have similar views but not the same. Perhaps you should look at yourself. You seem to be the one with much angst against someone you have not played for in some time. I hope for your sake you find a way to let it go, cuz carrying it all this time will only cause you more and more problems. Like John Lennon said “ Imagine “ if you just let it go

InDZone

• Mite
  • LR Justice +4/-2
« Reply #347 on: August 16, 2018, 03:43:37 PM »
My kid played a season for Wada, I was one of the asst. coaches, and I cannot once remember Wada ever yelling or trying to intimidate a kid. That's not his style. He's got strengths, he's got weaknesses, but labeling him a screamer is baseless. 

Enjoy the season; your kiddos' hockey careers are way closer to their ends than their beginnings. Back to hibernation.

Here you go Skating Dad...someone that his kid played for in the past and does not agree with your statements.

Seems to be that you are the one with the issue or as I stated before bitterness.

justanotherhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +59/-56
« Reply #348 on: August 16, 2018, 04:29:01 PM »
My kid also played for Wada for 1 season. While I can't speak for others' experience, I can say that my kid and my family had a fantastic year with Wada. I asked my kid just now if Wada ever intimidated/yelled at him or his teammates, and he said Wada actually hardly yelled at them at all. I think Wada is a good communicator, well at least with me he was... I have heard some parents say that Wada never talks to them, and that is the complete opposite experience I had (Trev, we still good right? Call me maybe...  :'( ) I think his coaching style, along with his assistant coach (who was excellent both on and off-ice) was fair and kids have to be accountable for their performance. I believe most if not all kids got their fair share of playing time. Sometime he likes the good cop/bad cop approach and let his assistant teach just so the kids get to hear a different voice in the locker room.

WW has always been able to attract talented players and this Wave team's records speak for itself. Wada deserves a lot of the credit.

As for the Wave parents, while I'm no longer sure what my standing is with some of them, I can say that they're all good people. They've tried hard to assimilate me but my 'allergy' to alcohol made it pretty much impossible... Very tight knit group, with strong opinions and if they like you, they will let you know, and if they don't, you better watch out! All I can say is I will miss them... or maybe my mind will change after this weekend  ;D
Skating Dad, I think I know who you're (we met recently) and if I'm correct, your kid was never with this group of Wave kids, or maybe prior to PWA? You're entitled to your opinion of course and I respect that. I'm just here to chime in my two cents about our experience.

King4life

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-72
« Reply #349 on: August 16, 2018, 04:38:47 PM »
Wada couldn't hold Peter T's jock when it comes to coaching.

justanotherhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +59/-56
« Reply #350 on: August 16, 2018, 04:43:58 PM »
Wada couldn't hold Peter T's jock when it comes to coaching.
Well, I don't know anything about holding anybody's jock, but coaching success/failure are all relative... great coaches don't always win it all and sometimes a 'lesser' coach may have better 'success' on the surface, but I think if your kid is developing as a player and a young adult under a coach, that should be the enough to consider a coach has done his/her job.

Hockey sophist

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +50/-98
« Reply #351 on: August 16, 2018, 05:06:07 PM »
@ SkatingDad - Clearly your experience with Wada was not a good one, but your comments lead me to believe that you haven't spent a significant portion of time with him.
I have, and while he's not the perfect coach (don't believe there is such a thing), he is a good coach and the right coach for my son.  Under Wada's coaching, my son has developed tremendously and is playing the best I have ever seen him play, and this is due to my son's hard work, and the coaching he receives from Wada and his staff.  Have the assistant coaches contributed positively to WW success - Sure, why else would they be brought in, but they are not the only reason. 

Wada has developed a culture of expectation and consequences for not meeting expectation.  Every player has been held accountable for ON and OFF ice performance, and playing time has been adjusted for not meeting that expectation.  He is a good fit for my son, and the core group that have played with him for many seasons, and if you ask the parents, they will tell you that their sons want to play for Wada.
As far as his style, if you think your little gretzky isn't going to face yelling and intimidation in life outside of hockey, then your son is in for a big surprise.  Our kids are playing the greatest game in the world, working hard and learning life lessons that will extend and prepare them for future adversity.

There is a lid for every pot. 

The point is you do not have to put up with yelling and intimidation, it always ends badly.
I just don't agree that it is intimidation
Setting an expectation that you will play a certain way and with 100% effort, or your playing time will be reduced is NOT intimidation.
No different than if you don't get XXX done at work, you could lose your job - Not intimidation.
Do you have specific examples of Wada intimidation???
Fascinating discussion.   My son has now played for Wada Wave for about 3 months.   He had a coach last year that not only yelled but scapegoated players for making mistakes and for his own mistakes.   This coach had favorites based on who knows what, did lot of punishment skates at practices, and expected players to execute his system in a mechanical, unthinking fashion.   

We once played a Memorial Day tournament with a coach who yelled and spit in face of young players.   There is some awful coaching out there.   But Coach Wada is not one of those coaches.   Unrelated to this discussion, my son observed last night that one of the things he likes most about Trevor Wada is that he respects his players and they respect him in return.   That is a big deal.    It is possible to yell and hold a player responsible without demeaning them as a person or blaming them unfairly for their own mistakes.

We both like that Trevor Wada teaches and corrects mistakes in practice calmly.    He attracts players with a team-first mentality not a "star" mindset.   His practices are organized and efficient, e.g., a minimal amount of standing around.  He focuses on mistakes of the previous game or scrimmage and seeks to correct them with efficiency not theatrics.   The locker room is appropriate for the age but so far without drama or factions.   There is nearly always some fun activity at the end of practice.   There seems to be even now a sense of accountability but also a really good culture evolving.   

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
« Reply #352 on: August 16, 2018, 06:11:23 PM »

One last post one this topic and then I’m done with it.  I will talk to anyone that wants to in person.

To set the record strait, my boy played 2 seasons with WW. He was never the object of his affection so to speak. He was a productive player on the team and was awarded player of the game 3-5 times (don’t really remember). However, my boy has a good since of right and wrong. He did not like the way Wada treated the other boys. He made a very mature decision to leave the team even though it meant leaving his friends.  I made sure I explained to him what it meant to make that move and he went trough with it.  Since then we have been on some winning teams, mediocre teams and a losing team.  He has played for about 8 coaches including tournament teams and spring league and had lessons with about the same number. Each year has been a fight to make teams. I believe this has only made him a better person and player. Wada by far is the worst coach he has ever played for.

I  am bitter but, not for the reasons some of you think.  I’m bitter because the club continues to have a coach who had a history of verbally abusing kids. I’m bitter because he has  caused 2-3 kids (that I know of) to quit the best game in the world and many others have been in the verge of quoting.  He has a loyal follow of people who think his behavior is funny and think he walks on water. Many of the parents think they own this board and are fine with bashing others but,  can not take any heat themselves.

As Paul Harvey said, “That is the rest of the story.”

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #353 on: August 16, 2018, 06:45:10 PM »

One last post one this topic and then I’m done with it.  I will talk to anyone that wants to in person.

To set the record strait, my boy played 2 seasons with WW. He was never the object of his affection so to speak. He was a productive player on the team and was awarded player of the game 3-5 times (don’t really remember). However, my boy has a good since of right and wrong. He did not like the way Wada treated the other boys. He made a very mature decision to leave the team even though it meant leaving his friends.  I made sure I explained to him what it meant to make that move and he went trough with it.  Since then we have been on some winning teams, mediocre teams and a losing team.  He has played for about 8 coaches including tournament teams and spring league and had lessons with about the same number. Each year has been a fight to make teams. I believe this has only made him a better person and player. Wada by far is the worst coach he has ever played for.

I  am bitter but, not for the reasons some of you think.  I’m bitter because the club continues to have a coach who had a history of verbally abusing kids. I’m bitter because he has  caused 2-3 kids (that I know of) to quit the best game in the world and many others have been in the verge of quoting.  He has a loyal follow of people who think his behavior is funny and think he walks on water. Many of the parents think they own this board and are fine with bashing others but,  can not take any heat themselves.

You see things through Wada hating glasses,  your opinion. Wada is not gor everyone.  The exsmple i used to tell people is this.  If when your kids get in trouble in school and you automaticslly say " What did your teacher do ? Like it was the teachers fault,  this team is not for you. This team is not for parents who take this too seriously, thin skined or hall monitor mentality. Its not you kid that was a square peg on s round hole, but you.  And that's ok.  Not everyone likes me either (even though i csnt see why).  Hope your  not playing any Queen music ss you put on lip stick while looking at your Trevor poster

Strawman

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-47
« Reply #354 on: August 16, 2018, 06:55:58 PM »

SkatingDad, if your kid is a bantam and has already had 8 coaches, that means either he needs help or you do. Maybe start by checking your medication, which seems to be really off today. Bottom line, don’t blame the coach, especially not a successful one who has no trouble attracting good players year in and year out who won a state championship pretty recently.

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
« Reply #355 on: August 16, 2018, 07:02:55 PM »

You see things through Wada hating glasses,  your opinion. Wada is not gor everyone.  The exsmple i used to tell people is this.  If when your kids get in trouble in school and you automaticslly say " What did your teacher do ? Like it was the teachers fault,  this team is not for you. This team is not for parents who take this too seriously, thin skined or hall monitor mentality. Its not you kid that was a square peg on s round hole, but you.  And that's ok.  Not everyone likes me either (even though i csnt see why).  Hope your  not playing any Queen music ss you put on lip stick while looking at your Trevor poster

I can not imagine why anyone would not like you ether  :)

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
« Reply #356 on: August 16, 2018, 07:05:29 PM »

SkatingDad, if your kid is a bantam and has already had 8 coaches, that means either he needs help or you do. Maybe start by checking your medication, which seems to be really off today. Bottom line, don’t blame the coach, especially not a successful one who has no trouble attracting good players year in and year out who won a state championship pretty recently.

It is not hard to play for that many coaches if you play for a primarily major birth year team one year and a primarily minor birth year team the next.  You can not move up and can not move down.  Met some great people along the way though.

Voice in ur head

• Mite
  • LR Justice +29/-15
« Reply #357 on: August 16, 2018, 07:13:28 PM »
One last question SD, if it was your son’s decision to leave the team and he was doing pretty darn well to get player of the 3-5 times, then why are YOU so angry with this coach when none of it truly affected you or your son?

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #358 on: August 16, 2018, 07:20:45 PM »
Does anyone know when we will get the jamboree schedule?

First two games have been released.

King4life

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-72
« Reply #359 on: August 16, 2018, 07:42:03 PM »
So glad my kid is no longer a Bantam.  Now I can be a creeper like Pistonkev and troll the Bantam pages.  Trans sir, next time you highlight a comment and post behind it "lol", make sure you change your screen name.  Go back a couple posts and you will see what I'm referring to.  I think Skating DAD caught it.