This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: FYI - New Families moving to SoCal  (Read 16484 times)

CaliBound

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-0
FYI - New Families moving to SoCal
« on: June 03, 2018, 09:14:46 AM »
I've debated posting this but feel it's probably warranted for those hockey families looking to get their kid onto a higher rep team.  My kid went through tryout this past Friday with one of the bigger associations.  My kid didn't make the cut even though the performance was on par with the rest of the kids.  So it was definitely an eye opening and somewhat heartbreaking experience. 
That being said, if you still have not moved to the area and are flying in to have your kid tryout there are a few things you have to know.  If you don't have the resources to attend the weekly clinics, you're at a severe disadvantage.  Is your kid exceptionally better than the kid who played for the same coach last year?  If not then forget about it because the coach is going to go with who he's familiar with.  You need to be honest with yourself about your kid's ability.  Also, you have to understand that the coach is not only selecting the kid, they are selecting the parent as well.  You haven't bonded with the coach at the rink or at the hotel during tournaments.  So you and your kid are equally unknown quantities.   The coach is going to choose who they buddied up with over the past seasons. 
IMHO, if you think your kid is good enough to play, then consider the smaller associations.  I feel bad for the families who fly from various parts of the continent, don't make the cut and are scrambling and frantic to find their kid a team.  Hockey is already expensive enough, but having to fly in for your tryouts is even more of a burden.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 05:23:37 AM by CaliBound »

socalhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +31/-57
Re: FYI - New Families moving to SoCal
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 09:50:21 AM »
I feel for you...and totally understand your frustration. socal hockey is ridiculous in many ways...

Out of curiosity, did you reach out to any coaches before showing up to tryouts?

• Midget
  • LR Justice +36/-53
  • So how about it boys? Look like hockey to you?
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 10:28:00 AM »
Totally agree with initial post.  That being said, if your child has a pedigree, there are clubs that will take him or her on that basis alone. Not too late to work the phones today...

CaliBound

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 10:47:44 AM »
I feel for you...and totally understand your frustration. socal hockey is ridiculous in many ways...

Out of curiosity, did you reach out to any coaches before showing up to tryouts?

I did not.  We did attend one clinic over spring break, but that's not even going to get 1/1000 of your foot in the door.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 10:54:14 AM by CaliBound »

socalhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +31/-57
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 11:27:31 AM »

I did not.  We did attend one clinic over spring break, but that's not even going to get 1/1000 of your foot in the door.

I get it...tough for even semi-local kids to break into certain rosters. Spring here for PW's is nuts between various club spring teams that lead into memorial day and then tryouts...and then programs like the Patriots. That being said, you shouldnt have a problem finding an decent AA program if the Kings / Ducks didnt work out. A lot of teams are running short rosters...just all depends on where you live and how far you want to commute.

ABCDE

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +25/-8
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 10:06:18 PM »
I, too, agree with your post.  There are some coaches who have their teams picked regardless of who shows up to tryouts, with some going so far as not wanting any new faces at their tryouts.  Big clubs seem to lean that way more, but it all varies per coach.  I watched a coach another year who thought he had his team mostly sewn up faced with a dozen or so faces he'd never seen before at tryouts.  He went with the unknown but better talented players and displaced some of his long time players.  Unfortunately, those kids went scrambling, but the coach did what was best for his team and also made calls to other coaches to help get those kids placed.  The coaches that won't even look are frustrating.  Make some calls to coaches.  Their contact information are on the team pages and arrange a skate.  Also check this board for team's looking for players.  A lot of teams still need players, but be sure to ask how many are already rostered.  Some coaches have no issue adding players to an already full team, leading to less ice time.  So Cal is a very different hockey market.  Anyone looking to move this way should reach out to coaches in advance, make a game video, and arrange a recommendation call from the existing coach.  Good luck to your player and welcome to So Cal! 

SDhockeydad07

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-2
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 05:29:02 PM »
At all of the bigger associations, the teams for next year are picked (for the most part) in January/February.  Usually only a couple spots are open on any of the higher level (tier) teams, if that. And coaches usually know the 5-6 kids that they want to look at for the final couple spots.  Everyone else is ignored for the most part.

No matter how much your kid improved over the tail end of the season.

No matter how much your kid rocks the tryout.

Didn't get along with the coach from last season (or the parents of a one of the good players whose parents snuggle up to the coaches)?  That's going to affect your making a tier team next season too (even if it's a completely different coach's team)

It's rink politics and a bunch of bullshit, but it is what it is.

It sucks, but in the end it's still your kid's game. You're kid will make friends and have fun, eventually.  The parents might be more fun on the lower level team too! As well, one season of lower level hockey could also aid his development.  Being "the man" on a lower level team and getting experience playing in all situations vs not as much playing time at a higher level has it's benefit too.

...but not everyone would agree with me  ;D
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 05:30:39 PM by SDhockeydad07 »

CaliBound

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 10:07:23 AM »
At all of the bigger associations, the teams for next year are picked (for the most part) in January/February.  Usually only a couple spots are open on any of the higher level (tier) teams, if that. And coaches usually know the 5-6 kids that they want to look at for the final couple spots.  Everyone else is ignored for the most part.

No matter how much your kid improved over the tail end of the season.

No matter how much your kid rocks the tryout.

Didn't get along with the coach from last season (or the parents of a one of the good players whose parents snuggle up to the coaches)?  That's going to affect your making a tier team next season too (even if it's a completely different coach's team)

It's rink politics and a bunch of bullshit, but it is what it is.

It sucks, but in the end it's still your kid's game. You're kid will make friends and have fun, eventually.  The parents might be more fun on the lower level team too! As well, one season of lower level hockey could also aid his development.  Being "the man" on a lower level team and getting experience playing in all situations vs not as much playing time at a higher level has it's benefit too.

...but not everyone would agree with me  ;D

Completely agree with playing at a lower level.  I'm seriously thinking about putting my kid into house so that we can work on improving and just play for fun for the year.  I don't know, but the lobbying/gamesmanship to get my kid to play PeeWee has kind of soured me on the whole entire process in SoCal.  It's definitely not what we are used to.  This is me bitching, but you have enough associations here that you could conceivably set up something they have in BC where you have to play for your neighborhood association rather than being a mercernary.

jvreagan

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-3
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 10:42:52 AM »
"conceivably set up something they have in BC where you have to play for your neighborhood association rather than being a mercernary."

Oh man to get Cali to think about the BC model - especially flighting - would be great.  Although in BC they get around the playing local with associations like BWC and NSWC.

• Midget
  • LR Justice +36/-53
  • So how about it boys? Look like hockey to you?
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 10:47:39 AM »
If your player is AA quality but did not make the cut last week, in house is not just a waste of time, but completely counter productive.  Work the phones this week (and have your old coach put in some calls to vouch for you), for either a smaller club AA team or for an A team (those try outs are this week).  Or once your move is complete, get your player in front of some AA coaches -- all but the top few teams should be willing to consider adding on or upgrading at a position.  Last season, my son's team added at least one AA player sight unseen and added on two others in August.

hockeymom48

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-3
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 10:59:05 AM »
Check out the Scaha.com site for list of clubs. Some of the clubs have openings listed on their club site. Don't know where you are located, but hockey in so cal usually requires driving the freeway system here. I heard Pasadena is putting a peewee AA team together and tryouts are thus weekend.

dionnefan

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +18/-9
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 11:51:22 AM »
Take it from someone who has been through 9 seasons of tryouts....

Showing up to any tryout with limited exposure to the coach is a risky proposition for both parties. From the parent's point of view, what happens if your player happens to have an off day and isn't showing his best skill and ability? As others have said, most top tier teams have a pretty solid core of players and typically are only looking to add few if any players. To walk in a tryout as an unknown commodity  and try and convince a coach to cut one of his current, loyal players is a tall order.

To be successful, here is the approach I have always taken: Show up to clinics and/or privates well in advance in order to give the coach plenty of opportunity to get to know your player. Then, before the tryout speak with the coach about what you're are looking for and what his thoughts are. Typically, coaches will be honest with you and tell you where your player stands and what his/her chances are of making the team.

If you are geographically unable to do this, I would certainly call the coach and have a dialogue with him. Ask him what you can do to receive consideration, whether he'll want video, or to speak with past coaches or maybe for you to come out once or twice before the tryouts.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 11:52:43 AM by dionnefan »

Nowhearthis

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +26/-12
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2018, 03:50:49 PM »
My advice, don't panic.  You will get through this just fine.   We have been on many teams that added players as late as early December.  Real games don't usually start until October but practices will start by August.   Move out here and go to some privates and clinics and see if they can help you with who will let you skate with a team's practices to check you out.  You will get the lay of the land quickly and also figure out who your friends are, and how far you might be willing to drive in our wonderful traffic.

Landshark

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +77/-47
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2018, 04:16:48 PM »
And he has two kids in the sport, so really it’s 18 tryouts!!!

CaliBound

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-0
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2018, 07:49:08 PM »
"conceivably set up something they have in BC where you have to play for your neighborhood association rather than being a mercernary."

Oh man to get Cali to think about the BC model - especially flighting - would be great.  Although in BC they get around the playing local with associations like BWC and NSWC.

Funny, I just spoke to somebody who used to coach at NSWC and said the rink politics were terrible.  He only lasted 1 season!