This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: PeeWee A 2018/2019  (Read 104701 times)

SDhockeydad07

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-2
Re: PeeWee A 2018/2019
« Reply #135 on: December 04, 2018, 02:48:38 PM »
Wow the "real team" (flyers) tied a 17th place team.  :'(
Who has the explaination for that game?

That same 17th place team (Empire HC, for those too lazy to look it up on SCAHA), lost to Kings1 by only a goal.  The same Kings1 team that most here have anointed as the favorites to win the whole PWA division. Empire, like many PWA teams, has a few players on it that are really good, and then the rest of the roster is filled with decent, but unremarkable players. Some days, they all show up to play, and some days they don't.  Maybe the JK team had gas-station sushi before the game?  ...or maybe there is a bit more parity in this division than originally thought.

2 Cups in LA

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +8/-31
« Reply #136 on: December 04, 2018, 03:45:47 PM »
SDHockeyDad07 "Nice Rant" to nowhere!   Keep your eye the fizzling Gulls PWA teams.   Your boys had a rough weekend.   Don't give Empire too much credit?  Every dog has its day, even the Mutts!   

Maverick

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +27/-11
« Reply #137 on: December 04, 2018, 04:01:59 PM »
If the Kings 1 is so good, then how the hell did they only beat the last place lowly Saints 4-2?  Another bad lunch?  Wave is a better team than the Kings.  Oh no I forgot to "quote" something...

JustAnotherHockeyParent

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +1/-4
« Reply #138 on: December 11, 2018, 05:23:49 AM »
Well we are about 1/2 way through the season... biggest surprise so far? Predictions for second half?

It may not hold throughout the rest of the season, but at this stage I'm surprised to see PW A Wave #1 ranked higher than all of the PW AA Flight 2 teams. Kings PW A (#1) are also ranked higher than some of the PW AA Flight 2 teams. Is this normal?

2 Cups in LA

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +8/-31
« Reply #139 on: December 11, 2018, 01:10:34 PM »
Maybe they should be playing in PWA division where they belong?   

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #140 on: December 11, 2018, 02:22:18 PM »
Well we are about 1/2 way through the season... biggest surprise so far? Predictions for second half?

It may not hold throughout the rest of the season, but at this stage I'm surprised to see PW A Wave #1 ranked higher than all of the PW AA Flight 2 teams. Kings PW A (#1) are also ranked higher than some of the PW AA Flight 2 teams. Is this normal?
Hate to break it to you guys,  but the rankings dont mean shit.

JustAnotherHockeyParent

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +1/-4
« Reply #141 on: December 11, 2018, 02:36:05 PM »
On what basis do you say that? Are you also saying the Wave 1 team doesn't deserve to be ranked as the top team in PW A?

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
« Reply #142 on: December 11, 2018, 03:22:47 PM »
The coach of that team would tell you the same...

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #143 on: December 11, 2018, 04:42:11 PM »
On what basis do you say that? Are you also saying the Wave 1 team doesn't deserve to be ranked as the top team in PW A?
Experiance..   Not saying they are the best or not.

Thay are a  very good team.  Could they beat some PW AA teams? Probably.   Can they get their asses handed to them by most PW AA teams ?, probably.  Rankings are computer algorithms.   Few years ago, another Wave team won States.  There were a California team that they had beat several times and was still ranked ahead of them.  Also a few teams that they had beaten in tournaments that were also ranked higher.

If it makes you feel good, thump your chest for now.

RANKINGS DONT MEAN SHIT

JustAnotherHockeyParent

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +1/-4
« Reply #144 on: December 11, 2018, 07:06:22 PM »
Maybe you just don't understand the nature of rankings... they aren't guarantees of outcomes... rather they are meant to identify the probabilities of outcomes. With Wave 1 having a record of 23-0-1, and winning their regional Silver Stick tournament, I think it is fair to say they deserve to lead in the SCAHA PW A rankings. It certainly doesn't guarantee they will win any game they play (and there will always be upsets-- that is why the game is played in the first place), but if their ranking is higher than their opponent, then they are more likely to win.

Strawman

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-47
« Reply #145 on: December 11, 2018, 11:32:33 PM »
Maybe you just don't understand the nature of rankings... they aren't guarantees of outcomes... rather they are meant to identify the probabilities of outcomes. With Wave 1 having a record of 23-0-1, and winning their regional Silver Stick tournament, I think it is fair to say they deserve to lead in the SCAHA PW A rankings. It certainly doesn't guarantee they will win any game they play (and there will always be upsets-- that is why the game is played in the first place), but if their ranking is higher than their opponent, then they are more likely to win.

And maybe you don't understand statistics very well. Their reliability depends on a lot of variables, including sample sizes, which are too small in PWA for rankings to have much predictive value if any, except at the extremes.  But rankings make parents feel good, which is always the most important thing.

JustAnotherHockeyParent

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +1/-4
« Reply #146 on: December 12, 2018, 03:58:47 AM »
But I do understand statistics, and also understand that the rankings scores represent expected outcomes that are subject to variability and distribution patterns about them... and understand the data used to inform the models are often limited.  The rankings aren't perfect, nor are they fully predictive, but at least they're objective. I'll take them most any day over your WAGs!

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #147 on: December 12, 2018, 06:52:34 AM »
But I do understand statistics, and also understand that the rankings scores represent expected outcomes that are subject to variability and distribution patterns about them... and understand the data used to inform the models are often limited.  The rankings aren't perfect, nor are they fully predictive, but at least they're objective. I'll take them most any day over your WAGs!

QUE ES WAGS ???

socalhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +31/-57
« Reply #148 on: December 12, 2018, 09:05:27 AM »
Experiance..   Not saying they are the best or not.

Thay are a  very good team.  Could they beat some PW AA teams? Probably.   Can they get their asses handed to them by most PW AA teams ?, probably.  Rankings are computer algorithms.   Few years ago, another Wave team won States.  There were a California team that they had beat several times and was still ranked ahead of them.  Also a few teams that they had beaten in tournaments that were also ranked higher.

If it makes you feel good, thump your chest for now.

RANKINGS DONT MEAN SHIT

When someone says rankings don't mean shit, it usually means their team sucks...

Hockeydad30

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-0
« Reply #149 on: December 12, 2018, 10:26:51 AM »
So all this talk about how good Wave 1 team is (which I will say as well they are good and I would say arguably the best in the division) but has anyone actually looked at the roster of the team.  Last year PWA team Wave 1 went to states and lost in the finals.  With that being said this years team has 7 return players from last season and also picked up 5 return players from other PWA teams.  That begs the question with 12 return PWA players and only 6 that didn't play PWA last season why is that team playing down in PWA again this season? 

I would expect as a parent to at least attempt to play AA this season.   

Just something to think about.