This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: PW AA 2019-2020  (Read 244037 times)

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
Re: PW AA 2019-2020
« Reply #405 on: January 13, 2020, 03:27:16 PM »
 ;D

Gary Sargent

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-0
« Reply #406 on: January 13, 2020, 04:38:45 PM »
CAHA teams need a salary cap.

2 Cups in LA

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +8/-31
« Reply #407 on: January 13, 2020, 08:17:36 PM »
Lord of the Rinks makes some valid points.  I personally know parents From all the front runners and yes there are some “A hole parents” but I also know some really good families on those teams.

BladesofSteel66

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +29/-22
« Reply #408 on: January 14, 2020, 09:08:53 AM »
Maybe we all should secede from SCAHA, meaning every club should bail on the league and make their own league without Kings/Ducks.  That would be neat.  Teach em a lesson. 
NorCal (Send Bakersfield, and maybe Valencia to NorCal)
SCAHA (Kings/Ducks)
SDHA (The rest of us.  Give Reign and Gulls back their AAA teams)

That should thin out the douchebaggery at the top. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 09:09:53 AM by BladesofSteel66 »

5lap5hot

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-7
« Reply #409 on: January 14, 2020, 09:18:49 AM »
Maybe we all should secede from SCAHA, meaning every club should bail on the league and make their own league without Kings/Ducks.  That would be neat.  Teach em a lesson. 
NorCal (Send Bakersfield, and maybe Valencia to NorCal)
SCAHA (Kings/Ducks)
SDHA (The rest of us.  Give Reign and Gulls back their AAA teams)

That should thin out the douchebaggery at the top.

I'm not sure that there isn't a boot load of "douchbaggery" at many of the other teams.  Not sure Valencia will want to travel 4 hours for a game when Burbank is only 20 miles away.  AAA team belongs in the Valley not in the IE.

FrozenMom18

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-0
« Reply #410 on: January 14, 2020, 09:34:46 AM »
Maybe if there were more options of tier play in the IE the talent would stay local instead of commuting ridiculous distances in some cases.

BladesofSteel66

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +29/-22
« Reply #411 on: January 14, 2020, 09:58:04 AM »
Fine, keep Valencia, but we all have to travel to that place 3+ times a friggin year.  They HOST weekends, and hardly ever have to leave.  Only the pitiful A/B teams would have travel concerns... and we all know we don't care about them HA-HA-HA-ugh...

Also, CAHA used the comparatively low player registration numbers for players in CA to justify only having (typically) three tier teams at an age level which is total fn garbage (they don't want watered-down teams).    I get it, Minnesota and others have a billion more youth hockey players registered, but they don't have to travel 80 - 700 miles to "local" rinks.  Have they ever looked at a map?!?!?

As a result, 15+ AA teams are screwed and have to travel IN STATE thousands and thousands of miles.  AA travels just as much AAA and that is BS.  All the travel, but not the clout or recognition and opportunity LOCALLY to try out for AAA.  (insert poo emoji)

Strawman

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-47
« Reply #412 on: January 14, 2020, 12:48:29 PM »
Fine, keep Valencia, but we all have to travel to that place 3+ times a friggin year.  They HOST weekends, and hardly ever have to leave.  Only the pitiful A/B teams would have travel concerns... and we all know we don't care about them HA-HA-HA-ugh...

Also, CAHA used the comparatively low player registration numbers for players in CA to justify only having (typically) three tier teams at an age level which is total fn garbage (they don't want watered-down teams).    I get it, Minnesota and others have a billion more youth hockey players registered, but they don't have to travel 80 - 700 miles to "local" rinks.  Have they ever looked at a map?!?!?

As a result, 15+ AA teams are screwed and have to travel IN STATE thousands and thousands of miles.  AA travels just as much AAA and that is BS.  All the travel, but not the clout or recognition and opportunity LOCALLY to try out for AAA.  (insert poo emoji)

It's a big exaggeration to say that AA travels just as much as AAA.  The last time my kid played AAA in California he missed about 40 days of school purely due to out of state travel (and more due to in state travel).  But apart from that I agree with you.  There's far too much travel for CA tier I and tier II players -- which results in most of the serious ones leaving during or right after their bantam years.

Brewgooder

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #413 on: January 14, 2020, 10:31:42 PM »
It’s getting too serious .....we need some bold predictions !  Here is mine ..... last CAHA weekend there will be 3 major upsets (which they will not be really if you are paying attention....but for the casual observant they will be) and the same will be said for play downs ! There, I have spoken 😬

5lap5hot

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-7
« Reply #414 on: January 15, 2020, 07:56:56 AM »
Not sure why everyone is complaining about traveling distances.  Its California hockey not many rinks and not enough kids playing.  Shoot for that matter all the kids I know playing a high level soccer, baseball, softball and volleyball are traveling everywhere.  The problem is still too few players.  As much as everyone complains about the Ducks they've got the biggest in-house program and are doing more to grow the game than any other org. 

Get over the travel issues because its everywhere.  Try driving in MN two hours in the snow.   

TheFourthA

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +13/-5
« Reply #415 on: January 15, 2020, 11:36:46 AM »
It’s not an exaggeration to say that AA is as expensive as AAA, it’s just an oversimplification.  It’s not a function of level, it’s function of travel costs, and that very much is a team by team calculation.  My son’s AA Year was more expensive than this year in AAA because of all of the trips to Vacaville, Valencia and Escondido that went with AA.  We had one CAHA related AAA trip to San Jose with one hotel night in their place.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 06:32:42 AM by TheFourthA »

alfirst

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-39
« Reply #416 on: January 15, 2020, 11:55:48 AM »
Brewgooder - how about naming projected upsets?

BladesofSteel66

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +29/-22
« Reply #417 on: January 15, 2020, 10:16:30 PM »
MLK Weekend Upsets??!?!  'Cause you know they mix it up at every rink!

Brewgooder

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #418 on: January 15, 2020, 10:27:04 PM »
Gents and ladies  with all due respect to The Fourth A.......there is no comparison....NOT EVEN REMOTELY close between the traveling costs of a AAA vs a AA team.   You have to trust me on this one....like NOT even close!!!!  ALFirst I consider you a veteran of this platform and an avid youth hockey observant,  I think you know what is brewing.   The winter is coming.....

TheFourthA

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +13/-5
« Reply #419 on: January 16, 2020, 06:13:31 AM »
Brew:  costs aren’t a function of the level, but largely of the amount of travel that a particular team does.  In our last AA season, we had at least 27 hotel nights.  That cut almost in half this year in AAA.  Yes, our travel tournament expense has gone up somewhat, but our CAHA related travel is virtually zero.  At AA we had  2 overnight weekends in Valencia, 2 plane trip weekends in Vacaville, and a long weekend in Escondido..  At AAA, our CAHA related travel expense is virtually zero:  we have 1 night in San Jose, with games scheduled to make it driveable.   At AA, we had 4 travel tournaments -- not counting the quasi-obligatory  pre-tryout trip to Minnesota.  At AAA, we have 5 (lumping showcases, negotiated series of games, etc. in as tournaments), some of which are at the same cities as last season.  I am not saying that either experience is representative of either level, just that our AAA season will end up less costly than last AA season and that it is not accurate to say that AAA expenses are always greater than those of AA. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 08:47:21 AM by TheFourthA »