This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: New Bantam AA program in Valencia  (Read 35751 times)

BarryM

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-36
Re: New Bantam AA program in Valencia
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2016, 06:10:47 PM »
Great weekend in San Jose with Bears, cannot see any leaving this program for Valencia. Peter Bear runs a class operation.
looking forward to another great season of bears hockey. Good luck to all in Bantam AA this year.

FYC69

• Mite
  • LR Justice +15/-0
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2016, 08:19:41 PM »
Glad to hear that the Bears had an awesome weekend! Look forward playing you soon!!!!

hockey44

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-9
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2016, 09:35:29 PM »
Hkymom17 (LK).
First you heard and then you saw, quite a busy day for you, You should go where it is best for your son to play, that is all we are doing.
The same rules goes for either club, we at Valencia are focusing on building up great teams for all ages and that is what you should do as well.
Keep this thread positive and help all Riptider's find a new home, Yours might be Mariners but ours is Valencia.
Good luck to your sons last season.

FYC69, I have no horse in this race - but you would be wise to listen to Hkymom17 and do your homework before tryouts. The PDR is designed to prevent this exact situation (a team moving to another club). The Mariners were given specific permission by CAHA to count Riptide players toward the PDR there. That permission doesn't automatically transfer over to Valencia. Do your homework with someone who knows the CAHA PDR rules so that you don't get burned in June.

Goaliedad32

• Mite
  • LR Justice +9/-10
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2016, 09:43:50 PM »
Good point Hockey 44.    I too had concerns with this issue.  This is something that needed to be addressed and IT HAS.  It was addressed at the Valencia clinic on Saturday and it is NOT an issue.  Thanks for the heads up though.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 09:45:34 PM by Goaliedad32 »

FYC69

• Mite
  • LR Justice +15/-0
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2016, 09:48:14 PM »
Maybe some other needs to do their homework. Thanks Goaliedad 32, you are correct! -GO Flyers
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 09:49:49 PM by FYC69 »

hockey44

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-9
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2016, 11:46:57 AM »
Good point Hockey 44.    I too had concerns with this issue.  This is something that needed to be addressed and IT HAS.  It was addressed at the Valencia clinic on Saturday and it is NOT an issue.  Thanks for the heads up though.

Goaliedad32, thank you. I am curious - is it not an issue because CAHA acted quickly last week to permit Valencia to count ex-Riptide players against the new 50% player development requirement?Or is it not an issue because the teams will include enough returning Flyers to satisfy the new 50% player development requirement?

Reality check

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-25
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2016, 02:48:55 PM »
And of those 60 how many are AA players? How is Valencia going to draw the top players in the area?

Goaliedad32

• Mite
  • LR Justice +9/-10
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2016, 04:00:45 PM »
Thanks for the question Hockey44.  Keep in mind I didn't know what the heck a PDR was 5 days ago, but the information provided was that the PDR  was not an issue.  In addition,  my understanding is that there is a WAIVER that has been obtained from CAHA.  So Valencia is covered on that issue.

As for talent level (Reality Check).  I agree if the 60 kids suck and not of AA caliber then we will not be going there.   From what I saw on Saturday they were for real.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 04:21:07 PM by Goaliedad32 »

BarryM

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-36
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2016, 04:50:14 PM »
lots of bears and heat players were at Valencia to check it out.

most live close by, and were curious to see what was going on. all that I talked to after said they would not take a chance on the program this year but will wait to see how this year goes.

most of the kids that will be at tryouts are mostly A or B players hoping this is a chance to play AA hockey. except for a few riptide kids that live close by and are AA players the rest will be weaker players that will be okay paying all that money to watch from the bench so that dad can tell his friends my son plays AA hockey.

this year will be an interesting one, my guess is both mariners and flyers should field A teams and save the money.

hockey44

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-9
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2016, 05:31:15 PM »
Thanks for the question Hockey44.  Keep in mind I didn't know what the heck a PDR was 5 days ago, but the information provided was that the PDR  was not an issue.  In addition,  my understanding is that there is a WAIVER that has been obtained from CAHA.  So Valencia is covered on that issue.

As for talent level (Reality Check).  I agree if the 60 kids suck and not of AA caliber then we will not be going there.   From what I saw on Saturday they were for real.

I think that most long-term parents in the SCAHA/CAHA circles would agree: Do not accept a coach's verbal assurance on a PDR issue. Coaches are always optimistic that everything will be fine (or they may have agendas that do not match your own). Pick up the phone and call CAHA...or write an email to a CAHA board member...you want to be sure that either (1) Riptide players count toward the PDR or (2) there are enough returning Flyer players to satisfy the PDR for the team that you're looking at (but this second scenario obviously means that fewer roster spots are wide open for new Flyer players).

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2016, 07:18:13 PM »
I checked it out and saw a huge range from A to AAA kids. AAA kids won't stay, But there was an excellent turn out.  How serious all the skaters are will be seen on June 3rd.  I wish all clubs success for the betterment of all.  There is too much emotional investment by adults IMO.  Putting down 13 and 14 year old kids shows a lack of character.  When this old timer was young most parents didn't even attend practices.  It was the kids that were invested not the parent. 

Let the kids love it.  My son would play third line B with a broken ankle rather than not play.  But he still has enough pride he wants to play at the highest level he can manage.

Perspective Folks, Perspective.

FYC69

• Mite
  • LR Justice +15/-0
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2016, 08:30:44 PM »
I started this thread to promote the new AA program coming to Valencia, and it has gone over expectation so far. I have no interest  in arguing back and forth.  The PDR question have been answered several times, and is not an issue. We have a lot of interest and think we can get really competitive teams together, AA and A. At the end of the day, Scaha and Caha hockey will benefit from a club up here, Valencia have created a lot of good players. If parents don’t need to drive for hours everyday for practice, I think more will stay in hockey.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 08:45:46 PM by FYC69 »

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2016, 07:17:54 AM »
01s 02s and 03s from Valencia play all over hell and back.  From Ontario to Anaheim.  It seemed to die with the Express.  The lack of a solid program sent parents looking.  It is probably a bit late to get many of them back but if the ISV gets it's poop in a pile it could get back to being a highly desired facility with great teams.  I wish them well in any case.  It would only benefit the sport we all enjoy.

GuyFawkes

• Mite
  • LR Justice +5/-108
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2016, 09:56:16 AM »
Buyer beware.  I am hearing from a CAHA connected person that Valencia has not received a a PDR exemption to take Riptide kids.  Apparently there has not even been a formal request for one.  Don't get caught with your pants down next weekend.

goonhockey

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +21/-24
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2016, 10:46:02 AM »
all this talk of a Waiver, but no one is able to provide proof...