This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: SQ. BB 2016/2017  (Read 57590 times)

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
Re: SQ. BB 2016/2017
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2016, 01:36:31 PM »
I am totally interested in kids development, but like all of you, put my kid first. Since he's a tender, getting the most adversity is the best thing for his future. I've watched the whole team grow over the last 8 games (4 in tournie) and am quite sure we would have won a few before the end of the he season. Now, regretfully, we will grow slower BUT your remarks will :) soon turn to whining about why SCAHA let us join your ranks. Have at you. ;D

I'm sure I dont have to tell you that Goaltending is a specialized position in the sport, and realistically, unless you are part of a program with a dedicated goalie coach who is regularly scheduled to work with your kid, goalies often don't get the specialized training they need in team practices, unless there is an assistant coach with solid fundamentals who can run the goalies through drills and recognize and correct them, and provide the appropriate training regimen. 

At the Squirt level, almost all the kids are building up the needed core and leg strength and flexibility which can only be achieved through hours of repetition.  I don't know the situation at Simi, but in my experience just about every parent who has a goalie finds one or more coaches who are working with their kid in private lessons.  Of course the availability and cost of these sessions vary widely, and to your point, some coaches are better than others.  With that said, it's a long term project. 

goaliemojodad

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-5
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2016, 04:59:41 PM »
Thanks for your input! We left the Iceoplex in-house world a year ago because there wasn't any resolve to develop young goalies. Besides more in-house, we have done a respectable amount of goalie coaching, camps and clinics and even a practice goalie position since. With some exceptions, we have found most coaches player oriented and want our kid to just stay in net without any specific netminder development at all, creating and repeating bad habits. Our club has a dedicated goalie coach on contract, but only comes for a varying chunk of one practice a week. But who's complaining?

It has been a great opportunity for the Mariner's team to play in the A level at the Anaheim Early Bird Tournament and these preseason games. We got stomped, but better as a result. I was worried from the start (after experiencing two prior A level tournaments) that we had didn't have enough A level players, and the truth revealed itself. I'm just bummed for my son who really dedicated himself to becoming an A level little puck stopper. I hope we dominate this BB world, of course, but that's not going to happen if we don't ALL develop as a Team. We have the coaches and the kid's to do it, if only we could get the parents out of the way. But who's complaining?

Hockey Mom... what team does your son play for and what position?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 05:12:34 PM by goaliemojodad »

SeanJ

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2016, 05:22:11 PM »
I watched the video you made and posted on youtube. Your son is very good!

Thanks for your input! We left the Iceoplex in-house world a year ago because there wasn't any resolve to develop young goalies. Besides more in-house, we have done a respectable amount of goalie coaching, camps and clinics and even a practice goalie position since. With some exceptions, we have found most coaches player oriented and want our kid to just stay in net without any specific netminder development at all, creating and repeating bad habits. Our club has a dedicated goalie coach on contract, but only comes for a varying chunk of one practice a week. But who's complaining?

It has been a great opportunity for the Mariner's team to play in the A level at the Anaheim Early Bird Tournament and these preseason games. We got stomped, but better as a result. I was worried from the start (after experiencing two prior A level tournaments) that we had didn't have enough A level players, and the truth revealed itself. I'm just bummed for my son who really dedicated himself to becoming an A level little puck stopper. I hope we dominate this BB world, of course, but that's not going to happen if we don't ALL develop as a Team. We have the coaches and the kid's to do it, if only we could get the parents out of the way. But who's complaining?

Hockey Mom... what team does your son play for and what position?

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2016, 07:52:32 PM »
I also think what you said previously is very true.  As a goalie parent, you don't want to play for the team that is beating everyone to the degree that your son is only seeing 15 low quality shots a game.

In my experience with the Squirt division, the difference between the teams at the top and bottom of each classification are typically separated by a handful of players.  In other words, there are players in each division that could do fine in any other division.   Overall, the speed of the games are faster as you go up, but there are plenty of BB players who could play in A, and are probably better than some of the kids at the bottom of the roster of many of the A teams.   If the team proves to be too good for the division, that can always be explored in tournament play.

Hockeymomx

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +5/-0
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2016, 08:06:17 PM »
The regular season schedule is up and able to be filtered by teams.

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2016, 03:31:23 PM »
I am totally interested in kids development, but like all of you, put my kid first. Since he's a tender, getting the most adversity is the best thing for his future. I've watched the whole team grow over the last 8 games (4 in tournie) and am quite sure we would have won a few before the end of the he season. Now, regretfully, we will grow slower BUT your remarks will :) soon turn to whining about why SCAHA let us join your ranks. Have at you. ;D

I don't think it's a slower growth curve at all... Their are always tournaments and scrimmages available to your team. Also, there were other SQA teams relatively close to your location. If what I heard about your last team was correct (and it's a 2-way street), don't burn bridges, rep follows you around.. it's a small hockey world!   ;) ;) ;)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 05:31:54 PM by MO-ICETIME »

goalie_dad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +17/-8
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2016, 10:09:25 PM »
I heard there was a scrimmage between Jr Ducks (3) and Heat today.  Anyone know results?

Hockeymomx

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +5/-0
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2016, 03:11:12 AM »
I heard JD won 6-5.

goaliemojodad

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-5
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2016, 11:27:16 AM »
I think what kind Icadad says is reality and there is going to be a good field of players, just perhaps not 5 on the ice at any given moment. Contrary to MoIce, I've watched a couple BB games and see a noticeable difference in the speed 'A' teams play. A much larger percentage of those A kids could be AA and very soon AAA players. But it's gonna be great and we sincerely hope to see more teams rise to the top of the BB heap, and the Mariner's cruising with them.

And regarding MoIce's suggestive aside, please speak your hearsay and tell us who you are if your brave enough (feeling vulnerable now, and at every game as a goalie Dad...), or better yet, approach me at the rink and I'll fill in the other 95% of the story you've only heard rumor about. (I'm the guy with the camera and Pens hat.) I may be wrong, but you appear a bit as a forum flamer and misinformed...as all the SQA teams local to me (do you have my address too?) have a full roster of goalies, or after discovering our decent to BB, we would in fact have tried-out for them. My son chose not to jump ship to PeeWee on his own where there were some options, although our "other" goalie did make the choice to leave and play up.

MoIce "I don't think it's a slower growth curve at all... Their are always tournaments and scrimmages available to your team. Also, there were other SQA teams relatively close to your location. If what I heard about your last team was correct (and it's a 2-way street), don't burn bridges, rep follows you around.. it's a small hockey world!   ;) ;) ;) "
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 11:28:08 AM by goaliemojodad »

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2016, 03:39:26 PM »
I think what kind Icadad says is reality and there is going to be a good field of players, just perhaps not 5 on the ice at any given moment. Contrary to MoIce, I've watched a couple BB games and see a noticeable difference in the speed 'A' teams play. A much larger percentage of those A kids could be AA and very soon AAA players. But it's gonna be great and we sincerely hope to see more teams rise to the top of the BB heap, and the Mariner's cruising with them.

And regarding MoIce's suggestive aside, please speak your hearsay and tell us who you are if your brave enough (feeling vulnerable now, and at every game as a goalie Dad...), or better yet, approach me at the rink and I'll fill in the other 95% of the story you've only heard rumor about. (I'm the guy with the camera and Pens hat.) I may be wrong, but you appear a bit as a forum flamer and misinformed...as all the SQA teams local to me (do you have my address too?) have a full roster of goalies, or after discovering our decent to BB, we would in fact have tried-out for them. My son chose not to jump ship to PeeWee on his own where there were some options, although our "other" goalie did make the choice to leave and play up.

MoIce "I don't think it's a slower growth curve at all... Their are always tournaments and scrimmages available to your team. Also, there were other SQA teams relatively close to your location. If what I heard about your last team was correct (and it's a 2-way street), don't burn bridges, rep follows you around.. it's a small hockey world!   ;) ;) ;) "

I'll approach you no problem if I see you around. I am no flame thrower, however when you throw comments out there on a forum that say something about a club or coach and when I hear something from numerous parents about an incident that led you to write about lack of professionalism etc... I just have to put it out there.. So flame thrower?? Naa, just responding to a comment you spoke about and adding perspective.

goaliemojodad

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-5
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2016, 07:18:44 PM »
Is your son or daughter even in Squirt BB, moicerumormonger? Rumors of the ethereal kind. You don't even quote sources or name yourself. Or even have any idea what your talking about. Did you sneeze or do you want to talk about something? Are you an ugly person deep inside? Or worse yet, a Ducks fan? Please.

BB will be marvelous and we as parents can help keep it positive and remember it is for our children. We are all hockey lovers and that should make us some sort of family. There is no question we ALL have ongoing dramas with our coaches, with the chemistry of our team's parents, managers or even rambunctious teammates. It is a team sport and it is the best sport. And as a goalie dad, I find player-kids/family/and coaches are sometimes in a different zip code as this MoIce lover has proven. You will never understand the stresses of goalie parent until you are one.

Love MoIce. Go Pens! And oh yeah, the Mariner's too! Hopefully you approach me when I'm not in a bad mood.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 07:20:02 PM by goaliemojodad »

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2016, 08:12:36 PM »
Is your son or daughter even in Squirt BB, moicerumormonger? Rumors of the ethereal kind. You don't even quote sources or name yourself. Or even have any idea what your talking about. Did you sneeze or do you want to talk about something? Are you an ugly person deep inside? Or worse yet, a Ducks fan? Please.

BB will be marvelous and we as parents can help keep it positive and remember it is for our children. We are all hockey lovers and that should make us some sort of family. There is no question we ALL have ongoing dramas with our coaches, with the chemistry of our team's parents, managers or even rambunctious teammates. It is a team sport and it is the best sport. And as a goalie dad, I find player-kids/family/and coaches are sometimes in a different zip code as this MoIce lover has proven. You will never understand the stresses of goalie parent until you are one.

Love MoIce. Go Pens! And oh yeah, the Mariner's too! Hopefully you approach me when I'm not in a bad mood.

Nothing but respect for Goalie parents... My point wasn't that.. Just to be careful throwing stones... It's a small hockey world, simple as that and I won't resort to name calling, have at it! ,<wink>... I sent you a PM out of respect, to not air it. your kid looked good today <wink>. I'll approach you either way, no worries.. HAHA!

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2016, 08:14:20 PM »

Nothing but respect for Goalie parents... My point wasn't that.. Just to be careful throwing stones... It's a small hockey world, simple as that and I won't resort to name calling, have at it! ,<wink>... I sent you a PM out of respect, to not air it. your kid looked good today <wink>. I'll approach you either way, no worries.. HAHA!

Looked good as in Battled and moved pretty good! Good glove!

goaliemojodad

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-5
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2016, 02:08:53 PM »
Thanks MoIce for the comments on my son's play. It was actually a extremely emotional time for him, since he had always wanted to be on that team, and then there was the other thing. He battles good no matter his head space. Impresses me every time. I'm not sure he actually enjoyed himself. Thanks for trying to be nice while you go craigslist on me.

Hearing spurious rumors of a BB team dropping to B. One of the JrKing's teams.

Hockeymomx

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +5/-0
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2016, 02:17:14 PM »
One of the Jr Kings teams (JK2) did move to B.  Are you hearing rumors another dropped?