This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: PEEWEE AA how much is to much ? About $23,000 collected for team fees !  (Read 27487 times)

hockeyrules

How much has your team managers collected for tournements and coaches fees ect. $23,000 for 2 local in town  tournys and 3 out of state and play downs. How about $1300.00 or so for the 3 coaches to pay for gifts ?
 Is it standard practice for team managers to refuse to show team parents  (proof)  or actual reciepts for the money that has been spent ?
 Was just curious if this is normal. Thanks

Kangaroo Jack

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +100/-61
Re: PEEWEE AA how much is to much ? About $23,000 collected for team fees !
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 09:04:14 AM »
3 out of state tournaments
Flights
Hotels
Rent a car
Food
Coaches fees
2 local tournaments
Extra Ice time
$1,300 per person extra does not seem like anyone is getting rich of this. 🤑

I believe in #daddycoaches 🧐

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 09:06:16 AM »
How much has your team managers collected for tournements and coaches fees ect. $23,000 for 2 local in town  tournys and 3 out of state and play downs. How about $1300.00 or so for the 3 coaches to pay for gifts ?
 Is it standard practice for team managers to refuse to show team parents  (proof)  or actual reciepts for the money that has been spent ?
 Was just curious if this is normal. Thanks
All teams managers are required to show ALL parents where the money is going.  My wife/I have been managing myr younger sons team for a few years and is a pretty thankless job.  We do it because we want our families to have the best experience possible.  We all spend too much money in this great sport to have a bad experience. Some parents don't get it.  Thinking their kid is going strait to Div 1 school and then the NHL. Some people just want their kids to enjoy their youth hockey days yo have fun and build a strong character foundation.  Now we ALL want our kids to get better,  there are just different philosophies on how to do it.  That's where the problems come in.  People don't get their way and the shit hits the fan.  The fact that you are basically throwing a temper tantrum with your two posts, tells me that more than likely one of those PAIN IN THE ASS parents that A) Think their kid is better than he is. B) Away saying it's some one else fault (because it COULDN'T be my little Johnny that's a head case).
Would be surprised if you still even on a team.  Poor kid.........he's doomed !!

area51

• Midget
  • LR Justice +82/-61
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 10:31:14 AM »
Our team budget it pushing $28,000 this season depending on if the boys make it to States. 2 out of state tournaments, 3 local tournaments, Caha weekends, Playdowns and an extra half a sheet of ice a week. Manager should have an estimated budget at the beginning of the year and a the budget should be shared with the parents throughout the year.

hockeyrules

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 10:49:21 AM »
  I wish it was as simple as me throwing a temper tantrum. The thankless job of managing a team is not new to my family, we have had the pleasure a few times.
It can be and had been trying at times  however the love of the game and our kids made it worth while.
The "THANKLESS JOB" part is blown out you want thanks your in it for the wrong reason. When your collecting cash from parents they have a right to know the details, is it to much to ask for bank statements and recepits ? Shouldnt be if there is nothing to hide right?
AS YOU stated there are rules to being a manager so it should be easy to have Caha, scaha , usa hockey or anyone in a position of authority in these matters to help out .Well I truly hope you never have to deal with the chain of command and the bullshit excuses and passing of the so called buck.

Kangaroo Jack

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +100/-61
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 11:22:28 AM »
  I wish it was as simple as me throwing a temper tantrum. The thankless job of managing a team is not new to my family, we have had the pleasure a few times.
It can be and had been trying at times  however the love of the game and our kids made it worth while.
The "THANKLESS JOB" part is blown out you want thanks your in it for the wrong reason. When your collecting cash from parents they have a right to know the details, is it to much to ask for bank statements and recepits ? Shouldnt be if there is nothing to hide right?
AS YOU stated there are rules to being a manager so it should be easy to have Caha, scaha , usa hockey or anyone in a position of authority in these matters to help out .Well I truly hope you never have to deal with the chain of command and the bullshit excuses and passing of the so called buck.
I sure  it was not a pleasure for the rest of your teammates.  If you were a team manager before you should have know the cost already.   As of right now it looks like you owe another $5,000.

hockeyrules

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 02:48:10 PM »
So $23,000 is standard issue for peewee AA ? It was a question yet noone has given a response to that ! Just your smart ass responses.
 As I said we are not new to this our 3rd year of travel.
  AGAINST FORUM RULES I SAY AGAIN IS $23,000 +  an avg amount for extra team dues ? Outside your club fees? Thank you area 51 i appreciate the info.

station26

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +133/-92
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 03:59:47 PM »
I have to agree..I think it was nothing more than a question wasn't it? Maybe two questions? Anyway, 1300 is a bit high but looks like you paid for another coach also so that can be the difference right there. Midget AAA was about a grand but that was for two coaches and not at every tourney (4 out of state). The manager was solid and provided perfect spread sheet. Did a great job.

Hockey05

• Midget
  • LR Justice +59/-33
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 04:44:12 PM »
So $23,000 is standard issue for peewee AA ? It was a question yet noone has given a response to that ! Just your smart ass responses.
  AGAINST FORUM RULES I SAY AGAIN IS $23,000 +  an avg amount for extra team dues ? Outside your club fees? Thank you area 51 i appreciate the info.

Nationally, a low percentage of players ever make it to tier.  For some reason, California seems to have a bunch of teams at tier 2 and then very few options at tier 1 (why I do not understand but that is a different thread).  You opted for this opportunity for your son or daughter and this is California.  Buyer beware when you sign, lots of things aren't fair in youth sports and especially youth hockey. 

With all those flights, the season certainly must have been an expensive one.  Yes, you deserve to know how the money is spent.  But it seems to me that you got a pretty good deal for all that stuff.  I think our family paid about $1300 in extras last year and we didn't do half that amount of stuff. 

It isn't easy being a team manager.  It can be a miserable job.  Ask national champion youth coaches and many will tell you that they wouldn't have done it without their team manager keeping families focussed on the big picture and what is important. 

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 07:34:47 PM »
author=hockeyrules link=topic=3409.msg40586#msg40586 date=1487112490]
Area 51 started that their dues were pushing $28k.  That sounds like an answer to me. 

Maybe it's just not the answer you wanted. 

I'll refer to the last half of my first post.

hockeyrules

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 07:55:42 PM »
The $1300+ was the amount collected and given in  gifts for the coaches. Its not to much to ask for verification on expenses is it not microsoft word spread sheets with appox. Costs for tournrys played last year. Thanks for all your responses i appreciate it . As i stated in another post this team we were part of is in play downs . My player made the choice not to participate!

ABCDE

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +25/-8
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 08:35:05 PM »
The manager should give you a breakdown on the expenses.  A spreadsheet is NOTHING to make.  It IS a lot of money to spend, and you should know where it goes.  I've heard it's required of managers, but I've never noticed it in print.  To me, it's common sense so never sought it out in guidelines.  Parents have a right to know where there money is spent, it's a f-load of money.  Sounds like $23K acceptable, but the manager needs to let you know where the money goes.  $1300 for coaches gifts times number of kids divided by number of coaches sounds like a lot, but could be acceptable if mgr broke down expenses[/size].  Most managers get the crap end of the stick and pay out of pocket too many times but, when we're throwing out $23K+ on our little 12Us, we want to know where the money goes.  That said, I've only had 1 other manager do that for the team.  It just depends on your manager and team as to whether that's acceptable for you.  I think you took a lot of crap for your posts because of way they came out, but both posts were valid questions IMO.

Kangaroo Jack

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +100/-61
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 09:06:44 PM »
I would not want too be a team manager. At the beginning of our season we had one Dumb Crap mother actually cursed out our manager in a team meeting. Needless to say she never came around much after that. This lady was completely Off her meds (obviously not a Jr King mom because they can afford the good stuff). My piont is our team manager was great and gave us spread sheet telling us where all the money went and she was still treated poorly. I guess you cannot please everyone. 

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 10:50:37 PM »
An extra 23K split between the team sounds reasonable.  A hockey can be around 20K with 3-4 tournaments, SCAHA and CAHA playoffs so, 23K sounds like a deal for AA. That said the team manager should always be able to provided documentation regarding where the money has gone.  In fact, they should provide a monthly statement

HockeyDadx3

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +54/-24
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2017, 10:54:11 AM »
My kids played 1 season in California (last season) and it blew my mind that clubs had to pay extra to participate in the playoffs and state tournament. We have lived in Alaska and Colorado and we have NEVER had to pay extra $$$ for making the top 8.

Thank god we moved back to Colorado and we are out of that bullshit ran system and almighty dollar based governing bodies.