This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Peewee AA 2017-2018  (Read 314360 times)

Hockey sophist

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +50/-98
Re: Peewee AA 2017-2018
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2017, 09:29:06 AM »
This is a weird innovation.   Some very good questions and criticisms so far.   One concern is that by selecting playoff teams after a short preseason, CAHA rewards teams that have kept a team together for several years (the big clubs) and/or practice long and hard through the summer.   Where does that leave the idea of playing other sports in the summer or just doing ordinary things with one's family and taking a break from hockey.   It seems to encourage professionalizing youth hockey for 11-12 year old players and those 10 year old teams destined for AAA.   CAHA should go back to the drawing boards. 

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2017, 09:33:50 AM »
This is a weird innovation.   Some very good questions and criticisms so far.   One concern is that by selecting playoff teams after a short preseason, CAHA rewards teams that have kept a team together for several years (the big clubs) and/or practice long and hard through the summer.   Where does that leave the idea of playing other sports in the summer or just doing ordinary things with one's family and taking a break from hockey.   It seems to encourage professionalizing youth hockey for 11-12 year old players and those 10 year old teams destined for AAA.   CAHA should go back to the drawing boards.

Good points, what a shock that CAHA and SCAHA would reward big clubs. 

Icelife

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +6/-4
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2017, 09:37:24 AM »
Yes... That's exactly what I was thinking too! If they base off early season play, those teams that have been together for years will take a big advantage because typically, it takes time for teams that are not already formed to get in the groove of things. Last year, prime example! OC2 and Eagles weren't really part of early discussions of taking playoff spots. However, it's clear they put the extra effort/ice time/ lessons... to get better and better and they were the top 2. Just say'in it seems like the "super teams" will prevail here!
Let's all remember, these are kids!

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2017, 09:45:51 AM »
Yes... That's exactly what I was thinking too! If they base off early season play, those teams that have been together for years will take a big advantage because typically, it takes time for teams that are not already formed to get in the groove of things. Last year, prime example! OC2 and Eagles weren't really part of early discussions of taking playoff spots. However, it's clear they put the extra effort/ice time/ lessons... to get better and better and they were the top 2. Just say'in it seems like the "super teams" will prevail here!
To your point about OC2 and Eagles.. They were pretty much in the "Top Flight" bracket all season so it would have been a non-issue. In your example, it shows that it worked out just fine.

Hockey05

• Midget
  • LR Justice +59/-33
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2017, 10:01:08 AM »

Some great points.  I can't see 4 teams at a lower tier playing AA.  I would strongly encourage my son's team to drop if that were the case and clubs should be offered that choice.  Can you imagine playing a full season of games with CAHA weekends to play the same 3 teams over and over.  You might play them 4-5 times. And I'll add whoever of those bottom 4 is the best, they probably aren't in the top 8. 

Very few clubs that fielded two AA teams did well last year.  Typically across the board at various levels the second AA team finished under .500. 
Lastly, if you have a lower group of 8 teams, you ought to have to have a play in playoff game. 
Forget baseball, forget soccer, we all better start practices immediately after June 2. 

[size=78%]It does seem very complicated...  [/size]

Stanley

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +13/-10
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2017, 11:33:58 AM »
I can see all kinds of problems with the new system.  On the other hand, I guess it's a way of forcing coaches and parents who know their teams will be in the bottom half of AA (but who want to chase the extra "A" anyway) to consider playing A instead, where they might at least get the possibility of having a longer season.

Rainman

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +10/-4
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2017, 06:02:31 PM »

GSE PWAA went undefeated this season and got knocked out early.  They would of went straight to the states this year with this rule.  Now look at who to contact on CAHA website about this new rule and who is head of the GSE teams. Coincidence?

Kangaroo Jack

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +100/-61
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2017, 10:42:12 PM »
Why did CAHA and SCAHA stop posting their meeting minutes???
I believe in #daddycoaches 🧐

justanotherhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +59/-56
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2017, 09:03:47 AM »

GSE PWAA went undefeated this season and got knocked out early.  They would of went straight to the states this year with this rule.  Now look at who to contact on CAHA website about this new rule and who is head of the GSE teams. Coincidence?

GSE PWAA's coach is the husband of CAHA's 2nd Vice President; Executive Committee; Youth Council Chairman; Youth Tournament Committee Chairman; SafeSport Committee (North)!? That is too much of a coincidence indeed...

Losing to the #2 and eventual champs is one thing, but losing to a 9th seed must have been unimaginable. Going to the championship is something a team must EARN. It's already rewarding enough for a team to finish 1st in reg season and when playoff rolls around, gets to take on a supposedly inferior 8th seed. This is what makes playoff hockey exciting. Nothing is guaranteed and anything can happen. Winning in the regular season should not mean an automatic bid to championship.

BigDuke6

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +21/-14
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2017, 10:12:54 AM »

That's interesting.

Go Kings_26

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +6/-22
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2017, 02:33:24 PM »
This is ridiculous!  How is it that Tier 1 and A/B are exempt from this nonsense?  What if a team gets pushed to pw A and a bunch of last years 06 squirt b teams decide that's where they want to play??????  Based on the GSE variable, I'd say this was an emotional decision that was not completely thought through.....obviously....

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2017, 03:11:00 PM »
This is ridiculous!  How is it that Tier 1 and A/B are exempt from this nonsense?  What if a team gets pushed to pw A and a bunch of last years 06 squirt b teams decide that's where they want to play? ??? ??  Based on the GSE variable, I'd say this was an emotional decision that was not completely thought through.....obviously....

Like most decisions they make it will be voided by next year.  :o

UhhhhDuhhhh

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +73/-29
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2017, 06:35:11 PM »
WOW what a sad attempt at correcting a non issue.  The main competition for Tier 2 hockey is High School Hockey and they've just given that league a major boost.  There were tons of kids who played both Club and High School before.  Now, if you don't think you'll be in the top 8, might as well play High School only.  Genius!  :o
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 06:39:42 PM by UhhhhDuhhhh »

Hkymom17

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-34
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2017, 07:45:31 PM »

I'm being told this was brought up in January's CAHA meeting by a member of a special tier counsel. I asked how many teams will be allowed in the divisions and was told it's not a pre-set number.

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2017, 01:14:20 AM »
The geniuses at CAHA strike again. I can't imagine a more convoluted and stupid system. Now we have AA and Aa.

My thoughts exactly.  This has to be one of the most ill conceived plans imaginable.

I keep hearing that it's soooo important that the level of Tier competition be protected, as if someone is charging admission to the games.  Funny however, that this same idea doesn't extend to AAA.   I mean if level of competition is so important, and a team having a losing season is such a crime, then why does AA need to be singled out for this BS? 

Let me see here, last season, in PWAAA minor there was an 0-10 team, and a 3-9 team in PWAAA major.  How can CAHA let this travesty of uncompetitiveness continue! 

With the exception of a particular club that has been oft discussed here, most clubs are doing the best they can not to place teams at a level in which they can't compete.  And what defines a competitive season.  Can you lose more games than win and still be competitive, or is it a requirement that in order to be considered competitive you have to have a winning season?   

Why is CAHA so concerned with the general fact that every season in every division there will be a handful of teams that lose the majority of their games.  But what about the lower divisions?  Why is there no concern expressed that teams who might be marginal in their division could very well be world beaters in a lower division.  How is everyone served, when a team that is somewhere below the median level of AA gets pushed down to A and starts beating teams routinely by 8+ goals?  What rules will exist to insure competitiveness in those lower divisions, or does CAHA not concern itself with those problems because those teams are no longer playing a CAHA schedule?

Even the problem club dropped teams this season once it was clear they were going to struggle mightily.  CAHA in their infinite wisdom goes and rejects SDIA's request to drop to AA.   Where is the consistency?

How does giving one team a bye to a state championship semifinal, address the concern of keeping a high level of competition exactly?  Will that be known as the GSE rule?

The world is not a perfect place.  Sometimes a team punches above it's weight class, and CAHA should stop acting as if this is the most important problem in the world of Hockey.  Every year there are going to be winning teams and losing teams in every division.  With divisions of 16-18 teams, half or more will not make the playoffs. 

Consider Scaha Squirt A 2016/2017 which only had 8 teams.  They all made the playoffs, but ask the couple of teams at the bottom of the division how they felt losing week in and week out.  Does that mean that youth hockey is only productive if your kids win most of their games and don't ever have to face a team that they are just too strong for?

Artificially forcing teams out of a division or segmenting them into smaller groups takes the power for these decisions out of the hands of the parents and the clubs, and makes what is already a stressful process, even more difficult.  There seems to be this prevailing opinion that all parents are chasing letters, and that may be true for a small minority of parents, but the vast majority are balancing geographic realities, budgetary constraints, homework burdens and relationships with coaches and teammates.  In general, the many parents I've met are just as concerned as to whether their kids will have a productive and competitive season as anyone at CAHA.  What they don't have is a crystal ball. 

Kids at this age group have been getting jerked around by rule changes enough.  I have never heard of anything like what is being proposed anywhere else in the country, and California Hockey has a big enough job continuing to grow the sport and support its member clubs without making our kids Guinea pigs for yet another experimental foray into rule changes for a sport that has existed for over 100 years.  You would think they would be more conservative, given the reversion of last season's PDR and CAHA weekend rules after only one season. 

There is enough uncertainty awaiting them in the move to Bantam and beyond.  If I had a Bantam aged Tier player, I'd be just as annoyed, considering the choices to be made at U16 and beyond.