This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Tier I Tryouts  (Read 24898 times)

Kangaroo Jack

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +100/-61
Re: Tier I Tryouts
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2017, 07:20:26 PM »

What the hell does Trump have to do with any of this?  Please, no masked Antifas in the stands this season, please.

Must be some miss understanding???? Who does not like Trump???  Make America Great Again.
I believe in #daddycoaches 🧐

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017, 07:38:16 PM »

What the hell does Trump have to do with any of this?  Please, no masked Antifas in the stands this season, please.

Must be some miss understanding? ??? Who does not like Trump???  Make America Great Again.

People who hate America.

jla81462

• Mite
  • LR Justice +6/-1
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2017, 09:20:21 PM »
So here's some advice for all of you from someone who's out of the hockey life.  My son is off to college next year and is not playing anymore.  The amount of $ I spent, goalie coaching I gave him, and time invested in coaches, programs, and more is immeasurable.  I would still do it again but here is the bottom line:  these programs, coaches and rinks do not care about your kids one iota when it comes to tryout time on AAA and AA levels.  There is no allegiance whatsoever.  My son tried out for Simi AAA (yes I said the rink and don't care), one year and there were 12 goalies there, 12.  After tryouts, we were informed that one goalie was already signed and being brought in from Finland.  Finland?  Really?  We live 10 miles away.  Then he tried out for AA there.  5 goalies.  He was the best of the five.  He was not signed, even though he had been called by one of the coaches the week before to come out.  Their explanation was they had to sign their goalie from the past year who decided to come out and they had to sign a 2000 instead of a 99.  Fortunately he found another place to play that year.  He had a good year.  As a senior, he decided not to play and focused on school.  He's off to Cal Poly this year.  Maybe he'll play again, maybe not.

My point is that if your kid is a superstar amazing player, then the extra A matters.  If not, AAA doesn't matter that much.  AA is fine.  Have fun.  Enjoy the ride and don't let these psychopath tryouts ruin your kid.  There's too much else in life.  I wish you all the best journeys and enjoyable hockey seasons.

SDHockeyDad

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +15/-9
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2017, 09:51:28 PM »
I see how that would be helpful for most positions, but what if the kid is a goalie?
Find a goalie coach who your kid respects and has fun learning from.  (They have to enjoy their time on the ice).  Make sure that the coach is always pushing them in competitive scenarios and it helps if they are in the lesson with kids of similar or better skill.  1 on 1 private for goaltenders is not a great situation.  Goalies need rest when working on skills, you want to push repetitions at their peak performance so doing repetitive skills when tired is not exercising the explosive movements that a goalie must develop. 

If you don't want to spend a lot of money on lessons, take your kid to a couple of lessons and take notes on the drills the coach works on with your kid.  Find a couple of your kids teammates and setup shooting scenarios that the goalie coach worked on with the teammates as the shooters during stick times.  Get the other goalie on your team to participate so your kid can rest.  This gives your kid the repetitions that they need while also giving his teammates passing and shooting development time.  Win-Win.  Return to the goalie coach and get the next skill that needs to be worked on. 

Keep working, on and off ice and your kid will be noticed.  It doesn't matter which goalie coach your kid works with as long as they get them to work hard and have fun.  With that achieved and some natural athletic ability teams will come to find them.  Attend all the pre-tryout skates you can make after the season ends, these are the real tryouts and are where any open slots on the roster are selected. 

Don't know where you are based but if you PM me, I can give you some names of goalie coaches who I know personally or have heard good things about who can assist you in your kids development.

Reality check

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-25
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2017, 06:43:37 AM »
It will never change! Its who you KNOW!!!!

glilv

• Mite
  • LR Justice +7/-0
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2017, 09:51:22 AM »
There is no allegiance whatsoever.  My son tried out for Simi AAA (yes I said the rink and don't care), one year and there were 12 goalies there, 12.  After tryouts, we were informed that one goalie was already signed and being brought in from Finland.  Finland?  Really?  We live 10 miles away.  Then he tried out for AA there.  5 goalies.  He was the best of the five.  He was not signed, even though he had been called by one of the coaches the week before to come out.  Their explanation was they had to sign their goalie from the past year who decided to come out and they had to sign a 2000 instead of a 99.

Funny, how some things never change.  This time around it was a mad shuffle between them & another club. 

islandhockey

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +13/-4
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2017, 10:10:00 AM »
So what is the latest scoop?  Who wound up the stronger team between the JD and the JK?  Sounds like the Gulls won't have a leg to stand on....many of their best jumped ship.  Will it be like in years past?  JD and JK down to the finals at States?  What about No. Cal?  Heard some kids came down here while the Titans picked up some JK players.  So sorry about those left hanging by the JD for "48 hours".  How nuts was that?  Good luck to all!

coachbombay

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2017, 10:24:55 AM »
ducks and kings are making Trump look like mother Teresa. the Ducks midget tryouts last night was a joke. I think it was a cover up for CJ's shenanigans. Really! why the hell would you combine the arguably the two most important tier division and have 100 kids out there knees and elbows bumping into each other, unless you were covering something up. How the hell do you evaluate under those conditions. I know the teams are basically picked before the tryouts through their clinics, but to do what they did last night was an insult.

Comrade Trump has everything to do with it!

https://i1.wp.com/3.bp.blogspot.com/-uAG1DTgMrXo/V6lPxO4YEUI/AAAAAAAAHOU/oKzk-BK8KpAM4NS3PttVDadiNRaTC_e6QCLcB/s1600/comradetrumpweb.jpg?zoom=1.5625&resize=591%2C764&ssl=1

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2017, 02:35:25 PM »

Comrade Trump has everything to do with it!

https://i1.wp.com/3.bp.blogspot.com/-uAG1DTgMrXo/V6lPxO4YEUI/AAAAAAAAHOU/oKzk-BK8KpAM4NS3PttVDadiNRaTC_e6QCLcB/s1600/comradetrumpweb.jpg?zoom=1.5625&resize=591%2C764&ssl=1

Really? You are going to turn a Tier Tryout thread in to a Left Wing whack job political rank?  Go sell crazy someplace else.  We are all full up here.  Don't you have some windows to break at a college anti-free speech riot?

coachbombay

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2017, 06:38:29 PM »
Easy tiger. Your going to blow an aneurysm!

Cali Hockey Pop

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-2
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2017, 04:48:03 PM »
So here is probably the most stupid question ever...but here I go anyway. How do you get on a Tier 1 team? We aren't exactly close to any of the big clubs, but maybe we need to start attending their pre tryout clinics to at least get in front of the coaches. We had one tryout this weekend and the coach liked what he saw, but wanted to keep his options open. Hmmm.

Take lots of privates from the coach

This is correct. Coaches have to get to know the player somehow after all. It's not a perfect system but I am not sure anyone has a better idea or I haven't heard it.

Maverick

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +27/-11
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2017, 09:24:07 AM »
So here's some advice for all of you from someone who's out of the hockey life.  My son is off to college next year and is not playing anymore.  The amount of $ I spent, goalie coaching I gave him, and time invested in coaches, programs, and more is immeasurable.  I would still do it again but here is the bottom line:  these programs, coaches and rinks do not care about your kids one iota when it comes to tryout time on AAA and AA levels.  There is no allegiance whatsoever.  My son tried out for Simi AAA (yes I said the rink and don't care), one year and there were 12 goalies there, 12.  After tryouts, we were informed that one goalie was already signed and being brought in from Finland.  Finland?  Really?  We live 10 miles away.  Then he tried out for AA there.  5 goalies.  He was the best of the five.  He was not signed, even though he had been called by one of the coaches the week before to come out.  Their explanation was they had to sign their goalie from the past year who decided to come out and they had to sign a 2000 instead of a 99.  Fortunately he found another place to play that year.  He had a good year.  As a senior, he decided not to play and focused on school.  He's off to Cal Poly this year.  Maybe he'll play again, maybe not.

My point is that if your kid is a superstar amazing player, then the extra A matters.  If not, AAA doesn't matter that much.  AA is fine.  Have fun.  Enjoy the ride and don't let these psychopath tryouts ruin your kid.  There's too much else in life.  I wish you all the best journeys and enjoyable hockey seasons.

Amen Brother...  Thanks for the post and perspective.

DustyBender

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +4/-18
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2017, 03:23:41 PM »
There is no allegiance whatsoever.  My son tried out for Simi AAA (yes I said the rink and don't care), one year and there were 12 goalies there, 12.  After tryouts, we were informed that one goalie was already signed and being brought in from Finland.  Finland?  Really?  We live 10 miles away.  Then he tried out for AA there.  5 goalies.  He was the best of the five.  He was not signed, even though he had been called by one of the coaches the week before to come out.  Their explanation was they had to sign their goalie from the past year who decided to come out and they had to sign a 2000 instead of a 99.

I know first-hand that it is 100% factual, because my son was there as well. These are kids after all, our kids, and we allow clubs and coaches to manipulate and lie to them.

glilv

• Mite
  • LR Justice +7/-0
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2017, 03:04:11 PM »

I know first-hand that it is 100% factual, because my son was there as well. These are kids after all, our kids, and we allow clubs and coaches to manipulate and lie to them.

I don't doubt it for a minute, especially after witnessing the tryouts personally

gr8wrk

• AHL
  • LR Justice +40/-71
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2017, 11:52:13 AM »

I don't doubt it for a minute, especially after witnessing the tryouts personally

For goalies especially, it does have a lot to do with who you know and where you played last year and did you show an interest in a new team during the season and even in the off season.  As a parent, you have to be pro-active - way more than you think to get a goalie on a coach's radar.  This means (politely) talking to other coaches during the end of one season and finding out where their heads are at for next season.  That's how we got on a team once, just based on a 5-minute conversation I had with a coach at a tournament where I said "we're not sure where we'll end up, but we'd like you to consider us if we show up."

Now we're at Prep School and it's just as true there about 'who you know' to get to the next level (jrs or college) - if you want to know how to get into prep school PM me separately.  We're emailing JRs and Colleges and having some limited success in getting responses, but when our school coach emails someone, it's almost 100% response.  And our goalie coach has been helpful, he's a NAHL scout as well so he has a lot of connections.  But before you go to a NAHL camp, make sure you know the situation - do they have returning goalies? how did they do last year?  If you want to go just for the experience, that's cool, but coaches have very unpredictable ways of selecting their goalies.  We went to a camp earlier this month and there were 12 goalies.  At the end they narrow it down to top 4 and those get invited back to main camp.  We were there for 4 days and he played in 8 periods of play and let in 5 goals, by far the fewest of any goalie (and I watched every game and every goalie).  Other kids were telling him he was by far the best goalie out there and was a shoo-in to get invited back.  In the end, they picked 3 local kids who were awful and 1 kid who was pretty good.  Later we found out that they expect both of their goalies from last year to return so they just didn't care who they picked because it was already decided who they wanted.

At least we got 8 games in and had a pretty good time being together.   We have a few more camps to attend, and we're doing our homework now.  Our prep-school coach is helping us with a few colleges and those seem promising. 

Just let me remind everyone who is thinking of playing beyond 16 or 18AAA - it is a huge commitment!  Every kid who  has gotten into the NAHL, USHL, WHL or other Tier2/Tier1 league has to make tremendous sacrifices.  Money, time away from home, missing school, missing girlfriends missing family.  All of it.  Your kid must be 100% committed to the end goal or it won't work.  I have incredible respect for any kid that makes it that far as I know how much my kid has given up and the discussions around the family table about college and family.  But he wants it so he's willing to work incredibly hard to make it happen and so he has my respect and admiration.