This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: The end of the Titans?  (Read 48984 times)

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
Re: The end of the Titans?
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2017, 07:45:38 AM »
CAHA is concerned about fielding 1-2 competitive teams on the national stage at each birth year and that is about it. 

CAHA's intentions at the lower levels is non-existent or worse.  An $865,000 money grab for the city of San Jose making all 12, 14 & 16 AA players go up there over Labor Day.  Nice use of resources, good job, way to grow the sport! 

It's on a parent to develop their player, CAHA isn't doing shit.

There might be a lot of reasons to dislike the system but claiming it is a "money grab" isn't borne by the facts.  Subtract expenses and we are not talking about much money. 

islandhockey

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +13/-4
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2017, 07:53:21 AM »
What the heck are the JK and JD afraid of?  Outside of CAHA, they don't even play in the same league.  JK afraid of being embarrassed by their "perceived" lesser competitors like when they fell to the Gulls last season?  Or, perhaps they are afraid of being embarrassed by those they cut who went to the Titans who now have two solid goalies?  Let the kids play...it is their best chance at scout exposure and away from the select camps that we all know are extremely biased towards them. 

Avcadet

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +7/-7
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2017, 09:40:35 AM »
CAHA is concerned about fielding 1-2 competitive teams on the national stage at each birth year and that is about it. 

CAHA's intentions at the lower levels is non-existent or worse.  An $865,000 money grab for the city of San Jose making all 12, 14 & 16 AA players go up there over Labor Day.  Nice use of resources, good job, way to grow the sport! 

It's on a parent to develop their player, CAHA isn't doing shit.
My son's team made it to the CAHA playoffs last season. During one of the games, I ended up sitting next to a CAHA director. I asked him why if there are more teams down south why all of the playoffs, etc. are held in San Jose. His comment back was that was due to there being 4 rinks available at one location. He thought that maybe after the new Ducks rink is built in Irvine perhaps they can move some of the activities down south. Not buying it...just passing on his comments.

Ziegler

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +28/-13
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2017, 10:25:57 AM »
I think that is a legit response. It's a nice facility and can accommodate multiple divisions due to the 4 sheets. But to your point...Once the Great Park complex is done they can bid not only on Districts but Nationals as well. Good for So Cal when that happens

gr8wrk

• AHL
  • LR Justice +40/-71
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2017, 07:45:26 AM »
There should only be 2 So. CA nd 1 No. CA AAA teams at all levels and it should not always be Kings, Ducks or Sharks!

I agree with the premise that AAA should not always be Kings, Ducks or Sharks.  This is America people, home of the free market!  If a Club can attract AAA talent they should be allowed to foster and grow that talent.  Rinks are full of kids right now and I'm tired of hearing that there aren't enough good players to field more than 2 AAA teams in SoCal.  The only thing keeping them down is the insanity of the CAHA board changing the rules every freakin' year and the JK's constantly having coaches that parents and kids can't stand so they have to keep shifting the rules to prevent competition.  SoCal is losing talent as I've said many times because there is a lack of choice and there is no scouting here and there is no reason to scout here because there AREN'T ENOUGH TEAMS to draw scouts or OUTSIDE TALENT.

This month's rubber magazine lists the 5-6 kids who got into the 2017 NHL draft and it amazingly admitted that most of them left SoCal after their PeeWee years.  Is that what CAHA wants? The only way to get into central scouting is by leaving after PeeWee?????

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2017, 03:16:02 PM »
Let's face it.  CAHA is just out of step with both USA Hockey and the more established youth hockey markets.

Look at the Atlantic Youth Hockey League.  18 teams, all birth year AAA at multiple age groups.  12 AAA 18u teams this season.  And this is in an area with robust High school hockey leagues.

The Boston Hockey League has 18 clubs, all of which have AAA birth year teams at multiple age groups.

The goal in all these markets is to get kids into AAA competition, not keep them out.  There are enough economic factors at work here that already do that. 

USA Hockey says not to over specialize at a young age, and not to pick winners and losers at this age either, and that is what the CAHA system is doing at present.   

« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 06:08:58 PM by lcadad »

DroptheGloves

• Mite
  • LR Justice +15/-27
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2017, 10:48:22 PM »
Let's face it.  CAHA is just out of step with both USA Hockey and the more established youth hockey markets.

Look at the Atlantic Youth Hockey League.  18 teams, all birth year AAA at multiple age groups.  12 AAA 18u teams this season.  And this is in an area with robust High school hockey leagues.

The Boston Hockey League has 18 clubs, all of which have AAA birth year teams at multiple age groups.

The goal in all these markets is to get kids into AAA competition, not keep them out.  There are enough economic factors at work here that already do that. 

USA Hockey says not to over specialize at a young age, and not to pick winners and losers at this age either, and that is what the CAHA system is doing at present.   

Here it is in a nutshell.  The problem with CAHA is so obvious ....The President...never played. The VP..never played. 2nd VP...never played. 3rd VP...Club hockey in Oregon and a beer league champ...4th VP never played !!!!   NONE of them have ever played the game...how on earth can they develop kids in a sport they have never even played?  There has to be hockey knowledge at the top!!!  Let's get some hockey people in charge to run this state's hockey association the right way. There are a few names on the board with a lot of hockey talent and actual hockey experience...but they are buried down low with very little say so.   CAHA has become a laughing stock to all those that understand the wonderful game of hockey and the number of kids leaving the state to better themselves will continue to increase until they pull their collective heads out of their ......

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2017, 11:10:58 PM »

Here it is in a nutshell.  The problem with CAHA is so obvious ....The President...never played. The VP..never played. 2nd VP...never played. 3rd VP...Club hockey in Oregon and a beer league champ...4th VP never played !!!!   NONE of them have ever played the game...how on earth can they develop kids in a sport they have never even played?  There has to be hockey knowledge at the top!!!  Let's get some hockey people in charge to run this state's hockey association the right way. There are a few names on the board with a lot of hockey talent and actual hockey experience...but they are buried down low with very little say so.   CAHA has become a laughing stock to all those that understand the wonderful game of hockey and the number of kids leaving the state to better themselves will continue to increase until they pull their collective heads out of their ......

While I don't think it hurts I am not sure that playing the game of hockey adds that much to being able to successful manage a hockey organization.  Many owners never played the game. 

Would it disqualify a Surgeon from removing your cancer if he had not had cancer himself?

Portent

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +20/-7
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2017, 09:13:52 AM »
For those who have been around for a bit on these forums, what CAHA is doing is what several have complained about in the past.
Several years ago AAA at most levels was being diluted by parents and clubs who felt their snowflake should be on a AAA team. You had some power houses back than at LA Selects and Jr Kings. The Jr Ducks AAA was a not very competitive. Anyways you always had the 3rd and 4th liners who felt they should be first liners. They often left to go to other clubs to be the first liners. Those teams than had to get questionable AA players to fill out the rosters. So in the end you had teams that maybe had 3 or 4 kids that could be AAA caliber subsidized with non-AAA kids. If you want to look at the biggest culprit of this look at the Wildcats out of KHS. For years people would complain about clubs like this and how they were diluting AAA in SoCal and how it was preventing the "true" AAA teams from finding good local competition to play against. Parents would complain that CAHA should do something because it was a waste of money, time, and fairness that their little superstar team had to waste a weekend playing against another team with disgruntled 3rd/4th liners or cut kids from tryouts. They suggested that CAHA either limit the number of teams allowed to play AAA, or suggest that there be a seeding based of a preseason type tournament (sound familiar). Even suggesting that CAHA should force teams to drop if they don't believe that the lower teams can be competitive.
Now the pendulum is swinging the other way. Seams to me that CAHA is "listening" to the people.
I do not support or object to what CAHA is doing, I really don't care. But I have been an observer on these forums since they started, a coach at a few clubs, and have had a child go through the system and another mid way through.
I do support Puck Yeah's comment that because you have not played means that you cannot successfully manage a program.
So how do you find the happy place. Limited the number of teams to keep them competitive against each other and to insure they play against other kids at the same caliber regardless if it stymies market control.
Or let the market decide and dilute the system where the top talent keeps leaving because the system is too diluted. Either way, people will leave to go back east because they can and feel that is what is right for them.

DroptheGloves

• Mite
  • LR Justice +15/-27
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2017, 09:32:04 AM »

While I don't think it hurts I am not sure that playing the game of hockey adds that much to being able to successful manage a hockey organization.  Many owners never played the game. 

Would it disqualify a Surgeon from removing your cancer if he had not had cancer himself?

So Puck Yea is on the board !!! lol    A Surgeon has been trained,groomed, walked the walk and learned how to evolve into a Surgeon.  The current top end board members have never played single A hockey let alone groom a successful AAA program...how can they possibly know what they are doing or know how to shape something they have never had their hands on...your Surgeon analogy carries no weight!!!   you cannot learn how to groom a hockey player or hockey program when you do not even know how to skate !!! Then your comment "many owners have never played"  DUH!!!  look around and count how many former players are running these organizations for the "owners that have never played"...there is a reason. Because the owner is trying to develop a winner and does not know how to skate!!!

CEO

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +40/-14
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2017, 11:26:29 AM »
For those who have been around for a while Portent is right on.  But no matter what the situation there are going to be those who will never be happy and always complain, that's just life.  If you are honest with yourself about your kids abilities you will find the right answers.  For those who are not honest with themselves they will continue to complain and chase.

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2017, 09:27:20 PM »

So Puck Yea is on the board !!! lol    A Surgeon has been trained,groomed, walked the walk and learned how to evolve into a Surgeon.  The current top end board members have never played single A hockey let alone groom a successful AAA program...how can they possibly know what they are doing or know how to shape something they have never had their hands on...your Surgeon analogy carries no weight!!!   you cannot learn how to groom a hockey player or hockey program when you do not even know how to skate !!! Then your comment "many owners have never played"  DUH!!!  look around and count how many former players are running these organizations for the "owners that have never played"...there is a reason. Because the owner is trying to develop a winner and does not know how to skate!!!

That settles it. You win the the debate by virtue of the number of exclamation points used!!!     This is obviously an emotional issue for you.  Me? not so much.  I used a surgeon example as a generalization.  I could have used any number of examples.  Picking apart a generalization to advance your own argument seems a bit over the top to me.  Sometimes an argument is so devoid of substance that it becomes invincible.  You win.  It won't change a damn thing but, you win.  Feel better?  Take a xanax and climb down off the wall.  You are ruining the drapes.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 06:40:11 AM by Puck Yeah »

coachbombay

« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2017, 09:26:41 AM »
take deep breath P.Y. and relax. you are going to have a nervous breakdown. you make some good points at times, but he was just pointing out your analogy didn't make any sense this time. you need to grow a thicker skin if you want to keep posting here.

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2017, 03:17:09 PM »
take deep breath P.Y. and relax. you are going to have a nervous breakdown. you make some good points at times, but he was just pointing out your analogy didn't make any sense this time. you need to grow a thicker skin if you want to keep posting here.

I don't no where you get the impression that I am the least bit bothered but the post.  I was actually pointing out how over the top it was to use more than a dozen exclamation points.  Just like yelling doesn't improve ones point neither does it in the written word. 

I stand by my position that is is silly to presume that you must be or have been a hockey player to be capable of managing an organization.   

Next thing you know you two will suggest you must be a politician to be President.......

DroptheGloves

• Mite
  • LR Justice +15/-27
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2017, 07:02:53 PM »

I don't no where you get the impression that I am the least bit bothered but the post.  I was actually pointing out how over the top it was to use more than a dozen exclamation points.  Just like yelling doesn't improve ones point neither does it in the written word.

I stand by my position that is is silly to presume that you must be or have been a hockey player to be capable of managing an organization.   

Next thing you know you two will suggest you must be a politician to be President.......

And there in lies the problem. You just don't get it, as does the board of CAHA.  Do you think Philip Anschutz knows anything about putting a great hockey team together?  Or did he hire Rob Blake to make it work?  That is my analogy and it make far more sense than any argument you have made.  The upper, decision making board is made up on NON Hockey people trying to make Hockey sense.  Evidently you have never played the game or my point would make sense to you.  And no,  you do not have to be a politician to be President you have to be a politician to be Presidential  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!