This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: The end of the Titans?  (Read 51668 times)

1hockeydad

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-3
Re: The end of the Titans?
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2017, 05:44:16 PM »
[quote author=1hockeydad link=topic=3641.msg42827#msg42827 date=1500581617

Just heard that CAHA is under pressure from JK and JD clubs to force the Titans to quit AAA.  The guise is that AAA hickey in CA is "too diluted. "  So, effort is underway to have CAHA ask NAPHL to kick the Titans out of their umbrella.

On so many levels I find this sick, sad, and disgusting.   No wonder in the youth hockey world that CA hockey is considered a joke and so bad politically.

I feel bad for kids in SD, and those who joined up with the Titans.  The organization and the kids deserve better.

does this have anything to do with them losing their AAA programs, because i don't see any other teams declared except for the two AAA teams.

from caha rules

b. Member Associations fielding Tier I teams shall maintain a minimum of two (2) teams at the Tier II level in the current and previous season. c. With Youth Council’s recommendation, the CAHA board has the

Titans have had U18 and U16 AAA for a number of seasons.

coachbombay

« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2017, 06:34:05 PM »
it says teams must field 2 current AA teams if they want to make a AAA team.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 06:36:27 PM by coachbombay »

Face Wash

• Midget
  • LR Justice +16/-91
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2017, 10:47:44 AM »
They only have 1 AA team at the Mariners which is their feeder club!

CahaMama

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-5
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2017, 11:19:36 AM »
Per the Mariners website, it shows they have 12UAA and 14UAA. I thought there was a 16UAA team as well, although it isn't listed right now.

Pass_the_puck

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-2
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2017, 11:36:22 AM »
Per the Mariners website, it shows they have 12UAA and 14UAA. I thought there was a 16UAA team as well, although it isn't listed right now.

The Mariners don't update their website often. There is only a 14UAA team.

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2017, 12:28:20 PM »

The Mariners don't update their website often. There is only a 14UAA team.

They declared a 16AA on SCAHA.  From the rumors (yes, rumors) I have heard, it will just be a filler for qualifying the Titans.

WIPIH

• Mite
  • LR Justice +4/-6
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2017, 07:41:17 PM »
Last yearJK only had one bantam AA team but had two AAA teams in 14u division. Rules are meant for clubs other than JK , JD etc

DFENS

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-23
  • Gruntled
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2017, 12:18:31 AM »
Last yearJK only had one bantam AA team but had two AAA teams in 14u division. Rules are meant for clubs other than JK , JD etc

The rule requires two AA teams at any level. They don't have to be in the same age group.

Face Wash

• Midget
  • LR Justice +16/-91
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2017, 11:51:59 PM »
They are trying to put together a 16AA team made up of JV high school players so they can keep their AAA team.  But if CAHA does what they say they will do at the Jamboree they will move the 16AA team down to A and there goes the AAA team!

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2017, 07:05:30 AM »
They are trying to put together a 16AA team made up of JV high school players so they can keep their AAA team.  But if CAHA does what they say they will do at the Jamboree they will move the 16AA team down to A and there goes the AAA team!

I am not sure that is the goal of the flight system.  If I understand it correctly, the lesser teams will be assigned to the 2nd flight but will remain AA.  The tier I rule only says two AA teams must be "maintained". 

DustyBender

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +4/-18
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2017, 10:26:16 AM »
Rumors are circulating that the 16AAA Titans would play in the NAPHL, and also play 16AA in CAHA. Anyone?

CEO

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +40/-14
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2017, 12:52:11 PM »
I have no personal insight on the situation or rumor, but I doubt the NAPHL allows a AA team to play in their league.

Hockeyhog

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2017, 09:33:06 PM »
There you go...

http://naphl.com/teams/

And according to SCAHA, Mariners declared 18AA, 16AA, 14AA, and 12AA, but I believe status quo is that they'll have 16AA and 14AA, which still qualifies them for tier I.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 09:44:59 PM by Hockeyhog »

Face Wash

• Midget
  • LR Justice +16/-91
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2017, 02:37:12 PM »
There you go...

http://naphl.com/teams/

And according to SCAHA, Mariners declared 18AA, 16AA, 14AA, and 12AA, but I believe status quo is that they'll have 16AA and 14AA, which still qualifies them for tier I.

I believe that they were granted admission to the NAPHL based on their status being at the AAA level.

gr8wrk

• AHL
  • LR Justice +40/-71
« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2017, 09:14:22 PM »
For those who have been around for a bit on these forums, what CAHA is doing is what several have complained about in the past.
Several years ago AAA at most levels was being diluted by parents and clubs who felt their snowflake should be on a AAA team. You had some power houses back than at LA Selects and Jr Kings. The Jr Ducks AAA was a not very competitive. Anyways you always had the 3rd and 4th liners who felt they should be first liners. They often left to go to other clubs to be the first liners. Those teams than had to get questionable AA players to fill out the rosters. So in the end you had teams that maybe had 3 or 4 kids that could be AAA caliber subsidized with non-AAA kids. If you want to look at the biggest culprit of this look at the Wildcats out of KHS. For years people would complain about clubs like this and how they were diluting AAA in SoCal and how it was preventing the "true" AAA teams from finding good local competition to play against. Parents would complain that CAHA should do something because it was a waste of money, time, and fairness that their little superstar team had to waste a weekend playing against another team with disgruntled 3rd/4th liners or cut kids from tryouts. They suggested that CAHA either limit the number of teams allowed to play AAA, or suggest that there be a seeding based of a preseason type tournament (sound familiar). Even suggesting that CAHA should force teams to drop if they don't believe that the lower teams can be competitive.
Now the pendulum is swinging the other way. Seams to me that CAHA is "listening" to the people.
I do not support or object to what CAHA is doing, I really don't care. But I have been an observer on these forums since they started, a coach at a few clubs, and have had a child go through the system and another mid way through.
I do support Puck Yeah's comment that because you have not played means that you cannot successfully manage a program.
So how do you find the happy place. Limited the number of teams to keep them competitive against each other and to insure they play against other kids at the same caliber regardless if it stymies market control.
Or let the market decide and dilute the system where the top talent keeps leaving because the system is too diluted. Either way, people will leave to go back east because they can and feel that is what is right for them.
Actually KHS proved that you could start an AAA program and make it successful if CAHA hadn't changed the rules 'after the season was over'.  True, for the first 2 years of their AAA program the teams weren't as competitive as the established clubs, but for god's sake give them a year or two to build.  Hell, the Ducks couldn't field a decent AAA team for years because of OC so they had to buy OC to do it. Same with the Kings buying LA Hockey - Kings couldn't field a decent AAA team either.  In their third year of AAA the Wildcats did very well and if CAHA really wanted a decent league in SoCal they would have thrown support behind them instead of hiding behind rules that only served to bolster the JKs.

Talent is going to flood out of CA for back east - look at the last Rubber Mag and compare how many California kids are now in Prep school as compared to previous years - it's triple.