This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: What AA Bantam Teams for 2018-19?  (Read 287551 times)

Strawman

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-47
Re: What AA Bantam Teams for 2018-19?
« Reply #165 on: June 01, 2018, 11:56:05 AM »
Knucklehead,
Use some mouthwash to get the tast of Peety out of your mouth. I don' know Peety personally, but I heard he' an outstanding coach.  To his credit, he found a niche that parents would eat up.  Hate to break it to you but if you want your lil Greyzky to go to prep school he can get in......as long as you open your wallet.   I know there are some schools that are the exception, but not the norm. Also, if you think you 4 foot 5 stick handler is going to improve his chances to going in the show, your as bright as a box of rocks. Even if you kid is top 10 at his $70k/ year prep school, he will most likely be playing at the Ducks adult league at 10pm on wed  night vs the guy that played Midget A and is now a $300k/year businessman.

Peety has done an awesome job moving kids on to prep school. For some, not only does Prep school offer a great education, it offers some great hockey which doesn't interfere with the academics! And yes, the cost to play/attend isn't much more (possibly less) than playing Ducks/Kings AAA when you factor in Airfare, hotels, rental cars, clinics, privates (all free at the prep school) access to a gym and the ability to enjoy stick time/extra ice time especially on the weekends (again, all free).

Here is a quiz for you:

The USHL recently had their draft; Phase one (2002's only - 160 players taken) and Phase two (open to all unsigned free agent players older than 2002 - approximately 300 taken)

Of the approximately 460 players taken, how many were actually playing in California when they were drafted? I believe 5.

http://draft.ushl.com/

Good post. And of those 460, how many players nationally were drafted out of the NE Prep School hockey programs?  Not many more.

dionnefan

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +18/-9
« Reply #166 on: June 01, 2018, 12:15:58 PM »
Knucklehead,
Use some mouthwash to get the tast of Peety out of your mouth. I don' know Peety personally, but I heard he' an outstanding coach.  To his credit, he found a niche that parents would eat up.  Hate to break it to you but if you want your lil Greyzky to go to prep school he can get in......as long as you open your wallet.   I know there are some schools that are the exception, but not the norm. Also, if you think you 4 foot 5 stick handler is going to improve his chances to going in the show, your as bright as a box of rocks. Even if you kid is top 10 at his $70k/ year prep school, he will most likely be playing at the Ducks adult league at 10pm on wed  night vs the guy that played Midget A and is now a $300k/year businessman.

Peety has done an awesome job moving kids on to prep school. For some, not only does Prep school offer a great education, it offers some great hockey which doesn't interfere with the academics! And yes, the cost to play/attend isn't much more (possibly less) than playing Ducks/Kings AAA when you factor in Airfare, hotels, rental cars, clinics, privates (all free at the prep school) access to a gym and the ability to enjoy stick time/extra ice time especially on the weekends (again, all free).

Here is a quiz for you:

The USHL recently had their draft; Phase one (2002's only - 160 players taken) and Phase two (open to all unsigned free agent players older than 2002 - approximately 300 taken)

Of the approximately 460 players taken, how many were actually playing in California when they were drafted? I believe 5.

Good post. And of those 460, how many players nationally were drafted out of the NE Prep School hockey programs?  Not many more.

The better question is how many were playing in the state of Minnesota? Too many to count. A lot of players came out of Minnesota and also the NAHL.

I'm not passing judgement on any particular path, I'm just looking at the facts as I make decisions for my kids (and thought I'd share).
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 12:16:22 PM by dionnefan »

Voice in ur head

• Mite
  • LR Justice +29/-15
« Reply #167 on: June 01, 2018, 01:27:07 PM »
Regardless of path, if the player is that good he will be noticed. Wether AAA pre school, college, juniors, or an accounting office, if someone has that kind of game it won’t stay quiet for long

socalhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +31/-57
« Reply #168 on: June 01, 2018, 01:31:24 PM »
Knucklehead,

Here is a quiz for you:

Well...I see 7 NE Prep schools in the top 50. So....a little difference. However, right that is besides the point as Prep school kids are taking a different path...not a right or wrong path, jsut different.

InDZone

• Mite
  • LR Justice +4/-2
« Reply #169 on: June 01, 2018, 01:33:44 PM »
Is it true that there is a lot of FREE hockey going around in OC? rumor has it that that is how Empire lost some of their kids!!!

I heard something similar too. Heard a certain team may be giving players discounts for recruiting last years teammates.
[/quote

I'm hearing it from a few different people so I guess it's not just a rumor.

I guess a lot of people will be drinking the new kool-aid tonight (orange juice)! Oh I forgot they are changing their logo (must be a disguise)

Well with free hockey and discounts flying around they may have a parking lot full of people tonight.

Rub One Out

• Mite
  • LR Justice +42/-2
« Reply #170 on: June 01, 2018, 01:43:15 PM »
LOL, are you guys new to California hockey??  If you think that this is the first time "scholarships" have been offered to players, you've had your head in the sand far too long.  Sounds like people are just jealous that their kid isn't getting offered any discounts to play...

Knuckle Puck

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +56/-11
« Reply #171 on: June 01, 2018, 01:51:35 PM »

I see 43. Another dozen from Midwest preps SSM & Culver.  More than the entire T1 Elite league. But who's counting?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 01:52:00 PM by Knuckle Puck »

Strawman

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-47
« Reply #172 on: June 01, 2018, 02:06:49 PM »
Knucklehead,

Here is a quiz for you:

Well...I see 7 NE Prep schools in the top 50. So....a little difference. However, right that is besides the point as Prep school kids are taking a different path...not a right or wrong path, jsut different.

You might have learned the new math, I don't see that.  I see 1 in Phase I, and 3 in Phase II, if you don't count South Kent Selects Academy, which isn't a NE "prep" program.

Strawman

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-47
« Reply #173 on: June 01, 2018, 02:07:53 PM »

I see 43. Another dozen from Midwest preps SSM & Culver.  More than the entire T1 Elite league. But who's counting?

You must be counting kids from New England, not kids from NE Prep schools.  There are precious few of those.

glilv

• Mite
  • LR Justice +7/-0
« Reply #174 on: June 01, 2018, 02:41:13 PM »
Regardless of how you spin it, we are seeing  2002 and 2003 kids leaving California in droves (especially the ones that played at a higher level)

CahaMama

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-5
« Reply #175 on: June 01, 2018, 02:57:56 PM »
Regardless of how you spin it, we are seeing  2002 and 2003 kids leaving California in droves (especially the ones that played at a higher level)

Or headed to Tahoe. Lots of kids headed up that way next season.

Landshark

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +77/-47
« Reply #176 on: June 01, 2018, 03:06:37 PM »
DF is the best. His insights should be in blog form and ive told him this many times.

My only addition is that if someone is begging you to join a team, it is usually a better experience than when you are begging to get your kid on a team. This goes for prep, AAA, AA and A.

Knuckle Puck

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +56/-11
« Reply #177 on: June 01, 2018, 03:13:02 PM »
You might have learned the new math, I don't see that.  I see 1 in Phase I, and 3 in Phase II, if you don't count South Kent Selects Academy, which isn't a NE "prep" program.

SKS describes themselves as a prep school team playing in the NE league, so I count them even if their idea of rigorous academics is coloring inside the lines. Other schools represented in USHL draft include Avon Old Farms, Taft, Thayer, Exeter, Belmont Hill,
Salisbury, St. Seb's, Loomis Chaffee, Gunnery, blah, blah, blah why am i doing this for you just look closer. Cheers.

glilv

• Mite
  • LR Justice +7/-0
« Reply #178 on: June 01, 2018, 03:49:26 PM »
CahaMama, is your son going there too?

Strawman

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-47
« Reply #179 on: June 01, 2018, 06:22:42 PM »

SKS describes themselves as a prep school team playing in the NE league, so I count them even if their idea of rigorous academics is coloring inside the lines. Other schools represented in USHL draft include Avon Old Farms, Taft, Thayer, Exeter, Belmont Hill,
Salisbury, St. Seb's, Loomis Chaffee, Gunnery, blah, blah, blah why am i doing this for you just look closer. Cheers.

Do the NE Prep programs have some kids in the draft?  Sure, nobody's denying that, but my point was that they are very small numbers.  When people are making that kind of commitment because they have stars in their eyes, however, I understand the actual math needs to be (as you put it) just "blah, blah, blah," so I won't bother arguing the facts with you.  You are correct that SKS has a "Prep" program, but if you look carefully at the draft list, the kids drafted into the USHL don't come from there.  They come from the SKS "Academy."  Equating the two is like confusing Shattuck with Shinola.

But getting back to Bantam AA hockey, good luck tonight to everyone!!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 06:26:43 PM by Strawman »