This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: PeeWee A 2018/2019  (Read 100365 times)

2 Cups in LA

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +8/-31
Re: PeeWee A 2018/2019
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2018, 08:49:27 AM »
Based off what I've seen in the local Labor Day Tournaments and pre-season.   It looks like Wave 1 & Kings 1 will be the teams to beat in the up coming season.   Some of the watered down PWAA teams should be moved down and they know who they are.

alfirst

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-39
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2018, 09:29:09 AM »
Flights for PWAA are published already on CAHA and if I remember correctly it's only Flyers from SoCal that drops to PWA. OC stayed in Flight II
Do not think any teams will be dropped from PWA - but maybe...

Oldman Hockey

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-0
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2018, 10:11:24 AM »
Kudos to the Kings 1 coaching staff yesterday. They were losing 3-0 to the Heat in the first period, when the coaching staff made one adjustment, which turned the game around completely, with the Kings dominating the Heat the rest of the way. I was impressed that the coaches picked up on what the Heat were doing and made the adjustment. Rarely do you see coaches at this level that can make adjustments during the game.

2 Cups in LA

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +8/-31
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2018, 11:19:17 AM »
I'm not surprised by the Kings 1 adjustments against the Heat.   They will be a solid team all year.    Does anyone know anything about that Wave 1 team?   They just keep winning.

alfirst

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-39
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2018, 11:58:23 AM »
OK, early season predictions:

Play-off teams Kings 1, Ducks 2, Wave 1, Gulls 1 and 2, Heat

Fighting for last 2 play-off spots (VERY dependable on schedule) - in no particular order -  Empire, OC2, Goldrush 1 and 2, Condors, Bears, Mariners.
 And Flyers if/when dropped from AA.

If schedule gets really tough for the first 6 teams - say, e.g. Heat - then there will be 3 (or more) open spots left... 

SDhockeydad07

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-2
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2018, 09:01:45 AM »
I'm not surprised by the Kings 1 adjustments against the Heat.   They will be a solid team all year.    Does anyone know anything about that Wave 1 team?   They just keep winning.

Wave1 have 2 kids who could/should be playing AA. They're big, skilled and smart with the puck. They also have a number of other large 06 kids. They have 2 goalies, both of whom are large and play very well.

Gulls 3 (predominantly 08s) was outshot by a 2-1 ratio, but definitely had their chances.  They only lost 3-1, though the gulls one goal was on a penalty shot.

I think their main weakness is speed. Get a good team with some burners and it will trouble wave 1.

As for those playoff predictions, I would put Gulls1 above Gulls 2, and I would put Gulls3 on the bubble.... but you're right, it really depends on strength of schedule.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 10:37:16 AM by SDhockeydad07 »

2 Cups in LA

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +8/-31
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2018, 01:35:09 PM »
SD Dad, your response has some validation to it.   I watched some of  the Labor Day Tournament games at TSC.   That Wave 1 team has some good players who are playing in the right division  (PWA).    Maybe some of the PWAA teams that are currently overwhelmed  need to move down and some of these 08's need more seasoning in SQA?  "Playing up is not an exact science"

FrozenInSoCal

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2018, 09:49:33 PM »

Wave1 have 2 kids who could/should be playing AA. They're big, skilled and smart with the puck. They also have a number of other large 06 kids. They have 2 goalies, both of whom are large and play very well.

Gulls 3 (predominantly 08s) was outshot by a 2-1 ratio, but definitely had their chances.  They only lost 3-1, though the gulls one goal was on a penalty shot.

I think their main weakness is speed. Get a good team with some burners and it will trouble wave 1.

As for those playoff predictions, I would put Gulls1 above Gulls 2, and I would put Gulls3 on the bubble.... but you're right, it really depends on strength of schedule.

All about strength of schedule. Sucks all the teams can’t play against each other. Wish there were a way to either limit number of teams in a division or add more games. Wave 2 tied condors and oc2, and have bears this weekend, all of which are bubble teams according to previous poster. Should they also be considered bubble? Again, strength of schedule. Let’s wait until schedule comes out before making more predictions.

Laking2018

« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2018, 09:18:57 AM »
Oldman hockey what did the kings coaching adjust vs the heat. What was the heat doing?

Oldman Hockey

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-0
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2018, 09:49:32 AM »
Laking2018...I wouldn't do that to the Heat. I wouldn't put that information out there. The coaches of the teams playing the Heat will have to figure it out. My post was just a statement on how I was impressed that the Kings coaching staff picked up on it. Rarely do I see any coaches at this level being capable of seeing something and making adjustments during the game.

SDhockeydad07

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-2
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2018, 11:57:58 AM »
Laking2018...I wouldn't do that to the Heat. I wouldn't put that information out there. The coaches of the teams playing the Heat will have to figure it out. My post was just a statement on how I was impressed that the Kings coaching staff picked up on it. Rarely do I see any coaches at this level being capable of seeing something and making adjustments during the game.

I think there are plenty of coaches who can pick out what a team is doing and knows what adjustments can be made to counter.  The problems lies in getting 12-20 nine to twelve year olds to understand what the coach is saying when he tries to adjust.  Having coached this age before, I know first-hand that you can give your youth players a clear, concise and simple instruction, to which they will nod and shout "yes coach!" .... and then run out onto the field and do the exact opposite of what you just told them to do. You're simply herding cats until they get to high school and can understand and make adjustments on the fly at least part of the time.

PuckMonster

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-0
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2018, 04:17:30 PM »

I think there are plenty of coaches who can pick out what a team is doing and knows what adjustments can be made to counter.  The problems lies in getting 12-20 nine to twelve year olds to understand what the coach is saying when he tries to adjust.  Having coached this age before, I know first-hand that you can give your youth players a clear, concise and simple instruction, to which they will nod and shout "yes coach!" .... and then run out onto the field and do the exact opposite of what you just told them to do. You're simply herding cats until they get to high school and can understand and make adjustments on the fly at least part of the time.

You just need more kids, when they do not listen roll lines.

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2018, 05:06:57 PM »
At PWA coach should already be rolling lines  :-\

Maverick

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +27/-11
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2018, 09:30:03 AM »
So Flyers (formerly AA) are shown in PWA now for regular season, and Oilers 2 (formerly BB).  looks like no one dropped out of PWA, 24 teams now.  The post season for some teams is really going to depend on the schedule now!

2 Cups in LA

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +8/-31
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2018, 11:58:19 AM »
OCHC1, Reign & Saints should be moved to PWBB as well?