This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: THA taking hugh steps!!!  (Read 32956 times)

hipcheck34

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +21/-111
  • I love the smell of ice....
THA taking hugh steps!!!
« on: August 07, 2018, 09:03:34 AM »
This is my sons 3rd and final year at THA, and I have to say this is the most he has been excited to start school since he started preschool. What a huge step THA took this year and now being to field 2 complete teams. One Prep Team and a Varsity High school team. The Prep team will be part of NAHL and NAFP. I remember the first year 17 kids second year 28 and this year they stand at 40 student athletes. Dont take this wrong as this isn't for every kid out there but if your son is serious you have to look into this program. I know it dosent come without its down falls, but what program does???

jvreagan

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-3
Re: THA taking hugh steps!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 09:23:18 AM »
I heard that they changed up the academic approach this year and are partnering with the local schools for academics - any insight you could share on that?

area51

• Midget
  • LR Justice +82/-61
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 10:25:56 AM »
This is my sons 3rd and final year at THA, and I have to say this is the most he has been excited to start school since he started preschool. What a huge step THA took this year and now being to field 2 complete teams. One Prep Team and a Varsity High school team. The Prep team will be part of NAHL and NAFP. I remember the first year 17 kids second year 28 and this year they stand at 40 student athletes. Dont take this wrong as this isn't for every kid out there but if your son is serious you have to look into this program. I know it dosent come without its down falls, but what program does???
serious about hockey or an education?

hipcheck34

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +21/-111
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 11:05:45 AM »
I heard that they changed up the academic approach this year and are partnering with the local schools for academics - any insight you could share on that?

They changed it up last year. The boys now have classes at South Lake Tahoe High School and also online courses. My south was very happy to have some classes at the HS. It also was a hugh with the support of the Team. When we held are first Prep Tournament last year the rink was packed for all there games.

hipcheck34

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +21/-111
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 11:06:58 AM »
serious about hockey or an education?

Serious about both, They have a very strict on every player has to be at 3.0 or you dont skate at all.

Hockeykid

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +13/-3
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 09:54:04 PM »
Last season I was told by a THA player's parent that some of the teachers at the public HS were not so accommodating with the hockey players missing so many class days to play hockey. Therefore the hockey players grades suffered. Can anyone confirm? 

Hockeykid

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +13/-3
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 10:05:35 PM »
IMO the real measure of success for THA is how many of their players get accepted & graduate from college, since none will go NHL. 

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 09:39:25 AM »
I find it very refreshing that someone is happy with their current situation.

It sure doesn't take long for the negative trolls to come out and start bashing things. 

hipcheck34

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +21/-111
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 01:03:13 PM »
Last season I was told by a THA player's parent that some of the teachers at the public HS were not so accommodating with the hockey players missing so many class days to play hockey. Therefore the hockey players grades suffered. Can anyone confirm?

Im not sure about other kids but my son received a 3.4 GPA and scored 1150 on his first time taking his SAT and he has been there for 2 years going on 3. His freshman year her at VPHS he was at a 2.5 GPA ... SO I would have to say that something is going in the right direction.

hipcheck34

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +21/-111
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 01:19:06 PM »
IMO the real measure of success for THA is how many of their players get accepted & graduate from college, since none will go NHL.

The success is already showing they have doubled there attendance in 2 years thats pretty good I would say, my soon have many offers to go play JR's and decided his best interest was to finish his senior year and his offers should double. He will do a year of Juniors see how that goes and then off to NAU to get his engineer degree, unless for some reason he gets a better offer for college.

hipcheck34

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +21/-111
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2018, 08:00:07 AM »
Tahoe turned some more heads this weekend going 4-0 in Minnesota at the NAHLFP showcase. They are 13-3 and these boys are going in the right direction. They have some big games coming up in Chicago next week and then back at in Minnesota at the end of November. Keep rockin boys...

Hockey sophist

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +50/-98
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2018, 09:01:13 AM »
Tahoe turned some more heads this weekend going 4-0 in Minnesota at the NAHLFP showcase. They are 13-3 and these boys are going in the right direction. They have some big games coming up in Chicago next week and then back at in Minnesota at the end of November. Keep rockin boys...
This is awesome from a hockey perspective but with travel nearly on a scale of a professional football team, what about the education of these teenagers?   What will they be prepared to do for a living when the dream of a pro hockey career proves to be an honorable and wonderful fantasy?   

hipcheck34

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +21/-111
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2018, 09:33:17 AM »
This is awesome from a hockey perspective but with travel nearly on a scale of a professional football team, what about the education of these teenagers?   What will they be prepared to do for a living when the dream of a pro hockey career proves to be an honorable and wonderful fantasy?

Well I can only speak for my son who is excelling in there school program and is currently carrying a 3.5 GPA including 2 AP classes. He has plans of one year of Jr.s and then college. He knew long ago that the NHL wasn't his dream but maybe a scholarship alittle extra hockey and and education. Also took his first SAT and scored 1150 not to bad but wants to take it again to improve. We as parents are very happy with schooling and the program as he is finishing his 3rd year there and graduating..

CahaMama

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-5
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2018, 11:13:38 AM »
My son is attending his first year at THA. I had huge questions as to the quality of the program since my son was used to private school AP/Honors and other pretty advanced classes. I am not gonna lie and say it is the best education ever, but we will see. The hockey is clearly out of this world. The educational aspect is yet to be determined. My boy is a Jr and he just took the PSAT. Ill compare this year's results with last year's and see where we stand. He will take the SAT for the first time in May, so there's that. He has a few things going for him; he's self motivated and he has a momma who stays on him :)

jvreagan

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-3
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2018, 12:54:00 PM »
For what its worth, from my perspective this is the most informational thread on this board.  Would love to hear from other THA parents, especially around the educational aspect.  I'm also curious whether THA is mostly Western US players or where players are coming from. 

Thanks all for sharing.