This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: PW AA 2019-2020  (Read 242444 times)

ChainGun105

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-6
Re: PW AA 2019-2020
« Reply #495 on: March 06, 2020, 07:28:25 PM »

....former NHL players... asked about "the coach that was your favorite." 

They always respond two-fold.... BUT the S.O.B. that was hard, demanding, candid, stern, mean, etc (you get the idea) was always the coach they respected the most and the coach they revered for pushing them the hardest to succeed.  Every time I hear, "I hated him at first, but I love what he did for me as a player." 

Ice hockey is full of children...

... who burn out on the grind half way through high school.

Me thinks perspective helps here: These are 11-13 year old boys.  Things acceptable at 16-17 are not automatically acceptable for 6th and 7th graders.  A coach that has lost that perspective is someone a parent need not force their family to endure. 

That said, I have never given any of my son’s coaches my hockey opinion or pleaded for more ice time.  It is the coach’s team and he is the one volunteering his time.  Respecting that arrangement can be as easy as avoiding practices and keeping your coaching suggestions to yourself.

I find myself understanding the parents decision to change clubs more than the “have the 12-year old learn that dealing with a bad boss is part of life” crowd...  (6th and 7th graders). If these were high school upper classmen, I would be lining up with the life lesson crowd.

My unqualified opinion unleashed upon the interwebz...

BladesofSteel66

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +29/-22
« Reply #496 on: March 07, 2020, 09:35:11 AM »

They always respond two-fold.... BUT the S.O.B. that was hard, demanding, candid, stern, mean, etc (you get the idea) was always the coach they respected the most and the coach they revered for pushing them the hardest to succeed.  Every time I hear, "I hated him at first, but I love what he did for me as a player." 

Me thinks perspective helps here: These are 11-13 year old boys.  Things acceptable at 16-17 are not automatically acceptable for 6th and 7th graders.  A coach that has lost that perspective is someone a parent need not force their family to endure. 

That said, I have never given any of my son’s coaches my hockey opinion or pleaded for more ice time.  It is the coach’s team and he is the one volunteering his time.  Respecting that arrangement can be as easy as avoiding practices and keeping your coaching suggestions to yourself.

I find myself understanding the parents decision to change clubs more than the “have the 12-year old learn that dealing with a bad boss is part of life” crowd...  (6th and 7th graders). If these were high school upper classmen, I would be lining up with the life lesson crowd.

Very true.  Age matters for development.  I have also heard recent head coach interviews.  Specifically, Berube in St. Louis.  He said his approach had to change.  Coaching has changed.  You have to make every player feel important, feel special.  Basically, he was saying you can't be a Babcock anymore....   THANKS A LOT MILLENIALS!!!!! 

Strawman

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-47
« Reply #497 on: March 07, 2020, 12:29:09 PM »

Couldn't agree more.  These debates always remind me of Monty Python's Four Yorkshiremen sketch. https://youtu.be/ue7wM0QC5LE

« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 12:32:16 PM by Strawman »

ChainGun105

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-6
« Reply #498 on: March 12, 2020, 06:45:41 PM »
So...  Finals postponed.  9 hours into our drive south and the news arrives.  So, south of Burbank we switch from the rain and traffic jam on 5-south to the rain and traffic jam on 5-north...

Better half has started her driving shift and I am very bored with the road and rain, so...

How do folks think the 19-20 season will ultimately end?

A) Ducks given title (best regular season)
B) GSE-1 given title (best playdowns/playoffs)
C) No 2020 Tier 2 12U AA Champion
D) Ducks & Kings have a title game (reg season 1&2)
E) Ducks & GSE-1 have a title game (playdown’s 2-0 teams)
F) Full double-elim tourney in April
G) 4-way co-champions
H) Other

« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 10:06:29 PM by ChainGun105 »

Golden Knight

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +1/-3
« Reply #499 on: March 12, 2020, 10:24:23 PM »
So...  Finals postponed.  9 hours into our drive south and the news arrives.  So, south of Burbank we switch from the rain and traffic jam on 5-south to the rain and traffic jam on 5-north...

Better half has started her driving shift and I am very bored with the road and rain, so...

A) Ducks given title (best regular season)
B) GSE-1 given title (best playdowns/playoffs)
D) Ducks & Kings have a title game (reg season 1&2)
E) Ducks & GSE-1 have a title game (playdown’s 2-0 teams)
F) Full double-elim tourney in April
G) 4-way co-champions
H) Other

I can't believe they postponed the games to an unspecified date.  From what In hearing, I cant see all four teams being able to agree on a new date and/or have full teams at their disposal.  Kids have ski weeks, Spring Breaks, family vacations, or whatever else on the horizon.  Also, are teams supposed to practice?  Is CAHA going to pay for their ice time?  I cant think that people would want to keep paying more to continue practicing.  What about players that have committed to Spring tournaments a d checking clinics?  Honestly, I just dont see how you can move forward.

I dont think you can vacate a championship when they've already played so many games against each other and determined a clear order.  Ducks are clearly the best team as shown by their record.  The results might have changed over a final weekend, but I just cant see how all four teams will be at full strength or agree as to what weekends they can play.  I hate to say it, but I think CAHA has to award the Ducks the trophy as uncontested season champions and let these kids move on to their sports or whatever else they do in Spring.

ChainGun105

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-6
« Reply #500 on: March 12, 2020, 11:15:37 PM »
Ducks are clearly the best team as shown by their record. 
“Clearly the best team” in the postseason was GSE-1, 2 regulation wins in 2 games.  Then... you have the Ducks, 2 OT wins in 2 games.

The idea of a JrD v GSE-1 title game intrigues me most. 
- Short of that a vacated title or 4 way co-champs.

As for the potential delayed date...  Chi-Town is that same weekend and I reckon a lot of these kids are rostered on tourney teams for that...  Heck, there is also the Sweden/Belarus tourney from 4/17-27.  I know there are a few kids doing both.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 11:27:40 PM by ChainGun105 »

5lap5hot

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-7
« Reply #501 on: March 13, 2020, 08:07:56 AM »
I think the GSE1 and JRD have a game at some point. GSE 1 I think is the team to beat.

#4BobbyOrr

• Midget
  • LR Justice +98/-106
« Reply #502 on: March 13, 2020, 10:04:53 AM »
All SCAHA and CAHA seasons put on hold

BladesofSteel66

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +29/-22
« Reply #503 on: March 13, 2020, 12:44:00 PM »
All SCAHA and CAHA seasons put on hold

Hold???  No way this all starts up again.  Hit the pause button?  Can't re-start without losing players to other commitments.  It will be unclean! 

Beer Leaguer

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-2
« Reply #504 on: March 13, 2020, 12:53:20 PM »
NCAA has cancelled tournaments, spring seasons,USA hockey has cancelled nationals and all major professional sports are suspended indefinitely

This isn’t happening. Let’s not be delusional

2 Cups in LA

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +8/-31
« Reply #505 on: March 13, 2020, 01:33:03 PM »
All youth sports have been suspended.  I have confidence Scaha/Caha championships will resume in a few weeks.   It just screw up any April tournaments & traveling out of state.

Its Ducks 1 to loose with Kings 1 hopefully pulling off the upset when all is said & done?

BladesofSteel66

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +29/-22
« Reply #506 on: March 13, 2020, 01:45:25 PM »
If they were smart, they would have had some protocols in place weeks ago and pushed through this weekend THEN shut it down. 

fistocuffs

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +40/-61
« Reply #507 on: March 13, 2020, 01:58:27 PM »
Yes.  Escpecially the social distancing part of players on ice. Bench. And locker room.    The game would resemble bubble hockey when no one leaves their radius

ChainGun105

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-6
« Reply #508 on: March 13, 2020, 09:01:22 PM »

From the CAHA home page’s 3/13/20 6:28 PM Update: “Not contested”

I like it, I hope they stay with that. 

Golden Knight

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +1/-3
« Reply #509 on: March 13, 2020, 09:52:18 PM »

From the CAHA home page’s 3/13/20 6:28 PM Update: “Not contested”

I like it, I hope they stay with that. 

That's a shame.  The kids from those teams deserved better.  Award Gold and Silver to your top two teams by standings inclusive of Playdowns.  There is a reward for success over time, including success in playdowns leading towards the State Finals.  While to most adults this doesn't matter, to most of these kids this will be the height of their athletic achievement.  They are not guaranteed to ever play for this much again and many care about their "State Championship".

Those on the outside of the Final Four will always argue against awarding a championship in this way.  Those on the inside will also argue that they "had a shot".  Yet the number one team, in this case the Ducks, went wire to wire.  It is not even close by all metrics.  Since no one else has a claim (its not like GSE, Kings, or ID was tied in points, wins, or differential) CAHA should award the championship to the top team.  Leaving the championship as "uncontested" just invalidates their entire season and every game played under the CAHA banner. 

I feel horrible for all of the kids on those four teams, but CAHA should do the right thing here.