This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: 2019/20 Tier II Preseason Evaluation: aka Another giant waste of SoCal money  (Read 38151 times)

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121

Hello again my fellow Bantam AA victims,

Once again we have been summoned by our CAHA overlords to Norcal.  What's that you say?  Another Norcal adventure involving travel expenses, hotels, and loss of the traditional Labor day start of season tournaments that people enjoyed in prior decades?

And all this so that teams can "scrimmage" each other in < 50 minute running time format, and occasionally be evaluated in a secretive system involving coaches of various clubs which may or may not be highly biased, using unpublished pre jamboree rankings, along with subjective and undocumented criteria.  If that doesn't get you excited, then you should probably also know that the evaluators may be watching 10 minutes of one or 2 of your games or not at all, assuming there aren't any major changes from prior years.

While I could certainly bash the actual format and execution of the Jamboree on its merits, before I digress, I have a far simpler criticism. 

Why is the Jamboree once again in NorCal?  As this is the 3rd year of the Flight system, why is it that we are being expected to once again report to NorCal when the SoCal teams outnumber the NorCal teams by a 4-1 or even 5-1 ratio? 

Apparently nobody from CAHA stopped to think about the basic fairness involved in forcing 16 teams to bear the travel and housing costs for this charade, when the representation of teams is so incredibly unequal.  Based on representation, one would expect to have to travel to Norcal once every 4 seasons of this system, but instead, we're forced back to Norcal again for the 2nd time in 3 seasons. 

Let's get real.  There is very little reason for the Jamboree that requires travel.  Teams could play each other in pre-season games or scrimmages as was done in the old days and we'd get much the same level of evaluation and results.  So when people decry the ongoing series of CAHA mandates as favorable to Norcal organizations, teams and rinks, it's harder and harder for even the most vociferous devil's advocate argument to be made to the contrary unless you have the deluded view that SoCal hockey needs NorCal. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 10:45:01 AM by lcadad »

Hockey05

• Midget
  • LR Justice +59/-33
Is your son serious about hockey?  Do you think he has a bit of potential?  Why shouldn't he be able to play the best kids in his age group if he is on a lousy team? 

Any justification for flighting is wasted by the thousands we all spend traveling to that stupid event.  I'd rather have a few games that are blowouts during the season.     

« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 12:11:23 PM by Hockey05 »

TopCornzzz

• Mite
  • LR Justice +6/-9
Some simple math for CAHA to consider when making their decision to have every SOCAL AA Team travel to SJ for the "Jamboree".

45(ESTIMATED number of SoCal AA Teams traveling to SJ....PW, Bantam, Midget)
810(ESTIMATED number of SoCal AA players traveling to SJ....PW, Bantam, Midget....based on 18 player roster)
$1500(ESTIMATED cost for one parent and kid to travel to SJ for "Jamboree" weekend...flight, rental car, gas, hotels, food...)

$1,215,000(ESTIMATED AMOUNT OF MONEY SOCAL FAMILIES WILL SPEND TO PARTICIPATE IN THE "JAMBOREE" in San Jose!!)

These are just travel costs....there are club costs, missed work, missed school, etc. to consider as well.

Hopefully CAHA will see the financial stress this puts on most families and come up with a solution that is far more efficient and beneficial to the hockey families.

CAHA has a meeting coming up soon and I think any board member with an ounce of common sense will agree that there has to be a better way....

TopCornzzz

• Mite
  • LR Justice +6/-9
While I have my calculator out....how about this.

18 teams x 18 players x 3 divisons=972 AA players in total

Charge $30/player for a CAHA Evaluation fee....$29,160

Mandate that teams play in Labor Day Tournaments in CA

Spend the $29,160 to send CAHA evaluators to watch games at the tournaments...3 for each division or 9 total!

$3240 per evaluator for expenses and compensation.....Pretty sure some competent evaluators may sign up...maybe even evaluators without connections to clubs!

This would save every SoCal AA family an estimated $1470 in 2019!!!!

ABCDE

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +25/-8
I agree with Hockey05.  I'd much rather play a couple blowout games on win or lose side than waste all the money to go up to NorCal for another bs waste of money.  Last season, it was apparent they already had most of their picks for the flights before the Jamboree.  Why do we have to go to NorCal for the 3rd year in a row when most teams are from SoCal?  Why do we have the useless flighting anyway?  It's almost like the geniuses at CAHA feel they need to punish the lowly AA players.  I'd rather kick off the season by playing in a Labor Day tournament like we used to, rather than playing another stupid Jamboree with nothing but secrecy, no posted scores, no true evaluation.  Enough with the flighting and summoning us up to NorCal for the big money grab.

Strawman

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-47
I agree with Hockey05.  I'd much rather play a couple blowout games on win or lose side than waste all the money to go up to NorCal for another bs waste of money.  Last season, it was apparent they already had most of their picks for the flights before the Jamboree.  Why do we have to go to NorCal for the 3rd year in a row when most teams are from SoCal?  Why do we have the useless flighting anyway?  It's almost like the geniuses at CAHA feel they need to punish the lowly AA players.  I'd rather kick off the season by playing in a Labor Day tournament like we used to, rather than playing another stupid Jamboree with nothing but secrecy, no posted scores, no true evaluation.  Enough with the flighting and summoning us up to NorCal for the big money grab.

CAHA's prime directive is to put $$$$ in the pockets of the owners of the San Jose and Vacaville rinks.   

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91

CAHA's prime directive is to put $$$$ in the pockets of the owners of the San Jose and Vacaville rinks.

Even with flighting there are blow out games, look it up...

Hockey05

• Midget
  • LR Justice +59/-33
One can only hope some voice of reason at CAHA will consider the damage being done to the hockey families in this state.  This exercise is a burden of time, money and a lack of hockey development. 
We've covered it so many different ways.  The bottom 5 teams know they are in the lower half.  And at the top, you've got a team that is state champion for multiple years.  Why should the Bears have to travel to San Jose?  Just about any knowledgable hockey parent can tell you the top teams in the division.  The whole thing is unnecessary. 
Will CAHA do the right thing and represent our best interests?  I guess we will find out. 

NotfromSoCal

• Mite
  • LR Justice +4/-19
I believe this is CAHA, right.  CALIFORNIA goes all the way to the Oregon border to the North.  Put your selfish side in check for just a minute and look at this from the eyes of the individual families.  It really doesn't matter how many teams have to travel, what matters is how much is spent by each family.  There are still more events in SoCal than in NorCal, ergo NorCal families still spend more on travel for CAHA weekends, jamboree, playoffs, and finals.  The families and children don't own the rinks, they pay their own way.  Maybe find something nice to do while you are up here like drink some wine and relax!  Maybe enjoy a glass of water while you are here, it tastes better before it is infused with pesticides and piped to LA.  Just sayin'.

Landshark

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +77/-47
Proving once again that you don’t have to be a dickhead to live in Vacaville, but it sure helps you fit in.

NotfromSoCal

• Mite
  • LR Justice +4/-19

Landshark

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +77/-47
Well played not from So Cal.  But I will find you on one of my six trips north (three of which my son only plays other So. Cal teams) and launch into a respectful and tempered reproach of your analysis of the situation.  I am a southern California male after all.  :)

Bear71

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +34/-9
Looks like Valencia's envelope was the thickest for Bantam this year.

http://www.caha.com/tierIIweekends.pl

« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 09:35:39 AM by Bear71 »

Clue12345

• Mite
  • LR Justice +5/-5
To resolve this whole issue of travel for CAHA weekends, why doesn’t AA just follow the same as A hockey. Play all the SoCal teams during the season and then the top 2 travel and meet the northern top 2 teams for the state title? That system works well every year for A. Why does an extra A have to add so much unnecessary travel when we have plenty of teams to play in SoCal?

Teemu8

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +32/-18
To resolve this whole issue of travel for CAHA weekends, why doesn’t AA just follow the same as A hockey. Play all the SoCal teams during the season and then the top 2 travel and meet the northern top 2 teams for the state title? That system works well every year for A. Why does an extra A have to add so much unnecessary travel when we have plenty of teams to play in SoCal?

Because there are not enough AA teams up North.  Usually only 3 or 4 in Norcal and 14 or so down south.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 01:11:00 PM by Teemu8 »