This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Tryouts Postponed  (Read 16454 times)

BladesofSteel66

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +29/-22
Re: Tryouts Postponed
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2020, 09:04:45 PM »
Aug 14th is the earliest AAA tryout date "tentative" at this point.  So... yep.

alfirst

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-39
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2020, 10:57:30 AM »
I wonder of CAHA is waiting for USA Hockey congress in June - why even bother with those August "tentative" dates.

On the other hand I heard kids are skating all around. "Pressure to re-open" is mounting, I guess.

Landshark

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +77/-47
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2020, 11:46:12 AM »
How many kids will leave the state this year if the leadership doesn’t figure out something that sounds more concrete?  Waiting until August works for the neighborhood teams, but all of the top teams are going to lose players to situations and states that seem to be in a more certain environment.

Underground ice works for a while, but breaking the rules leads inevitably to a search for a more secure situation.

Hockey sophist

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +50/-98
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2020, 12:38:19 PM »
While not disagreeing with your sentiment or prediction, I wonder what precisely is a "more certain" environment?   Whose predictions on the path of the virus does one listen to? 

"Certainty" may be fools gold.   Yea, maybe some other state opens up sooner and more completely than CA or LA County but what happens to that AAA or AA season when that same state is hit badly by this virus and has to reverse public policy direction?   Is your kid's health worth the risk?   For what?  The odds are long that they will play in the NHL or D1?  Counter that with the fact that hockey is a breeding ground for viruses and disease.  My daughter wrote me recently about a Mumps outbreak among the MN Wild.   

What seems certain to me is that youth hockey, like most youth sports nowadays, is about money.    USAH, CAHA, SCAHA, clubs, rinks, and coaches all want and need to re-establish their cash flows or income.   Will they put player and parent safety before their economic self-interest?   I am rather pleasantly surprised that the Ducks announced that their tier tryouts have been postponed until mid-August.   That is about as late as possible without putting the whole season at risk.   

If a parent is confident about their kid's play at certain level, waiting seems prudent.  If our son's lack of ability or the virus costs him a season, so be it.  Hopefully, there is life after hockey.   

Landshark

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +77/-47
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2020, 01:50:53 PM »
If you think that a proactive plan communicated clearly to the community who devote so much time and effort to the experience (not the future nhl aspect) is fools gold, then don’t ask for anything more than you’re currently getting. I can predict that it will be appreciated by the people in charge.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 01:51:59 PM by Landshark »

Hockey sophist

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +50/-98
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2020, 03:14:40 PM »
If I were designing a proactive plan, it would have to include thresholds defining what level of new cases and deaths in the general population of California and with the ice hockey community for a variety of actions including (1) the tryouts would be postponed again (2) when the season might be called upon to postpone or halt play and (3) when to reestablish play if a halt threshold was reached.   

A proactive plan would also include testing on a widespread basis, perhaps several times a week for every player depending on cost and accuracy of the tests, and for contact tracing for hockey players or family members who came down with the disease by organizing and training volunteers at the club level as a condition of play for a team or the club.   A real plan would be complex and implementing it even more so. 

A real plan would definitely consist of more than "lets get on the ice as if nothing really happened". 

As for asking for more than we are currently getting, that assumes that "full steam ahead" is getting something positive.   I appreciate that the Ducks Organization and presumably the governing bodies are moving with caution.   Their economic interest would be full steam ahead so they are showing restraint and good judgment.  How often do we witness organizations acting counter to their financial interest and for a perceived public good?   

It is fundamentally wrong to assume that Action A is wrong because you want Action B.
What you, I or any parent or family has invested in ice hockey is a sunk cost.   It is nonsensical to make this type of decision based only on sunk cost.   Presumably we make the financial commitment based on an expected return at each discrete season.   To continue to do something stupid because of past investments or sunk cost is why a lot of companies, for example, fail.   

I hope you and your hockey player/s enjoy your out-of-state experience.   It may be memorable.

Landshark

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +77/-47
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2020, 04:05:41 PM »
Thats a great justification. If it’s a sunk season, I hope you enjoy it for I am sure it will be memorable.

Hockey sophist

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +50/-98
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2020, 05:40:45 PM »
Thanks Landshark.  It was an enjoyable exploration.

CahaMama

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-5
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2020, 10:23:34 AM »
Thoughts?

CAHA Permitted Tryout Dates Notice
May 16, 2020  7:55 PM
May 16, 2020

To: All CAHA Member Associations

Re: CAHA Permitted Tryout Dates Update

All,

This letter shall serve as notice that pursuant to the CAHA Board of Directors Special Meeting held on May 16, 2020, the Directors voted in the following 2020-2021 CAHA tryout calendar updates;

TIER 1
Provided that Shelter in Place restrictions applicable to ice rinks/youth hockey are lifted statewide, Tier 1 Tryouts shall be permitted Not Earlier Than 8/14/20.

TIER 2
Provided that Shelter in Place restrictions applicable to ice rinks/youth hockey are lifted statewide, Tier 2 Tryouts shall be permitted Not Earlier Than 8/21/20.
A/BB/B/HS

Provided that Shelter in Place restrictions applicable to ice rinks/youth hockey are lifted statewide, A/BB/B/HS Tryouts shall be permitted Not Earlier Than 8/28/20.

*On June 20th after USA Hockey’s National Congress CAHA will make a decision to permit team formation of Tier 1 National Bound teams prior to a physical tryout, and such decision will be issued immediately.

NOTE
CAHA would like to remind all players/parents that USA Hockey insurance coverages do not extend to injuries/claims arising from participation in non-USA Hockey sanctioned events (private lessons, clinics, etc).

Sincerely,
Thomas Hancock
President

cuttletuck

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-0
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2020, 07:25:41 AM »
Arizona is increasing from 2 to 3 AAA teams starting this season. I'm guessing with their tryouts scheduled for July, many kids are going to get anxious for a team and head out to Phoenix for a look.

Hockey sophist

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +50/-98
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2020, 03:19:17 PM »
Arizona is increasing from 2 to 3 AAA teams starting this season. I'm guessing with their tryouts scheduled for July, many kids are going to get anxious for a team and head out to Phoenix for a look.
Sounds like a good plan:
The number of new COVID-19 cases in Arizona continues to rise, with daily increases setting four records in the past week, according to the Arizona Department of Health Services data. More than one-quarter of the total number of COVID-19 cases in Arizona were recorded in the past week.
The Arizona Department of Health Services (ADHS) and Maricopa County Department of Public Health (MCDPH) confirmed  Thursday, June 11, there have been 31,264 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Arizona. That total represents an increase of 1,412 new cases since yesterday. Maricopa County — with 16,018 cases — has the greatest number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Arizona.
Arizona is among 14 states seeing a surge in COVID-19 cases. Arizona has hit its highest seven-day average of new COVID-19 cases since the beginning of the pandemic. Nation-wide protests, relaxed stay-at-home limitations and reopenings could play a role in increasing numbers, according to The Washington Post.
As of Thursday, June 11, there have been 1,127 COVID-19 deaths in Arizona, an increase of 32 from the previous day.

Defensive Zone

• Mite
  • LR Justice +7/-18
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2020, 01:36:05 PM »
Hockey Soph, stay home if you’re fearful. This used to be America and that used to be your free choice. You have a better chance of dying in a car accident on the way to the rink. Meanwhile the rest of the kids are back on the ice playing hockey already. So let’s get back to hockey, and not politics, on this forum.

Hockey sophist

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +50/-98
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2020, 03:01:01 PM »
Hockey Soph, stay home if you’re fearful. This used to be America and that used to be your free choice. You have a better chance of dying in a car accident on the way to the rink. Meanwhile the rest of the kids are back on the ice playing hockey already. So let’s get back to hockey, and not politics, on this forum.
A 5 second web search revealed this data for 2016.  Maybe not accurate but probably not off by a factor of 3.   What is political about considering basic data?  How is awareness of data showing fear?   How is free choice threatened by considering the pros and cons of a particular course of action.   Your post shows more "politics" than that post. 

Car accident deaths:
For 2016 specifically, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) data shows 37,461 people were killed in 34,436 motor vehicle crashes, an average of 102 per day.

HM

• Mite
  • LR Justice +2/-2
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2020, 03:13:54 PM »

In CAHA's announcement about tryouts, they did allow the possibility for Tier 1 teams to choose their teams ahead of tryouts. Maybe this factored into their decision.

Landshark

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +77/-47
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2020, 09:30:30 PM »
Ten second web search. Data is data.

Percentage of Covid-19 fatalities in the U.S. by age andweekly, March 14-May 23, 2020Source: CDC

As treatments have improved over the course of the pandemic, fewer young people are dying. In late March, Americans over age 75 made up about half of all weekly deaths (see chart nearby) while those under 45 made up between four and five percent. Now those over 75 make up about two-thirds of deaths while those younger than 45 make up less than 2%.

If your kid is under 45, you're good.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 09:36:17 PM by Landshark »