This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Pee Wee A 2016-17  (Read 337502 times)

ABCDE

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +25/-8
Re: Pee Wee A 2016-17
« Reply #150 on: September 21, 2016, 11:31:19 PM »
Agree, NA is good hockey to watch!!  Wish USA could've done something... anything.  Skates, interesting you have so much commentary on PW A when you say your kid is a squirt.  And so much hatred and bad info for OC3.  Did Bix not let your kid play up on his team?  Usually only EK draws this much dislike this early in the year.  I didn't catch the last match between Runtso Ducks and OC3, but JD parents all said the score didn't tell the tale and it was anyone's game until the 3rd period.  Maybe OC3 needs to learn to play a full 3 periods?  Sounds like they should be a JD team, since that's just like the big Ducks. Also I wouldn't count out the 06 Waves.  They are fast and play well and will be competitive.  IMO, they shouldn't be playing up because they draw penalties from hits with even the smallest 04s.  The refs need to sack up and call the games correctly.  If a team or players want to play up, they need to play by the same rules. If the calls were right, I couldn't care less if they little guys wanted to play up.  They're fun to watch.  Just don't call my kid for a penalty, because he's playing in his correct division and your littler kid didn't fare well in the mix.

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
« Reply #151 on: September 22, 2016, 12:24:58 AM »
Agree, NA is good hockey to watch!!  Wish USA could've done something... anything.  Skates, interesting you have so much commentary on PW A when you say your kid is a squirt.  And so much hatred and bad info for OC3.  Did Bix not let your kid play up on his team?  Usually only EK draws this much dislike this early in the year.  I didn't catch the last match between Runtso Ducks and OC3, but JD parents all said the score didn't tell the tale and it was anyone's game until the 3rd period.  Maybe OC3 needs to learn to play a full 3 periods?  Sounds like they should be a JD team, since that's just like the big Ducks. Also I wouldn't count out the 06 Waves.  They are fast and play well and will be competitive.  IMO, they shouldn't be playing up because they draw penalties from hits with even the smallest 04s.  The refs need to sack up and call the games correctly.  If a team or players want to play up, they need to play by the same rules. If the calls were right, I couldn't care less if they little guys wanted to play up.  They're fun to watch.  Just don't call my kid for a penalty, because he's playing in his correct division and your littler kid didn't fare well in the mix.

As I understand, the JD-Runtso - OC3 game was over in the 2nd. They belived the JD team started slow because Coach Runtso was not at the game due to a conflict with his squirt team. Also, I understand that one of the OC3 goals simply popped out of the golie's glove.  OC3 did what was expected, they came out hard trying to gain retribution for the tournamnet loss and simply could not keep that pace. This likely will be a common thread with JD-Runtso as they will get the best game from everyone they play.

• Midget
  • LR Justice +36/-53
  • So how about it boys? Look like hockey to you?
« Reply #152 on: September 22, 2016, 01:33:59 AM »
It was a a competive game almost the entire way through.  OCHC was leading at the halfway point, and made a goalie change which seemed to affect the momentum of the game.  Ducks evened it up immediately upon the change.  At the end of the second, it was a 4-2 game.  The last three goals came in the last 5 minutes of the game, including a stat padder.   OC let in some soft goals and had a couple of defensive lapses (e.g., letting a Duck cherry pick at the blue line and paying for it).  The game was pretty even in terms of penalties (1 for OC and 2 for the Ducks) and SOGs (22 for the Ducks and 18 for OC).  A very different game than at the finals two weeks ago, and closer than the final score would indicate. 

skates

« Reply #153 on: September 22, 2016, 06:22:25 AM »

Why can't anyone just state their opinion without someone thinking someone dislikes someone on this site. My son doesn't even play for OC and I don't even know many of their coaches. Remember I am a numbers guy and are just basically going off the final scores and numbers. I didn't even see the game.  And why does everyone try to blame games on goalies and defense.  You know forwards can learn to back check. They do have to get through 5 players to even get to the goalie. Sounds like OC 3 just couldn't hang on with the ducks speed. Anything could change it is a long season.  I hope Squirt A is competitive with the eight teams.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 07:20:11 AM by skates »

Handboni

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +9/-15
« Reply #154 on: September 22, 2016, 06:34:29 AM »
Better teams tend to break down opponents over the course of a game.  Scores are often closer early in the game, with the better team pulling away in the third.

Hockey05

• Midget
  • LR Justice +59/-33
« Reply #155 on: September 22, 2016, 09:01:26 AM »
With 24 teams in PWA is there any chance SCAHA will amend the playoffs?.  One idea would be for a 4 team play in, which would allow 10 teams to participate in the playoffs. 

• Midget
  • LR Justice +36/-53
« Reply #156 on: September 22, 2016, 09:04:40 AM »
To be clear, I wasn't trying to lay blame on the d or the goalie.  Team loss.  The turning point of the game was a momentum shift when the goalies were changed, without regard to the goalies play.   It seemed to function like a great time out.  Having watched the game, I personally wouldn't attribute the outcome to a difference in speed.  Much more like Handboni suggests - a better team pulled away in the third, and here it was late in the third.  That's whaat good teams do.  Runtso Ducks are good team, well coached and good parents.  They will have a very good season.  I wish them luck and look forward to playing them again.

• Midget
  • LR Justice +36/-53
« Reply #157 on: September 22, 2016, 09:06:47 AM »
We don't have a final number of teams in Pee Wee A yet.  The clubs have until Sunday to turn their declarations in.  After that, the question becomes whether SCAHA steps in and tries to move team down against their will. 

Ziegler

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +28/-13
« Reply #158 on: September 22, 2016, 09:15:21 AM »
A Runtso parent echoed the same sentiment the other night at the rink. Seemed to think there might have been some new additions to the OC team. He said OC came out fast and outskated the ducks for the first period and half. Seems to think OC will be a good team as the season goes on. He also said the the biggest difference in both games played so far was the composure from OC this past weekend compared to Labor day. Sounds like they took a few penalties that cost them in the Final. Didn' take those this past weekend, which is why it was a closer game.

Transplant

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-4
« Reply #159 on: September 22, 2016, 09:23:03 AM »
A Runtso parent echoed the same sentiment the other night at the rink. Seemed to think there might have been some new additions to the OC team. He said OC came out fast and outskated the ducks for the first period and half. Seems to think OC will be a good team as the season goes on. He also said the the biggest difference in both games played so far was the composure from OC this past weekend compared to Labor day. Sounds like they took a few penalties that cost them in the Final. Didn' take those this past weekend, which is why it was a closer game.

I can tell you with assurance, no additions to OC3, just one subtraction due to injury.  OC did the smart thing and attempted to equalize the teams.  I guess they could have gone with two A and one BB and strengthened both A teams.  Butting heads against similar teams in practice and scrimmages will only raise the level of play over the course of the season.

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #160 on: September 22, 2016, 01:30:53 PM »
I'M DONE......THIS SHIT US STUPID !!

MAKE YOUR POINT WITHOUT WRITING A NOVEL  !!!

......the problem is that 05/04s are playing in the PW division.

Are you shitting me ?

My apologies.  I did indeed miss the ridiculous 04/05 Post and somehow glossed over it. 

Honestly one of the dumber comments made here recently and that's saying something.   :o   

DroptheGloves

• Mite
  • LR Justice +15/-27
« Reply #161 on: September 22, 2016, 03:47:58 PM »
It doesn't matter...half of this years pee wees will not be playing hockey in 2 years ...they will be gone once they start getting crushed from behind by the 100's of kids that never learned how to check until they were 14!! Back to Soccer and Baseball they go.  Save your energy pee wee parents...it is quite possible this could be your kids last year of ice hockey  but there is always roller for those that shy from contact :)

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #162 on: September 22, 2016, 05:55:42 PM »
Yeah I went back and read what you said prior to my reply, and your qualification doesn't make it any more sophisticated than when you first stated it.  I already stated previously that even one squirt team in Peewee A is one too many.  I already stated that there are '06's sprinkled throughout numerous teams in Peewee A that inflates rosters and sometimes robs older kids of spots they might otherwise have.  Maybe you aren't aware of this, but as of two seasons ago, by Scaha's rules, clubs were not supposed to be allowed to field a team where the number of kids playing up was even 50%. 

This has lead to a glut of players at Peewee A. It is not the only reason, as I was clear to mention, but it is still a significant one. 

I've seen statements made here in the past, as well as straight from the mouths of parents that :  "All the good kids of the 'xx birth year are playing up." 

Completely untrue, and disproven in tournaments, and team migrations, and scrimmages, but there are still way too many people that buy into the idea and the net result is not good for anyone.  The raw numbers of kids playing up is only part of the problem.  The other part is the psychology of it. 

Let's say that your kid is a legit Peewee on a bubble team.  Is it really that hard to understand that this makes other legit peewee teams resistant to the idea that they should consider the median level of the team, when they have to deal with so many people who have convinced themselves that their kid is too good to play against their own age group.

Just because a kid is playing up a division at 8, doesn't mean that they are on a track to eclipse another kid who is 9.  A year later the 10 year old is leading their squirt team in scoring and the 9 year old struggles against older faster and more intellectually ready teammates, regresses and finishes the season with 4 points.    This same parent then feels that their kid should play up to peewee because they played on the same team with the legit Peewees simply because they have been on the same team for 2 years.  At Peewee I've seen the physical differences become even more pronounced.  Kids are really starting to sprout up at 12 years old, and they're just physically way more mature than a 10 year old in just about all cases.  The gap that might not be as noticeable at Squirt really starts to be noticeable in many cases at Peewee. 

The league should be helping people police their own vanity and worst instincts, but they haven't in recent years, and whether or not you believe your kid is part of a "competitive squirt A team playing up to Peewee A", you are contributing to the very problem you just complained about, only you don't seem to realize it.   How many games your team wins this year means absolutely nothing when the actual sport of Hockey really begins to be played at age 13. 

Puck Yeah

• Midget
  • LR Justice +110/-51
« Reply #163 on: September 22, 2016, 09:20:50 PM »
Good points Ica.

I suggest that all the parents that have convinced themselves that their squirt has to play up to keep them on this trajectory to the Bigs, take time and print out all your posts and keep them in a folder.  Then when your son is a 2nd year Bantam or a Midget, take them out and read them to yourself and have a good laugh.

Hockey05

• Midget
  • LR Justice +59/-33
« Reply #164 on: September 22, 2016, 10:33:24 PM »
Yeah I went back and read what you said prior to my reply, and your qualification doesn't make it any more sophisticated than when you first stated it.  I already stated previously that even one squirt team in Peewee A is one too many.  I already stated that there are '06's sprinkled throughout numerous teams in Peewee A that inflates rosters and sometimes robs older kids of spots they might otherwise have.  Maybe you aren't aware of this, but as of two seasons ago, by Scaha's rules, clubs were not supposed to be allowed to field a team where the number of kids playing up was even 50%. 

This has lead to a glut of players at Peewee A. It is not the only reason, as I was clear to mention, but it is still a significant one. 

I've seen statements made here in the past, as well as straight from the mouths of parents that :  "All the good kids of the 'xx birth year are playing up." 

Completely untrue, and disproven in tournaments, and team migrations, and scrimmages, but there are still way too many people that buy into the idea and the net result is not good for anyone.  The raw numbers of kids playing up is only part of the problem.  The other part is the psychology of it. 

Let's say that your kid is a legit Peewee on a bubble team.  Is it really that hard to understand that this makes other legit peewee teams resistant to the idea that they should consider the median level of the team, when they have to deal with so many people who have convinced themselves that their kid is too good to play against their own age group.

Just because a kid is playing up a division at 8, doesn't mean that they are on a track to eclipse another kid who is 9.  A year later the 10 year old is leading their squirt team in scoring and the 9 year old struggles against older faster and more intellectually ready teammates, regresses and finishes the season with 4 points.    This same parent then feels that their kid should play up to peewee because they played on the same team with the legit Peewees simply because they have been on the same team for 2 years.  At Peewee I've seen the physical differences become even more pronounced.  Kids are really starting to sprout up at 12 years old, and they're just physically way more mature than a 10 year old in just about all cases.  The gap that might not be as noticeable at Squirt really starts to be noticeable in many cases at Peewee. 

The league should be helping people police their own vanity and worst instincts, but they haven't in recent years, and whether or not you believe your kid is part of a "competitive squirt A team playing up to Peewee A", you are contributing to the very problem you just complained about, only you don't seem to realize it.   How many games your team wins this year means absolutely nothing when the actual sport of Hockey really begins to be played at age 13.

Yes, but many parents have no choice.  Many parents really don't know any better and they listen to their coach/club.  It is dictated by the club they are with that they need to play up to then track themselves for tier in subsequent years.