This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Pee Wee A 2016-17  (Read 337359 times)

Crash

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +24/-169
Re: Pee Wee A 2016-17
« Reply #285 on: October 11, 2016, 06:41:56 AM »
For a goalie it's all about the rubber - lots of it.

Network with coaches who hold shooting clinics - they ALWAYS need goalies. I won't name names, but there are tier down goalies at our rink who play in controlled scrimmages with the year or two older boys and see 60 shots a game. Yes they get scored on, but they see moves and shots they are never going to see in their age group.

I was a goalie, and while it was nice to play on a winning team, all I had to deal with was the occasional breakaway. Better to be on a bad team and face those 2nd, 3rd and 4th rebounds.

White Skates

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-0
« Reply #286 on: October 11, 2016, 09:02:17 AM »
Is it me or did I just see the Ducks(2) score vs Jr Kings (1) 4-5? Did anyone see this game?

Yes, saw it as my friend's kid was playing and I was there early for our game.  It got pretty exciting, actually!  Kings were down 3-0 in the first; came back ahead at 5-3; Ducks scored I think on a PP (might be wrong on that) to make it 5-4; Ducks pulled their goalie about the last three minutes.  Kings prevailed.  Plus, heard Kings were down 3 forwards--same last week with Bears the parent told me, but had a lot of penalties that game, and moving goalies in and out for whatever reason. 

« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 09:12:13 AM by White Skates »

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
« Reply #287 on: October 11, 2016, 10:31:25 AM »
Is it me or did I just see the Ducks(2) score vs Jr Kings (1) 4-5? Did anyone see this game?

Yes, saw it as my friend's kid was playing and I was there early for our game.  It got pretty exciting, actually!  Kings were down 3-0 in the first; came back ahead at 5-3; Ducks scored I think on a PP (might be wrong on that) to make it 5-4; Ducks pulled their goalie about the last three minutes.  Kings prevailed.  Plus, heard Kings were down 3 forwards--same last week with Bears the parent told me, but had a lot of penalties that game, and moving goalies in and out for whatever reason. 

Wow! No one is safe it seems... Should be a great season in PeeWee A!

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
« Reply #288 on: October 11, 2016, 11:45:53 AM »

11 and 12 year old kids acting their age.  Sounds like they went up by 3 early and got over confident.  Kids are kids and don't always show up...

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
« Reply #289 on: October 11, 2016, 11:50:22 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not concerned about getting a release and the particulars of moving up to PWAA-- that's not the point. I'm thinking about my kids development, that's it for the purpose of this discussion. am i overthinking it or do i have a valid concern. without getting too specific let's say he plays a very specific position, one that doesn't favor us being on a top team. last year we were on a top 2 team where he pretty much didn't get much game action at all. Now we find ourselves on another top team where he's not going to see a lot of quality action. team coaches don't matter so much for him. He's got private coaches. i'm only concerned with game action, speed of game, his overall development. We've been told by multiple coaches that he would be absolutely fine at the PWAA level so I'm just trying to get some feedback from the forum here before we 'possibly' approach our club about options that may or may not be available to us.

I'm not a goalie parent (thank god) so, I can not help you there...

Playing time at this age is more important than being on a good teem and riding the pine.  The kids are in it to have fun and want to play.  The parents get concerned about the letter(s) behind the level.  I would rather my player to be a on a competitive team and get playing time than an top team and not get playing time.  They do no develop watching other kids...

White Skates

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-0
« Reply #290 on: October 11, 2016, 12:08:58 PM »

11 and 12 year old kids acting their age.  Sounds like they went up by 3 early and got over confident.  Kids are kids and don't always show up...

Ducks showed up!  I'm not a JK parent, but I give them credit where it's due.  They played hard whole game, with three forwards out.  I heard that Matt "Moose" Johnson is back coaching their D full time now.  Maybe he got them on the right path!!

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #291 on: October 11, 2016, 12:10:45 PM »
Adjusted Standings.  Not a power ranking. 

3.     OC 1 (6-1-1).  Beat  Sts. 9-2.  Next up:  Maple Leafs
3.     OC 2 (6-1-1).   Beat JK2  8-0.  Next up: Mariners

9.     Heat  (4-2-2 .) Beat Ducks 1, 3-0.  Next up: WC2
10.   Maple Leafs (4-4.)  Beat Wave 2, 10-1.  Next up: OC1

Wildcats 1 and 2 and Mariners are dropping out of PWA.  J Gulls and Wildcats are dropping into PW A.

I am really looking forward to seeing the outcome of OC1 vs Leafs. I think they are better than their record from watching them play.

You pretty much called it.  Leafs are a team that is going to continue to get stronger as the season progresses. 

• Midget
  • LR Justice +36/-53
  • So how about it boys? Look like hockey to you?
« Reply #292 on: October 11, 2016, 12:19:23 PM »
How did OC vs Leafs turn out?

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
« Reply #293 on: October 11, 2016, 12:53:10 PM »

Ducks showed up!  I'm not a JK parent, but I give them credit where it's due.  They played hard whole game, with three forwards out.  I heard that Matt "Moose" Johnson is back coaching their D full time now.  Maybe he got them on the right path!!

I'm not trying to take away what JK1 did, they beat an undefeated team.  The JK1 kids deserve credit for doing what no team to date has done. The JK kids who showed up, played the entire game and won.  It is ether a match up problem or the Ducks had an off game.  Since the Ducks went up 3-0 in the first and only scored 1 more eludes to them not playing the entire game. It looks like they play again in January...

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
« Reply #294 on: October 11, 2016, 01:00:17 PM »

Wildcats 1 and 2 and Mariners are dropping out of PWA.  J Gulls and Wildcats are dropping into PW A.

I am really looking forward to seeing the outcome of OC1 vs Leafs. I think they are better than their record from watching them play.

You pretty much called it.  Leafs are a team that is going to continue to get stronger as the season progresses.

The Leafs are a big team and look like they have a lot of 04's.  They will get better as will all the teams who have a large number of 04 teams. The testosterone really kicks in at the end of the season for the 04's.   

Just Saying

« Reply #295 on: October 11, 2016, 01:06:59 PM »

Assuming they beat OCHC (1). Pretty darn impressive if they did. Turned it around fast. Will definitely fight it out.

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #296 on: October 11, 2016, 01:14:31 PM »
Don't quote me, but I heard leafs won 7-2.

justanotherhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +59/-56
« Reply #297 on: October 11, 2016, 01:17:24 PM »
I wouldn't sleep on the Heat... They will make the playoff and surprise one of the top dogs and OCHC3 will improve and compete as well.

White Skates

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-0
« Reply #298 on: October 11, 2016, 02:23:49 PM »
I wouldn't sleep on the Heat... They will make the playoff and surprise one of the top dogs and OCHC3 will improve and compete as well.

But did you consider who they have played in the pre-season?  At least three of the teams are now B/BB, no?  That's the problem with these pre-season predictions, the level of play demanded of various teams has been all over the board, with lots of players missing or out for various reasons. 

Time will, of course, tell!!

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
« Reply #299 on: October 11, 2016, 02:50:46 PM »

But did you consider who they have played in the pre-season?  At least three of the teams are now B/BB, no?  That's the problem with these pre-season predictions, the level of play demanded of various teams has been all over the board, with lots of players missing or out for various reasons. 

Time will, of course, tell!!

After looking at the Heat games, the one that jumps out is the tie against the Jr Kings (2). That Kings 2 team has lost to Wave1 6-0, OCHC(1) 10-1, OCHC(2) 8-0 and Eagles 5-1.... Wildcats(2) 8-5 win seems kinda off a bit?

But hey, i mentioned a while ago that the Leafs and Heat shouldn't be overlooked. I think PML will make the bigger jump though. To borrow Skates phrase.... "Time will tell!"