This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Pee Wee A 2016-17  (Read 337078 times)

Hockey sophist

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +50/-98
Re: Pee Wee A 2016-17
« Reply #300 on: October 11, 2016, 02:58:14 PM »
Don't quote me, but I heard leafs won 7-2.

Saw the Leafs v. OC1 game.   The Leafs are a good team.   Their defense is outstanding.   The team is big, has decent speed, passes well, and seems well coached.     OC1 is better than they played.  Their easy schedule has given them a false sense of superiority.   Hard to call which of the three OC teams has the most promise.   Each has strengths and weaknesses.   It depends on which team develops the most over the next few weeks as with most of the other good PWA teams.  Probably 8 or more teams can beat any other team on a given weekend.   Last weekend,  Leafs came to play; OC1 not so much.   

justanotherhockeydad

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +59/-56
« Reply #301 on: October 11, 2016, 03:36:51 PM »
I wouldn't sleep on the Heat... They will make the playoff and surprise one of the top dogs and OCHC3 will improve and compete as well.

But did you consider who they have played in the pre-season?  At least three of the teams are now B/BB, no?  That's the problem with these pre-season predictions, the level of play demanded of various teams has been all over the board, with lots of players missing or out for various reasons. 

Time will, of course, tell!!

Perhaps I should pay more attention to the score sheets (didn't they just beat Ducks1, a supposedly pretty strong team?)... No dog in the PWA fight, just going by what I know of a few of the Heat players and coach, it's my opinion that they can play and will be in the mix.

I do watch OCHC3 practice often and I believe they are good enough to challenge for a playoff spot as well.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 03:38:58 PM by justanotherhockeydad »

Hockey05

• Midget
  • LR Justice +59/-33
« Reply #302 on: October 11, 2016, 04:08:17 PM »
I saw a good chunk of the Heat's game against the Ducks 1.  They had strong scoring chances.  It was an exciting game.   

I sort of feel that it is wide open at A based on the disparity of games played in preseason and the teams dropping.  Many think 2-4 teams will dominate but I'm not so sure. 

No one has mentioned the Bears which played some weaker teams.  They have very strong goal tending and seem like a deep team.

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
« Reply #303 on: October 11, 2016, 04:32:58 PM »
I saw a good chunk of the Heat's game against the Ducks 1.  They had strong scoring chances.  It was an exciting game.   

I sort of feel that it is wide open at A based on the disparity of games played in preseason and the teams dropping.  Many think 2-4 teams will dominate but I'm not so sure. 

No one has mentioned the Bears which played some weaker teams.  They have very strong goal tending and seem like a deep team.

I think for the most part, all of the "top 8" played it's share of weaker games. HOWEVER <Steven A Smith voice> The Bears did play the Kings (1) and OCHC (2) and a Jr Condors team that beat the Jr Ducks (1) and lost to PML by 1; so not a pushover at all.

But as the Kings showed this past weekend ... Any given sunday!

Just Saying

« Reply #304 on: October 11, 2016, 05:24:32 PM »
Just a side question... why does it take so long for certain scores to be posted on SCAHA? It's Tuesday and some scores are still not listed.

White Skates

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-0
« Reply #305 on: October 11, 2016, 05:27:04 PM »
I wouldn't sleep on the Heat... They will make the playoff and surprise one of the top dogs and OCHC3 will improve and compete as well.

But did you consider who they have played in the pre-season?  At least three of the teams are now B/BB, no?  That's the problem with these pre-season predictions, the level of play demanded of various teams has been all over the board, with lots of players missing or out for various reasons. 

Time will, of course, tell!!

After looking at the Heat games, the one that jumps out is the tie against the Jr Kings (2). That Kings 2 team has lost to Wave1 6-0, OCHC(1) 10-1, OCHC(2) 8-0 and Eagles 5-1.... Wildcats(2) 8-5 win seems kinda off a bit?

But hey, i mentioned a while ago that the Leafs and Heat shouldn't be overlooked. I think PML will make the bigger jump though. To borrow Skates phrase.... "Time will tell!"

Yes, Time will tell!!  The Kings 2 is all 06, not sure if that makes a difference to anyone pondering all of this. 
And, isn't the Heat coach the same one from last year -- had AA and A and both did pretty poorly and a lot of players, from what I heard, left the club due to coaching style and poor organization during games.  Maybe they learned something we don't know ... yet!!
PML will be interesting, but so will everyone else judging by the way this is going!

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
« Reply #306 on: October 11, 2016, 05:48:45 PM »
Just a side question... why does it take so long for certain scores to be posted on SCAHA? It's Tuesday and some scores are still not listed.
This was a question posted on Tier board as well. Managers post scores, so no idea why some get it up so late.

Copernicus

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-2
« Reply #307 on: October 12, 2016, 11:24:03 PM »
Any opinions on how the Mariners and Wildcats will fare dropping from A?

nirradus

• Mite
  • LR Justice +9/-7
« Reply #308 on: October 14, 2016, 10:55:51 AM »
     Hey all, just a quick follow up about the potential move up to PWAA for my son. We spoke to some folks at our club and everyone agreed we should enjoy the season in PWA – so that’s exactly what we’re going to do. I realize we are fortunate to be in a very good situation and I can’t thank everyone at the club enough for their advice and feedback.

Handboni

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +9/-15
« Reply #309 on: October 14, 2016, 11:05:25 AM »
     Hey all, just a quick follow up about the potential move up to PWAA for my son. We spoke to some folks at our club and everyone agreed we should enjoy the season in PWA – so that’s exactly what we’re going to do. I realize we are fortunate to be in a very good situation and I can’t thank everyone at the club enough for their advice and feedback.

Reasonable, smart decision, you won't regret it.

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
« Reply #310 on: October 14, 2016, 05:40:43 PM »

Reasonable, smart decision, you won't regret it.

We have experienced losing week end and week out, being on a top team with bulls-eye on your chest and and a competitive playoff teams.  Knowing you have almost no chance to win is very hard to do for an entire season.  I will never do that again! The only thing I hope for every year is to be on a competitive team.  If you place you player correctly on a team consisting of the median talent level of your player, chances are you will have a good year.  I do not understand why the reluctance to drop is so prevalent.  You absolutely made the right choice.

• Midget
  • LR Justice +36/-53
  • So how about it boys? Look like hockey to you?
« Reply #311 on: October 15, 2016, 06:34:12 AM »
Rankings – Week 1Parity Rules. Any Given Sunday.  There is baker's dozen of teams that seem to have a shot at the playoffs, without looking at their schedules.  Hope the bottom teams prove me wrong.  Good luck to all!

1A.  Bears (8-0-2.)  Relatively untested in pre-season, but undefeated status earns top spot going into season.

This week:  OC3

Wins:  Heat, PML, Condors (2x), SR Flyers, JK1, WC1, WC2
Losses: None.
Ties:  OC2, SR Flyers

1B.  Ducks 2 (9-1.)    Great pre-season against tough schedule, but not an unstoppable beast. Loss to JK1 underscored there is no ‘Tide this year. 
This week:  JK2.

Wins: OC2, OC3 (2x), PML, Eagles,  Blaze, Sts., W2, Nevada Storm
Losses:  JK1

3.   Ducks 1 (6-3.)   Team looks capable of beating any team or losing to any top 12 team.   Same could be said for many teams.
This week:  Wave 2

W: W1, OC3, W3, JK1, Blaze (2x), JK2
L:  W3, Heat, Condors

4.     OC 2 (7-1-1).  Placed this high on basis of tie with Bears  and 1 goal loss against D2, not on wins against second division and BB teams.  Weaker pre-season schedule could lead to some early season upsets.
This week: Bye

W: JK1, Condors, Sts, W2, Nevada Storm, JK2, M’s,
L:  D2
T:  Bears

5.  OC 3 (6-4.)   Apart from match up issue with D2, this team has played a strong preseason against strong competition.  Two other close losses against top teams.  May have this team too high or too low.
This week:  Bears

W:  OC1, Eagles (2x), W3, Lady Ducks, M’s
L: D2 (2x), D1, W1

6. Wave 1 (6-2-2).  Really like this team.  Conventional wisdom is better catch them early in the season, but  I wonder  how they will match up against 04s when the older kids hit their stride. 
This week: Heat

W: OC3, Sts., W2, JK2, M’s (2x),
L: D1, Eagles
T:  OC1, Eaglea

7.  OC1 (6-2-1).  Record bloated by weak pre-season line up.  Has not looked good in recent games and scrimmages.  Not sure whether it is because a weak pre season schedule had not honed their intensity or some deeper chemistry issue.  Might be both.
This week: Bye

W: Eagles, JK1, Sts., JK2, W2, M’s,
L:  OC3, PML
T:  W1.

8.  Heat (5-2-2 .)   Early preseason tie against JK2 troubling, but later wins against D1 and Wave 3 suggest team could rise higher

This week: Wave 1

W: D1, W3, Condors,  M’s, WC2
L: Bears, PML
T: SR Flyers, JK2

9.  Maple Leafs (5-4.)  Wins over OC1 and Heat may have warranted higher placment

This week: Saints

W: OC1, Heat, Condors, WC2, W2
L: Bears, Condors, SR Flyers

10. Wave 3 (7-3.)  Lost three pre-season games against competitive teams.  Does not bode well. 
This week:  Blaze

W: D1, JK1, Blaze (2x), JK2, WC2, Lady Ducks
L: D1, OC3, Heat

11.  Ontario Eagles (4-4-1).   Another team that may be placed too low.  Matches up with Wave 1 and has played some other top teams tight but just cant quite bet them...yet.

This week:  Lady Ducks

W: W1, JK2, W2, M’s
L: D2, OC1, OC3 (2x)
T: W1

12. Condors  (3-6.) Strong pre season schedule produced mixed results

This week:  Jr Gulls

W: D1, PML, WC1
L: Bears (2x), OC2, PML, Heat, SR Flyer, 

13. Kings 1 (3-5-1.)   Not so easy to dismiss after last week.These kids have proven they can take down any team.

This week: Wildcats

W:  D2, Blaze, Sts.
L:  Bears, D1, OC2, OC1,  W3
T:  JK2

14.  Blaze (3-6.)   No wins over strong teams in pre season.  They have their work cut out for them.

This week:  Wave 3

W: Sts, JK2, WC1
L : D2, D1 (2x), W3 (2x), JK2

15. Saints (3-6.) No wins against strong teams in pre season. 

This week: PML

W: W2 (2x), Nevada Storm , WC1
L: D2, OC2, W1, OC1, JK1, Blaze

16.  Wave 2 (1-7.)   Out of principle, one win team ranked higher than winless team. 
This week: JD1

W:  Nevada Storm
L:  D2, Oc2, OC1, W1,, Eagles, PML,Sts., Lady Ducks

17. Kings 2 (0-7-2.)   06 team played strong competition in  preseason.  Not as bad as winless record suggests, but likely too far behind  growth chart to be true playoff contender.  Hope I am wrong.  Probably better than Wave 2.

This week: JD2

L D1, W1, OC2, OC1, W3, Eagles JK1,
T JK1, heat

Not ranked: Wildcats 

This week:  JK1

Not ranked: Jr Gulls.
This week:  Condors
 ThT
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 12:33:43 PM by 6607 »

White Skates

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-0
« Reply #312 on: October 16, 2016, 06:11:49 PM »
What went down today, folks??

• Midget
  • LR Justice +36/-53
  • So how about it boys? Look like hockey to you?
« Reply #313 on: October 16, 2016, 07:32:10 PM »
Bears 3 OC3  1.  Exciting game

icedevil

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-0
« Reply #314 on: October 16, 2016, 09:24:33 PM »
Lady Ducks 6  Eagles 4