This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Tryout Dates  (Read 28112 times)

Handboni

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +9/-15
Re: Tryout Dates
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2017, 09:06:27 PM »
Some years the team is pre-picked, some years it is as 1hockeydad says.  Typically, coaches will have a plan A and a plan B (and sometimes a plan C), depending upon who shows and what direction the coach wants to go based on who shows.

doncherrysucks

• Mite
  • LR Justice +7/-15
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2017, 08:26:45 PM »
I don't know but they would all have their tryouts over the same weekend.

Yes, I  suspect as much.  Really hate that the teams do that here.

How else would you have them do it?

Stagger them, like it was in Mid Atlantic area  or Colorado, where my kid has played in the past.

Interesting...how does that work?  How do they decide which club gets have tryouts first?

thus, the inherent problem, no club will want sloppy seconds, or worse, thirds, or fourths...

The Wildcats or Wave have no problem with sloppy fourths....

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2017, 01:05:52 PM »
New CAHA rule has Tier 2 tryouts in May. SCAHA has agreed that they will do theirs in June. Question is will any clubs follow CAHA rule and do May?

Crash

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +24/-169
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 06:44:45 AM »

[size=78%]What I suggest might make it a bit more fair was for the clubs to pre-sign X # of players and then post the openings. Kind of like   [/size]
[/size]
2 D
1 C
1 goalie

Whatever.

Wasting time trying out for a team that has no spots? What is the point of that? The clubs make money, is the point.

Thoughts?

KickSave

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +23/-26
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 06:50:05 AM »
Great idea.
Another one: have some skates like they run for Selects. Families Indy are clubs they are interested in,  clubs give out offers. Tryouts after to fill spots.

Rats13

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +16/-2
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2017, 07:18:07 AM »
New CAHA rule has Tier 2 tryouts in May. SCAHA has agreed that they will do theirs in June. Question is will any clubs follow CAHA rule and do May?

That is interesting that SCAHA and CAHA dates are not in sync.  I would think of SCAHA doesn't change clubs would have to follow those dates

islandhockey

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +13/-4
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2017, 07:31:38 AM »
I think the dates are just "guidelines", but they cannot be earlier than the posted dates.  No matter...the big clubs will make it so that their first tryout conflicts with their biggest competitor so that you have to choose one over the other, then some will hold it against you that you didn't come to their tryout first. 

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2017, 08:29:06 AM »
I think the dates are just "guidelines", but they cannot be earlier than the posted dates.  No matter...the big clubs will make it so that their first tryout conflicts with their biggest competitor so that you have to choose one over the other, then some will hold it against you that you didn't come to their tryout first.

100% The dates are guidelines, however my question is will all the clubs in SoCal follow the SCAHA suggestion or get the jump and do it early. 

Cali Hockey Pop

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-2
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2017, 01:14:14 PM »
For the higher Tier clubs, it also seems they conspire to have their tryouts directly conflict on the first night, forcing you to choose one club over the other, while jeopardizing your chances since there is a belief (and likely fact)   that coaches will hold it against you if you didn't come to their first tryout.

[size=78%]All of the clubs have tryouts the first day CAHA allows tryouts so they can sign their team. That's not even close to a conspiracy.  In any event, it's irrelevant that the tryouts conflict because, particularly at the AAA level, the team is already picked prior to tryouts.  Anyone who believes otherwise is fooling themselves. They really aren't even tryouts, more like sign ups of already selected players.[/size]

As a coach once said, "you gotta save a spot or two in case a Bobby Orr and his twin brother, show up unexpected."

gr8wrk

• AHL
  • LR Justice +40/-71
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2017, 11:11:39 PM »
For 18UAAA you are all wasting your time. If you want your players to go beyond California i hope you are looking beyond the state

islandhockey

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +13/-4
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2017, 02:06:30 PM »
@gr8work.  I was wondering if you would expound on your thought.  How about 16AAA as well?  Kids missed 20+ days of school and how many of those will move to juniors and D1 colleges?  Someone said less than 1 in 10 and by the time they hit 20, the chances become less.  Some will play club hockey in college, but at what point does getting a good college education outweigh those pursuing AAA.  Many of the best will be gone off to juniors by then.  I guess the same could be said for all college sports...fun vs. a good job, except for those 1-percenters that will make money in hockey.  So...for us west-coasters, is AAA really the way to go at over $30K a year?

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2017, 02:59:49 PM »
This is a great topic for us young families... so does prep school become a better option? Yes, having your kids being away from their family seems hard to think about, but education and high level hockey can't be a bad alternative? Again, our family is a ways off, but this board has families that are living this experience.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 03:00:55 PM by MO-ICETIME »

1Mightyd

• Mite
  • LR Justice +3/-0
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2017, 12:58:46 PM »
I have had the pleasure of having been a parent that has had a child in Prep School and who also played 16AAA and 18AAA.  There are many reasons that go into letting your child leave home at an early age. My son went the Prep school route as a freshman and played varsity with his prep school as a 15 year old. He was playing against some 19 Y/Olds and did well in hockey and in school. That being said, he missed home terribly and at the end of his freshman year came home. He ended up playing 16AAA and 18AAA and has grown tremendously over that period of time. Not only has his hockey skills improved with the great coaching that we have here in SoCal nowadays, his schooling has been excellent and we as parents have enjoyed the extra two years we got to spend with him.

His exposure to scouts at the Prep level was great. They are around the schools and tournaments and if you son/daughter are good enough they will be seen and seen alot. But his opportunities at the AAA level have been just a good because they are playing top notch teams "Tier One Elite league" and scouts from Prep schools to all Junior leagues go to these showcases as well.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have him played up to 16AAA at home and let him attend Prep school if he wanted to. If he didn't go to prep school and stayed home to play 18AAA, it is NOT a bad choice. It depends again on the child and his or her mindset, but no one should think that just because you child does not go to prep school that they do not have a chance to play juniors, that is not true. My son is playing 18AAA and has had many offers to play Juniors next year and from top leagues, as well as contacted by D1 college coaches. At the end of the day if they have the skills and are playing in the right leagues that have exposure, they will be seen by the next level coaches.

Cost is always in the equation and it's true very few get to the next level, but paying for prep school and having your child be away from home at 15-16 or paying the money to AAA, I would rather have him home and still have the exposure to go to the next level if he is good enough. Both options are good and should be looked at carefully before any decisions are made.

At the end of the day we as parents feel good about how it played out and we have enjoyed the hockey ride with our 4 children immensely. Its teaches them so much of what is needed to be an adult and the friendships with the parents and coaches along the way has been awesome.

HockeyPop2297

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +12/-6
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2017, 03:24:34 PM »
Thanks to 1Mightyd for sharing first-person experience & insight! From those of aging faster than our players trying to figure out a path, it is GREATLY appreciated! As we go broke for our players, nice to know some succeeded!

4 The Kids

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +9/-4
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2017, 11:26:29 AM »
Agreed 1Mightyd - very insightful post, lots of great information.  No question it depends on the player and the circumstances.