This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: Predictions for AA?  (Read 323591 times)

BBNMCAS

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +8/-6
Re: Predictions for AA?
« Reply #645 on: October 12, 2017, 02:43:29 PM »
Umm, does the Wave have another goalie to suit up against OC1 this weekend?
Why is this question comming up, is he suspended?

That is a good question.  The game he got suspended in technically did not happen because it was a forfeit. I am sure he is still suspended but, it makes you wounder if he should be.

I'm sorry but the game did happen. The goalie did punch other players in the head with his blocker. The goalie was given a game misconduct so he should be and is suspended from his next game. Just because the coach of the opposing team used a suspended player doesn't mean other players are not responsible for their actions.

I sill think it should be a suspension but, the game technically did not happen.  There is no score sheet for the game.  How could he have hit a kid in the head with his blocker if the game did not happen?

But you see the game did happen. I was there. I watched it happen. The coach for the Jr Ducks used a suspended player which wasn't discovered until after the game was over. It's no different if a player gets a match penalty during a pre-season exhibition game. As long as the game falls under USA Hockey rules, the enforcement of penalties still occurs regardless of the status of the game. Exhibition game, pre-season game, regular season game, forfeited game, etc... it doesn't matter. Penalties can be handed out before, during and after the game. The game occurred, the goalie punched a player in the head so he is suspended.

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
« Reply #646 on: October 12, 2017, 02:50:16 PM »

That is a good question.  The game he got suspended in technically did not happen because it was a forfeit. I am sure he is still suspended but, it makes you wounder if he should be.

I'm sorry but the game did happen. The goalie did punch other players in the head with his blocker. The goalie was given a game misconduct so he should be and is suspended from his next game. Just because the coach of the opposing team used a suspended player doesn't mean other players are not responsible for their actions.

I sill think it should be a suspension but, the game technically did not happen.  There is no score sheet for the game.  How could he have hit a kid in the head with his blocker if the game did not happen?

But you see the game did happen. I was there. I watched it happen. The coach for the Jr Ducks used a suspended player which wasn't discovered until after the game was over. It's no different if a player gets a match penalty during a pre-season exhibition game. As long as the game falls under USA Hockey rules, the enforcement of penalties still occurs regardless of the status of the game. Exhibition game, pre-season game, regular season game, forfeited game, etc... it doesn't matter. Penalties can be handed out before, during and after the game. The game occurred, the goalie punched a player in the head so he is suspended.

Agreed

However, using that same logic, the goals and assist should also count.

BlindZebras

• AHL
  • LR Justice +121/-201
« Reply #647 on: October 12, 2017, 03:25:25 PM »
Interesting, penalties count but other stats do not. This is minutiae that must exist in a rule book somewhere, maybe the Twilight Zone. A head scratcher for sure.

BlindZebras

• AHL
  • LR Justice +121/-201
« Reply #648 on: October 12, 2017, 03:28:30 PM »
Maybe the forfeit only pertains to the score so the goals (and therefore assists) don't count. I wonder if all of the other PIM still count?

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #649 on: October 12, 2017, 03:43:19 PM »
Jmo but it falls on manager/coach.  They should know better.

Rule is pretty clear cut.

Santino

• Mite
  • LR Justice +11/-5
« Reply #650 on: October 12, 2017, 03:56:06 PM »

Agreed

Correction, Skating Dad: at least a third (maybe half) of the goals and assists should not count. BE CONSISTENT!

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
« Reply #651 on: October 12, 2017, 03:58:10 PM »

Agreed

Correction, Skating Dad: at least a third (maybe half) of the goals and assists should not count. BE CONSISTENT!

Well played  :)

dustydad

• Mite
  • LR Justice +1/-0
« Reply #652 on: October 13, 2017, 01:35:41 AM »

The 1/3 to 1/2 of calls not being actual penalties is an observation of watching youth hockey for many years.  They also miss that many calls.  The same statistics apply to every game with a standard deviation.

They are overly protective of the small kids and the refs actually give reasons for the penalties of "He hit to hard"  That is not in the rule book!  If it is a legal hit then it does not matter how hard it was. I have seen that called many times and it usually is a 10 and 2.  What is that teaching the kids?

No Wave 2 parent, I am not a Wave 1 parent.

Thanks for clarifying because I seriously thought for a sec that you're a Wave1 parent since you go out of the way to defend them (despite general consensus being that Wave1 plays like goons) and said you have never even watch them play?

Anyhow, regarding the "he hits too hard" or 2 & 10 calls, I know those too well unfortunately. My kid seems to excel at violent hits. If you know who he is, you'd know that he has never been labeled dirty. He never even targets little kids, but if you are his same size or bigger, it's fair game to him and recently he got a 2 & 10 vs a Kings1 Dmen who was probably 3-4 inches taller but when he was hit, he curled up and fell into the boards. Clean and legal hit but again, "too violent" which like you said, it's not in the rule book.

Refs have called a few 2 & 10's on him and their explanation is usually the same, the hits are "too big" or "too violent" that they had to call something. Not that they were dirty hits, just "too big" and I can tell you that my kid has been a different player ever since... For the past few weeks, he hasn't been himself on ice. He's apprehensive about when to hit and afraid to get calls and when you're not playing free out there, your game suffers. He did manage to make hits while not visiting the box during Valencia and he even had a convo with a ref in the parking lot after his last game and it went like this:

Ref: Hey are you 'last name,' number XX?
Kid: Yes.
Ref: Ya, I saw you out there... trying to kill people...
Kid: .......
Ref: But they were all clean.

I can tell you that my son felt somewhat validated and was appreciative of what the ref said. Hopefully he has learned his lesson and will play carefree again soon with more emphasis on safety...

So my point is that yes, you're not wrong to say that 1/3 to 1/2 calls are iffy/borderline and justice depends on the refs. You get a picky ref, a borderline call is a penalty but to a not-so-picky ref, he might let them play. But I'm with you on "If it is a legal hit then it does not matter how hard it was" but truth is the refs dictate what's legal or not. It's just when it comes to Wave1, it really seems to be a pattern and getting harder to justify their action...

Don't worry about that stuff.

My kid is a short player, definitely stands out as a smaller player on his team but also plays extremely physical and led his team in penalty minutes due to some bad calls by the refs last season. Were they huge physical hits? Absolutely. Dirty/dangerous? Definitely not. Many times the refs gave him 2+10 and on his way to the box the refs made comments along the lines of "that was a good hit but just too hard, you need to tone it down" even against bigger kids. Fortunately his coach didn't punish him for any of it and he continued the same style of play throughout the season.

Fast forward to this season, he's still a small kid and still dishing out the same big hits yet he has zero penalties to date in almost 10 games so far.

Freezing

• Mite
  • LR Justice +0/-2
« Reply #653 on: October 13, 2017, 12:20:01 PM »
Well the OC v Wave game this weekend should be another good spectacle. Between Waves "dirty" thug  play and OCs inability to stay out of the penalty box it could get ugly. It appears that Waves coach is condoning this play and OC is full of less disciplined players. OC has a few big kids but those don't seem to be their liability players that are hurting their team. I put wave by 1 this weekend

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
« Reply #654 on: October 13, 2017, 01:44:05 PM »
Well the OC v Wave game this weekend should be another good spectacle. Between Waves "dirty" thug  play and OCs inability to stay out of the penalty box it could get ugly. It appears that Waves coach is condoning this play and OC is full of less disciplined players. OC has a few big kids but those don't seem to be their liability players that are hurting their team. I put wave by 1 this weekend

I would say that is optimistic  If you remember, the Wave only have one goalie and he is suspended.  They will be playing with a sub goalie.

WCHP

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +12/-91
« Reply #655 on: October 13, 2017, 01:56:48 PM »

I would say that is optimistic  If you remember, the Wave only have one goalie and he is suspended.  They will be playing with a sub goalie.

Maybe he will be player of the game, who knows where he will come from, he may have pressure to play really well.

JakesDad01

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +3/-6
  • Long live the Crankshaft
« Reply #656 on: October 13, 2017, 02:27:11 PM »
That's why they play the game.  :o

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #657 on: October 13, 2017, 08:37:00 PM »
Because The Wave goalie got tossed for throwing punches, he should have to own those 10 goals he gave up.

BlindZebras

• AHL
  • LR Justice +121/-201
« Reply #658 on: October 13, 2017, 10:36:58 PM »
The only way Wave beats OC is if OC plays an ineligible player, lol

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #659 on: October 14, 2017, 08:49:47 PM »
Where are the lines for this week?