This Community is For Sale - For more information contact: admin@calhockey.com

Author Topic: What AA Bantam Teams for 2018-19?  (Read 286570 times)

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
Re: What AA Bantam Teams for 2018-19?
« Reply #225 on: July 22, 2018, 03:04:03 PM »
Yeah who knows what CAHA would do.  Wasn't there a PW team or two last year that got dropped?  I think at least a Jr. Sharks team.

Yes you are correct on that last year. From what I heard and correct me for those that are in the know. I heard that team wanted to drop down vs being forced.

MO-ICETIME

• Midget
  • LR Justice +22/-24
« Reply #226 on: July 22, 2018, 03:54:36 PM »
Yeah who knows what CAHA would do.  Wasn't there a PW team or two last year that got dropped?  I think at least a Jr. Sharks team.

Yes you are correct on that last year. From what I heard and correct me for those that are in the know. I heard that team wanted to drop down vs being forced.
Teams were forced down/very strongly urged.

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #227 on: July 22, 2018, 04:37:21 PM »

Teams were forced down/very strongly urged.

Well then there will be a couple this year probably encuraged too.

lcadad

• AHL
  • LR Justice +151/-121
« Reply #228 on: July 23, 2018, 06:17:18 PM »

In the last 2 years at PWAA there were a number of teams that dropped.  The Flight system did not change anything.  As I recall, last year, both the Jr. Sharks and the Jr. Gulls had teams that dropped down after the Jamboree.  Both teams were primarily "Play up" teams with 06/07 rosters.

I'd hate the narrative begin again where CAHA is fighting the good fight against all the teams with parents who are chasing A's for their kids. 

2 Years ago we had the legendary SDIA fiasco, where SDIA after playing in the pre-season, went to CAHA and stated that they wanted to drop down to PWA.  The entire team then were given releases and resigned contracts to play PWA.  CAHA came back to them (due no doubt to the fact they had already created the schedule) and denied SDIA's request to drop.  That same season, Jr. Gulls and the Wildcats dropped teams from AA to A.  Neither team managed to end up in the top half of PWA that season, so clearly those were teams that had no business playing PWAA.

If SDIA had dropped they would have been a frontrunner in PWA without a doubt as would any of the other bottom 6 PWAA teams.  This is a problem that will never be solved, as there is always some fluidity at the top and bottom of the divisions from AAA on down.   At the end of the day, in EVERY division, you can see the teams migrate upwards or downwards typically on the basis of goal differential, and in most cases it's about 50/50 above or below the line.

JakesDad01

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +3/-6
  • Long live the Crankshaft
« Reply #229 on: July 24, 2018, 07:36:18 AM »
Okay so for Bantam AA, instead of calling it flight 1and 2, why not major and minor? Makes more sense.

Well the whole idea of it is to balance out the flights so there are no blowouts and it is more competitive.  In practice that is easier said than done and the best decisions are not always made.  Sometimes that is due to politics and sometimes just bad judgement.  Changing to minor and major makes sense but you can still lose the balance that CAHA is claiming to be doing this for.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 07:36:56 AM by JakesDad01 »

JackBender

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-20
    • Tom's Chuckle Barn
« Reply #230 on: July 24, 2018, 08:50:11 AM »
Okay so for Bantam AA, instead of calling it flight 1and 2, why not major and minor? Makes more sense.

Major and Minor are already used to separate ages within Divisions. I don't mind the flight system, there will always be arguments, but it worked out pretty well for PW and Bantam last year, I think. 
I'm your Huckleberry

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #231 on: August 02, 2018, 03:45:26 PM »

Major and Minor are already used to separate ages within Divisions. I don't mind the flight system, there will always be arguments, but it worked out pretty well for PW and Bantam last year, I think.
Kind of agree with Mr Bend(over).
The way the flights were chosen were a joke thought.
Also having a Flight 2 champion (with a banner) was more a joke.

SkatingDad

• Midget
  • LR Justice +60/-91
« Reply #232 on: August 03, 2018, 08:59:57 AM »

That is just because you did not win the banner :)

JackBender

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +49/-20
    • Tom's Chuckle Barn
« Reply #233 on: August 03, 2018, 09:10:19 AM »

Well stated, trans(gender)4761. I like the idea of the flight system... the way to pick is somewhat arbitrary, though (not thought). It was assumed every team would play each other (or close to it) at the Jamboree, but that's not really the case. A banner for a Flight 2 team is utter nonsense. The victory for winning Flight 2 is moving on to play downs, no? 
I'm your Huckleberry

Avcadet

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +7/-7
« Reply #234 on: August 03, 2018, 09:55:44 AM »
If you look at it as Major and Minor, I would not have a problem with a Minor banner since the top Minor team would not really have a chance to win AA title overall.

Bear71

• Peewee
  • LR Justice +34/-9
« Reply #235 on: August 03, 2018, 11:01:34 AM »
If you look at it as Major and Minor, I would not have a problem with a Minor banner since the top Minor team would not really have a chance to win AA title overall.
Except the banner doesn't go to the Minor team that earned the privilege of being in the Flight 1 playdowns, it goes to the winner of the Flight 2 End of Season Tournament made up of the remaining Flight 2 teams.

Pistonkev

• AHL
  • LR Justice +157/-30
« Reply #236 on: August 03, 2018, 12:52:58 PM »

LMAO  ;D

Avcadet

• Squirt
  • LR Justice +7/-7
« Reply #237 on: August 03, 2018, 12:59:49 PM »
Except the banner doesn't go to the Minor team that earned the privilege of being in the Flight 1 playdowns, it goes to the winner of the Flight 2 End of Season Tournament made up of the remaining Flight 2 teams.
IMO The flights should be kept separate without the top flight 2 team moving up to flight 1 for the playoffs. Not really sure if there is an easy answer to it all.

trans4761

• NHL
  • LR Justice +286/-342
« Reply #238 on: August 03, 2018, 04:11:23 PM »

That is true.
But a participation trophy is not something our boys strive for.
I guess someone that hasn't experienced winning anything  would not understsnd.  :)

InDZone

• Mite
  • LR Justice +4/-2
« Reply #239 on: August 03, 2018, 05:37:22 PM »

That is true.
But a participation trophy is not something our boys strive for.
I guess someone that hasn't experienced winning anything  would not understsnd.  :)

Hilarious! My understanding was that several clubs thought it was dumb and a waste of time...coaches, parents, players, etc...